Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry 4

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 31, 2008

The fourth game in the popular Capcom action franchise, Devil May Cry. Take on the role of new playable character Nero, as he uses his swanky demon arm to beat the hell out of a demon invasion in the castle town of Fortuna.

DMC4 Special Edition (PS4/XB1) announced; Vergil returns!

• 58 results
    TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TrafalgarLaw
    No Caption Provided

Alongside the DmC remaster, Capcom has announced DMC4:SE with a picture teasing Vergil.

While DMC4 did have a lot of backtracking, it was a fun game. Now that Vergil, arguably the bettter DMC character is included, I'll replay this with the added throphy support.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

OH SHI-INSTANTBUYTAKEMYMONEYYOUMAGNIFICENTBASTARDS. I knew there must have been a reason why they specifically called it ''Special Edition''; an obvious throwback to DMC3: SE's inclusion of Vergil!

Also, wrong board.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If it's a sizeable thing I really want it to come to PC.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@hassun said:

If it's a sizeable thing I really want it to come to PC.

DMC 4 is on PC.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: It's a new title so I think it's going to be filed in the new page that isn't created yet.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: It should have still been posted in the DMC4 board for the time being.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Done. Now rejoice!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

So just play the first half of the game and then ignore that the second half existed? Done and done. I'm sure Nero is still more overpowered than Vergil too.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp I was intrested to get it again but with Virgil in day fucking 1, after getting all platinums in the HD collection I was ready to replay DMC4 after some years but with this im so 100% this game again.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@fredchuckdave: Now you get to backtrack with Vergil!!! C'mon man...don't be so jaded...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hassun

@ll_exile_ll: Sorry, I should have said if the re-release/remaster is sizeable.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Maybe now we'll find out what happened to Vergil between DMC1 and DMC4. Speculation has always been hyped that Vergil is Nero's demon arm. Hopefully there'll be a Nelo Angelo playable character version too like in DMC3 Special Edition.

I couldn't be more excited, well unless DMC5 was announced of course.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By altairre

AWWWWWW YISSSSSS! The DmC definitive edition is fine and all but the DMC4 special edition is what I'm really excited about. I wonder how much they'll change, if it's just Vergil as a new character or if it's an overhaul similar to DmC. Oh well, I'll get it anyway.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'll play DMC4 again.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
    wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'M GETTIN' MOTIVATED

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@trafalgarlaw: It should have still been posted in the DMC4 board for the time being.

I'm looking through all the other recent remasters to current gen like GTAV and The Last of Us and none of those have new wiki pages, they just have a section in the original wiki page

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@yummylee said:

I'm looking through all the other recent remasters to current gen like GTAV and The Last of Us and none of those have new wiki pages, they just have a section in the original wiki page

Unfortunately what seems to count for a re-release of a game getting its own page is extremely murky. I totally think this should get its own page, though, as it includes a whole new character. I would think GTA V deserves one too because of all the new content like the FP view. The Last of Us less so since it's just a higher fps/resolution version with little difference otherwise.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah... I'll buy it

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Know what? This might make me want to finish DMC 4. Now I just need a console to play it on...

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Now this is exciting, maybe I'll actually start playing my DMC HD collection now.

I don't know if I'm being sarcastic or not.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hopefully this means there's a new DMC in production (hopefully done internally by Capcom) or at the very least if these sell well it might justify investing in another game for Capcom, but who knows what the state of that company is anymore. (still making remakes though, some things never change)

I'm excited to play these games again with new additions but neither of these games blew me away like DMC 3 did. One of the things I love most about character action games are great boss fights but neither DmC nor 4 really delivered in that aspect.

Not to shit on this news, it's cool and i'm also looking forward to Hellblade but I guess i'm not a big enough Vergil fan to look past the flaws in those games.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

I'm excited to play these games again with new additions but neither of these games blew me away like DMC 3 did. One of the things I love most about character action games are great boss fights but neither DmC nor 4 really delivered in that aspect.

man wot

I bloody love many of DMC4's boss fights; Credo and Dante in particular were brilliant! Always wish you could have fought Nero while playing as Dante, though. Even in the Bloody Palace when playing as Dante you would just face another Dante.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@yummylee: I liked those two boss fights but most of the bosses in DMC4 were big arse demons that werent fun to fight and felt as though they only exsisted to show off cool devil arm animations. And DmC's bosses looked unique and had some nice cinematic transitions but suffered from God of War's syndrome of 'dodge the hand, attack the hand'

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I love this game. Might have to pick it up.

wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

playing the bloody palace as verg. sounds so good.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@mortuss_zero: It's great, DMC3 still blows DmC and DMC4 out of the water.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Know what? This might make me want to finish DMC 4. Now I just need a console to play it on...

There is a good PC port out there.

I never actually finished DMC4 either.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@arbitrarywater said:

There is a good PC port out there.

I never actually finished DMC4 either.

Unless you're absolutely in love with the gameplay aspect - as I know many people are - then it's a hard game to finish. As a person that likes character action but isn't a die-hard DMC fan I found the entire idea of backtracking through all the levels as Dante really annoying. For some reason unlike Bayonetta I wasn't simply content to massacre hordes of enemies over and over again. The last bit which is a boss rush mode, essentially forcing you to fight all the bosses in the game for the third time in a row one after the other was especially painful.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yummylee

@boozak said:

@yummylee: I liked those two boss fights but most of the bosses in DMC4 were big arse demons that werent fun to fight and felt as though they only exsisted to show off cool devil arm animations. And DmC's bosses looked unique and had some nice cinematic transitions but suffered from God of War's syndrome of 'dodge the hand, attack the hand'

Oh, but those animations were sooo goooood! I especially enjoy beating the complete shit out of that Liam O'Brien old guy. Man, Nero was such an awesome character, from a gameplay standpoint anywhoo. I think the giant fire demon was a tad annoying because of the camera, but every other one I enjoyed immensely. Oh, but yeah, the boss battles in DmC are absolute rubbish. The best was probably Vergil, and even then he paled in comparison to the Vergil fights of DMC3. Bob Barker was OK, but even then it was more for the novelty than as a well designed boss fight.

wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: wrong what? dmc4 has a bloody palace and if vergil is playable there's a good chance that we'll be able to play it as him.

m3ds334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By m3ds334

@humanity:

Yeah, I highly doubt that is going to change in this addition, but fleshed out Dante levels would be my dream. Even if they're in the same areas but just contain new paths could be a boost.

Still, this is the weirdest remaster I've seen as this game is way closer to the console launch than the console end. I guess in a way, that means it's more deserving of a remaster than stuff that came out at the end. Kinda would have preferred a Dragon's Dogma that ran at 1080p/60fps though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yummylee said:

@boozak said:

Oh, but those animations were sooo goooood! I especially enjoy beating the complete shit out of that Liam O'Brien old guy. Man, Nero was such an awesome character, from a gameplay standpoint anywhoo. I think the giant fire demon was a tad annoying because of the camera, but every other one I enjoyed immensely. Oh, but yeah, the boss battles in DmC are absolute rubbish. The best was probably Vergil, and even then he paled in comparison to the Vergil fights of DMC3. Bob Barker was OK, but even then it was more for the novelty than as a well designed boss fight.

All the DmC boss fights are way more entertaining than the DMC4 fights in my opinion. The fights in DMC4 were really long and monotonous, oftentimes coupled with bad camera.

Still happy that both are getting remasters, even if I don't really understand why they dredged DMC4 out of the crypt for this as hardcore fans that didn't like DmC weren't particularly huge fans of DMC4 either.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't stand DMC4 and doubt Vergil can do anything for me to change that. I guess its cool that at least DmC is getting a release on the current consoles , though, the PC version of the game did look really nice, and it wasn't done justice on the ps3/360. Though its just another one of these re-releases that I personally never get anything out of. Great for you if you'll buy it, but with how Capcom has been doing lately, I think it seems odd making a decision like this.

wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: i don't know where you're pulling those hot facts from.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:

@boozak said:

All the DmC boss fights are way more entertaining than the DMC4 fights in my opinion. The fights in DMC4 were really long and monotonous, oftentimes coupled with bad camera.

Still happy that both are getting remasters, even if I don't really understand why they dredged DMC4 out of the crypt for this as hardcore fans that didn't like DmC weren't particularly huge fans of DMC4 either.

Doesn't "hardcore Devil May Cry fans" actually mean "hardcore Devil May Cry 3 fans"?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FLStyle

@wakkaflakkachimmichonga said:

@flstyle: wrong what? dmc4 has a bloody palace and if vergil is playable there's a good chance that we'll be able to play it as him.

That remains to be seen, I assume you saw the words Vergil Bloody Palace in caps and mistook this thread for the DmC one.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:

@boozak said:

Doesn't "hardcore Devil May Cry fans" actually mean "hardcore Devil May Cry 3 fans"?

DMC3 is the only one of the series that is universally beloved, but DMC4 still has plenty of hardcore aficionados. All 'bout that Bloody Palace.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Corevi

@believer258: I would like to consider myself a pretty big fan of Devil May Cry and I prefer the first one to 3. It was incredibly original and created the Character Action genre while 3 was just a polishing of that original game and it didn't do anything particularly inventive.

3 is still a fantastic game though.

wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: why are you pretending that devil may cry 1 and 4 don't have hardcore fans? because they do.

@flstyle: no, i didn't. if vergil is going to be a playable character it's safe to assume that we'll be able to play as him in the bloody palace. not sure why it's so hard to understand this

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee:

@corevi said:

@believer258: I would like to consider myself a pretty big fan of Devil May Cry and I prefer the first one to 3. It was incredibly original and created the Character Action genre while 3 was just a polishing of that original game and it didn't do anything particularly inventive.

@believer258: why are you pretending that devil may cry 1 and 4 don't have hardcore fans? because they do.

I was actually trying to think of a way to fit "except DMC1 for its contribution to the character action genre" but it didn't fit into my ribbing. And that's all it was, a bit of ribbing, I know there are "hardcore DMC fans" out there who like 1, 4, and maybe even DmC.

I do think that people tend to glaze over the camera in 3, though. I think what I've played of that game is pretty good but that camera was just as troublesome as 4's at times.

wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't remember having any serious camera problems in 3 but i'm sure there were

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Yummylee

@corevi said:

I've always wondered about that, though. I mean, Onimusha came out months before DMC, and while DMC is certainly a faster game, they both share a lot of very similar gameplay elements, including many of the holdovers from Resident Evil. Like DMC, Onimusha is a hack-n-slash action game with multiple weapons and 'orbs' you use to upgrade them. What is it exactly that DMC done so differently that's allowed it to run away with the title of being the inventor of the character action genre?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@yummylee said:
    @corevi said:

I've always wondered about that, though. I mean, Onimusha came out months before DMC, and while DMC is certainly a faster game, they both share a lot of very similar gameplay elements, including many of the holdovers from Resident Evil. Like DMC, Onimusha is a hack-n-slash action game with multiple weapons and 'orbs' you use to upgrade them. What is it exactly that DMC done so differently that's allowed it to run away with the title of being the inventor of the character action genre?

I consider hack and slash games like Dynasty Warriors, Onimusha and God of War to be in a different category than more style oriented character action games like DMC or Bayonetta.

wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@corevi said:

not having tank controls and a deep battle system that only got better with each game (besides 2 and DmC)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@corevi said:

not having tank controls and a deep battle system that only got better with each game (besides 2 and DmC)

I guess the tank controls are one thing, but to say Onimusha doesn't have any depth is pretty harsh. It's much slower and focuses a lot more on precise timing to evoke samurai duels, but it obviously still requires skill to play efficiently. Also, Onimusha progressively got more complex, too. I would totally classify Dawn of Dreams for example as something akin to a character action game with the amount of combos there are and special abilities.

wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@wakkaflakkachimmichonga said:
    @yummylee said:

@corevi said:

I guess the tank controls are one thing, but to say Onimusha doesn't have any depth is pretty harsh. It's much slower and focuses a lot more on precise timing to evoke samurai duels, but it obviously still requires skill to play efficiently. Also, Onimusha progressively got more complex, too. I would totally classify Dawn of Dreams for example as something akin to a character action game with the amount of combos there are and special abilities.

being a fan of the onimusha series, the "precise timing" was only if you were trying to get issin kills as they required perfect timing. just killing them was hitting the attack button and then the block button (backstep for enemies with huge weapons that couldn't be blocked). also while dawn of dreams was very action oriented and got rid of the tank controls, it came out in 2006 while DMC3 came out in 2005 and had refined it's gameplay and added many new features meant to chain together combos.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm sure there's someone, somewherewho likes Devil May Cry 2 to a hardcore degree.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I wish we could get both a new DMC and a new DmC. >_>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.