Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jan 25, 2005

A spin-off of the Oddworld series, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath attaches an unrelated shooter to the beloved franchise as players undertake the role of a mysterious bounty hunter known as Stranger, who seeks to make a living in Oddworld's rugged West.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Remake Coming to PSN In 2011

• 109 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

A couple of months ago, Gravity Crash developer Just Add Water revealed that it was working on several Oddworld titles in collaboration with Oddworld Inhabitants and franchise creator Lorne Lanning. JAW let it be known this muggy September morning that the first fruits delivered from this fledgling relationship will come in the form of a PSN remake of 2005's Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Poised for release next Easter, Stranger's Wrath won't be a straight-to-download, quick-and-dirty remake. But it won't be a reimagining of the unique third- and first-person title, either. JAW plans to upgrade the visuals to 720p, remaster the dialogue, drop in PS Move control support, and add in a few bits of yet to be announced "bonus" content. 

No Caption Provided

== TEASER ==“Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumors circulating about what we’re working on," JAW managing director Stewart Gilray said in a statement. "Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship. Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

Stranger's Wrath, which follows the story of a bounty hunter named Stranger and has a weapon in it that makes enemies vomit uncontrollably, received heaps of critical acclaim when it was released over five years ago. I wonder what we'll think of this new, up-scaled version with "bonuses" come 2011?

Image via Eurogamer. 

UPDATE: There was a question as to if this was exclusive due to omission and JAW's relationship with Sony. I incorrectly called Stranger's Wrath a PSN-exclusive at the time of writing and do apologize for the mistake. JAWs is not considering this an exclusive, according to a Sixth Axis report.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

A couple of months ago, Gravity Crash developer Just Add Water revealed that it was working on several Oddworld titles in collaboration with Oddworld Inhabitants and franchise creator Lorne Lanning. JAW let it be known this muggy September morning that the first fruits delivered from this fledgling relationship will come in the form of a PSN remake of 2005's Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Poised for release next Easter, Stranger's Wrath won't be a straight-to-download, quick-and-dirty remake. But it won't be a reimagining of the unique third- and first-person title, either. JAW plans to upgrade the visuals to 720p, remaster the dialogue, drop in PS Move control support, and add in a few bits of yet to be announced "bonus" content. 

No Caption Provided

== TEASER ==“Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumors circulating about what we’re working on," JAW managing director Stewart Gilray said in a statement. "Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship. Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

Stranger's Wrath, which follows the story of a bounty hunter named Stranger and has a weapon in it that makes enemies vomit uncontrollably, received heaps of critical acclaim when it was released over five years ago. I wonder what we'll think of this new, up-scaled version with "bonuses" come 2011?

Image via Eurogamer. 

UPDATE: There was a question as to if this was exclusive due to omission and JAW's relationship with Sony. I incorrectly called Stranger's Wrath a PSN-exclusive at the time of writing and do apologize for the mistake. JAWs is not considering this an exclusive, according to a Sixth Axis report.
    Abs_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Abs_B

Yay never had a chance to play it first time

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By peteycoco

Make a new Abe's Oddyssey or something. If they could make those a little easier and with HD graphics... oh boy

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

Awesome. Loved the game and the series. PS3 Move support? Can't complain about that either.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It seems I can't get lucky with Strangers Wrath. Last generation I had a PS2 and no Xbox, so I couldn't play Strangers Wrath, despite being a huuuuge oddworld fan. This generation I have a 360, but no PS3. Oddworld Inhabitants were supposed to be working on PC ports of Munch's Oddysee and Strangers Wrath to be released in a package called the OddBox. They had better still be working on that. I WANT TO PLAY STRANGERS WRATH GODDAMNIT!!!! 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Well, at least it's a remake of a really goddamn excellent game.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Cybexx

Stranger's Wrath is a really good game, one I played through multiple times and I don't really do that often. Interested to see what new Oddworld games they are working on but that is probably much further down the pipe.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By recroulette

When someone mentioned the Oddworld games in a topic earlier today, I went researching to see what the Oddworld Inhabitants were up to, which led me to Just Add Water...and not a whole lot more.

This is AWESOME news. Long live Oddworld!

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @MattyFTM said:
    "  It seems I can't get lucky with Strangers Wrath. Last generation I had a PS2 and no Xbox, so I couldn't play Strangers Wrath, despite being a huuuuge oddworld fan. This generation I have a 360, but no PS3. Oddworld Inhabitants were supposed to be working on PC ports of Munch's Oddysee and Strangers Wrath to be released in a package called the OddBox. They had better still be working on that. I WANT TO PLAY STRANGERS WRATH GODDAMNIT!!!!  "
    Haha, this is exactly the same situation as me. I really want to play another Oddworld game besides the two Abe games.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely gonna buy this. Hunting down live ammo was sweet.

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DT9k

Stranger's Wrath was doooooooope!

Really wish it was BC on the 360.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EgoCheck616

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarkTravesty
    @MattyFTM said:
    "  It seems I can't get lucky with Strangers Wrath. Last generation I had a PS2 and no Xbox, so I couldn't play Strangers Wrath, despite being a huuuuge oddworld fan. This generation I have a 360, but no PS3. Oddworld Inhabitants were supposed to be working on PC ports of Munch's Oddysee and Strangers Wrath to be released in a package called the OddBox. They had better still be working on that. I WANT TO PLAY STRANGERS WRATH GODDAMNIT!!!!  "
    well from what i've read its not exclusive to the ps3 no other platforms have been announced so your not screwed yet. As i'm guessing it will come to 360 and pc sometime soon.
    Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bluethunder35

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath was originally going to be on the PS2, too, but they cancelled that version and so it was an Xbox 360 exclusive. One of the best games on the Xbox, absolutely loved it. Sadly, it didn't sell and that's why Lorne Lanning moved on to other things. Good to see that 7 years later, PS3 owners will finally have a chance to play this amazing video game.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By landon

Oh sweet, never played this but always wanted to.

Oh dang, I don't have a PS3.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By jacksukeru

YES!  
    I loved the Oddworld games on the original playstation and, after playing through the first game on PSN again, I realized I still love them. 

Unfortunately I never owned an Xbox so when the games became exclusives I had no way to play the series any longer. This made me sad. 

This news however, makes me very happy.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By Timing

You know, on second thought I'm a little disappointed that this turned out to be the Oddworld project that was announced a month and a half ago. I would of course rather have seen a new game, but fortunately JAW spoke of multiple projects across multiple platforms, so a new game might still come someday.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cookiemonster

bet its a timed exclusive. And Move support sounds crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5db763973ec51
    deactivated-5db763973ec51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Underrated game that didn't sell so well. Let's hope the rerelease will help it get the recognition it deserves.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By danielkempster
    @MattyFTM said:
    "  It seems I can't get lucky with Strangers Wrath. Last generation I had a PS2 and no Xbox, so I couldn't play Strangers Wrath, despite being a huuuuge oddworld fan. This generation I have a 360, but no PS3.  "
    I share your pain, because I've found myself in exactly the same situation. Regardless, an opportunity for more people to experience any Oddworld game is a fine thing in my book, so this release can only be a good thing.
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Tesla

I'd rather have remakes of the older 2D Oddworld games, but this is welcome news.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Helimocopter

i have the xbox one, but my xbox is broken, and the backwards compatibility list does not include this game
    it is one of my favorite video games, and it makes me sad

rottendevice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rottendevice

They are remaking the best Oddworld there is. 

The one thing that worries me though is that they're "remastering the dialog".  The voice acting in Stranger's Wrath is fantastic as it is.

Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Demonstride

YES! I've been waiting for a Stranger's Wrath remake that was my favorite game of the last generation!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rowr

I'm down. I recall the original being quite good.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By aaox

OH SHIIIIT I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO PLAY THIS GAME FOR YEARS

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By Castiel

Fuck yes! 

Suck on that xbox wankers!!!

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Terry_Bogard

It's weird that this is my favorite game of all time.. but I don't care at all about this news. I guess it's because JAW sucks. =\

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper
    @dankempster said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    "  It seems I can't get lucky with Strangers Wrath. Last generation I had a PS2 and no Xbox, so I couldn't play Strangers Wrath, despite being a huuuuge oddworld fan. This generation I have a 360, but no PS3.  "
    I share your pain, because I've found myself in exactly the same situation. Regardless, an opportunity for more people to experience any Oddworld game is a fine thing in my book, so this release can only be a good thing. "
    I'm in the same boat. Loved the PS1 classics but never got to play any others. I went back and played through 1 & 2 not long ago and they're still just as good. Hopefully after this game they'll go and make another 2d game with modern day CG backrounds that animate. The old PS1 backrounds look a little ancient by todays standards but they'd look pretty great again if all the pixelation was taken away.
    Izzy_sinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Izzy_sinz

Got to say i loved the original Oddworld titles but these seem to have lost some of that originality of the first games

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By Timing
    @rottendevice said:
    " They are remaking the best Oddworld there is.  The one thing that worries me though is that they're "remastering the dialog".  The voice acting in Stranger's Wrath is fantastic as it is. "
    What I hope they mean by that is that they're improving the audio quality of the voices. I agree, the acting itself was good enough, but they somehow messed up the volume completely and on top of that had no option for subtitles, making it very difficult to understand what was being said most of the time. Like I said in the other thread, should be something easy enough to fix, right?
    Gorikka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gorikka

If this isn't a timed exclusive, I'm giving up video games forever.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Enigma777

Awesome  news! I was so bummed out when I found that you couldn't play Stranger's Wrath on a 360.

Not too keen on the Move support part though.

WhatTheDang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WhatTheDang

This is great news because it was a fantastic game that basically no one played. 

Almost makes me want to hook up the original Xbox (due to it not being backwards compatible) and play the copy I picked up for like $5 on eBay. 

Rongaryen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Rongaryen

I've heard this game was good back when it first came out but, I never owned an Original Xbox so this looks like a chance to finally play it.

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Godlovesugly

By our very own Jeff Gerstmann

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#37  Edited By Forcen
    Reptil3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#38  Edited By Reptil3
    rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By rjpelonia

Awesome, I always did want to play that game.

Freelancer52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Freelancer52

This makes me very happy, I grew up on the original Oddworld games and never got a chance to play strangers wrath so glad its coming to the ps3

Shibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shibbles

Stranger's Wrath is totally rad, and I'm glad that it's happening. Hopefully it'll lead the way to remakes of all of the games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great news! I loved this game. Also PSN!? it was an xbox  exclusive back in the day.

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By ObsideonDarman

I never played Strangers Wrath so it will be nice to see how it turns out come next Easter

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DrBeardface

Hooray!  Oddworld isn't dead!  Just comatose!

eillothebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By eillothebadger

I want abe and his green farts. Follow me.

Avatar image for krystal_sackful
    Krystal_Sackful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Krystal_Sackful

Oh jeez! This is amazing!
    Hopefully they'll re-do the voice acting.

EpicReflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EpicReflex

Great game 

Avatar image for deactivated-6256d396c4133
    deactivated-6256d396c4133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That game was fucking hard.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By artofwar420

Done and done. This is great news.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally I will be able to finish this game. The first time I got it the copy I bought was scratched to hell and I only got to play about 2-3 hours of it, and when I returned it they didn't have any other copies. Now I can finally play and finish this amazing game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.