Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry 4

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 31, 2008

The fourth game in the popular Capcom action franchise, Devil May Cry. Take on the role of new playable character Nero, as he uses his swanky demon arm to beat the hell out of a demon invasion in the castle town of Fortuna.

DMC4 Special Edition (PS4/XB1) announced; Vergil returns!

• 58 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@wakkaflakkachimmichonga: Actually it was Onimusha 3 in 2004 that first done away with the tank controls, or rather allowed you the choice to play with either tank controls or analogue.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
    wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@yummylee said:

@wakkaflakkachimmichonga: Actually it was Onimusha 3 in 2004 that first done away with the tank controls, or rather allowed you the choice to play with either tank controls or analogue.

yes you're correct. what i meant in my previous comment when referring to dates was the action and intricate combos that were introduced in dawn of dreams. i should have made that more clear, sorry about that.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

So weird, so random.

I beat this game 6 times and loved every minute of it. Initially the reason I wanted a PS3, til it was announced to be multiplatform. Probably gonna have to pass, however.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yummylee said:

@wakkaflakkachimmichonga said:
    @yummylee said:

@corevi said:

@believer258: I would like to consider myself a pretty big fan of Devil May Cry and I prefer the first one to 3. It was incredibly original and created the Character Action genre while 3 was just a polishing of that original game and it didn't do anything particularly inventive.

3 is still a fantastic game though.

I've always wondered about that, though. I mean, Onimusha came out months before DMC, and while DMC is certainly a faster game, they both share a lot of very similar gameplay elements, including many of the holdovers from Resident Evil. Like DMC, Onimusha is a hack-n-slash action game with multiple weapons and 'orbs' you use to upgrade them. What is it exactly that DMC done so differently that's allowed it to run away with the title of being the inventor of the character action genre?

not having tank controls and a deep battle system that only got better with each game (besides 2 and DmC)

I guess the tank controls are one thing, but to say Onimusha doesn't have any depth is pretty harsh. It's much slower and focuses a lot more on precise timing to evoke samurai duels, but it obviously still requires skill to play efficiently. Also, Onimusha progressively got more complex, too. I would totally classify Dawn of Dreams for example as something akin to a character action game with the amount of combos there are and special abilities.

being a fan of the onimusha series, the "precise timing" was only if you were trying to get issin kills as they required perfect timing. just killing them was hitting the attack button and then the block button (backstep for enemies with huge weapons that couldn't be blocked). also while dawn of dreams was very action oriented and got rid of the tank controls, it came out in 2006 while DMC3 came out in 2005 and had refined it's gameplay and added many new features meant to chain together combos.

If we're excluding DMC 2 and DMC 5 then technically out of 5 games it only got better twice? Although some might even argue that the combat in DMC 4 was a step back to DMC 3 because of the way Dante switches styles which would mean that game only ever got better once in it's entire lifespan. Since the thread is already shifting into the "which is better" direction I'll quickly throw out the argument that many people seem to mistakenly confuse streamlining the combat with dumbing it down. DMC 3 was a very technical game but it was also fairly young in the genre and suffered from many of the control woes from those earlier days. To say that DmC is a step back has always been a strange sentiment to me because I always saw it as a huge leap forward in minimizing the clutter that always permeated the control schemes of the series. You could still cancel in multiple ways but everything else played a lot smoother, it was a wonderful refinement and a way for Devil May Cry to enter the modern era of character action games.

Not that there is much to choose from really. As much as I would like to say that Bayonetta started a new renaissance for character action, it was actually a bright spark that just as quickly burned out. Apart from DMC and Bayonetta what is there in the modern game market? Metal Gear Revengeance and Anarchy Reigns I suppose both of which are somewhat atypical to the genre. With such a lack in games period it's really a shame that when DmC came out it was met with such resistance because there are so few titles trying to evolve the genre and push some things forward. I'm really curious how this Scalebound game will turn out, although I've learned that not everything that Platinum touches turns instantly gold. It's also exclusive to a console I don't own so it will be really bitter sweet if it turns out to be amazing as just like with Bayonetta 2 I won't be able to enjoy it.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm getting the feeling that I already played every current gen game for the next 4 years 3 years ago... only at a higher resolution and framerate.

m3ds334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@meatball:

Yeah I hear ya. We're kind of in this unfortunate dilemma where the audience has been split in half, and with the way Capcom's been doing I don't think making two games is remotely possible.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
    wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

claiming the audience has been split in half is a huge exaggeration.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Vergil<3

I will buy this game again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.