Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alcoholic Beverages

Object » linked to 368 games

Beverages that cause the imbiber to become intoxicated.

Legalize Absinthe In The U.S?

• 65 results
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Diamond

Last thing we need in the US is more fuck-ups.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#52  Edited By AgentJ
    @MattyFTM said:
    " @Kohe321 said:

" Doesn't Absinthe kill a lot of braincells? I remember hearing this... "

No. That's not true. It's a common belief that alcohol kill brain cells. And Absinthe is extremely strong alcohol, so therefore it would kill more. But this is completely false. Alcohol does not kill brain cells. "
    Not unless you crash your car or fall on your head :P 

There are a lot of things that shouldn't be illegal in the states, but the religious right is unfortunately very, very loud. In another country, the worst of them could be called terrorists, or at the very least extremists. They've bombed abortion clinics, attacked and killed gays, and put unimaginable resources to work in keeping innocuous things like marijuana illegal. It's unlikely to change in the near future, but we can only hope that over time those extremists and their bloodlines die out
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Linkyshinks said:
    " @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " The alcoholic drink is banned, but wormwood and all the other herbs that is needed to make this drink is perfectly legal to buy. Solution, make it yourself. "
    I'm also big on the idea of creating your own alcohol, I happen to make my own wine in red wine fact, although I've never made any spirits of this sort before. I've been tempted to create some Potato moonshine before...

I would make sure you you get your quantities right, you could end up making people ill if your not careful. 
    "
    I cheat and use just sugar as the base for my moonshine, gives it a super clear texture that makes trying impart wormwood and other flavors that much easier.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Diamond: Fuck ups will fuck themselves up regardless of whether it's legal or not. Legalize stuff for the sensible folks who know when to quit. That's my motto.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " The alcoholic drink is banned, but wormwood and all the other herbs that is needed to make this drink is perfectly legal to buy. Solution, make it yourself. "
    I'm also big on the idea of creating your own alcohol, I happen to make my own wine in red wine fact, although I've never made any spirits of this sort before. I've been tempted to create some Potato moonshine before...

I would make sure you you get your quantities right, you could end up making people ill if your not careful. 
    "
    I cheat and use just sugar as the base for my moonshine, gives it a super clear texture that makes trying impart wormwood and other flavors that much easier. "
    That makes perfect sense, it would make any ingredient more soluble. I'll be adding a good source of THC to my still if I ever make it, I hear there's a chemical in wormwood (Thujone) that works really well with it. 
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By Gunner

Any form of alcohol in moderation is good. 

that is all.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ryanwho

Nothing about absinthe is appealing. If it were legal, people could stop being allured by it and try it once and realize it sucks and never go back. So legalize.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58  Edited By Gunner
    @ryanwho: 

My family used to make it during prohibition for a living, and some of them still do.

Obviously there is something about it that makes people come back to it.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Maybe I'm a prude, but I'm not supporting the legalization of any alcohol anywhere. I think the world would be a much better place without it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TeflonBilly said:
    "It's 70% alcohol. that's classified as a drug in my country. Czech absinthe is the only I've drank that was "real". English and Polish ones were bullshit.  Oh yeah, I prefer shotting it really.  Funny story, one time we were drinking the real deal and were gonna go out on town after the pre-party and my buddy decided to try to run me over with a bicycle, but I kicked him off it and he went crashing to the ground. Then we went down town where after half an hour or so he was bitching about his shoulder hurting. Us being the inconsiderate drunk assholes we are said he should probably drink more to forget it. Ina moment of clarity he went to an emergency ward (Which luckily was  few blocks away) and had dislocated his shoulder, they popped it back in, put it in a sling and then he bolted out of there to hook up with us to party more. He eventually paid the little processing fee when he sobered up a few days later.(Hooray for socialized medicine!)  Any way, in my experience Stroh 80 is a lot more lethal than proper absinthe "
    Haha. This is like a Kerouac story.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Europe for the Win! But seriously i had no idea it was illegal either. Is it basically the same as the stuff you guys call "Moonshine" or "boomshine" or whatnot?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By xyzygy

Here in Canada there are Absinthe ripoffs, called Absinte. It's basically just Absinthe with a little less alchohol. It's imported from France too.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#63  Edited By jakob187

You can import absinthe into the U.S. from some places, and there are also places that are actively distilling - legally - in the U.S. 

Either way, it was banned for a long time due to the high proof of it at bottling.  Basically, it's all due to the proof of the alcohol itself, which makes no sense to me anyways. 

Doesn't matter to me.  Tastes like shit.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By rallier

http://www.eabsinthe.com

Ships to the US and has some "if the package does not arrive we give you your money back" thing going on. Though the prices are rather expensive.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By wefwefasdf

Is it bad that I have never even heard of it? Sheesh. I thought I at least knew the names of names of most of this stuff. I guess I was wrong...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.