Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 07, 2009

Telltale resurrects the much-loved pirate adventure franchise with Tales of Monkey Island, a five-part episodic series continuing the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood, this being the first.

I´ve been waiting since 1997..thats 12 years..

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n
    No Caption Provided
    Its really hard to believe that I´m finally playing another Monkey Island game. Sure, there was Monkey Island 4 but it didnt do it for me. For me the last true superb MI game was back in 97.
    I´ve only played 40 minutes or so of the Launch of the Screaming Narwhal and I´m already screaming with joy at my PC screen. The game had me instantly. The same voiceactors as in MI3 (Dominic Armato you are the MAN !), Michael Land creating the music and humor that feels both familiar AND completely self aware. Before the opening credits was finished I really felt that Telltale had nailed it.
    They have nailed that awesome Monkey Island feeling like I just jumped into a time machine back to 97. It all feels very "Curse of Monkey Island" so far. The introduction and the music feels like they were heavily inspired by the third game in the series, and that is truly thew game to draw inspiration from when making a sequel.
    I dont know if I´m completely into the character designs yet. Guybrush has a beard again for the first time since LeChuck´s revenge and I don´t know if I want that Guybrush to represent what he is for a new generation.
    Environments feels great but they are not nearly as detailed as in "Curse". But I guess its a product of going from 2D to 3D like always.
    Really tho, the thing I want to say here is that Telltale REALLY nailed the true Monkey Island feeling. The nail the perfect balance between speaking to the nostalgia in me and also feeling fresh when it comes to jokes and puzzlesolving. Oh yea, the puzzles. They feel updated for the new generation so far. They are LOGIC. Adventure games these days often fall into the "put the fish into your ear and blow the horn to open the door" trap. I don´t want to sit with a superguide in my web browser and alt-tab when playing a PC adventure in 2009, and it seems I wont have to with Tales of Monkey Island.
    I had crazy expectations going into this and after my first session I must congratulate Telltale on a job well done. They really went all the way into this one. They REALLY honor the source material and they are very careful not to offend old fans.
    As mentioned earlier the writing is superb. I mean its really funny, witty and smart. Monkey Island always had a special kind of humor and they have really honored that while also evolving the script to new heights that includes small winks to people who have already played through all of the games countless times.
    I am pleased. Monkey Island is a huuuge part of my childhood. As a big gamer growing up some of the fondest memories I have, all categories of life included, comes from things surrounding the old Monkey Island games.
    I never thought I would sit here and be almost all the way pleased with the new one, but I am, and its a great day because of it !
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By jimbo_n
    No Caption Provided
    Its really hard to believe that I´m finally playing another Monkey Island game. Sure, there was Monkey Island 4 but it didnt do it for me. For me the last true superb MI game was back in 97.
    I´ve only played 40 minutes or so of the Launch of the Screaming Narwhal and I´m already screaming with joy at my PC screen. The game had me instantly. The same voiceactors as in MI3 (Dominic Armato you are the MAN !), Michael Land creating the music and humor that feels both familiar AND completely self aware. Before the opening credits was finished I really felt that Telltale had nailed it.
    They have nailed that awesome Monkey Island feeling like I just jumped into a time machine back to 97. It all feels very "Curse of Monkey Island" so far. The introduction and the music feels like they were heavily inspired by the third game in the series, and that is truly thew game to draw inspiration from when making a sequel.
    I dont know if I´m completely into the character designs yet. Guybrush has a beard again for the first time since LeChuck´s revenge and I don´t know if I want that Guybrush to represent what he is for a new generation.
    Environments feels great but they are not nearly as detailed as in "Curse". But I guess its a product of going from 2D to 3D like always.
    Really tho, the thing I want to say here is that Telltale REALLY nailed the true Monkey Island feeling. The nail the perfect balance between speaking to the nostalgia in me and also feeling fresh when it comes to jokes and puzzlesolving. Oh yea, the puzzles. They feel updated for the new generation so far. They are LOGIC. Adventure games these days often fall into the "put the fish into your ear and blow the horn to open the door" trap. I don´t want to sit with a superguide in my web browser and alt-tab when playing a PC adventure in 2009, and it seems I wont have to with Tales of Monkey Island.
    I had crazy expectations going into this and after my first session I must congratulate Telltale on a job well done. They really went all the way into this one. They REALLY honor the source material and they are very careful not to offend old fans.
    As mentioned earlier the writing is superb. I mean its really funny, witty and smart. Monkey Island always had a special kind of humor and they have really honored that while also evolving the script to new heights that includes small winks to people who have already played through all of the games countless times.
    I am pleased. Monkey Island is a huuuge part of my childhood. As a big gamer growing up some of the fondest memories I have, all categories of life included, comes from things surrounding the old Monkey Island games.
    I never thought I would sit here and be almost all the way pleased with the new one, but I am, and its a great day because of it !
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Captain_Insano

sounds great, I have been hanging out for a long time. Hoping for a xbox live release cause my pc isn't worth a damn

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Absurd

If only I had a Credit Card

Avatar image for deactivated-59601bf090f91
    deactivated-59601bf090f91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Good write up, glad to hear it's fan friendly! If only there was a Mac version.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

My problem with it, is it was easy.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I totally agree. I've finished the episode and they've totally nailed it. Not that I expected anything less from telltale. Their previous games have all been great, and the number of former LucasArts employees working there meant they should have succeeded. And they have. This has got me really excited for next weeks Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition. It is a long while since I played it, and am really looking forward to playing it again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.