Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Obsidian Entertainment

Company »

Obsidian is a California-based developer most famous for their PC RPGs. The studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2018.

Obsidian Inspired by Double FIne and Kickstart.

• 96 results
    TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By TerraMantis

Obsidian wondering what players would have an interest in them making next.

Chris Avellone from Obsidian wrote this originally on the Obsidian forums.

"All of Double Fine’s success from Kickstarter has been inspiring.

I GUESS PEOPLE LOVE THOSE CLASSIC ADVENTURE GAMES AFTER ALL.*

The idea of player-supported funding is... well, it’s proof certain genres aren’t dead and sequels may have more legs than they seem. And the idea of not having to argue that with a publisher is appealing.

Out of curiosity, if Obsidian did Kickstart a project, what would you want to see funded? (You can respond in comments or to @ChrisAvellone on Twitter, whichever you prefer.)

* I only use all caps for sarcasm and shouting. And for the Think Tank in Old World Blues for comedy value."

Here's personally what I'd like to see

Planescape: Astral

The Astral Plane is the plane where gods go when they die or are forgotten (or, most likely, both).

This could be a fantastic premise for an amazing group-based Role-Playing Game. You could play as a dwindling deity, soon to be forgotten. With your future about to be undone the protagonist (or anti, depending on player choice) could set forth with the goal of becoming a newfound god. You would need to start off small with a task that an extraordinary human might be able to accomplish with a goal of making people not realize you were a god but allowing people to praise you along the way. Possibly you could begin by saving a town from a Mindflayer (whatever) and they would build a statue of you to commemorate the heroic deed; not knowing that it was actually paying homage to a deity. You could gain followers and devotees that you could, as you became more powerful, later bestow upon them their strengths to individualize your party and form a powerful group. Your journey to divinity could start as that simple statue in a town square and a few followers and then it could evolve into worshipers, sacrifices (if you’re evil), overseeing the construction of monuments larger than the pyramids of Giza paying tribute to you, and even usurping or allying with other aspiring gods.

You would shape your omnipotence based on decisions and those choices would manifest in the type of play style and “class” build you would become. For example, if you had a silver tongue you could be a god of truces and resolve outcomes peacefully or if you were a more nefarious type you could use your word of mouth to manipulate others to have situations unfold in such a way that parties would pit against one another to do your killing for you. Or perhaps you want to be wrathful for a visceral warrior stylization or be the god of the night to blend into shadows for stealthy approaches. Maybe your deity would be so inclined to begin paying their own tribute to the Inner Planes which represents Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and positive and negative energies to give your deity a feeling like that of a Mage.

Since you are starting off essentially as a forgotten deity you would begin your journey as basically a human-like entity. This could be a fantastic way to feel the progression of your character as they grew stronger and found new worshipers to grow your ever-evolving powers. This would actually make sense when early-on you are simply slitting throats with a weak dagger, but then latter are able to turn into mist, force push, or make something implode with a simple snap of the fingers.

As far as gameplay goes I would like it to be along the lines of KotoR 2, NWN2, or something with TACTICAL turn-based RPG with a group that I am able to customize and is extremely flexible. I wrote a large blog on how to help DA3 with constructive criticism, not just criticism, and I think that a lot of my ideas to make it a better tactical turn-based group RPG were some really good ideas and some of them have never been seen before in the sub-genre.

Anyone else like this at all? Planescape universe but not a continuation of “the nameless one’s” tale. I know I would pitch-up my 15$ toward kickstarting it if Obsidian was behind it.

What do you think? What should Obsidian make next?

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TerraMantis

Obsidian wondering what players would have an interest in them making next.

Chris Avellone from Obsidian wrote this originally on the Obsidian forums.

"All of Double Fine’s success from Kickstarter has been inspiring.

I GUESS PEOPLE LOVE THOSE CLASSIC ADVENTURE GAMES AFTER ALL.*

The idea of player-supported funding is... well, it’s proof certain genres aren’t dead and sequels may have more legs than they seem. And the idea of not having to argue that with a publisher is appealing.

Out of curiosity, if Obsidian did Kickstart a project, what would you want to see funded? (You can respond in comments or to @ChrisAvellone on Twitter, whichever you prefer.)

* I only use all caps for sarcasm and shouting. And for the Think Tank in Old World Blues for comedy value."

Here's personally what I'd like to see

Planescape: Astral

The Astral Plane is the plane where gods go when they die or are forgotten (or, most likely, both).

This could be a fantastic premise for an amazing group-based Role-Playing Game. You could play as a dwindling deity, soon to be forgotten. With your future about to be undone the protagonist (or anti, depending on player choice) could set forth with the goal of becoming a newfound god. You would need to start off small with a task that an extraordinary human might be able to accomplish with a goal of making people not realize you were a god but allowing people to praise you along the way. Possibly you could begin by saving a town from a Mindflayer (whatever) and they would build a statue of you to commemorate the heroic deed; not knowing that it was actually paying homage to a deity. You could gain followers and devotees that you could, as you became more powerful, later bestow upon them their strengths to individualize your party and form a powerful group. Your journey to divinity could start as that simple statue in a town square and a few followers and then it could evolve into worshipers, sacrifices (if you’re evil), overseeing the construction of monuments larger than the pyramids of Giza paying tribute to you, and even usurping or allying with other aspiring gods.

You would shape your omnipotence based on decisions and those choices would manifest in the type of play style and “class” build you would become. For example, if you had a silver tongue you could be a god of truces and resolve outcomes peacefully or if you were a more nefarious type you could use your word of mouth to manipulate others to have situations unfold in such a way that parties would pit against one another to do your killing for you. Or perhaps you want to be wrathful for a visceral warrior stylization or be the god of the night to blend into shadows for stealthy approaches. Maybe your deity would be so inclined to begin paying their own tribute to the Inner Planes which represents Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and positive and negative energies to give your deity a feeling like that of a Mage.

Since you are starting off essentially as a forgotten deity you would begin your journey as basically a human-like entity. This could be a fantastic way to feel the progression of your character as they grew stronger and found new worshipers to grow your ever-evolving powers. This would actually make sense when early-on you are simply slitting throats with a weak dagger, but then latter are able to turn into mist, force push, or make something implode with a simple snap of the fingers.

As far as gameplay goes I would like it to be along the lines of KotoR 2, NWN2, or something with TACTICAL turn-based RPG with a group that I am able to customize and is extremely flexible. I wrote a large blog on how to help DA3 with constructive criticism, not just criticism, and I think that a lot of my ideas to make it a better tactical turn-based group RPG were some really good ideas and some of them have never been seen before in the sub-genre.

Anyone else like this at all? Planescape universe but not a continuation of “the nameless one’s” tale. I know I would pitch-up my 15$ toward kickstarting it if Obsidian was behind it.

What do you think? What should Obsidian make next?

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By steveurkel

a non buggy game

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kpaadet

I dont know if they still have the Icewind Dale IPs, but if they made Icewind Dale 3 I would definitely throw some money at them.

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MrRedwine

Alpha Protocol with lessons learned.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

they're not going to make a sequel to planescape because atari owns the rights. spiritual sequel, maybe, but...

I want them to make something original, whatever it ends up being.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spartanlolz92

@steveurkel said:

a non buggy game

yes please lol

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

let them make Alpha Protocol 2, and make sure they spend as much time as they need. I would fucking send them money and patiently wait to 2015 if it means a legitimately good AP.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By delta_ass

Obsidian needs Kickstart, for all the crappy games they make...

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By falling_fast

@spartanlolz92 said:

@steveurkel said:

a non buggy game

yes please lol

to be fair, the main reason companies end up releasing buggy games is pressure from publishers.

I'm pretty sure that Alpha Protocol is owned by Sega, so that's a no. and all the D&D properties are locked up by other companies.

It would probably have to be a new original IP.

regardless, I would be more than happy to fund a new Obsidian game

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShaggE

+1 For Alpha Pro2col.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Honestly, I'd like them to just go balls out and make an old-style hardcore RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Will that happen? No. But a man can dream.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@ArbitraryWater said:

Honestly, I'd like them to just go balls out and make an old-style hardcore RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Will that happen? No. But a man can dream.

That WAS what he first responded to; an old school, isometric RPG

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

I imagine something like Alpha Protocol would cost way too much for this.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By falling_fast

@Animasta said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

paging Dave Snider to this thread

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By morningstar

Isometric old school rpg please =)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Animasta said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Consider me corrected than. I would support the everliving shit (i.e. $15) out of an Obsidian project like that. Would it be buggy and broken as all hell? Probably. But it would also have a lot of interesting ideas and really good writing.

shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shootermcclay
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

@Jimbo said:

All they have to do is trademark the name "Alpha Pro2col" and I'll be happy. No actual game needs to come of it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

@shootermcclay said:

Invest "all the money" into South Park: The Game.

no fuck you let them make a good game that isn't based on some shitty cartoon

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By falling_fast

@Animasta said:

@shootermcclay said:

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60
    @Animasta

@shootermcclay said:

You realize they're already making south park the game, right?
    falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By falling_fast

@CL60 said:

@Animasta

@shootermcclay said:

the point is that they can make more than one game at once, and that that South Park game doesn't deserve extra funding.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai

@Animasta said:

@shootermcclay said:

brahjk43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By brahjk43

@damnable_fiend: You realize that South Park is not a shitty cartoon. It is a biting satire of our times.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

=( I think I really need to get around to finishing PST.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By falling_fast

@BeachThunder said:

it's like 10 bucks on good old games I think.

you really should finish it, it's fantastic, especially once you've gotten to the undead city and everything after that.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#27  Edited By BeachThunder

@damnable_fiend said:

@BeachThunder said:

it's like 10 bucks on good old games I think.

you really should finish it, it's fantastic :]

Oh, I have the game, but I just find it way too overwhelming to get into; hopefully soon I'll get back to playing it...

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hugh_jazz

I'm not sure that making just any type of game would work for getting all that Kickstarter money(obvious, I know), which seems to be that a lot of people are taking this as. He asked after the type of game people would like to see and would back with donations, but I hardly think "A game with these features and this setting" is the point of that question. The Double Fine project was successful because a Tim Schafer adventure game is a big deal regardless of anything else, since we remember them so fondly. I think, in order to be able to garner attention and interest, they'd just need to make something that they're known for. Sadly, Obsidian isn't known for a lot of good these days it seems. Black Isle is no more, Chris Avellone isn't a name that carries much weight these days, and Obsidian hasn't had a runaway success for people to fondly remember.

Keeping in mind that there is an old school RPG crowd somewhere out there creeping about, I'd say the game they should kickstart and would probably be the most successful is a Chris Avellone RPG.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By falling_fast

@Hugh_Jazz said:

ping in mind that there is an old school RPG crowd somewhere out there creeping about, I'd say the game they should kickstart and would probably be the most successful is a Chris Avellone RPG.

I kind of assumed that that was the idea. and yeah, obviously this kind of funding only works if you have something that a lot of people really want, and that doesn't necessarily require AAA game levels of funding. and I think you're underestimating how many people have crazy love for the original Fallout games and for Planescape: Torment, which people from Obsidian were obviously deeply involved in making.

personally, I've really enjoyed all of Obsidian's games, but I realize that that puts me in something of a minority group.

Regardless, I do think that the promise of ex-Black Isle guys making a new old school style isometric rpg has fairly wide appeal.

I wish kickstarter would deal with paypal, though.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#30  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

If they had the funding, I'd love to see a full blown Bethesda-esque sequel to Arcanum. I know, I know, IP's and all that.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@MrRedwine said:

Alpha Protocol with lessons learned.

Burn, but yes, this.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coakroach

A game about bug testing a game.

It should be full of bugs.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Zippedbinders

@damnable_fiend said:

@CL60 said:

the point is that they can make more than one game at once, and that that South Park game doesn't deserve extra funding.

Avellone already tweeted something about Josh Sawyer working on something that isn't South Park, implying they're working on at least two games already. I don't know how big Obsidian is, but anything more that two games seems like chaos, unless South Park isn't that hard of a project.

Even as someone who isn't super keen on most CRPGs, I'm a huge fan of New Vegas and the writing these guys can do. So letting these guys play around with something more personal to them than their usual mercenary developer work sounds exciting. I'm hoping this winds up crazy in a good way.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By ajamafalous
    @ShaggE said:

Alpha Pro2col.

Fuck.
    Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Harpell

Isometric old-school RPG. It's what the devs are moat fondly remembered for, and would be righ in line with a kickstarter budget.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hugh_jazz

@damnable_fiend: There's a lot of love for the old Black Isle games, for sure, and that'd probably be the thing that makes any Kickstarter project successful for Obsidian. I'm just doubting if the connection between Black Isle and Obsidian is strong enough in reality, if people are cognisant enough of the connection and whether Chris Avellone is a name that means as much for RPGs as the name Tim Schafer does for adventure games.

What I tried to convey, and I assume failed miserably, is that if you have a look at Avellone's blog post, there're a lot of comments detailing exactly the type of game that should be used for this Kickstarter project(down to setting, atmosphere, budgetary considerations), when naturally it's the job of the developer to come up with that design. The promise of a Kickstarter project, just like Double Fine nailed, would have to be for a concept more than an actual product in order to be successful. I'm not sure Obsidian can promise to make the RPG Black Isle fans have been wanting them to do, because I'm not sure Obsidian's reputation can lend weight to that promise.

That said, if Obsidian does do something like this, I'm there day one with my money. They still haven't made a game to disappoint me.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TerraMantis

@Hugh_Jazz:

I tend to agree with basically everything you said.

I was just simply throwing an idea out there that I had which I came up with in about 10 minutes. I guess what I am saying is that I would like to see a group-based tactical Pen&paper-like RPG; like KotoR2 or NWN2 (which is 100% Obsidian and "not" Black Isle). BUT, by suggesting that I would like it to be a Planescape game I would say that I am implying that I would also like it to be grittier, more mature, and have a unique setting. Sort of like that of the Witcher franchise which is a franchise that is targeted at gamers and mature ones at that. Witcher has sophisticated gameplay through multiple aspects besides character customization alone. And by suggesting Planescape at least it would give them an IP to attach some sort of fan base so they didn't have to start with an unknown IP that people might be hesitant to support. I doubt they will be able to get the rights for it though seeing as how, from what people seem to be saying, Atari still owns the rights to all DnD games. I thought their IP time span had run out on DnD, guess not. That being said, Atari did just publish some good games like Witcher 2. Maybe Obsidian wouldn't have to "kickstart" anything; maybe they should simply get in talks with Atari about making a new Planescape. Or maybe a new Temple of Elemental Evil.....wwwooooooo. =)

I for one, would not care if they did all of the above and made it a new IP. If obsidian said "intelligent group-based RPG" (it doesn't need to be pen'n paper-ish) I would do the kickstart thing in a heartbeat.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By endaround

@Hugh_Jazz: Obsidian is Black Isle. The staff of Obsidian is closer to the staff of Black Isle than any developer is to itself 10 to 15 years ago.. Fergus has been openly musing about doing a IE type game for about a year now. People know.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Jimbo said:

If they made it top down, twin-stick shooter style, and used motion comics instead of animated cutscenes, they could pull it off with a much lower budget. That said, they're probably better off testing the waters with something that leverages their Black Isle heritage the most - an isometric turn based RPG.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Marz

Another planescape is too hopeful for this type of project, as they would have to License DnD and that would probably cost alot of money in itself. I'd be down for another Alpha Protocol with more polish if they could raise 5 million plus, (i doubt it though).

Hell, maybe they could do a Vampire the Masquerade(license probably less expensive) game, Obsidian has former Troika employees don't they?

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @brahjk43 said:

@damnable_fiend: You realize that South Park is not a shitty cartoon. It is a biting satire of our times.

Nah it's a shitty cartoon.
    Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sogeman

I payed 2€ for Alpha Protocol. They'll never get any money from me again.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Hugh_Jazz: What matters is what the word of mouth is, and I expect that will be something like "The guys who did the original Fallouts and Planescape: Torment want to make another game in that style!". It much easier for people to relate to than two names (Obsidian and Black Isle) a lot of fans of the games won't know, and already happened a lot during the release of New Vegas.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hugh_jazz

@endaround said:

@Hugh_Jazz: Obsidian is Black Isle. The staff of Obsidian is closer to the staff of Black Isle than any developer is to itself 10 to 15 years ago.. Fergus has been openly musing about doing a IE type game for about a year now. People know.

Then the connection is strong in reality(I had figured that it was just the core talent that was the same, as people do tend to move around a bit over the years), but as evidenced by my ignorance that isn't necessarily too commonly known. Just like Tim Schafer brings to mind games like Full Throttle out of at least my childhood, Black Isle brings to mind the games that they made, also memories from my childhood. That nostalgia is a powerful thing, and Obsidian isn't old enough to have had any games out that I remember fondly through those glasses. I'm afraid that's the same for a lot of people who don't connect the dots between Black Isle and Obsidian.

Hope to God they get to make another classic RPG. I'd be down with them for that.

@TerraMantis: Yeah, ditto on all of that, but I'm assuming licensing is pretty much out of the question when it comes to things like Kickstarter.

Planescape Torment is my favourite game of all time, which is pretty much the whole reason why I don't want to see another Planescape game. I don't want that association mucking up anything in my mind.

For my money, I'd rather have them work on something entirely original, see what comes out.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hugh_jazz

@BlackLagoon: I never really noticed that with New Vegas, but for all that is holy I surely hope you're right and that word of mouth would have an effect.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Old school RPG (or Neverwinter Nights 3!), make it happen!

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48  Edited By bvilleneuve

I'm not going to ask for a sequel to Planescape, because that story is perfect and self-contained and in my opinion explores those themes and characters in a way that means they never really need to be explored by that team ever again, and plus the licensing would be a nightmare (considering it is an essentially defunct campaign setting that all parties involved know carries a lot of weight in certain circles). What I want is for Chris Avellone and team to decide what's important to them and to then put together a brand-new isometric RPG in a new setting that explores that new theme with all the verve and character of Planescape: Torment.

I'm prepared to throw in a frightening amount of money for that prospect.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Sooty

I hope SEGA start a Kickstarter for an XBLA, Steam and PSN release of Chu Chu Rocket with 4 player online multiplayer.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rattle618

Well the difference between Double Fine and Obsidian is that Obsidian usually has some neat ideas but ultimately fucks up a lot of their projects, so I would not give them a penny until I can see for myself what the finished product is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.