Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeon Siege III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 17, 2011

Dungeon Siege 3 is the third instalment of the Dungeon Siege franchise. It tells the tale of the fallen 10th Legion taking back the Kingdom of Ehb from the popular Azunite champion Jeyne Kassynder.

I was gravely mislead about this game.

• 52 results
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By kingzetta

All I hear about this game from anyone is, you walk down an endless dungeon and sometimes stop to talk to someone. Also it's 5 hours long and there are basically no sidequests. That's not even close the truth, not in my experince at all.  Yesterday I went to the gamestop to buy Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3, because I loved the last two. When I got there cheaper games caught my eye. I bought Dungeon Siege 3, Knights in the NIghtmare, a Trauma Center game and got Yaggra Unoin comes with Kinghts for free. I got 4 games for the price of just DW:gundam alone, pretty good deal. Now back to Dungeon Siege 3, I've played it for 5 hours and have yet to leave the first town. 

It's an off brand Dragon age, find and replace Legionnaire with Grey Warden. In my first five hours I've done about 20 sidequests, found more loot then I can count and witnessed some actually very good and very character specific story. I've gone to dungeons, forests, graveyards, hunted houses, lakes, one town so far. I has great scenery, it's not something like DA2 with one location. I can't wait to start a different character, because a lot of things would be completely different if I was a different guy. 

I have only two actual complains about game. The framing when talking to people is retarded, I should able to see both people talking. It's like when Jeff and Vinny were talking to Lamp in Deadly Premonition. The 2nd thing is There is no voiceover during those concept art looking cutscenes, which is really odd because the rest of the game is fully voiced. This is on it's way to being the Alpha Protocol of this year, but that title will most likely be taken by Deus Ex. Also it's the least buggy Obsidian game I've ever played.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kingzetta

All I hear about this game from anyone is, you walk down an endless dungeon and sometimes stop to talk to someone. Also it's 5 hours long and there are basically no sidequests. That's not even close the truth, not in my experince at all.  Yesterday I went to the gamestop to buy Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3, because I loved the last two. When I got there cheaper games caught my eye. I bought Dungeon Siege 3, Knights in the NIghtmare, a Trauma Center game and got Yaggra Unoin comes with Kinghts for free. I got 4 games for the price of just DW:gundam alone, pretty good deal. Now back to Dungeon Siege 3, I've played it for 5 hours and have yet to leave the first town. 

It's an off brand Dragon age, find and replace Legionnaire with Grey Warden. In my first five hours I've done about 20 sidequests, found more loot then I can count and witnessed some actually very good and very character specific story. I've gone to dungeons, forests, graveyards, hunted houses, lakes, one town so far. I has great scenery, it's not something like DA2 with one location. I can't wait to start a different character, because a lot of things would be completely different if I was a different guy. 

I have only two actual complains about game. The framing when talking to people is retarded, I should able to see both people talking. It's like when Jeff and Vinny were talking to Lamp in Deadly Premonition. The 2nd thing is There is no voiceover during those concept art looking cutscenes, which is really odd because the rest of the game is fully voiced. This is on it's way to being the Alpha Protocol of this year, but that title will most likely be taken by Deus Ex. Also it's the least buggy Obsidian game I've ever played.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TanoPrime

punch the game

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kingzetta
    @TanoPrime: Why would I hurt something I like?
    TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TanoPrime
    @kingzetta said:
    @TanoPrime: Why would I hurt something I like?
    Because it will only hurt you soon.  Do it.  Strike now while you can.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kingzetta
    @TanoPrime: no
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingzetta

I take it no one has played the game?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

It would be cool if new users had more to say than lame memes and nonsense.

On topic--I was actually pretty interested in Dungeon Siege 3 based off the demo, but I was mistakenly under the impression that it was a budget-priced downloadable title at the time.  Now that I know that it's a full-priced retail game, I'll wait until my steam sale acquisitions have been depleted over the course of the summer drought.  Hopefully the price will have dropped by then.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat  Online

There is voice during those motion graphic cutscenes. Must be a glitch.

The reason why it is framed so badly is because they never animate your character talking. Most of the time it glitched badly and my character wasn't facing the right direction (a lot of the time he was off to the side facing the camera, overlapping with other characters). Everything is fixed, they aren't meant to make eye contact. Every character just stares at the point you are supposed to be.

There are a lot of sidequests, I don't know who said there weren't.

You say you've been through woods and graveyards etc but the game boils down to linearly run forward and when a sidequests demands it backtrack through the same place by pressing and holding down. Occasionally there's a fork in the road. just because they change up the scenery doesn't make it more fun.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

The first town is a big part of the game.
    But yes the game is nowhere as short as some people falsely said on these boards.
    However it is still much shorter them either a comparable dungeon crawler or a comparable rpg.

It's not really an offbrand Dragon Age since Dungeon siege is a way way older franchise.
    The scenery is indeed great.

Unfortunately almost nothing changes except s few dialogue situations when you are playing as a different character.

You seem to have a bug regarding the cut scenes as they are in fact fully voiced.

forestd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By forestd

I enjoyed it as well. That might have had something to do with my expectations being set towards a coop dungeon crawler in the vein of Diablo and the Dark Alliance games. Good, simple and mindless fun with a mate.

It has problems maintaining a level of quality throughout though, as the difficulty swings back and forth later on (sometimes stupid easy, other times hard as a mother-effer).

Oh, and the difference between the characters story-wise is fairly minor. Story beats are the same, except when you meet some characters, and the only difference is in (some) of the animated voiceovers.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlasherMan

We all make mistakes.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta
    @Tennmuerti: Well didn't mean the entire story would change but a lot of the dialogue would.
    TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TanoPrime
    @kingzetta said:
    @TanoPrime: no
    Do it and post it on the Tube of You!
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

I just want to say this right now, it's so good to hear something positive here. So sick of negativity in the gaming circle. 

I have been interested in this game and I love Obsidians work so this is a no brainer for me. Just going to wait until after Deus Ex comes out.

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Malphye

Was really looking forward to DS3 but all the bad press made me hold off on dropping 60. Hoping to have the same experience as you and get it for much cheaper but just hearing you talk about it is killing me.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta
    @xyzygy: My motto on games is "If your going to be so negative about game, why bother playing them."
    The often feel like I'm the only person in the world that's actually enthusiastic about games. Apparently I just have bad taste in games, but let me ask you this?  Who is happier and having more fun?
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Delphye said:

Was really looking forward to DS3 but all the bad press made me hold off on dropping 60. Hoping to have the same experience as you and get it for much cheaper but just hearing you talk about it is killing me.

Don't drop 60 on it.
    Wait for a price drop.
    It's a good game but limited in scope. 60 feels too pricy for it for most people.
    Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Malphye

@Tennmuerti: I hear ya, wish amazon would feature it on a daily deal or deal of the week already. I'm not known for patience but damn, 60 is a lot.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingzetta
    @Delphye said:

Yeah I bought it for 40 at gamestop. Once Shadows of the Damned goes to 40, I'm going to get that too.
    Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Malphye

@kingzetta: Dude! Totally waiting on Shadows to drop also. Your freaking me out.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Aronman789

Damn, $40 is cheap for people? Shit, I rarely buy games for $30. 

On topic, I played the game for a couple hours (friend gifted it to me), made it past the haunted house, and while it isn't as bad as people say it is, it did get boring for me after a while. The dialogue is just really dull and takes too long for them to say. Also I went with the mage guy, and he looks kinda old and chunky, but they give him a young 20 year-old's voice, kinda weirds me out a bit.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pweidman

Played and beat DS3 on 360, and the sp campaign is quite solid. 12+ hrs easily if you go after all side quests. Fun gameplay and good story. Replayability is minimal imo.

The online co-op has serious issues though, and some incredibly stupid design choices that take away from what the game could have been, in it's cooperative form at least.

$40 or less sounds about right, so I recommend waiting for the price drop that shouldn't take long.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kingzetta
    @Aronman789 said:
    Damn, $40 is cheap for people? Shit, I rarely buy games for $30.  On topic, I played the game for a couple hours (friend gifted it to me) , made past the haunted house, and while it isn't as bad as people say it is, it did get boring for me after a while. Also I went with the mage guy, and he looks kinda old and chunky, but they give him a young 20 year-old's voice, kinda weirds me out a bit.
    I normally buy games I want for $60 on day one.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aronman789
    @kingzetta said:
    @Aronman789 said:
    Damn, $40 is cheap for people? Shit, I rarely buy games for $30.  On topic, I played the game for a couple hours (friend gifted it to me) , made past the haunted house, and while it isn't as bad as people say it is, it did get boring for me after a while. Also I went with the mage guy, and he looks kinda old and chunky, but they give him a young 20 year-old's voice, kinda weirds me out a bit.
    The only two games I would consider buying for full price this year are Rage and Skyrim. I always just wait for a price drop, especially for games I only have a passing interest in.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kingzetta
    @Aronman789 said:
    @kingzetta said:
    @Aronman789 said:
    The only two games I would consider buying for full price this year are Rage and Skyrim. I always just wait for a price drop, especially for games I only have a passing interest in.
    Well I have much more than a passing interest in tons of games per year.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Luke

I really liked Dungeon Siege III!  I even went ahead and played through it multiple times and got all 1,000 GamerScore on 360.  About 8 or so of my friends were constantly playing it on Live and I had some really fun 4 player co-op sessions, for hours on end.  

It's not the best game in the world, but it's worth a good 30 hours or so of good times.  My only real complaint is with the camera in co-op.  Everything else is just minor issues, which to me, some people are making them seem more major than they really are... but everyone is entitled to their opinion.    

@kingzetta
    :  If you need any help, and got the game on 360, I'd be more than happy to pop the game in again to help you out.  Makai Kingdom was an awesome game! :p  

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Questionable

The singleplayer is OK, assuming you use a gamepad (ps3 controller for me) the mouse+keyboard controls are horrendous  
    And the multiplayer is stupifyingly bad, its as if the devs were forced to put in a online mode and did everything they could to sabotage the experience.
     Meanwhile the single player is way too short, why the hell would anyone make a lootfest game without a endgame or NG+ ?

The presentation is sweet, i like its graphics and the voice overs are alright but for a 60 bucks game i cant recommend this game to anyone there is just too little content and bad design choises here.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Grissefar

@kingzetta said:

All I hear about this game from anyone is, you walk down an endless dungeon and sometimes stop to talk to someone. Also it's 5 hours long and there are basically no sidequests. That's not even close the truth, not in my experince at all. Yesterday I went to the gamestop to buy Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3, because I loved the last two. When I got there cheaper games caught my eye. I bought Dungeon Siege 3, Knights in the NIghtmare, a Trauma Center game and got Yaggra Unoin comes with Kinghts for free. I got 4 games for the price of just DW:gundam alone, pretty good deal. Now back to Dungeon Siege 3, I've played it for 5 hours and have yet to leave the first town. It's an off brand Dragon age, find and replace Legionnaire with Grey Warden. In my first five hours I've done about 20 sidequests, found more loot then I can count and witnessed some actually very good and very character specific story. I've gone to dungeons, forests, graveyards, hunted houses, lakes, one town so far. I has great scenery, it's not something like DA2 with one location. I can't wait to start a different character, because a lot of things would be completely different if I was a different guy. I have only two actual complains about game. The framing when talking to people is retarded, I should able to see both people talking. It's like when Jeff and Vinny were talking to Lamp in Deadly Premonition. The 2nd thing is There is no voiceover during those concept art looking cutscenes, which is really odd because the rest of the game is fully voiced. This is on it's way to being the Alpha Protocol of this year, but that title will most likely be taken by Deus Ex. Also it's the least buggy Obsidhttp://www.giantbomb.com/dungeon-siege-iii/61-20718/i-was-gravely-mislead-about-this-game/35-505882/#27ian game I've ever played.

Wow, you love both Dynasty Warriors and DS3. Consider yourself lucky because there's a lot of games out there for you. I'm not one to judge games by their review scores, but maybe you should start herewhen looking for games next.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingzetta
    @Grissefar:  I don't care if have bad taste in games, but let me ask you this.  Who is happier and having more fun?  I'm playing games and having fun, your being a prick about games. Who's having more enjoyment here, huh?
    theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By theoldhouse

Have to say the demo felt a bit stiff and not that great. 

I want to like it and it doesn't seem awful but I'm definitely waiting for it to drop to 20 

Same for shadow , fear 3 and alice 

already picked up hunted and red faction for 20 

I think infamous was the only game I have payed above 20 so far this month.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By theoldhouse
    @kingzetta: Him 

He likes being a prick!
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Loose
    @kingzetta said:
    @Grissefar:  I don't care if have bad taste in games, but let me ask you this.  Who is happier and having more fun?  I'm playing games and having fun, your being a prick about games. Who's having more enjoyment here, huh?
    Some people would rather be the Good Brahmin.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Akrid

I really enjoyed it. The combat was fun and more interesting then your average hack'n'slash, and I liked how the loot was balanced. Length/linearity was just right for me. I just wish the co-op wasn't so damn broken.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Binman88

Considering buying this more after reading your thoughts. I had pretty much dismissed it, but I'll keep a look out for it on sale and will likely pick it up and give it a try.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kingzetta
    @Loose said:
    @kingzetta said:
    jackasses?
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blueduck
    @kingzetta said:
    A professor and a mentally retarded person both have a deflated ball. The professor complains and petitions to get a new, bouncer ball while the mentally retarded person raves about his awesome deflated ball. Who is having more fun?
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kingzetta
    @blueduck said:
    @kingzetta said:
    A professor and a mentally retarded person both have a deflated ball. The professor complains and petitions to get a new, bouncer ball while the mentally retarded person raves about his awesome deflated ball. Who is having more fun?
    and the forum poster calls someone a retard for not sharing his opinion. Who is the asshole here?
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By amomjc

@kingzetta said:

@xyzygy: My motto on games is "If your going to be so negative about game, why bother playing them." The often feel like I'm the only person in the world that's actually enthusiastic about games. Apparently I just have bad taste in games, but let me ask you this? Who is happier and having more fun?

You and me both. I am so tired of watching reviews and such of video games nowadays. It literally feels like people go out of their way to at least have something wrong with a game. An example would be a game that throughout the video they praise it, but at the end they HAVE to say something negative just to balance out the praise.

It nags at me every time, and Giant Bomb does it too.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

It's way too expensive given the limitations. If it was $20 new, then some of the issues and limited scope (pre-gens are fucking terrible) could be forgiven, but the multiplayer issues are just too much. When this goes down to ~15 used it will be a reasonable deal, but these games are the most fun co-op, and guess what Obsidian screwed up? 

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blueduck
    @kingzetta said:

@blueduck said:

@kingzetta said:
    and the forum poster calls someone a retard for not sharing his opinion. Who is the asshole here?
    I actually don't care what you think about the game but your shitty argument (which you used twice in this thread already) is the lamest straw man I've ever read. I'm happy you like games though =)
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Grissefar

@kingzetta said:

@Grissefar: I don't care if have bad taste in games, but let me ask you this. Who is happier and having more fun? I'm playing games and having fun, your being a prick about games. Who's having more enjoyment here, huh?

All I said was that you are lucky because you don't judge games very harshly, and you quickly draw conclusions and lash back. Take it easy, bro.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kingzetta
    @blueduck said:
    @kingzetta said:

@blueduck said:

@kingzetta said:
    I actually don't care what you think about the game but your shitty argument (which you used twice in this thread already) is the lamest straw man I've ever read. I'm happy you like games though =)
    Well then let us to agree to disagree.
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Loose
    @kingzetta said:

@Loose said:

@kingzetta said:

jackasses?
    It's a short-story by Voltaire, I'm simplifying, but it's essentially about "knowledge vs. ignorance". Although you might already know of it and that was a smart-ass response; I have no way of knowing really.

I made a similar post in another thread but I'll go ahead and repeat roughly what I've previously said here. 

You do have a point, some of the games that you've mentioned are generally considered mediocre but your ability to enjoy these games means that you generally derive more enjoyment from the medium than the guy with more "discriminating" tastes. That being said, those with more discriminating tastes probably wouldn't give them up for the world. Yes, you do get let down sometimes, but solace can be taken in the fact that when one does enjoy a game he's experiencing the best available in the medium. The Good Brahmin may know that he'd be more happy if he was ignorant, but he would still never want to be ignorant.

There's this other thing that I like to talk about a lot which is the progression and evolution of the medium. In order for video games to evolve it's necessary that there are individuals with discriminating tastes. If mediocrity becomes acceptable, even the norm, then there is nothing that necessitates a developer to pursue excellence. Yes, there is still the personal desire to be great, but there are other elements that drive creative excellence which are thrown out the window when everyone is okay with mediocrity.
    theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By theoldhouse

The smarter you are the more chance you have for unhappiness . 

But in Fact Loose is correct when speaking about the betterment of the video game format. Games will not improve with we accept mediocrity.  But those of us aching for something complex and revolutionary are doomed to be less happy than those who think shooting dudes is as good as it gets. 

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cameron

I think a lot of the hate for this game was coming from people who really liked the first two games in the series. Those people were expecting a certain kind of game and from the sound of it, this isn't it. For a console loot-grind I'm sure it's fine, I mean, what competition does it have aside from bad ports of Torchlight and Sacred 2? But compared to what is available for the PC in the same genre, this game is mediocre at best.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SSully

@kingzetta: Sounds to me like you are trying to justify your purchase. I was fine with your initial post, but why are you pulling that motto stuff out of your ass? Plenty of us are enthusiastic about games, it is the main reason we all come to this site. Just because people do not think this game is good doesn't mean they are some cynical bastards or something.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ghostiet
    @kingzetta said:
      Also it's the least buggy Obsidian game I've ever played.  
    THIS I HAVE TO WITNESS
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kingzetta
    @SSully said:

@kingzetta: Sounds to me like you are trying to justify your purchase. I was fine with your initial post, but why are you pulling that motto stuff out of your ass? Plenty of us are enthusiastic about games, it is the main reason we all come to this site. Just because people do not think this game is good doesn't mean they are some cynical bastards or something.

The only enthusiasm I've seen a quite a while is enthusiasm for complaining. The reason I pulled that motto out of my ass as you said, is because someone posted "It's nice to see someone positive for a change." Hey if you don't like my way of thinking shove it up your ass, I don't care. What I do care about is people calling me retarded for enjoying something. It's not just me jusifying my purchase, because frankly money means nothing to me, I have a lot of it. I went and bought DW: gundam the very next day, but I have yet to play it.
    ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ericdrum

I really am liking my experience so far. I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller. I'm trying to really savor the game and not rush and I'm doing every side quest that I can. I never played DS1 or 2 so I really have no context for this game in the series. I would love this game better if co-op would have been implemented differently and if we had some real customization options for how our characters looked. If you like dungeon crawlers, you should like this game. Oh and the length arguments are insane. If you beat this game in 6 hours, then you didn't do many side quests, if any, and you didn't read anything and just blazed through it. If you did, this genre is not for you.

@kingzetta I'm glad to you hear that you liked this game. It's worthy of any praise thrown it's way.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DrMcKittrick

I want to believe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.