Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Official Fez puzzle hint thread!

Spellbot5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#351  Edited By Spellbot5000

I was bored, so I made The Uncanny Fez-Men:

Grimtides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#352  Edited By Grimtides

About the Monolith, dunno if someone noticed this already (and I don't have the time to go through the entire 50 pages on GameFAQ), but :

- The eyepatched Gomez may mean the player has to close one eye to solve the puzzle.

- Kokoromi (the symbol we are completing with red cubes) has eight letters (just like monolith and metatron), and five different ones. For some reason the five letters seem very important to some GameFAQ users, I have no idea if that means anything.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#353  Edited By 1p

Uhh... i found this on our wiki:

... as well as the ability to fly (to activate press up four times and then hold A).

Is this real and do you automatically get it on NG+? Why did the game never tell me?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#354  Edited By kindgineer

I just found the kill-screen, which by the way is totally rad.

Back on topic, now that I've "beaten the game," I have no idea where to go and it's depressing me. I have the writer's block and could really use a nudge in the right direction. I don't want an all out answer, but if someone could whisper quaintly in my ear a subtle hint in the direction I need to take to progress with the artifact, I would be much obliged.

Also, I didn't find this Alphabet translation thing many people are talking about later in the game.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#355  Edited By Mnemoidian
    Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By Panpipe

@ccampb89: If I had any advice on how to start cracking the game it would be this:

- To progress, you're gonna have to learn the game's hints. Think logically. If you wanted to learn something, where would you go?

The artifacts don't help you progress with anything.

EDIT: You also don't need to translate the alphabet for most of the anticubes. Only a couple of puzzles are actually enriched by translating the alphabet. Most puzzles can be solved by using your new game+ skill and my previous hint.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By Robo

@ccampb89: You gotta start with the alphabet and number systems. The artifacts themselves don't help with that.

Look for two characters from a well known pangram. The number system takes a little more thought to figure out.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By 1p

I'm still waiting for a wiki or something of all the text translated. I want to know what the dudes in that town are saying, but i'm too lazy to translate myself.

evilwallpaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By evilwallpaper

I translated pretty much everything in the town and didn't find anything of worth, most of it repeats.

Half of them say how nice it is to have a visitor for once and the other half insult your rectangle head.

edit: acctually I have some of it saved.

i think it is nice to have a visitor for once

what is wrong with your head

how do you do

he wears the fez

ha ha ha check out mr rectangle over there

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360  Edited By Bravestar

@Spellbot5000: that's really awesome

@ccampb89: also use your new ability

renatop3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By renatop3

Did everybody that solved the monolith had developers' help/information? To me, it will be just a rip-off puzzle with no logic solution - the developers will release the solution in the internet pretending to be a regular player.

In other hand, the red blocks were designed to be the last collectibles of the game, since you need all the cubes to know their existence. The fact is that everybody found them before the end of the game. And if you think they are the last, the monolith might have something to do with the stereoscopic glasses. Why would you have the new ability to play the game if there's nothing left to do?

Has anyone seen the monolith with 3d glasses?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By Bocam

@renatop3: Yes, 3D glasses don't do shit. It's just a big black monolith.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#363  Edited By Green_Incarnate
    Geveeso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364  Edited By Geveeso

"@Disasterpeace Will the FEZ soundtrack release be coming with liner notes/a booklet?" "absolutely" https://twitter.com/Disasterpeace/status/192305220678717440 It may be brute forced by then, but I'm taking a mental breather on this puzzle until the soundtrack releases on 4/20.

mewstu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#365  Edited By mewstu

How do you stop the waterfall?

Sorry if already done.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#366  Edited By Bollard

@Robo said:

"Like This"

@Manhattan_Project: This is blowing my mind right now, but if I had to guess, I'd say that when you translated the alphabet initially you must have done it on it's side, and you've just been reading everything like that ever since.

Unlike the Tetris shapes for inputs, the alphabets are actually written in the world right side up, just from right to left and top to bottom like Japanese (and Arabic, I think).

I totally translated the alphabet like the tetris inputs too, but eventually realised it just read down not tilted to the right.

Also can I have a few hints with these please:

@renatop3 said:

Those are the places that still show the ? mark. It is also shown in the owl room (because i entered the secret room without finding all the owls), the black monolith room and the 64cube door room.

I'm sure that I got the cube from the second photo, but I don't think I've done anything in the others rooms I mentioned.

They're driving me crazy and I still can't do the damned owl room!

EDIT: GOT IT. Oh mah god, I was looking for

giant ass stone owls not teeny little ones
    theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#367  Edited By theodacourt

Has anyone tried looking into the Metatron Cube? The religious geometry thing? I looked but I don't really have a mind for seeing patterns there but if there's nothing in game to give you clues, then the themes of religion, geometry and the word metatron seem to match up pretty nicely?

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By Robo

@theodacourt: Some folks looked into that but the current line of thinking is that the hints from the owls regarding "The THIRTHEENTH[sic] circle. The 64-bit name of God." and "Hexahedron. Octahedron. Dodecahedron.* Her sacred geometry." lead directly to Metatron for the security question, but not towards anything else.

In my opinion, the other two quotes from the owls, "The many are one. The one is many." and "A point of origin. After and beyond." along with the last passage of the tome, "ALL OF TIME AND SPACE. AND THE SPACE OUTSIDE OF SPACE. WHERE DOES IT END?" are referring to the Monolith puzzle because they can be linked to the concept of infinity, and the shape on the burned treasure map and under the monolith is an infinite loop.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By Bollard

@Robo: Where can I find the full translation of the tome? I could do it myself but it took me long enough to translate the intro sequence (for not a lot more than a little humour) that I don't really wanna.

Also, about the NG++

The 3D glasses didn't line up with my face, is that meant to happen? Also, instead of rotating to explode the hexahedron, I used the flight cheat/easter egg, and it totally made the giant cube warp to my location, and I was inside it. It would follow me round as I walked. Lolwut
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By Robo

@Chavtheworld:

From out of nowhere. Impossible visitors. Our benefactors

Watching over us. In the hidden folds of space. In front of behind

Give the golden gift. A deep revelation. Our eyes wide open.

Shapes to tesselate. With sacred geometry. An empire to build.

A new perspective. Things unseen(s) but always there. A new direction.

The hexahedron. The sixty four bit name of God. The point of origin.

A pattern a code. A deep understanding. A gate to the stars.

All of time and space. And the space outside of space. Where does it end?.

@mewstu: I missed the question earlier.

Eventually you come across a place that shows you how to translate those strange Tetris-like markings. You unlock things using those codes. Near the crying waterfall (assuming that's the one in question) there's a block with one of those codes on it.

Not sure how vague you wanted that explanation to be, so I kept it pretty "hinty."

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By alexpiercey

Just spit balling here, does the shape of the world map signify anything?

hankrazorbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By hankrazorbeard

Is there a second anticube obtainable anywhere in the world? I was trying to figure out the solution for the throne room puzzle and got an anticube in the room before solving the puzzle.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By Bollard

@Robo: Thanks a lot!

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By Panpipe
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375  Edited By Robo

I gotta say, maybe it's the intellectual in me, but I really don't like the whole brute-forcing endeavor that's underway. It's completely missing the point. Simply stumbling onto the code by chance going through every possibility is dumb (hence: brute).

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By Panpipe

@Robo said:

I gotta say, maybe it's the intellectual in me, but I really don't like the whole brute-forcing endeavor that's underway. It's completely missing the point. Simply stumbling onto the code by chance going through every possibility is dumb (hence: brute).

I agree, it's really not the ideal solution, however, it has been stated that there is nothing in the game that hints towards the solution.

Given that fact, we either wait for Polytron to reveal the solution whenever they please, or the people fight back and work it out themselves.

Personally I think it's kinda fun. The idea of everyone collaborating to do something that individually would be almost impossible to achieve.

renatop3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By renatop3

@Panpipe said:

@Robo said:

I agree, it's really not the ideal solution, however, it has been stated that there is nothing in the game that hints towards the solution.

Nobody would try to force if the code was in the game. All Phil Fish has to do is twit "the answer to the black monolith is in the game", and people would be focusing their efforts searching for the code in the game. If it's not in the game, and there's no clue where it could be in the world, forcing the answer is probably the only way to find it - and maybe Fish wants people to do it, since he stated nothing until now.

joshrholloway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378  Edited By joshrholloway

Rats, I missed my last clock anti-cube by probably 15 minutes. I feel like this game is punishing me for having a steady 8-5 job...

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379  Edited By Robo

@Panpipe: In my stubbornness I kind of refuse to believe theres nothing in the game as a hint. But upon further thought, hell, I dunno. Maybe the soultion IS brute forcing it. That's be shitty but hey, It has people's wheels turning.

In other news, I got quite possibly the shittiest Transformer toy at Toys R Us because I needed a pair of 3D glasses and believe it or not that was the only place I could find any. I know it has nothing to do with solving anything, I just wanted to see how the 3D is.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By sjosz

I'm stuck, and as far as I know I'm not even stuck on anything super hard. Sitting at 32+30 cubes, with only secrets left in the observatory and in the big stone owl statue room where the head doesn't rotate with you.

I know that the constellation in the observatory is supposed to form a code, but no matter how often I try it in both directions and even upside down, nothing happens. (anyone able to give me their solution so I can see if mine is just flat-out wrong?) I already got the other one with the 2 red blinking lights. As for the owl statue that doesn't rotate its head along with you, I have no clue.

Could someone be so kind as to give me a hint or a possible solution to look into? I'm stumped and getting sad that I can't get into the 64 cube door.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By Panpipe

@Robo: I remember Fish tweeting before the game came out saying that he'd packed Fez with secrets that he hoped people wouldn't find for a long time. I'll see if I can find the exact tweet.

Just spent 20 minutes looking, for naught, couldn't find anything. It was entertaining how many controversies Phil has caused over the past few months though.

How does the game look in 3D by the way?

ScrappyDoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By ScrappyDoo

Can anyone give me a hint what I'm suppose to do in the room with a bunch of blocks laying around with a purple tombstone looking thing in the middle with various tetris shapes on it?

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383  Edited By Panpipe

@Sjosz:

Not sure what your problem with the observatory is. I can't find my solution at the moment, but it really was as simple as looking through the scope, writing down the constellations, turning the scope with the RT, then writing down those constellations, etc. Then run through your notes in a cycle til it pops.

I've forgotten the non-moving owl room, so I can't speak to that.
    theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#384  Edited By theodacourt

@ScrappyDoo: The tetris style shapes on the wall are all ways of folding a cube, but not all of them. That puzzle is buggy though and I got mine just because it kept breaking and then a cube popped out.

ScrappyDoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By ScrappyDoo

@theodacourt said:

@ScrappyDoo: The tetris style shapes on the wall are all ways of folding a cube, but not all of them. That puzzle is buggy though and I got mine just because it kept breaking and then a cube popped out.

So what, I need to arrange the blocks in a way that could be folded into a cube?

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By Robo

@Panpipe: It looks pretty good. I generally play on a monitor at my desk and it appears the convergence is set up for a larger viewing distance, but once you back up to that and get used to it it's fine.

It seems to be fairly subtle for the most part. Although that could be my glasses and having the lights on at the moment.

It would be great to see Fez with some kind of autostereoscopic 3D or even decent active shutter 3D on a nice TV. I realize that's asking a lot for a $10 XBLA game of course. It's awesome that they even included this.

@ScrappyDoo: More specifically, a way that isn't on the list.

mrplaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By mrplaid

@Sjosz: I'm in the same boat. My only remaining anti-cubes are the clock and that giant stone owl that doesn't move. I'd be happy with just a hint at this point. That owl is just sitting there... judging me.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By sjosz

@mrplaid:

So I figured it out. In NG+, use first person view ability to see on the floor around the stone owl. There are figures of 8 little people worshipping the owl, each with a single symbol above their heads.
    mrplaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By mrplaid
    Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Just gonna leave this here: http://fez-monolith.heroku.com/

Basically it gives you 10 possible button input codes to test for the monolith room, except instead of having to test each one individually, you input the first code completely then the last input of the other 9 since they all continue from the last code. If everybody contributes towards this, granted without people just abusing the giant red "No cube" button at the bottom to be jerks, then it could mean the monolith will be solved possibly by tomorrow.

I've already gone through about six sets of codes myself with no luck. :(

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#391  Edited By Fracture

Not sure if this means anything or not but I went to the moon stage (room you needed 32 cubes to enter then go tot he moon gravity area) and went down instead of going up. Then rotate the screen twice and there's a picture on the back of one of the lower areas. Looks like a bunch of concentric circles with 4.. umm something. above them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does any one have screenshots of what it says during the fake POST when the game starts up? It could have some weird stuff in it. Ill probably check it out later today. The designers are crazy enough to put a fake bios in this game or something.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By 1p
    @CosmicBatman I want to know this too. The scene in question is probably on YouTube, we could pull a screenshot form that.
    solorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#394  Edited By solorex

Yeah so I actually tried hooking a leyboard up and pressing the delete key... Nothing happened.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395  Edited By Bravestar

@Morbid_Coffee: ugh.. starting up my xbox right now...

edit:nevermind, site runs into a problem when I try to submit no red cube

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By alexpiercey

@SoloReX: That would've been amazing if that worked.

thellama042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By thellama042

@SoloReX said:

Yeah so I actually tried hooking a leyboard up and pressing the delete key... Nothing happened.

What about the "End" key? In reference to the final haiku in the tome that states something about 'when will it end?'

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By baconbutty

I'm looking for some help.

I got to the quick brown fox. I noted down my alphabet from it.

But I don't really know what to do next. I have yet to open the 32 cube door.

Do I just travel around with my new found ability to translate things in the world and this will get me enough cubes to open the 32 cube door?

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#399  Edited By Barrabas

@BaconBuTTy: It shouldn't be that hard to get 32 cubes. I did it without knowing the alphabet, number system, or the other big thing you have to learn. I hadn't traveled to one of the worlds connected to the warp gates at all when I finished the game the first time. I think you must be missing something kind of obvious.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400  Edited By baconbutty

@Barrabas: I guess there are just puzzles I haven't solved yet.

I just need to explore. I'm finding it a little difficult without any direction or anything, especially when not all the puzzles can be solved yet. But we'll see.

Out of interest -

At what point is the number and controller codes explained to you? Is it obvious once it happens? Can I miss it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.