Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeon Siege III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 17, 2011

Dungeon Siege 3 is the third instalment of the Dungeon Siege franchise. It tells the tale of the fallen 10th Legion taking back the Kingdom of Ehb from the popular Azunite champion Jeyne Kassynder.

Am I the only person that likes Dungeon Siege 3?

• 58 results
    FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By FireSketch

I'm about ten hours in, playing on PC with a gamepad. 
    It looks great, I really like the combat and the quest lines seem varied enough. 

Why all the hate? 

Maybe it's 'cause I didn't play DS1 or 2 so came into the series fresh?

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Not sure why many other users are hating, but I enjoyed the game. I thought Obsidian did a better job with the writing, presentation, and action mechanics compared to the originals, and DSIII compares favourably with other loot-fests of its type. It's not terribly deep but at least it wasn't a mindless and overlong potion-fest. I also liked how the choices made in-game are tied together for the ending (also played on PC with a gamepad, seems to be the best way to play the game).

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By amomjc

I played the demo and I wasn't impressed by it, but I still don't see the reason its gathering the hate that it is. It is easier to point out flaws of a game, because the majority of your audience will tailor to that side as well. Always harder to be positive because most of the time you'll just get flamed for having a personality opposite of negative.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Oldirtybearon

For the uninitiated, what kind of game is Dungeon Siege 3? I've heard surprisingly little about it.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By dragonzord

I just think it's too linear. It'll probably be okay for cheap, but by that point Torchlight 2 will be out and no one will care

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DonPixel

Presentation and production values aren't bad - In my case I just got bored with the combat, It felt slow and clunky.. Also Keyb/Mouse controls could be better.

I had it pre-order and cancel it once I played the demo. I don't hate it, I just don't like it - Long story short I just picked Alice over this.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By groin

Yes, you're the only one.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Lukeweizer said:

I can't fucking stand these self-centered "Am I the only person..." threads. No, you're not the only person in the fucking world. Get over yourself.

Maybe you might wanna take that stick out of your ass. People often do feel like they're the only ones who like/see certain things. It's an emotional response, not a logical one. 

Fucking twat.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696

I didn't hate Dungeon Siege II at all. So I may end up liking the third part a lot.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ericdrum

@Lukeweizer: You are a dick. Don't post in the thread or read it then, loser.

How do some of you have your copies already?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

@Lukeweizer said:

I can't fucking stand these self-centered "Am I the only person..." threads. No, you're not the only person in the fucking world. Get over yourself.

This times a fucking million. Jesus fucking Christ.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

Just finished it.
    It was a decent experience, with a few flaws.
    The PC controls are simply terrible with no way to change them (the fact they did not include the ability to rebind keys, pissed a lot of people off) so if you are going to play it on PC use a gamepad.
    The game definitely did not impress at the start, but it got better as the story progressed and you pumped your character.
    For a dungeon crawl/rpg it's a bit on the short side for a full priced game imo.
    Multilayer is simply terrible.
    The abilities are interesting and there is plenty of gear, also the RPG elements were welcome and Obsidian storytelling is still present as much as it can be.

@KingWilly said:

For the uninitiated, what kind of game is Dungeon Siege 3? I've heard surprisingly little about it.
    It's sort of a hybrid between a dungeon crawler and an RPG.
    Quite simmilar to Silverfall, but for 2011 and better polished, balanced and better story. (i'm not singing praises, Silverfall was kinda bad)

@ajamafalous said:

@Lukeweizer said:

Relax fellas it's just a figure of speech.
    ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ghost_cat
    @ajamafalous said:

@Lukeweizer said:

Bitch much? Anyways, I'm all up for mindless loot-fest RPGs, but I'll wait until it becomes cheaper.
    H4xlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By H4xlike
    @KingWilly said:
    For good reason, at least based on the previous 2.  It's an action RPG.  Idk if he was the lead on this one, but Chris Taylor created the series.  Along with Demigod and Space Siege.   Not the most impressive resume this decade for him. 
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Lukeweizer said:

It's an expression to insinuate conversation about a topic they think they're a minority in.  

Stop being a dick, you dick.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @KingWilly said:
    @Lukeweizer said:

Maybe you might wanna take that stick out of your ass. People often do feel like they're the only ones who like/see certain things. It's an emotional response, not a logical one.  Fucking twat.
    Its totally of topic, but this.
    redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By redbliss

I didnt play the full game, but I did play the demo and based on that I like the game. I dont know if I will get a chance to buy the game this summer, but it seemed like a cool game. I would like to pick it up some time in the future.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By redbliss
    @Lukeweizer said:

Yeah, for some reason there have been a lot of them lately.
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shinigami420

Yes i think its a clunky pice of shit like most obsidian games

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By crusader8463

How do all you people have the game? It's not out for another 3 days.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @crusader8463 said:
    How do all you people have the game? It's not out for another 3 days.
    It came out 17th in most territories.
    21st is the US release.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By crusader8463
    @Tennmuerti: I see.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Enigma777

I only played the demo for about 10 minutes (5 of which was spent on the Start screen) but from what I saw it was poop. Just poop.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @rebgav said:

@Enigma777 said:

I only played the demo for about 10 minutes (5 of which was spent on the Start screen) but from what I saw it was poop. Just poop.

Well, as long as it's an informed opinion.

I played the whole demo, it seemed pretty bad.

I played the whole game.
    It seemed ok. 
    :)
    StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StingingVelvet

I think most people who like these Diablo kind of games are on the PC and the PC version plays like crap without a gamepad. I'm fine with that, I just plug my gamepad in and play, but a lot of PC gamers are really uppity about using a gamepad.

As for consoles, I assume it's just suffering from a lack of hype, lack of knowledge about the series, lack of interest in these kinds of games and maybe even a little dislike of Obsidian since their console versions are always broken.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo
    @Lukeweizer said:

This indeed. "Am I the only one although I'm obviously not and know that very well myself!?" *attention whoring*
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pinworm45

Yes. You're the only person on the entire planet.

snr0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By snr0n
    @DonPixel said:

Presentation and production values aren't bad - In my case I just got bored with the combat, It felt slow and clunky.. Also Keyb/Mouse controls could be better.

I had it pre-order and cancel it once I played the demo. I don't hate it, I just don't like it - Long story short I just picked Alice over this.

Wow, you're probably going to regret that. Whereas Dungeon Siege is just unremarkable (and incredibly bug-free, especially for Obsidian), Alice is a constant exercise in frustration at wasted potential. It's certainly more visually interesting than Dungeon Siege... as long as you don't get too close, that is. So many turn-of-the-century textures (and the ones that aren't suffer from ridiculous pop-in), and the gameplay's just as stale. I hear it looks a little better if you've got a PhysX card, but it honestly still wouldn't be worth it to me. Really, neither of them is particularly worth your money, but in the end I found Dungeon Siege way more enjoyable - if ultimately forgettable. I was pretty pissed about the ham-handed attempt at multiplayer, I guess, but otherwise it's an inoffensive little loot-whorer.
    JusticeCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JusticeCat

I was a huge fan of number 1, played the crap out of that with mates on LAN over and over and custom campaigns and junk, loved it.

I never could get in to to, the changes alienated me and being a youngin i just got over and it played a different game.

Saw 3 was announced, preordered that in nostalgic excitement, saw gameplay trailers and got disappointed and told myself i would cancel my preorder.

Never got around to doing that, game came out, played it and really enjoyed it and i think I've clocked about 6 hours of gameplay today. Really enjoying it. Playing it on PC with a 360 controller and its fun as. I know I'm not going to get the same fun out of it as I did the first game, I hear MP is crap and i cant imagine it having its own campaign or custom content or anything, but I am enjoying the single player campaign. I dont know how long it is meant to be but it feels like I'm now approaching a finale and this makes me sad, kinda.

I also liked the first half of DNF but then hated the rest when I told myself Id finish it before picking up Alice :P What a chore those last 3 hours were :[

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By dagas

Is it the typical hack and slash game with a very simple story or has Obsidian managed to make the story interesting? Story is usually their strong side which is why I liked Alpha Protocol despite the game play flaws.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @dagas said:

Is it the typical hack and slash game with a very simple story or has Obsidian managed to make the story interesting? Story is usually their strong side which is why I liked Alpha Protocol despite the game play flaws.

They managed to make it fairly interesting.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vodun

@StingingVelvet said:

I think most people who like these Diablo kind of games are on the PC and the PC version plays like crap without a gamepad. I'm fine with that, I just plug my gamepad in and play, but a lot of PC gamers DON'T ACTUALLY OWN A GAMEPAD.

As for consoles, I assume it's just suffering from a lack of hype, lack of knowledge about the series, lack of interest in these kinds of games and maybe even a little dislike of Obsidian since their console versions are always broken.

There, I fixed it for you.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Questionable

The singleplayer is OK, assuming you use a gamepad (ps3 controller for me) the mouse+keyboard controls are horrendous  
    And the multiplayer is stupifyingly bad, its as if the devs were forced to put in a online mode and did everything they could to sabotage the experience.

I just have 2 small questions being 6 hours:
    How can i change my sidekick? (basicly i want to set its talent points before ever going online as you can only set it once.)
    Is there any new game+ or endgame content?

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StingingVelvet

@Vodun said:

@StingingVelvet said:

I think most people who like these Diablo kind of games are on the PC and the PC version plays like crap without a gamepad. I'm fine with that, I just plug my gamepad in and play, but a lot of PC gamers DON'T ACTUALLY OWN A GAMEPAD.

Gamepads have been a part of PC gaming since it started, before even mice came around. They're much better than KBM for many genres. Why not have one? Do you only play shooters and CRPGs?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Christoffer

I tried the demo on PC and never got a feel for the controll. Used keyboard+mouse so I probably should try it again with a gamepad. I'm also extremely sensitive to bad voice acting, it can destroy even the best games in seconds. And DS3 sure did have some spotty voice works. Other than that it seems fine, pretty good even. If I didn't have a ton of other games to play I would buy it for sure.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zaglis

@Lukeweizer said:

''WHY ALL THE HATE?!?!?!?''
    rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rosebud04

NO YOU ARE NOT!!!!

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vodun

@StingingVelvet said:

@Vodun said:

@StingingVelvet said:

Gamepads have been a part of PC gaming since it started, before even mice came around. They're much better than KBM for many genres. Why not have one? Do you only play shooters and CRPGs?

Them being better or not is a matter of preference, but the main reason is that they do not come with your PC when you buy it, and they're not the main form of input. Hence most PC owners will not have one.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StingingVelvet

@Vodun said:

Them being better or not is a matter of preference, but the main reason is that they do not come with your PC when you buy it, and they're not the main form of input. Hence most PC owners will not have one.

Lots of stuff doesn't come with a PC when you buy it. Games themselves, a good mouse and keyboard, a good mouse pad, etc. etc. Not to mention this assumes someone is dumb enough to buy one of those outrageously overpriced pre-built gaming PCs. If you build or upgrade your own then a PC comes with absolutely nothing really, you build it in an effort to make it play games and a controller should be a part of that.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Questionable said:
    The singleplayer is OK, assuming you use a gamepad (ps3 controller for me) the mouse+keyboard controls are horrendous   And the multiplayer is stupifyingly bad, its as if the devs were forced to put in a online mode and did everything they could to sabotage the experience.  I just have 2 small questions being 6 hours: How can i change my sidekick? (basicly i want to set its talent points before ever going online as you can only set it once.) Is there any new game+ or endgame content?
    In the menu the very bottom option is party selection, as long as you have already met the appropriate party members.
    The is no newgame+ or endgame content
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vodun

@StingingVelvet said:

@Vodun said:

Lots of stuff doesn't come with a PC when you buy it. Games themselves, a good mouse and keyboard, a good mouse pad, etc. etc. Not to mention this assumes someone is dumb enough to buy one of those outrageously overpriced pre-built gaming PCs. If you build or upgrade your own then a PC comes with absolutely nothing really, you build it in an effort to make it play games and a controller should be a part of that.

Why? Why "should" it be part of that? Like I said, the main form of input is the mouse and keyboard. Granted certain games might play better with a game-pad but those are the only instances where you would use this input method. In the same vein it is MUCH easier to type with a keyboard, so why doesn't everyone get one for their console and use that for chat/search/browsing/etc? Because, it is not the primary form of input for that platform.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Oh Jesus Christ, people who defend the lack of decent mouse and keyboard controls...
    there's nothing more to it than the Devs not having / taking the time to make them decent. And that frigging sucks. And if you really think a gamepad is a necessary requirement for every PC owner that plays games then that's just ridiculous. 
    Stop defending bad developers / publishers.

Avatar image for jamesoutrageous
    JamesOutrageous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JamesOutrageous
    @zoner said:

I just think it's too linear. It'll probably be okay for cheap, but by that point Torchlight 2 will be out and no one will care

Yeahh it's the linear thing for me, played a few hours and just felt like I was working through it, not really 'playing' anything as such, and I'm totally not inspired to carry on.
    StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By StingingVelvet

@Vodun said:

Why? Why "should" it be part of that?

Because a gaming PC is built to play games and a controller is an important part of playing those games? I don't see the confusion. Shooters, strategy and many other genres control best with a mouse. Platformers, racers, hack n' slash games and many other genres control best with a controller. The PC is great because you can choose to use the best input device for the game you are playing. Right now I am replaying the original Half-Life and also playing through Alice: Madness Returns. I would never think to use a controller for Half-Life just like I would never think to use a mouse and keyboard for Alice. I use the best input device for the game and the PC allows me to do that, unlike consoles.

Now I grant what you are really saying here, that because a controller is not considered standard issue many PC gamers don't have one. I'm not saying you're wrong. What I am saying is THAT is wrong, and we need to change that perception rather than expect every game to play perfectly with a mouse or GTFO. I for one want games like Alice and Darksiders and Super Meat Boy to be continues to get their lovely PC versions even if they almost require a controller.

Also this conversation has little to do with Dungeon Siege 3, which SHOULD control perfectly with a mouse like many other games in the same genre always have. I never said otherwise. What I am saying is that since I have a controller I will plug it in and use it for DS3 since it plays better that way, right or wrong. I'm using the best input device for the game in question because the PC allows me to do that and for this game it is a controller. If every PC gamer had a controller like they should they could do the same.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Questionable
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @Questionable said:
    2 small questions being 6 hours in: How can i change my sidekick? (basicly i want to set its talent points before ever going online as you can only set it once.) Is there any new game+ or endgame content?
    In the menu the very bottom option is party selection, as long as you have already met the appropriate party members.The is no newgame+ or endgame content
    Thanks, it took a suprisingly long time for the 3th and 4th heroes to join my part so i thought i was doing something wrong or could perhaps only switch characters at specific locations :) 

Isent new game+ and/or  endgame the entire idea behind lootfests?  I find it hard to believe the previous dingeon siege games did not have this either?
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I enjoyed the demo a lot. Certain parts seemed a little unpolished, but not horrible. I'll probably buy the game when it's discounted a little. The short length is a bit worrying though.

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Taklulas
    @Lukeweizer said:

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#48  Edited By Superharman

Played a solid hour and I'm enjoying it well enough. It isn't the flashiest game, but what it does it does well enough.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Questionable said:
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @Questionable said:
    2 small questions being 6 hours in: How can i change my sidekick? (basicly i want to set its talent points before ever going online as you can only set it once.) Is there any new game+ or endgame content?
    In the menu the very bottom option is party selection, as long as you have already met the appropriate party members.The is no newgame+ or endgame content
    Thanks, it took a suprisingly long time for the 3th and 4th heroes to join my part so i thought i was doing something wrong or could perhaps only switch characters at specific locations :)  Isent new game+ and/or  endgame the entire idea behind lootfests?  I find it hard to believe the previous dingeon siege games did not have this either?
    DS3 is more of a hybrid between a loot fest like Diablo and an actual RPG.
    DS1 and DS2 were long ass games and you had to manage a fairly large party, so newgame+ was not really necessary.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50  Edited By sins_of_mosin

It was a little rough at the start but once I got my AI partner, I'm having a blast.  Its not a hardcore rpg but it sure is hella fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.