Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Obsidian Entertainment

Company »

Obsidian is a California-based developer most famous for their PC RPGs. The studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2018.

Obsidian Inspired by Double FIne and Kickstart.

• 96 results
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I want Bravo Protocol. You know, the sequel to Alpha Protocol with a title progression that makes sense, keeps enough of the title so you know it's related, but ditches enough of it to be like, "Yeah, we know there was a lot of cool stuff in the first, but it was also kinda messed up, but this one is way better."

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By kindgineer

What couldn't they make that I would love?

• KOTOR 3
    • Neverwinter Nights 3
    • Alpha Protocol 2 ( I still think they first was fun )

I wouldn't mind seeing another Dungeon Siege that is a little more...deep.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Grissefar

Who the fuck is going to help fund an Obsidian Kickstart that would just result in yet another broken mess? If they really wanted to Kickstart, they should make one to hire a QA department. Or they could make one to eat a dick. Or to close Obsidian Entertainment once and for all - a true happy ending.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By zaglis

Valve should jump in while its still hot and add an official ''Kickstarter'' page on Steam.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By hugh_jazz

@Grissefar: I think it would be a fair assumption that the quality of a game funded by Obsidian and as such not affected by a publisher would be different. I would also posit that the quality of such a game probably would be higher, to the detriment of scope perhaps, as the studio could entirely plan the game on their own knowing how much capital is available.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By Animasta

@Grissefar said:

Who the fuck is going to help fund an Obsidian Kickstart that would just result in yet another broken mess? If they really wanted to Kickstart, they should make one to hire a QA department. Or they could make one to eat a dick. Or to close Obsidian Entertainment once and for all - a true happy ending.

fuck you, obsidian is the best video game developer, also fuck you

(as far as I know DS2 wasn't buggy at all because it was on their own engine, so...)

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I'd support a new Planescape game, easily and not a sequel, just another game in that universe.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By AndrewB

From Obsidian?

I would like them to make exactly the game game they wanted to make. To be for once completely unshackled, able to dictate the direction and the amount of time necessary to put out a complete product. I feel like they've never quite been given the chance, with Alpha Protocol being the closest thing to an exception.

If I had to choose a dream project for them to work on? Then my answer would perhaps obviously be a spiritual successor to games similar to Baldur's Gate. If Bioware won't develop one and no indy developer I've caught wind of will either, then why not the closest thing to the Bioware/Black Isle of olde?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#59  Edited By Dagbiker

Neverwinter Nights kinda sucked. Kotar was ok. Balder's gate doesn't need a sequel. and Icewind dale is too hard for today's audience. Planescape was pretty cool though.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By swoxx

I'd never kickstart a fucking Obsidian game.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By falling_fast

@Dagbiker said:

Neverwinter Nights kinda sucked. Kotar was ok. Balder's gate doesn't need a sequel. and Icewind dale is too hard for today's audience. Planescape was pretty cool though.

except for Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment, Obsidian Entertainment and Black Isle didn't make, or at least weren't the main developer on, any of those games. those were all bioware games. They did however make Neverwinter Nights 2, and Kotor 2, which were both improvements on the original games (although with kotor II you basically need the restoration mod, because Lucasarts fucked obsidian over hard when they were making that game, so it was released unfinished :( . Same thing with Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines, although I don't believe the project lead on that one works for Obsidian.)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By fattony12000

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Rattle618 said:

Well the difference between Double Fine and Obsidian is that Obsidian usually has some neat ideas but ultimately fucks up a lot of their projects, so I would not give them a penny until I can see for myself what the finished product is.

Obsidian does have admittedly have a history of trying to do too much, with too little development time and releasing unpolished games, but if you look at Dungeon Siege 3, first one developed with their own engine, it's rock solid and bug free.

And New Vegas, a 5+ million selling monster hit BTW, wasn't really any worse than the bugfest Bethesta's engine usually delivers - I remember having to give up on Daggerfall back in the day due bugs breaking the quests in my savegame.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Grissefar

@Animasta said:

@Grissefar said:

(as far as I know DS2 wasn't buggy at all because it was on their own engine, so...)

Instead of sucking their cock so hard, maybe you should play some of their games instead. That is, if you can even get past the main menu without crashing.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By hugh_jazz

@Grissefar: All that hate.

Yeah, Obsidian has made some buggy-ass games. I still enjoyed Alpha Protocol more than I enjoyed most of both Mass Effect games or Human Revolution, regardless of the jank. So maybe I'd like more of that stuff, and feel like my money would be well placed.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Rattle618

@BlackLagoon said:

@Rattle618 said:

Well the difference between Double Fine and Obsidian is that Obsidian usually has some neat ideas but ultimately fucks up a lot of their projects, so I would not give them a penny until I can see for myself what the finished product is.

Obsidian does have admittedly have a history of trying to do too much, with too little development time and releasing unpolished games, but if you look at Dungeon Siege 3, first one developed with their own engine, it's rock solid and bug free.

And New Vegas, a 5+ million selling monster hit BTW, wasn't really any worse than the bugfest Bethesta's engine usually delivers - I remember having to give up on Daggerfall back in the day due bugs breaking the quests in my savegame.

Yeah but the point is I cant trust them until I see what they´ve done. Also, Dungeon Siege 3 might be rock solid but it is not an interesting game in many aspects to me, I wont talk about New Vegas cause I did not play it (I hated Fallout 3).

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MrKlorox

I wonder who owns the Arcanum franchise right now. Is it Activision?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#68  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@MrKlorox said:

I wonder who owns the Arcanum franchise right now. Is it Activision?

Yes, it's Activision, so honestly the chances of that license ever being used again for anything other than Good Old Games re-release cash money is about zero. But Arcanum wasn't made by Black Isle, it was made by Troika. Sure, similar roots, but if Obsidian were to make a sequel to that game, they'd ironically be doing what they've made their living out of: making a sequel to someone else's RPG property.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#69  Edited By Chris2KLee

I'd love to see a top down old school RPG from Obsidian, but it'd have to be an original IP. The Planescape setting, while mostly unused as of late, is still owned by Wizards of the Coast, and I can't imagine they would just let it go for cheap.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Animasta

@Grissefar said:

@Animasta said:

@Grissefar said:

Instead of sucking their cock so hard, maybe you should play some of their games instead. That is, if you can even get past the main menu without crashing.

huh then I wonder how I spent 155 hours playing new vegas, or 34 playing alpha protocol

Henny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Henny

Sorry I would not trust Obsidian with any of my hard earned money. They write great stories but bad with keeping games bug free.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@ShaggE said:

+1 For Alpha Pro2col.

I agree with the sentiment, but jesus.

Great work.

ABK_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ABK_92

@damnable_fiend said:

@CL60 said:

@Animasta

@shootermcclay said:

Invest "all the money" into South Park: The Game.

no fuck you let them make a good game that isn't based on some shitty cartoon

You realize they're already making south park the game, right?

the point is that they can make more than one game at once, and that that South Park game doesn't deserve extra funding.

Eat a dick. South Park is amazing.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#74  Edited By zyn

@Grissefar said:

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Animasta

if only obsidian could make good games like dragon age 2

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By jakob187

@steveurkel said:

a non buggy game
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#77  Edited By Zippedbinders

I'm always surprised at how divisive Obsidian is with people. They're either awesome or some kind of goddamn monster. The only middle ground appears to be apathy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Improved Alpha Protocol. Make it Isometric and we're in business.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By falling_fast

@Animasta said:

if only obsidian could make good games like dragon age 2

lol

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By chrissedoff

Maybe we can raise enough money that the folks who work at Obsidian can retire and stop embarrassing themselves with their shoddy games.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By chrissedoff

@brahjk43 said:

@damnable_fiend: You realize that South Park is not a shitty cartoon. It is a biting satire of our times.

I hope this post is intended as a biting satire of people who enjoy South Park.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#82  Edited By bvilleneuve

I'm surprised at all the South Park hate around here. It's one of the smartest shows on television.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By CL60

@chrissedoff said:

Maybe we can raise enough money that the folks who work at Obsidian can retire and stop embarrassing themselves with their shoddy games.

Obsidian makes great games.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By scarace360

@Animasta said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Honestly, I'd like them to just go balls out and make an old-style hardcore RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Will that happen? No. But a man can dream.

That WAS what he first responded to; an old school, isometric RPG

im in i would give 100$

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By TheHT
    @bvilleneuve said:

I'm surprised at all the South Park hate around here. It's one of the smartest shows on television.

Not everyone is smart.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By chrissedoff

@CL60: Obsidian makes enjoyable stories & characters that live inside games that don't work properly.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#87  Edited By Brendan

So, which one of you that is suggesting Alpha Protocol 2 actually thinks that Kickstarter can somehow fund a 50 million dollar budget? The only reason Duoble Fine's situation is workable is because its a small in scale, point and click adventure game. Even if they raise 2 or 3 million by the end of the fundraising, and that success can be copied by other developers, that's still no where close to the amount of money needed for a large scale game. I must missing a joke or something, because I feel like I'm writing the most stupidly obvious comment ever typed.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mylifeforAiur

A Fallout game similar in presentation and gamplay to Fallout and Fallout 2, please. Oh, with the addition of more voice-acting, though.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Gruff182

Vampire the Masqurade: Something.

They could also use a kickstart in Coders recruitment.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BlackLagoon

@chrissedoff: I dunno, Alpha Protocol worked well enough for me to platinum it, and a have a blast doing so. Once I got used it its aiming mechanic and learned how to use the skill abilities properly, it played pretty well.

All the bad press the game got actually annoys me - I almost didn't buy the game (even at a bargain price) because of it, and then ended up reading lots of story spoilers in the trophy guides because I thought this was something I'd just plow though once and forget.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By FunExplosions

Let's get a new Baldur's Gate going with this. Bioware isn't allowed to touch it.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By chrissedoff

@FunExplosions: Is there any more story left to tell in the Baldur's Gate series? The protagonist is a demigod by the end of Throne of Bhaal. Where do you go from there?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By tim_the_corsair

@ShaggE said:

+1 For Alpha Pro2col.

I agree...but fuck you :D

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By FunExplosions

@chrissedoff said:

@FunExplosions: Is there any more story left to tell in the Baldur's Gate series? The protagonist is a demigod by the end of Throne of Bhaal. Where do you go from there?

Well at least just something else done in that Infinity Engine style, preferably in the same world as all those great games. A modern version of those, with good pathfinding, good party control, better visuals, etc. would be great. Of course, the hard part would be knowing whether or not they were truly going to revamp those style of games to their fullest, or just streamline them to shit like Dragon Age.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By falling_fast

it almost certainly couldn't be a sequel of any sort, because that would require dealing with a publisher, or at least paying an arm and a leg for a licence, becuase Obsidian doesn't own any of its own IPs, not even Alpha Protocol (Sega owns that).

Besides which, as has been said before, games like Alpha Protocol would require massive amounts of funding far beyond the scope of what is being proposed here. Oh, and also they need to have console versions, which in turn means that they need to be sold in meat life stores, and that also requires a publisher.

which is why they should make it in the style of the old Infinity Engine games (but not using the Infinity Engine I assume), with an all new story and setting, and also new rules, because it wouldn't be using the D&D or Fallout rules systems.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#96  Edited By TerraMantis

@Brendan:

Most of you are mistaken about how much of a budget goes into the development of a game. In actuality, more often than not, commercials or advertising surpasses the actual money needed to make the game they're advertising by almost double, sometimes much much more.

This is an older list of the top 20, or so, most expensively developed games.

A more contemporary list looking something like this.

1. SW:ToR - 130-200 million
    2. GTA IV - 100 million
    3. Gran Turismo 5 - 80 million
    4. Shenmue - 70 million
    5. Too Human - 60 million
    6. MGS 4 - 60 million
    7. Halo 3 - 55 million
    8. APB - 50 million
    9. LA Niore - 50 million
    10. FF XII - 48 million

After this the prices begin to fall substantially, with Red Steel coming at about 20th with a budget of 12 million.

It was estimated that Alpha Protocol's budget was around 6 million. AP sold around 700k copies and even at an average of 30$ per copy that is still 15 million in profits.

I did personally enjoy my super secret agent JB simulator -- Jack Bauer (agressive), Jason Borne (professional), or James Bond (suave)-- Obsidian doesn't own the rights regardless.

Although I am not saying I want another Alpha Protocol, even though I really liked the game with oddities and all (there was some genius hidden under all of the muck), it is definitely not out of the realm of possibilities for Obsidian to get a Kickstart budget of around half of that and compensate with their own money to fill the gap. I would assume that hopefully the company keeps some of their own reserves and is not simply working pay check to pay check, or in this case, game to game to keep Obsidian a float. I doubt that is the case.

I think they could easily use something with the aesthetics and feel of the Infinity Engine (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape) or even use Aurora Engine (Neverwinter 1&2 SW: KotoR 2, and Witcher 1) to lower costs and create a game that people are really looking for while still coming out very much ahead, even before making profit off of game sales.

From what I've been reading from people's responses and then taking into consideration cost, licensing, and what people want, the most likely fruitful outcome would be some type of completely new IP (medieval fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise) with a classic old-school feel; like that of a Fallout, Planescape, NWN, or something of the sort. I personally don't care as long as the story is well-written and perplexing and the gameplay emphasizes the same qualities. I simply want tactically challenging gameplay (whether it be action or turn-based is up to them) in an interesting universe and characters to fill it.

Hot_in_rhinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Hot_in_rhinos

@bvilleneuve said:

That is where you'd be wrong. It is the smartest show on television. With maybe Breaking Bad or The Wire coming in a very close second, but with no where near the lengthy track record.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.