Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Red Screen of Death!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hamz

About 20 minutes ago I went to turn on my PS3 which I bought on the 12th of September 2009 (6 months, 2 days ago) and it presented me with the blindly bright red screen detailing (in multiple languages) that a serious error had occurred and I needed to contact Sony's technical support line. 

Let me just emphasise that this machine is less than a year old and it has died on me already without warning signs or anything indicating there was a problem with the system. Searching the internet I have found out there seems to be no way for me to fix it myself, or even an explanation about what causes it, so it looks like I will have to return it to either Sony or the retailer I bought the product from. Guess I'll have a few phone calls to make on Monday to find out who to send it back too for repair / replacement. 

Don't suppose there is any way for me to try and backup my save games? In fact does anyone have any useful tips or info on what to do when your PS3 may need repairing or replacing. Anything I should know or do to help ease the process?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I did not know this could happen? Hopefully you bought a warranty so you can get it fixed without question... Gotta love those warranty's.

EDIT: You could try and back up your save games and whatnot i believe. Take a look here and see if you will be able to do this.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hamz
    @CornontheCobbe: Cheers for the link, sadly I can't do any of what it suggests as I can't view the XMB. So it does seem like I'm screwed over on my save games and generally everything, awesome! :(

Seems like the red screen of death is pretty rare as coming across information about it is difficult. Pretty sure I have a valid warranty with either the retailer I bought the console from or Sony themselves. Just gotta root around and fine the receipts and paperwork I guess :P
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By scarace360

well that sucks for you hopefully you can get a new ps3 by Tuesday when GOD OF WAR 3 comes out. good luck with Sony.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By UncleDisco

I think the only way to back up the drive, when your ps3 is totally fucked, is to connect it to a computer and use some backup software to back it up.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By KamasamaK

I don't believe there is any way to backup if you're unable to boot the PS3. The console comes with a one year manufacturer's warranty, so it should at least be free to have fixed. I would recommend asking any questions you have to the person from Sony technical support. As long as they repair and not replace it, your data should be safe. Otherwise, it's lost since the hard drive is tied to that system.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By thebeast

That really sucks - hope it either works out or you get it repaired without much hassle. 
    Not much information about it around it seems - just lots of whiny kids. Have you tried booting it in safe mode? Even if you can't fix it from there you can at least try to back up your save games/do a factory reset.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hamz
    @TheBeast: It does indeed seem to be really rare as not even Sony's very own technical support have heard of it! The lady I got on the other end of the phone hadn't heard of it and thought I was lying. After putting her supervisor on not even he had heard of it either but he did at least understand the system had 6 months left on the warranty so I'm getting a replacement system. It gets picked up this coming Wednesday.

Sadly safe mode didn't work. The moment the PS3 starts up, either normally or in safe mod, it immediately boots to this red screen error. Seems like a game breaker of a glitch. Annoying thing is that it's a 'phat' 80gig model that survived the recent Apocalyps3 without a hitch at all and now it's soul is claimed by this error :(
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili

Great that you had the warranty and if your problem is so rare cna you post pictures or something about it?

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @Hamz said:
    " @TheBeast: It does indeed seem to be really rare as not even Sony's very own technical support have heard of it! The lady I got on the other end of the phone hadn't heard of it and thought I was lying. After putting her supervisor on not even he had heard of it either but he did at least understand the system had 6 months left on the warranty so I'm getting a replacement system. It gets picked up this coming Wednesday. Sadly safe mode didn't work. The moment the PS3 starts up, either normally or in safe mod, it immediately boots to this red screen error. Seems like a game breaker of a glitch. Annoying thing is that it's a 'phat' 80gig model that survived the recent Apocalyps3 without a hitch at all and now it's soul is claimed by this error :( "
    As someone had already brought up... if you really want to 'save' your game saves, take out the PS3's HDD and connect it to a computer and use some back-up software. The error may also be with the harddrive itself though, but I am not sure about this.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By KamasamaK
    @LtColJaxson said:
    " @Hamz said:
    " @TheBeast: It does indeed seem to be really rare as not even Sony's very own technical support have heard of it! The lady I got on the other end of the phone hadn't heard of it and thought I was lying. After putting her supervisor on not even he had heard of it either but he did at least understand the system had 6 months left on the warranty so I'm getting a replacement system. It gets picked up this coming Wednesday. Sadly safe mode didn't work. The moment the PS3 starts up, either normally or in safe mod, it immediately boots to this red screen error. Seems like a game breaker of a glitch. Annoying thing is that it's a 'phat' 80gig model that survived the recent Apocalyps3 without a hitch at all and now it's soul is claimed by this error :( "
    As someone had already brought up... if you really want to 'save' your game saves, take out the PS3's HDD and connect it to a computer and use some back-up software. "
    Even if the computer could recognize the file system, good luck decrypting it.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Red12b
    @Hamz:  
    My PS3 three red beeps and red light of death, I went to my retailer and they found my purchase information and gave me the number of SONY Technical, they gave me a number and a postage address, I was three months out of warranty and thought I might have to pay for the repairs, I went to the outsourced repairers, (You are supposed to mail them the product) and asked if they could take it I explained the situation, they said sweet no problem, we will adjust the warranty to make it covered by SONY and we will pay for shipping,  
    I lost my saves but they gave me my old HDD along with a new one in the new system, so maybe they might be able to let you keep your HDD too, don't know the deal with reformatting it though, and you can't access XMB  

Hopefully the repairers can fix it eh? 

Sorry mate, hope it gets sorted, at least you have uploaded your trophies to SONY yeah?  

cause that is the most important thing...
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool

RSOD - Rat Shit, Oh Dear. 

Still, at least it isn't a 360  ^-^ 
    I hope this is an isolated problem as I do tend to state how good the quality of the PS3 is.  Sorry to hear your tale of woe.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By luce

Well It seems your Ps3 has been possessed by Satan. 

Good luck

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lucas_kelly

I wish we could go back to the days when video game systems NEVER broke.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " I wish we could go back to the days when video game systems NEVER broke. "
    When was that? 

They always broke, it was just easier to fix them, and cheaper and compared to a 360, nowhere as frequent.  I have only ever had one console die and that was an original DS.  My SNES, Megadrive, Master System, N64 and Gameboy all still work.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Shit man, that really sucks. How could a Slim that is less than a year old break so fast?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hamz
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny: It wasn't a slim, it was a 'phat' 80 gig model so I'm wondering if this unannounced and unexplained Red Screen of Death was perhaps in some way payback for me celebrating over how my PS3 survived the Apocalyps3. In fact during that whole Y2K clock error my PS3 worked perfectly fine, clock was correct and PSN could be signed into. Maybe it's God punishing me? 

@Red12b:  Sony are giving me a full replacement console. I've come to terms with losing save games by now, I just want to continue playing some games and watching some movies rather than sitting staring at the lifeless thing.

Also what do you mean by uploading my trophies to Sony? Do you mean performing the synch operation or was/is there something I should have done to backup my trophy information? I was always under the impression trophies were connected to your PSN account so should, for example, I login to your PS3 with my PSN account then it would show my trophy info, just like it would show yours on my PS3 if you logged in. I didn't think I needed to physically backup my trophies.....I swear to god if I lose them then I will go all 'Kratos' on Sony.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Red12b
    @Hamz:  
    That is what I mean, Syncing uploads it to SONY's servers or something... 
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hamz
    @Red12b: Oh I see yeah, done that. Should be fine. Had me worried there!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.