cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By cooljammer00

@mattyftm said:

@cooljammer00: As Rorie said above, official communication on this issue is supposed to go via people far higher up the CBSi food chain. That'll be the primary reason why the issue has been avoided on livestreams and such.

Also, this guy seems to be primarily doing this for the attention. He's not doing anything overly malicious. Everything he has done can be reversed relatively easily. Bans can be reversed. Wiki page deletions can be reversed. Comments about the size of Rories penis can be deleted. It makes for a good show when you're watching it unfold, but it's still just a show. Anyways my point is this - if he's primarily doing it for attention, we should avoid giving him that attention.

Like people who jump the barricade at wrestling shows, or streakers at baseball games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@cooljammer00 said:

@mattyftm said:

@cooljammer00: As Rorie said above, official communication on this issue is supposed to go via people far higher up the CBSi food chain. That'll be the primary reason why the issue has been avoided on livestreams and such.

Also, this guy seems to be primarily doing this for the attention. He's not doing anything overly malicious. Everything he has done can be reversed relatively easily. Bans can be reversed. Wiki page deletions can be reversed. Comments about the size of Rories penis can be deleted. It makes for a good show when you're watching it unfold, but it's still just a show. Anyways my point is this - if he's primarily doing it for attention, we should avoid giving him that attention.

Like people who jump the barricade at wrestling shows, or streakers at baseball games.

Or the majority of trolls on the internet, who have nothing better to do with their time than desperately try to get attention by acting out. So yes, let's ignore him as much as we can.

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By Some-human
@rorie said:

Sorry if anyone felt like we were trying to cover anything up or sweeping anything under the rug - part of the issue is that part of this communication has to be coordinated with CBS legal and PR when things like this happen. This entire thread exists because I was trying to ensure that everyone knew that we had no reason to believe that any user's personal information was compromised - I threw it up very late at night without checking with anyone at CBSi. We're still looking into everything that happened and will try to communicate better in the future if this kind of thing happens again.

For the moment, hopefully you don't feel like we've been uncommunicative in this matter - if you do, I apologize, and we'll try to be more agile in the future. But, as I said, there's some legal stuff involved and I need to get some guidance on that before we really start talking about what happened. Again, there's absolutely no reason to believe that anyone's passwords, billing, email addresses, or account information was accessed. If that had happened, I would rather tell you guys immediately and risk whatever personal consequences there were rather than wait for someone to approve my wording. The only reason I wasn't screaming at you guys to change all your passwords was because we are almost entirely certain that none of your information was affected by this in any way.

I wish I could get into more detail, but again, some of this involves entities well above my pay grade. We'll try to do a post-mortem on this when we're sure that talking about it won't put the site at more risk.

If anyone has any issues with the above, please let me know. I'll check back in on this thread tomorrow, or you can reach me via PM or matthew.rorie@cbsinteractive.com. (I haven't been able to get back to all my PMs today, but I will get back to everyone eventually!)

@rorie: thanks for that clarification, I feel a-lot more at ease now. Apologies for my rant.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@oldirtybearon said:

@deathstriker666 said:

Hitmanagent47 warned us of this. Just before he was banned

I don't think I ever heard why he was banned. Was it because he's a lunatic or did he finally do something against the forum rules?

As I understand it, the mods got tired of his antics when he spammed the forums with a bunch of nonsense ranting. It was pretty funny, but Matty and the rest of the mod team didn't think so.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Since it looks like the furor has died down, I'm going to un-sticky this now.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#206  Edited By NicksCorner

Great, thanks for the vigilance Rorie!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By rorie

@nickscorner: Welcome! All of this is in the adept hands of CBS Information Security at this point. I'll try to let you guys know the outcome when I know it myself.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By TruthTellah

@rorie said:

@nickscorner: Welcome! All of this is in the adept hands of CBS Information Security at this point. I'll try to let you guys know the outcome when I know it myself.

To be honest, "Information Security" kinda sounds like some totalitarian outlet of misinformation and thought police.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By villainy

@rorie said:

To be honest, "Information Security" kinda sounds like some totalitarian outlet of misinformation and thought police.

My name is Mr. Villainy. CBS. Info Sec. I'm going to need you to answer a few questions.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@villainy said:

@truthtellah said:

@rorie said:

My name is Mr. Villainy. CBS. Info Sec. I'm going to need you to answer a few questions.

Get... get out of my head!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8IpQ3p5yW4w/UKsOQc_L_bI/AAAAAAAAFkg/5EJnqDZ-NF0/s1600/0Dbrp.gif

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I was there in the chat, it was something to be remembered. Terrifying and amazing all at the same time. Really feels like the hacker was just fucking with us, like it was a game. You know what? It's not, I take my hobby's VERY seriously. Glad it's under control.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave, where are you?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#214  Edited By Hailinel

@alekss said:

Dave, where are you?

In a realm of magic and adventure, riding on the backs of dragons.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@alekss said:

Dave, where are you?

In a realm of magic and adventure, riding on the backs of dragons.

Icewind Dale II again?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for arrested_developer
Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we all know that this is Dave's fail-safe in case he was ever fired. He doesn't log in for a couple of weeks and it starts burning this mother down.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By JouselDelka

thank you rorie for the update

by the way I found it funny that the GB guys are always making fun of 'official talk' and PR lingo, and when they get hacked they resort to the same tone they mock!

but this isn't very funny, I know..