Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Gran Turismo 5 = System Seller?

• 83 results
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By emem
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

I'll assume you're keep this one, but I say no, I don't feel it's as big as it was, partly because it's taken so long to come out.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Bouke

I think GT5 will sell systems but many people already bought a PS3 in the time it took them to release GT5.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By RobotHamster

I think so.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By deanoxd

i think its hard to say, you have to assume that the hardcore PS2 fans moved too PS3 along time ago, so is there still a huge group that has been waiting to move to PS3 just because of GT 5? once again hard too say. will it sell some systems oh for sure it will but huge numbers,  only time will tell.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emem
    @Ineedaname: Yeah, but I don't think I can delete the other thread. Anyway, I feel like the Gran Turismo games are still up there with the best driving/racing games and I don't/can't see GT fail, to be honest.. we will see.

@DeanoXD: I know there are a lot of people looking forward to the game, but I also think that the reviews will decide this time, whether it's going to be "big" or "huge". I'm pretty sure it will either be "alright" or "perfect".. rooting for perfect, though. It's time to show why they were the best.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

i don't think so. maybe, i don't really know. i have a ps3 for other great games and blurrays also.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ArchScabby

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

No Caption Provided
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake

Not exactly. It'll be a motivation for people to buy a PS3 but at this stage the PS3 already has a lot of great exclusives and multi-platform games for it so there's still plenty of reasons to get a PS3 whether or not this game came out.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Bigrhyno

Probably not as much in the U.S., but I could see it selling a decent amount of systems in Europe.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

Just about every game released has probably sold 1 system at one point or another.  But yea, GT5 will sell systems with the best of em, it's not like you'll see 1 million PS3s sold because of it alone.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

It'll absolutely be a system seller.  It's probably the most obvious system seller they have left nowadays after losing exclusivity on GTA and Final Fantasy.  Do not underestimate the global appeal of Gran Turismo, and especially to people that might not even care about other types of games - ie. exactly the audience who won't already own a PS3.

It's fine to say that all of the Forza games have come out since the last Gran Turismo, but it's pretty likely that GT5 will go on to outsell Forza 1, 2 & 3 combined, plus shift a ton of consoles along the way.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Of course anyone that says otherwise, just flatout doesn't know what there talking about.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta

at this point? it might sell some, but not nearly as much as, say, GT3 did (that was the first PS2 one, right?) it's too far gone from the launch.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Laketown said:
    " at this point? it might sell some, but not nearly as much as, say, GT3 did (that was the first PS2 one, right?) it's too far gone from the launch. "
    Every GT game has sold over 10 million units. 

GT5P sold 5 million in 2 years already, and is the PS3's top exclusive to this date.   

GT5 is promised to sell at least 7 million in Europe alone, and just gets crazier from there.
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StrikeALight

Personally, I voted yes, since I just went out and bought a PS3 for this game. I would've waited for the GT5 bundle, but there was quite a good deal on Amazon.co.uk for the vanilla 320gb console, with two extra games.

I'd imagine the GT5 bundles will sell pretty well, here in Europe.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bearshamanbro

Definitely will. I think everyone's become numb to GT5 since we've been waiting for so long  but once it's released it will have a big impact. I think there are a lot of people out there who don't really game much (or at all) who will be interested in this. Add to that the amount of people who don't have Bluray and this could be a tipping point for many people. Also I wouldn't count it's success on first month sales. I'm sure this will have a long burn because a lot of people that get this probably don't even follow video games and might not even now it's out for a while.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By animateria

I dunno... 

I think a lot of us already bought the system with the promises of GT5... 

Except we didn't expect it to take this long for it to finish..

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't know about in the US, but definitely in the UK it is. I had a friend who bought a PS3 for GT5 prologue. Not the main game, the prologue. And another guy I know is buying a PS3 for GT5.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By obcdexter

We'll see. I doubt a whole bunch of people waited so long for GT5 to come out to finally buy the PS3. Most people either have already done so or completely lost interest.
    Sure, for those still saying to themselves: "If there only would be another strong exclusive or two" it might be the final pinch in that direction.
    Again, we'll see.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By monetarydread

I don't know really. I already have a PS3 so it won't sell me on the thing. As far as other people go,  I know that most of my friends will buy a new TV before they buy a second console, and I am the only person in my circle with a PS3.
    That said, I think the game will sell. I'm not much of a car fan, so Forza didn't hold my attention that well (I like GT because it is more of an RPG with driving instead of combat).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

I'd like to think so, but this GT is hardly getting any sort of marketing and the release dates have been shuffled around so many times, some people might not even know what to think anymore.  

I mean as of 5 minutes ago I was looking through the Christmas flyers from Future Shop and Wal Mart and neither of them even had GT5 listed as being a new release, even though it's coming out in 6 days. What the hell is that? The only game shown alongside the PS3 was NBA 2K11. The rest of the page was full of Donkey Kong Country Returns, and the next page was FULL of Xbox stuff. 

Come on Sony, where the hell is your advertising? Do they even know it's the Holidays? I want GT5 to do well.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy said:
    "I mean as of 5 minutes ago I was looking through the Christmas flyers from Future Shop and Wal Mart and neither of them even had GT5 listed as being a new release, even though it's coming out in 6 days. What the hell is that? The only game shown alongside the PS3 was NBA 2K11. The rest of the page was full of Donkey Kong Country Returns, and the next page was FULL of Xbox stuff.  Come on Sony, where the hell is your advertising? Do they even know it's the Holidays? I want GT5 to do well. "
    Just a heads up, on GAF they confirmed these flyers are made almost a month in advance so those stores really couldn't predict GT5's launch.  It's why you saw GT5 in Best Buy flyers a week after Nov. 2, despite the game not being out.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy
    @KaosAngel: They don't have to put a hard date on it. I've seen flyers before that just say "Coming soon!", just so they could at least advertise the game and get it out there. There is nothing of the sort with GT5. And even if it was made a month ago wouldn't they have planned it so that in their minds back then, GT5 was supposed to already have been released in our current time (released nov. 2) and they just advertise it anyway? Even when it was supposed to come out on Nov. 2 there was no advertising for the game back then.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Devil240Z

Myself and two of my friends bought PS3s years ago for GT, a bit preemptive I suppose.  
    I personally had to get one before GTHD went off the market and before the 60gig was gone.

Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Princess_Isabela

As far as PS3 goes - probably the most significant release ever since PS3 launched, so yes - I would say so. 
    Pre-oredered mine with release date delivery from Amazon. 
    I'm curious how will fare against Forza 3 but I'm sure it will be spectacular, six years in the making and it shows.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#28  Edited By EpicSteve

You would think they would have already gotten a system for Prologue.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Obsidian

I've already heard a lot of people talking about buying a PS3 for Gran Turismo 5.  I think it's the biggest system seller this side of Mario.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Raymayne

Simply no. Anyone who really thinks it is the big system seller that it used to be is deluding themselves, it's been way way WAY too long. General population doesn't even know GT still exists for the most part. Kaos and the other fanboys can post sales figures for decade old games as much as they want but it doesn't mean a thing here at the dawn of 2011.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Raymayne: Prologue came out 2008...and it outsold every Forza game.  
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@MattyFTM said:
    " I don't know about in the US, but definitely in the UK it is. I had a friend who bought a PS3 for GT5 prologue. Not the main game, the prologue. And another guy I know is buying a PS3 for GT5. "
    I'm in Canada and it seems that Gran Turismo is a much bigger release in the UK, I'll be buying it though I can't wait to race VROOOOOOM VROOOOM.
    CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CharlieTuna
    @Raymayne said:
    " Simply no. Anyone who really thinks it is the big system seller that it used to be is deluding themselves, it's been way way WAY too long. General population doesn't even know GT still exists for the most part. Kaos and the other fanboys can post sales figures for decade old games as much as they want but it doesn't mean a thing here at the dawn of 2011. "
    I think you're deluding yourself to think that GT holds no appeal. Gran Turismo is bigger than Halo (worldwide), believe it or not.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pweidman

I doubt it'll sell many systems in my neck of the woods, but maybe worldwide, yes.  Here on the west coast US there is NO marketing or advertising about for the game.  Sony has dropped the ball on this, and it mystifies me to no end.  I know the release date has been fluid but they still should have had print and tv ads ongoing.  Maybe after it actually hits shelves, they'll start, but this seems silly to me.  This game will have to rely on word of mouth more.  If it's crazy good, maybe it'll gain some momentum.  Limited cars with damage model bothers me personally, that and Forza 3 is so good, I just can't see a PS3 purchase just for GT5.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emem
    @CharlieTuna said:

" @Raymayne said:

" Simply no. Anyone who really thinks it is the big system seller that it used to be is deluding themselves, it's been way way WAY too long. General population doesn't even know GT still exists for the most part. Kaos and the other fanboys can post sales figures for decade old games as much as they want but it doesn't mean a thing here at the dawn of 2011. "

I think you're deluding yourself to think that GT holds no appeal. Gran Turismo is bigger than Halo (worldwide), believe it or not. "
    Indeed, it doesn't really matter how old the last release is, if it is as good as the other games.. it will sell more units than Halo 3 (11 million), mostly in Europe. At least that's what I think. 

Edit: I'm not sure about how many systems it well sell, though.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jace

I got my PS3 back in 2008. Since then, I've still been mostly a PC gamer, really  never being excited about ps3 releases. I've only played madden and prolouge for the last couple of months.  But prolouge is the only game I've kept playing since I got my ps3. 

I'm kind of starting to realize that I subconsiously bought a ps3 for GT5(6)

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GunnBjorn

It'll boost the sales for sure, but not dramatically. I sure ain't going to buy one for GT5. But then again, racing games aren't up my alley anyway.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By thebeast

I'm not sure if there are people who didn't buy a PlayStation this generation that care enough about Gran Turismo to go out and buy a PS3 just for this - and for those that just like racing sims, almost all platforms have their own excellent titles.

Combined with various other compelling exclusives, however, I think it's probably a tipping point for those of us waiting for enough exclusive content to make buying a PS3 'worth it', myself included - going to see what Amazon UK have in their Black Friday deals!

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Burns098356GX

I think any big name exclusive is a system seller. I just think that a driving sim is to niche to be a big system seller. I intend on buying a PS3 (again) once they bundle the console and game together, and assuming the game is actually any good.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EVO

Within 24 hours of Gran Turismo 5's official release date announcement, this happened:

No Caption Provided
    If that's not proof this game's a system seller, I dunno what is.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#41  Edited By falconer

Now that it's actually coming out, I kinda really want a PS3. Thing is, I don't want to buy a system for just it a handful of other games. Sadness... :/

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wickedsc3

Not at all.  If people are waiting to buy a ps3 just because of GT5 that says something really bad about the PS3.  Im sure it will sell some but it will be insignificant.  PS3 has already had some very good AAA titles that people would have already made a purchase of the system to play.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Raymayne: LOL its like you're crazy.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Devil240Z said:

" @Raymayne: LOL its like you're crazy. "

He's trolling. 

He can't explain how GT5 Prologue outsold every Forza game.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Devil240Z
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Devil240Z said:

He's trolling.  He can't explain how GT5 Prologue outsold every Forza game. "
    I like to think of myself as a troll. He is just a douche.  

No Caption Provided
    Heres this. Been holding onto it for awhile. Anyone have an up to date version?
    Subbeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Subbeh

I was planning to upgrade my PC at christmas, now Im torn between doing that or getting a PS3 with GT5. I was tempted by Uncharted 2 but GT5 is really making me consider the PS3. Not really interested in any of the other franchises but Gran Turismo has had me since the beginning, plus it'd be nice to have a bluray player :p.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Subbeh: You know what to do then guy. 

You want to drive cars during winter.
    DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarkTravesty

no

goudaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By goudaj
    @Devil240Z said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" @Devil240Z said:

He's trolling.  He can't explain how GT5 Prologue outsold every Forza game. "
    I like to think of myself as a troll. He is just a douche.  

No Caption Provided
    Heres this. Been holding onto it for awhile. Anyone have an up to date version? "
      Worldwide
    TitleUnits (K)*
    Gran Turismo10,850
    Gran Turismo 29,370
    Gran Turismo 3 A-spec14,890
    Gran Turismo Concept Series1,560
    Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue”1,400
    Gran Turismo 4 11,120
    Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue”5,090
    Gran Turismo PSP2,090
    Total56,360
     This is as of September 2010. Between December 09 and September 2010, just over 900,000 units of Gran Turismo games have been sold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.