Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Official Fez puzzle hint thread!

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#251  Edited By jacdg

Yep, I'm never going to come close to finishing this game/completing everything in it, puzzle games make me feel stupid..

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#252  Edited By Bollard

@1p said:

@Chavtheworld said:

I'm assuming that order from the maps is the numbers 1 to 4

Don't know about the order, but you do have the numbers 1 to 4 covered with those treasure maps. The numbers code is very... logical.

Mkay thanks, I'll keep trying, been standing in that classroom now looking at the stuff on the walls for like half an hour and its not coming to me haha!

Are there any operators or is it all just numbers?

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#253  Edited By 1p

@Chavtheworld said:

@1p said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Don't know about the order, but you do have the numbers 1 to 4 covered with those treasure maps. The numbers code is very... logical.

Mkay thanks, I'll keep trying, been standing in that classroom now looking at the stuff on the walls for like half an hour and its not coming to me haha!

Keep staring at that classroom! Everything you see there is relevant.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#254  Edited By gunstar

Any tips on the room underneath the blue warp gate

after you lower the water level. I've gone in first person and see the thing on the ground, which looks like the burnt map, but putting in the code on the map doesn't seem to do anything
    Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Bravestar

@markgcarter: yeah, it dawned on my a few minutes after I made the post and now I completed the game(only black monolith left).

@Chavtheworld: count :)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By Bollard

@1p said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@1p said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Keep staring at that classroom! Everything you see there is relevant.

@Bravestar said:

@markgcarter: yeah, it dawned on my a few minutes after I made the post and now I completed the game(only black monolith left).

@Chavtheworld: count :)

Gah! I know what it is now! I was looking through this thread for slightly easier hints and there was one that spelt it out more than I was ready for. Is a cool system, I see now what most of the symbols in that classroom mean. Plus there totally is an = sign then. Thanks for the hints.

EDIT:

Also, the bell disappears?!!/1/1/1/?! Who thought that was a good idea, hitting the bell was good fun! Dang it! haha
    1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By 1p

So, uh, guys? I think my clock tower is permanently stuck. I have 62 cubes now, and from what i can tell i'm missing two from the clock puzzle (which has a total of four cubes, two of which i already got earlier when the clock was still working).

The hands are not moving! I can hear it ticking, but nothing is moving. Please help?

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Robo

@1p: Which hands are still there? The white one moves extremely slowly (a full rotation is several days in real time).

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By 1p

@Robo: Green and white are there, blue and red seem to have lost their color (because i solved them, i assume).

WAIT: You're saying

they're not stuck but just extremely slow. Makes sense now that i think about it. I read that green is 1 day and white is 1 week. I'll mess with the system clock and see what happens.

edit: Is there a wiki or something with all the text in the game translated? It would take ages to do it all myself.

mint1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#260  Edited By mint1e
    No Caption Provided

has anyone figured this room out? everyone here said they just played about with it till it worked, I dont understand it, made all the pictures etcetc i cant figure it out!

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By gunstar

@Mint1e: i kind of want to know the answer to this, or rather the explanation. I was just messing around with the blocks and it popped.

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle

@Chavtheworld: Apparently one of the owls gives you a clue to the password;

The 64 bit name of God

I still don't understand it though. I guessed it and managed to get it right XD

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Robo

@gunstar: It just popped for me too, but I was trying to make one shape that wasn't on the list. I believe that's actually the solution.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Bollard

@Mint1e said:

No Caption Provided

has anyone figured this room out? everyone here said they just played about with it till it worked, I dont understand it, made all the pictures etcetc i cant figure it out!

I solved that room super randomly, like, I was trying to make one of the pictures and had the blocks in the following shape (from front on:)

OOO
    OOO (Like a Z with 3 on top, and 3 on bottom joined by the end ones only)

and it just popped and gave me the cube.

@MegaMetaTurtle: This is what I found online:

Lyfeforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By Lyfeforce

I'm banging my head against the wall in the school room as well. It looks like the one black board (see left) has a code on it, but I haven't been able to decrypt the pattern.

This sucker right here
    This sucker right here

It looks like an Up, Left, RT pattern to start, but then there's that long rectangle area that doesn't make any sense and then there's a second rectangle facing left, which doesn't make sense at all. Do z blocks dock with each other if next to an identical block? Am I overthinking it?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Bollard

@Lyfeforce: Ignore that one,

just enter the sequence (it us an up down etc pattern) on the other wall. The one that is split up into 3 parts and put horizontally. The square shapes are for another button (not up/down lt/rt) incase you didn't know.
    1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By 1p

OK, good news: My clock puzzle is not glitched. I'm just slightly dumb and didn't think it through all the way.

64 cubes! SO GOOD

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#268  Edited By mracoon

You guys should collaborate and make a guide. There doesn't seem to be any Fez guides around right now so if you make one it'll get a ton of views.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By gunstar

@Robo: can you gimme a hint for my query earlier? it's on the last page.

Also i finished the security question room, and my game crashed -_-. I'm assuming that's not normal.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Robo

@gunstar: You need to be standing in a very specific spot.

And no, it's not supposed to crash there.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By gunstar

@Robo: But if you're standing there, won't inputting the code make you move

edit: well shit, I look down at my notes and notice that there are no left right inputs, i feel silly.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By Robo

And with that, welcome to the WTF DO WE DO WITH THIS GOD DAMNED MONOLITH!? club.

mint1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By mint1e

im now in the WTF DO WE DO WITH THIS GOD DAMNED MONOLITH! club, gonna have to sit here and wait as i have no ideas!

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By gunstar

@Robo: Not quite in that club yet. Need one more hint. In the room that is infinitely scrolling up and down. It's not gold for me and I can't find anything else to do here!

mint1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By mint1e

@gunstar: look at the shapes of the platforms in that room.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By Robo

Yeah every now and then I go search around following up on an idea, but it never really seems to add up to much.

Most of the theories I've had so far have been tried already, all to no avail of course. I'm still thinking it's gotta be something much simpler than everyone expects at this point. We're all just overlooking it.

Most recently there have been some interesting ideas about the last segment of the tome. The two sections before it are sort of hints to the previous two heart pieces. So people are thinking the Monolith's hint is "All of time and space. And the space outside of space. Where does it end?" which was also written on a wall beneath the clock.

But nobody knows where to go with that. We've thoroughly checked the area through the stargate, as it is one of the only places you can go that isn't on the map. A space outside of space. But there doesn't seem to be anything there.

Aside from that, people have:

- Found concentric square patterns while in first-person view around the world and tried to compile them into one shape that might yield an input pattern, but it doesn't look like anything.

- Tried insane amounts of permutations of inputs based on the words Metatron, Phil Fish, Polytron, binary forms of those words, inputs found elsewhere in the game rotated and combined in various ways, etc.

- Tried linking the 8 large letters in the tome to the alphabet and number dice and creating strings of inputs based on motions used to turn the dice. Also using the order of letters used to decipher the tome.

- Looked into connections to 2001 A Space Odyssey.

- Been analyzing an old logo Phil apparently created for Kokoromi (http://phishy.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d2jjcpd) which features a familiar heart shape. EDIT: 120 permutations of input strings based on Kokoromi have been tried.

etc. etc. etc.

We are seriously lost at this point.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By 1p

@Robo:

@Mint1e:

I'm actually glad i joined the club before the thing got figured out. It'll be cool to watch the internet solve it.

robin_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By robin_smith

why does everyone keep talking about 2001 a space odyssey, there was a 2010 and 2061 and lastly 3001...

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@GioVANNI said:

What about the room with the QR code? Do I actually have to scan it? I don't have a smartphone, or any phone for that matter

If you scan it you will get the message RT RT LT RT LT LT LT RT.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#280  Edited By Barrabas

I keep hearing more and more that the monolith puzzle might just have to be brute forced. I hope that's not the case, but it's making me lose a lot of interest in figuring it out myself.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By Robo

So the idea I mentioned earlier for finding inputs based on rotations of the alphabet cube was actually something I came up with last night, thinking I'd seen it elsewhere...but the forum I thought I saw it on just got around to talking about it now.

I wonder if i really was on to something. I kind of gave up after a couple variations.

This is what I came up with:

From the large letters in the tome you get PAEAEBUP...8 letters.

I thought what if those letters are on the cube? ...Sure enough, they are. The first letter is the one facing you when you select the cube.

So I pulled up the cube and wrote down the inputs necessary to spell that string out.

RT RT LT RT RT RT ? LT

The question mark is for a tilting motion you do to read the "U" character on the top of the cube. While putting this in as key presses I substituted A or Up/Down. No variations either forwards or backwards worked.

I haven't tried doing something similar based on the order of pages used to decipher the tome yet, because I don't believe that'd be 8 inputs...but it might still be worth a shot.

...so yeah, if anyone wants to look further into that, be my guest.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#282  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Here's a hint. Turn vibration on, otherwise your fucked for an entire set of puzzles. Happened to me.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By Robo

@Barrabas said:

I keep hearing more and more that the monolith puzzle might just have to be brute forced. I hope that's not the case, but it's making me lose a lot of interest in figuring it out myself.

Yeah, rumor has it the sound guys that solved it and the one or two friends they helped didn't find it via clues or hints, they just knew the code.

I'm holding out hope that it's really just very well hidden.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By Robo

I both hate and love the fact that I can almost read what I'll call "cubish" at this point without a guide.

Avatar image for ricardofontescarvalho
    RicardoFontesCarvalho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi there I'm new here and I have been playing Fez, actually I have a theory about the monolith room.

I think that whole thing about "the name of God in 64-bit" is related to the password METRATON, because METRATON is equivalent name of God in Gematria. So I think the solution is in Hexadecimal system. I didn't make any more research, but with all the feedback that the solution isn't in the game I'm messing around with theories! :D

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By Robo

@RicardoFontesCarvalho: Welcome.

Yep, Metatron has come up quite a bit but it seems nobody has quite nailed down the best method for converting it to inputs.

Some have converted it straight to binary then tapped out the 0 and 1 sequence as left and right. Others have mapped the letters to the alphabet cube, then matched those sides with the number cube, then the number cube to the various inputs in the boiler room at the start of the game. Nothing seems to add up.

Similar things have also been tried with binary conversions of "God, GOD, and god" as well as "YHVH"

Some argue still that the whole "64 bit name of God" thing only applied to the password and nothing else. Which is what I tend to believe. Right now I'm sticking with the idea that the very last section of the tome is our biggest and best hint, "All of time and space, and the space outside of space, does it ever end?"

Someone mentioned messages that ARENT in the tome being important. Well, one message in particualr stands out in my mind, "The points constellate, conspire to create shapes, shapes to tessellate." The part about tessellation is in the tome but not the rest. I'm wondering if there's some set of points we can use to create a kind of constellation of inputs.

I think the guy that layered all the concentric squares onto themselves may be on to something that might play into that.

Edit: Blocked out parts people still determined to decipher everything might not want to see.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is metatron supposed to be spelled horizontally? Because I have it spelled out vertically but nothing is happening. Or am I missing something else?

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#288  Edited By MjHealy

Forget all this monolith business.

Where the fuck is the observatory?

Sarkahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#289  Edited By Sarkahn

@Manhattan_Project: Make sure you have a space between each letter. If you tilt your head 90 degrees to the right, you would read it as you would any other word in that language. I had to rotate a couple of times after I had it spelled out for it to actually register for whatever reason.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By Robo

@Manhattan_Project: For the security question?

EDIT: I forgot, it's right to left and on it's side. So rotate each character 90* CW.

It should be spelled out from right to left with spaces. Also, the room should be aligned so you can see the doorway.

After you manage to spell that out, rotate the room 360* to the right twice.

New development in the monolith case:

Monolith is 8 characters...and people seriously just noticed that now. See what I mean by over-thinking? We'll see where that gets us, though.

renatop3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By renatop3

how many red cubes are there? i got two, the only ones i've read about it, but i got 63 cubes, waiting for clock green one, and some rooms still show the ? mark.

and what's the glitched 33rd anticube?

manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sarkahn: @Robo: I have it spelled out right to left so that it reads correctly if I tilt my head right 90 degrees but its not doing anything. I'm gonna exit the room and do it again.

Hopefully I didn't run into some glitch.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By louiedog

@Manhattan_Project said:

@Sarkahn: @Robo: I have it spelled out right to left so that it reads correctly if I tilt my head right 90 degrees but its not doing anything. I'm gonna exit the room and do it again.

Make sure to rotate back and forth a couple of times. I had to do that to get it to register.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Robo

@renatop3: Ugh, I just wrote all this out but something glitched when I hit post reply...so here goes again, heh.

There are three red cubes.

The 33rd anticube glitch allows you to obtain an extra anticube in certain areas (I initially thought it was only in the observatory, but apparently there are many places it can happen). There's also a more rare glitch that allows you to get infinite extra anticubes.

You don't want get an extra one because it will revert you back to the original ending instead of the 64 cube ending.

The highest percentage for completion with 3 red cubes, 32 cubes, and 32 anticubes is 209.4%. The folks you see on the leaderboards with 212.5% and higher either got all three red cubes and one or more anticubes or simply several anticubes. Many of the people with 209.4% got an extra anticube but didn't find the last red one.

As of right now, the only known and verified people who found all three red cubes are BeeMickSee, Mr Samutz, treyher, and one or two others. All members of Fez's dev team and a few friends they shared the final solution with.

EDIT: Scratch Samutz off that list. He has two extra cubes. He didn't solve the monolith and he's no dev. http://samutz.com/lifestream/items/view/212/fez-and-the-monolith

@louiedog said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

Make sure to rotate back and forth a couple of times. I had to do that to get it to register.

Yep. And you have to do it fairly neatly to keep the cubes properly lined up. The first time I did it I was kind of all over the place and it didn't work. The second time I made sure to go down the line one letter at a time and it worked fine.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By Robo

Another thought based on something someone mentioned on another forum. The whole "Does it ever end" thing could be referring to infinity.

The symbol on the burnt treasure map and on the ground under the monolith is an infinite loop. Perhaps the opposite side from the code we CAN see is some rotation based on the lines of the loop itself.

I wish my old Mathematical Thought professor played this game. Dude thought on an entirely different plane than most of us and loved this type of sacred geometry and cryptanalysis stuff.

manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to be sure, this is correct, right?

No Caption Provided

Oh and that cube decided to glitch out after I took that picture:

No Caption Provided
    renatop3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By renatop3

thanks @robo! does it mean that it's possible to get 32 anticubes but not the "rights ones"? it might explain why there are some areas in my map that are still showing the ? symbol.

and the third red cube is from the black monolith? Or is it another mystery?

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By Bravestar

@Manhattan_Project: no, each side has a different letter.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By Robo

@renatop3: Didn't think about that, but yeah, I guess it would be possible to get an extra anticube and not the right one. What areas still have the question mark for you? And yeah the third red cube comes from solving that damned monolith.

@Manhattan_Project: Nah, each of those characters need to be on their side. So the M actually looks like the S glyph and so on. It should actually look like the glyphs spell "H I L N G N X S"

No Caption Provided
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Robo said:

@renatop3: Didn't think about that, but yeah, I guess it would be possible to get an extra anticube and not the right one. What areas still have the question mark for you? And yeah the third red cube comes from solving that damned monolith.

@Manhattan_Project: Nah, each of those characters need to be on their side. So the M actually looks like the S glyph and so on. It should actually look like the glyphs spell "H I L N G N X S"

I thought I did have them on their side... So is my alphabet wrong?? But how have I been able to translate all the writing on the walls?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.