Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Official Fez puzzle hint thread!

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#401  Edited By Barrabas

@BaconBuTTy:

The controller codes are fairly obvious, the numbers possibly the least obvious thing in the game depending on your familiarity with pangrams for the alphabet. You can pretty much only miss the controller codes if you haven't visited the room explaining them, you could probably easily miss the numbers.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#402  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Yeah, the website has been broken ever since a bunch of people started making false positives. The guy who made it said he'll hopefully have everything fixed by tonight.

For the record, all 10 "possible answers" on there that people confirmed so far are fake.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#403  Edited By alexpiercey

Well, I guess we're done then.

vegoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#404  Edited By vegoku

For those who care/haven't seen --> It has been solved - the monolith I mean. Someone from xbox360achievements brute forced it

I have no idea what it means or what not, just passing the word

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405  Edited By Robo

@vegoku: Yep. Though I wouldn't say "solved." Found through process of elimination after a recent huge hint from Treyher.

So if any of you have no interest in an actual challenge feel free to plug that badboy in and put this game on your digital shelf.

Now some of us will be trying to figure out what the actual link is to the game and how one might actually get to that solution.

vegoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406  Edited By vegoku

@Robo said:

So the solution to the black monolith was found through process of elimination after a recent hint from Treyher.

If you have no interest in an actual challenge, feel free to look that up. I'm sure someone will post it here too.

Now a few people are trying to figure out what the actual link is to the game and how you might actually get to that solution.

I would love to know WHY it is the answer - I did need help for some of the game, but this puzzle, CRAZY how long it took the internet to solve it - the answer has to be outside the game, no?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#407  Edited By Bocam

So where do I put that code in

sam33r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#408  Edited By sam33r
    Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409  Edited By Fracture

I put in the code and got the red cubes. Went back to the 64 cube door and the red cube that's spinning still looks sort of incomplete. I still can see 3 yellow cubes in the tops of the cube there and nothing else in that room happens. I don't think I ever got a red cube thing from the security question room. I put the word together, those blocks disappeared and I got the anticube but never remember seeing any red cubes. Going back to that room does nothing. Was there something else I was supposed to have done there? Really don't want to have to start over.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410  Edited By Robo

@vegoku: Seriously. We don't care what the answer is. That's not the point. You don't really get anything just from plugging it in aside from a % boost (which I believe is by design...since they could have easily had an Achievement in for it).

We want to know why it is what it is.

@sam33r: I didn't even figure it out until well after that, haha. And I was kicking myself after because that area was frustrating as hell. I actually noticed it when I first encountered the monolith. I kept hitting up a bunch of times trying to jump and activate it and by chance I managed to hit up 4 times in a row before jumping and noticed I could fly. After a while of trying to repeat it I figured it out. I thought it was a bug.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#411  Edited By amlabella

Can someone help me out with this particular room:

No Caption Provided

I'm not sure why it isn't gold - I got whatever was in there (a cube I think), and it doesn't indicate that there's a secret in there. I have one small cube left before I reach 32 regular cubes, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with this room. I know out of context it's hard to figure out where that is - it is down and to the left of this hub world:

No Caption Provided
    vegoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412  Edited By vegoku

@amlabella: the top one - did you fly up and grab the cube? because I was stuck and flew up but didn't gold the location. TO gold it, make sure to solve how to get up to the top part (if thats what you did)

Twist the inside and outside so they are matching (both showing openings) around each perspective - one of them has a door in it to enter into a mechanical section
    amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#413  Edited By amlabella

@vegoku: Ah yes, that explains it. I flew to the top as you indicated and didn't actually navigate the room the proper way. I had originally tried the solution you stated in the spoiler but apparently I didn't try all the perspectives.

Thanks for your help! :)

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#414  Edited By RafaelMei

It seems like my game is glitched. I have 31 anticubes and the only puzzle left for me is the monolith. The only other room which is not gold is the Observatory but I have done both codes to solve it and got nothing (which I guess can only mean I already got them)... Well, fuck.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#415  Edited By Mijati

I'm either missing something entirely obvious or have messed up somewhere. I'm in the room where there's a bunch of walls to bomb however each time I bomb the walls they very quickly fill in again. What am I missing? I feel incredibly stupid not being able to figure this out as the rest of the game up to this point has been no trouble, so I feel like I must be missing something.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#416  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator
    Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#417  Edited By Mijati

@SgtSphynx: Just figured it out myself, boy do I feel stupid! Spent about 30 minutes in this room.

Thanks a lot!

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418  Edited By RafaelMei

@DarkDude: If it makes you feel any better I took quite a while to realize that too...

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#419  Edited By Phoenix778m

Are the throne rooms solved through QR codes? I didn't do them but they are marked as completed.

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#420  Edited By ShadowVirus

What do I do once I start NG+?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#421  Edited By MachoFantastico

I'm lost, just got the telescope puzzle tho, talk about obscure. Took an hour to notice those red lights and then even longer to figure out it was an imput. :p

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By alexpiercey

@ShadowVirus: Keep clearing out all the stages for cubits.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423  Edited By MachoFantastico

Ah darn it! Map saying the telescope room still as a secret. I'm going to lose patience with this game aren't I.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TrueEnglishGent said:

I'm lost, just got the telescope puzzle tho, talk about obscure. Took an hour to notice those red lights and then even longer to figure out it was an imput. :p

Don't think they are inputs ... at least, I only solved the thing once i actively ignored them. Just took the two shapes from each side and ran through them in pairs backwards and forwards until the cube appeared. Guess I could have accidentally done something where the flashy red light input is supposed to go :/

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425  Edited By MachoFantastico

Of what I've solved so far, I'm still wondering what this revelation the guys on the bombcast kept raving about. Seems its something that helps make things make sense. Maybe it's a NG+ thing. Still struggling to collect the cubes.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By Barrabas

@drag: There are two puzzles in the telescope room. solved a different one than you. Arguably the harder one, though I also figured out that one before the anti-cube puzzle.

DavidBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427  Edited By DavidBee

So what happens now? Do you ACTUALLY get anything from the red heart? Is this another puzzle asking for one last solution? Because every cube is golden on my map, so it would be misleading if there was still a secret. Guess that wouldn't be too much of a surprise, though. I mean, it would be hard to make a reward satisfying for solving such a huge, stumping puzzle (which technically no one has found out how to still), but just to get a floating red heart... Eh. If people are in fact taking this as a new puzzle, could it possibly deal with the walls in the 64-cube room? They have the trademark two diagonal squares seen in many puzzles in this game. Maybe just unfold it (since it is all swirling) and input that as a code? What are anyone's thoughts on this whole outcome?

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Barrabas: Is the other one for the cryptographer achievement? Cos i got that in there too but entirely by accident, it confused the hell out of me.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429  Edited By Barrabas

@drag: No. I think you can basically get the cryptographer achievement anywhere in the game as long as you're doing one of the unlocking codes. I think you can also get it by doing one of the QR Reader things but my guess is that one counts for another puzzle that acutally would have unlocked the cryptographer achievement the normal way.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430  Edited By MachoFantastico

Anyone know what's up with those blue and gray statues? One near the lighthouse and suspect it's related to the secret I've yet to figure out for that part.

Didn't realise there were two puzzles in the telescope room, got the one will have to figure out the other.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431  Edited By Robo

@DavidBee: I'm willing to bet there's nothing more after that.

It seems to me that solving the Monolith - either on your own or with the community - was intended to be its own reward. That's why there's no achievement associated with it and no extra ending. Just stumbling onto the code for the last piece is unfulfilling by design.

I need to start contributing to that guide. Been kind of busy.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432  Edited By Barrabas

@TrueEnglishGent: You should not worry about too many puzzles until you're on NG+. If the statues are what I'm thinking they are you should definitely not worry about them until NG+.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433  Edited By MachoFantastico
    @Barrabas Fair enough, have 29 cubes now tho suspect the final three are going to be the toughest to get. Think my brain needs a rest. :)
    DavidBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434  Edited By DavidBee

Yeah. It wasn't very fulfilling to just get the input by brute forcing. But from what I've heard, chances of me finding the code were zero to none. Simply, the code apparently came from outside the game. Dafuq? I would've had no idea where to even begin if that was the case. But this game was indeed mentally challenging, and I'm surprised at how far out of the box they went with the game design. Overall, I am very pleased with this game. I love specifically how it FORCED me to grab a pen and some paper and start transcribing and deciphering things. Can't recall a single game that ever got me that involved. And I know my messages are bordering on TL;DR, but being a newbie to the site I only have so many post per day. :(

thellama042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435  Edited By thellama042

@TrueEnglishGent said:

@Barrabas Fair enough, have 29 cubes now tho suspect the final three are going to be the toughest to get. Think my brain needs a rest. :)

I think I ended my first playthrough with ~36 cubes, so it's definitely possible to get more than the 32 cubes required to get to NG+. The majority of the cubes are able to be found without being in NG+, but you can't get all the cubes without being in NG+ or reading guides.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#436  Edited By Humanity

@Barrabas said:

@drag: There are two puzzles in the telescope room. solved a different one than you. Arguably the harder one, though I also figured out that one before the anti-cube puzzle.

Well I'm actually curious if there is real rhyme and reason to this one - the one with the telescope anti-cube. I got the "pairs" but the order in which you input doesn't seem to make sense. I eventually just looked it up online because I thought maybe I was missing something but I couldn't understand why in the places online I checked the input was different than from what I wrote down - and even then inputting that one didn't work right away I had to put it in a couple of times. Is it a bit of logic and trial and error or is there an actual explanation?

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437  Edited By Panpipe

@Humanity: I found it quite simple.

I wrote down the pairs of inputs from each view, having rotated with the right trigger each time. I then ran through the sequence, looping back to the beginning to make sure that I got the code in the right order aaaaand BAM, anti-cube.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438  Edited By Th3_James
    No Caption Provided

i'm here and don't know how to get to the top. I blow up that wall to the right of me and than it reappears before I can get another bomb to blow up the rest of the wall and climb up

Qblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439  Edited By Qblivion

@Th3_James: Try rotating while the wall is exploding.

tiglionabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440  Edited By tiglionabbit

I'm in the room with the thin column of platforms in the middle that extends to infinity vertically. It has one regular door and a small warp gate. I got the yellow cube here, but there's still a question mark on this room on the map. What else can I do here?

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441  Edited By WiqidBritt

@tiglionabbit: notice that the platforms themselves in that room are a certain set of shapes? (with the door facing the screen)

tiglionabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442  Edited By tiglionabbit

Yeah I just noticed that. I feel silly for asking :P. Ok, I think I need to rant. Untagged puzzle spoilers ahead I guess.

Now all that's left is that stupid clock. The real puzzle here is figuring out how to set the time on my xbox. It wont let me change the time if I'm logged in to xbox live, but if I sign out of xbox live I can't continue from my save game of Fez. Maybe I have to mess up my wireless networking settings or something? I hate this gimmick, but these last two nega-cubes are the only thing between me and a finished hexahedron.

Btw, as for the security question puzzle -- I think it's reasonable that people could have found the answer based on the owl's clues. They are pretty spot on. However, the fact that you have to write the name sideways really bothers me. Rotated letters become different letters! Though I suppose the game never presents text horizontally so it kind of makes sense to write it vertically even though the blocks are horizontal, I never would have thought of that without seeing someone else's answer. Also, even after answering it perfectly it didn't accept my answer until I went back and jimmied all the boxes in both dimensions to make sure they were exactly on their snap-to points. One pixel off and it wouldn't accept the answer. Pretty frustrating.

My first ideas about the security question were that, by God, it was referring to the Hexahedron. At the end of the game the hexahedron fills up with cubes you've collected. Half of them are regular cubes and the other half are nega-cubes. I thought that went quite well with the half and half hint. "my first half is what it is" could refer to the golden cubes, and "my second half is half of what made it" doesn't really imply the nega cubes but it's not a far stretch. I thought I might get some hints toward this by translating the Hexahedron's monologue at the start of the game, but he doesn't say anything at all of importance. All he does is talk about this routine procedure that he needs help with and how he thought it wouldn't work because your head is weird. Welcome to the club, here's your free hat, etc, and if something goes wrong you will have to clean it up.

The fact that the language in this game is just an english cypher disappointed me. I've already done the cypher thing in Aquaria, and I thought the way they presented it there was much more interesting. Besides, they don't have you translating pointless babble about the shape of your head in that game. The coded writings in that game are actually quite fascinating.

And the numbering system. What kind of numbering system has multiple symbols for the same basic numbers? I found that fact terribly distressing, since the first thing I assumed about it was that this sort of thing would never happen. And it's base ten! I thought it'd at least be base six because there are six faces on a cube. Or if you are going to do the north-east-south-west thing, that the lines would be a binary representation (1 * 2 * 4 * 8) so there wouldn't be two symbols for the same number. This diagram looks like it has dimensions, so I assumed the symbols there were increasing powers of 6. Another wall in the same room has all six faces of the counting cube laid out from left to right, and I assumed that was indicating how to count from zero to five. when I first found the counting cube, I thought it might work like a die, where every pair of opposite sides adds up to seven (or 6 if one was zero). I might even have done some algebra to figure out what the symbols were, but when i saw expressions where two different symbols were said to be equal I gave up on that and decided that must not be an equals sign after all. All of these assumptions turned out to be wrong.

I will concede that I did find it clever that both the lettering and numbering systems only used symbols that could be created with various rotations of a single six-sided stamp. It lends some credibility to those artifacts you find. Unfortunately, the placements of the symbols on the artifacts has no significance, so the artifacts don't help you at all other than to say "these are numbers" or "these are letters".

crunchbitejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#443  Edited By crunchbitejr

Can anyone offer any help here?

No Caption Provided

Edit: Ignore me. Idiot.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444  Edited By LongMasterWolf

@tiglionabbit: Why can't you disconnect from XBL and continue your saved game?

aisuru113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By aisuru113

I am having trouble getting back into the monolith room. I have been in there once already but I went back out and the water level has risen to the point that I can't get into the room now. I have tried to imput the code again at the waterfall with no success. Can someone help?

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446  Edited By Panpipe

@aisuru113: Sounds like a bug. If you can't access the place where the water level drops then you're boned.

So, the soundtrack is out now. Any clues in there? Currently downloading but Bandcamp is being a slow bastard.

Crocadillian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447  Edited By Crocadillian

@Panpipe said:

@aisuru113: Sounds like a bug. If you can't access the place where the water level drops then you're boned.

So, the soundtrack is out now. Any clues in there? Currently downloading but Bandcamp is being a slow bastard.

Also for anyone who has solved the Monolith puzzle and doesn't care about seeing how far the rabbit hole goes:

The user allaze-eroler on GameFAQ found a Spectrogram image in the track Continuum (warning, creepy - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14183130/we_are_watching.png), and we unearthed several more in the form of various works of art, year numbers (presumably), QR codes, symbols and more. It's getting even more cryptic than it was already, but hey, some leads!

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448  Edited By Panpipe

Looks like we're back in business boys.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#449  Edited By theguy

I don't know if this helps anyone (I don't have the game) but the song "Continuum" on the soundtrack is the same as Chopin's Prelude in E-Minor (op.28 no. 4). Might have something to do with the weird soundtrack stuff? Or maybe they just redid it because they like it.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450  Edited By LongMasterWolf

I love all of you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.