Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 19, 2011

The Cartel is the third game in Ubisoft's Call of Juarez franchise, this time in a modern setting.

This game tries too hard

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By donchipotle

What do I mean by that, you ask? It tries to hard to emulate other games. It tries too hard to come off as 'gritty' and 'raw' and whatever other buzzwords you want to use. Except its definition of 'gritty' seems to be 'have characters say "Fuck" or "Motherfucker" every other word. It feel like they are playing to the least common denominator. The very first level has you going to a marijuana field where you burn the weed and one of your partners, the DEA agent, gets high. Then you fight a helicopter. All the while characters are screaming "FUCKER" and "BITCHES" and things like that. Now I'm no prude. I don't mind some swears, but they should tone it way down. I'm playing as Kim the FBI agent and every time I enter Concentration Mode, she says something like "You have the right to get your ass blown off by me, motherfuckers" and "You don't have rights because you'll be six feet under, motherfuckers". And those are the tame ones. It's ridiculous.

Now the shooting has never been super great in the CoJ games, but they've been fine. The shooting in The Cartel isn't great but it's not terrible. What is terrible are the moments where you have to find cover because the cover system they have (they don't have one) is atrocious. Hiding behind something still gets you shot because either your head is poking out or because enemies can shoot through things or something. Often your only source of cover is a car. Guess what happens when enemies shoot at a car. On the positive end, you build up Concentration quickly so often I just find myself going into Concentration and mowing everyone down. Also this game might have the worst death screen in recent memory. There's no death animation. The only indication that you are almost dead is the whole 'screen getting more red' and then when you die all you get is a pop up that says "You have died". On the one hand getting back into the game is quick after death. On the other hand there's no clear indication of how close you are to death even with a red screen. Sometimes I was killed in seconds after getting shot. Other times I was getting shot constantly and lived.

One thing I liked about the Call of Juarez games was the plot, especially in Bound in Blood. The plot in The Cartel is pretty lame. They said it is supposed to be a modern western but the only aspect of westerns so far is that everyone is an unlikable asshole. In the third level, the characters start choking out strippers. I mean, I know they need information but choking out strippers not in the know is not the best way to go about business. Later they chase a suspect down and take turns beating him up on the side of the highway. Kim, at least, seems the least assholish. She cared when the trio got an informant killed while the others just said "Whatever, we didn't pull the trigger." The plot hasn't exactly been gripping. It's like a bad cop movie, with the loose cannon and the wisecracking ethnic partner and the tough as nails girl one and the informant that gets into trouble. It's all very derivative. Plus the fact that every cutscene has a big fat 'Press B to skip' prompt in the upper right makes me wonder if the plot is even important. And the voice acting for Ben is just awful. But now that I'm getting further into it, there is some potential for the story to pick up. The structure of missions is also mediocre. Missions start with you in a car and you either have to drive somewhere or get out and walk; you go through an area killing dudes, then work your way back to a car so you can have a chase where your A.I. partners don't do shit. But before every mission you start in a 'pre mission lobby' which is just either a parking lot or hotel room where you can select your weapons. It is clearly meant for co op.

The side missions you get in the campaign are kind of cool. You will sometimes get a phone call early into the mission and are given a secret objective like "Collect a sample of the drugs for analysis". You are supposed to do these side objectives without being seen by the other two characters who I imagine have different objectives. In solo play, these objectives are easy as piss to accomplish without being seen but I can see it being fun to do in co op. The campaign has a level up system similar to a Call of Duty multiplayer system. Except it isn't tied to kills but rather fulfillment of secret objectives and the acquisition of secret hidden items. As you gain levels you get better weapons. I personally think it is dumb to hide weapons in the campaign in a leveling system, but that's just me.

There's a lot to dislike about this game so far. But I'm going to see it through to the end because I feel like I need to see if the plot gets any better. I don't hate the game, but I'm not loving it. It just all feels like a bland, derivative FPS.

Also the subtitles have grammatical errors aplenty so that sucks too.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Yup! I think I'll be skipping this one!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By falserelic

I heard this game was bad.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By donchipotle

@falserelic said:

I heard this game was bad.

It's not great.

captaincanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By captaincanada

Ill be surprised if the PC version ends up seeing the light of day or if it just gets canned because of poor sales

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Winger

Rented it from the redbox. Why? 

Is it even the same developer? Honestly who the fuck thought this was a good idea, they could of just refined Bound in Blood and made an excellent 2 player co-op game featuring the brothers or something.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UnrealDP

@VelvetLore04 said:

Gah, you just lost me Cartel, i was on board until that sentence....

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By donchipotle

@UnrealDP said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

Sometimes they don't even have the right sentence in the subtitles either. One moment that stood out to me was when Eddie said "That gives us probable cause." The subtitle read "That gives us probably cause." What the hell is probably cause? Never mind all the times 'you're' is spelled 'your' or 'they're' is spelled 'their', how do you get probably cause from probable cause?

Having now finished the game I can say that the plot never really picks up and the whole 'YOUR CHARACTER CHANGES THE STORY' is bullshit. It's just a choice at the very end of the game. Also this game hates helicopters just as much as 50 Cent since every boss fight is a helicopter. Except that they don't even have the decency to give you a rocket launcher or decent cover, leading to cheap deaths. Whoever decided that any time a grenade or rocket exploded anywhere near your general area would knock you to the ground for like fifteen seconds with no way to get up faster and still making you vulnerable should be reprimanded. It becomes a cycle of 'helicopter shoots rockets, you get knocked back for fifteen seconds, you get up and another rocket explodes and you get knocked down for fifteen seconds oh hey now you are dead'. It would help if your A.I. did more than hide behind cover and blind fire a fucking PISTOL while saying "If we weren't watching your back, you'd be motherfucking dead." Yeah, thanks for the support. Assholes.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @VelvetLore04 said:

@UnrealDP said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

Never mind all the times 'you're' is spelled 'your' or 'they're' is spelled 'their', how do you get probably cause from probable cause?

GODDAMMIT. Can they not hire somebody to edit the subtitles for them who actually knows English?
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UnrealDP

@VelvetLore04:

Damn, this game sounds rough and a subtitle being grossly off always bothers me way more than it should.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

@VelvetLore04 said:

The very first level has you going to a marijuana field where you burn the weed and one of your partners, the DEA agent, gets high. Then you fight a helicopter. All the while characters are screaming "FUCKER" and "BITCHES" and things like that.

This sounds exactly like the mission you did for truth in GTA: San Andreas

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donchipotle

@Laketown said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

The very first level has you going to a marijuana field where you burn the weed and one of your partners, the DEA agent, gets high. Then you fight a helicopter. All the while characters are screaming "FUCKER" and "BITCHES" and things like that.

This sounds exactly like the mission you did for truth in GTA: San Andreas

Except that mission was fun and funny and wasn't overly long and didn't have terrible first person driving segments.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Animasta

@VelvetLore04: it was overly long, that was the mission where you had to drive Truth to San Fierro in his slow ass ghetto van, but I digress; game sounds terrible.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle

@Laketown said:

@VelvetLore04: it was overly long, that was the mission where you had to drive Truth to San Fierro in his slow ass ghetto van, but I digress; game sounds terrible.

I will happily drive Peter Fonda anywhere.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Winger

I'm done, its kind of unbearable to play at this point. 

The diffuculty and checkpointing is designed for a co-op experience, its fucking terrible and the AI doesn't do anything. 

If its a 2(?) or lower don't play this game?

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hbkdx12

The QL left me with the impression that it was a horrible video game interpretation of Training Day

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Barrock

Beat it tonight. It was worth the $2 I paid at Redbox. Not a whole lot more.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Too bad, i guess with this installment the Call of Juarez franchise can R.I.P. though i loved Bound in Blood.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By scarace360
    @Barrock said:

Beat it tonight. It was worth the $2 I paid at Redbox. Not a whole lot more.

2$ you say that sounds like a deal.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Yanngc33

I edited the page a lot before release and all I got from it was that it was a disjointed coop shooter half way between left 4 dead and Brink

Danishmaggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Danishmaggot

Looooove this game! No kidding, I really do love it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jimbo

"Then you fight a helicopter."

Sold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.