Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alcoholic Beverages

Object » linked to 368 games

Beverages that cause the imbiber to become intoxicated.

Legalize Absinthe In The U.S?

• 65 results
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I cannot believe that mon favori petit Fée Verte is still listed as an illegal alcoholic beverage in U.S, I find it crazy that it's ill deserved vilification in the early 1900s still resonates today. And in America of all places, a country which has embraced all other forms of Alcohol since the days of prohibition.  

In the world we live in today, we are perfectly able to test all manner of substances and make well informed decisions for public safely based on scientific fact. given that, I'm perpelexed as to why America continues to abide by the views of religious zealots from days of old, who claimed it to be the piss of the devil. It's thanks to that scum that I find myself watering sugar cubes right now. I bought a three bottles of the Czech Republic's finest and intended to send a single bottle into Giant Bomb's offices as a festive gift, mainly for Dave's use. But why should I even bother when some guy at US customs will likely confiscate the emerald liquor and dispose of it after he clocks off for the day.

Why does Absinthe continue to be illegal in the US, what are the U.S government so afraid of?.  When it was unbanned here the U.K in the early 90's we saw no surge of uptake among the young, which was as you can guess predicted by many "Christian groups". And this despite the infamous drinking culture we have here. I'm pretty sure this applies to every country in Europe where it's also perfectly legal. It's use here in the U.K is sensible, would it be different in the US?        

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Mehh, the stuff tastes like tar anyway... they ain't missing out on much.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Absinthe is illegal in the US? That's crazy. It's never been illegal in the UK, it just wasn't imported for a long long time before the 90's, but there was never a law against it.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By rallier

Is it actually illegal to have or just illegal to sell over there? 

Oddly enough the first thing I thought of when reading this thread was Kylie Minogue but then i remembered that she is Australian.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By EvilDingo

I'm not american here, so I guess I couldn't *Really* care either way, but as I understand it the dangers of it was exaggerated (if it even was justified at all in the first place).  
    However every time I've been presented with it, it does seem to only come in particularly large alcohol percentages (60%-80%), which I figure is bound get people stupidly drunk faster and more suddenly, than they would otherwise. 

... The combination of stupidly drunk people and a beverage that can be lit, does seem to give people the most ridiculous ideas :-) 

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By tebbit

Is it illegal anywhere OTHER than the US? Seems a kinda pointless thing to ban.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By EVO

You're not missing out on much. However, I've never tried "real" Absinthe I.E. the shit with wormwood in it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I do think it's a bit stupid that absinthe is illegal in the US. It's legal over here in the UK and even with our huge drinking problem, I live in one of the parts of England most obsessed with the whole drinking and clubbing culture and nobody ever drinks absinthe around here. If people want to get blind drunk they know they can get alcohol much cheaper and more widely available than absinthe.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PureRok

I read that it isn't illegal here anymore. At least, that's what Wikipedia said a few months ago.

Sorry, I'm actually having a morning after a night of tequila and beers. So... my throat hurts, my mouth tastes like vomit, and my bathroom is cold. I don't want to see absinthe, legal or not, right now.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilDingo

Just wanted to add a point of view here:  
    Something to consider generally when banning substances because they can be considered harmful, is that it may very well be a self-fulfilling action. 
    Mostly because leaving a product in the hands of the black market, you loose the ability to keep an oversight over the conditions in which the product is produced... Thus illigal products can be diluted with all sorts of "additives". 

Personally I don't quite believe this may be the case with Absinth, since it is produced legally under controlled conditions in a vast amount of countries. 
    Other than that I doubt the demand for that particularly type of alcohol, is big enough to foster any interest from the criminal underworld.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Scooper

I've had a swig of absynthe that was given to me as a prank when I was like 12. They said it was licorice flavoured water. The bastards!!!

Can't see why it's banned in the U.S though, in that case vodka should also be banned, it's half as strong but if you drink twice as much like you do anyway (no one has 1/3 absynthe 2/3 coke) then you still get just as shitfaced.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @creamypies said:

" Mehh, the stuff tastes like tar anyway... they ain't missing out on much. "

It doesn't taste like Tar, it's tastes a like liquorice, and if that tastes too strong it's probably because your not drinking it right, your supposed to drink it with sugar like so: 

@EVO said: 

" You're not missing out on much. However, I've never tried "real" Absinthe I.E. the shit with wormwood in it. "  

All Absinthe in Europe is real and contains wormwood, we don't sell a butchered version which has key ingredients removed like the one legalized US brand does. 

@Rallier said:

" Is it actually illegal to have or just illegal to sell over there?   Oddly enough the first thing I thought of when reading this thread was Kylie Minogue but then i remembered that she is Australian. "

It's perfectly legal to consume the beverage, but illegal to sell and import international brands within the US

@PureRok said:

" I read that it isn't illegal here anymore. At least, that's what Wikipedia said a few months ago.  Sorry, I'm actually having a morning after a night of tequila and beers. So... my throat hurts, my mouth tastes like vomit, and my bathroom is cold. I don't want to see absinthe, legal or not, right now. "

It turns out ^,  only one brand is available in the US legally, and it's made on home soil and has key ingredients removed.  

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Steve_C

I was under the impression that it was still illegal over here, never really looking into it. Turns out that i've been missing out. I don't think i've seen it around in shops though.

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally, you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world."
      ~Oscar Wilde

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

My wife got me a $200 bottle as a wedding gift. She had it imported from the Czech Republic. When she bought it she got an email from the company that makes it saying that they'll ship it in an unmarked box saying "GIFT" on it but if the US customs confiscated it then they are not responsible for it. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Steve_C said:
    " I was under the impression that it was still illegal over here, never really looking into it. Turns out that i've been missing out. I don't think i've seen it around in shops though. "

In rural parts of England there's probably little market for it, but any good off license will order it in for you if you ask.  Manchester and London have bars dedicated to it now.

It's a great party drink, there 's an element of drama which is good. It's also very strong :) 

It's a great way to preserve fungi also, the best imo. 
    Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had the Czech stuff, the real deal, in Prague.

It turned me weirdly paranoid. It probably didn't help that I was probably pretty tired from a week's drinking around Europe.

It's probably fine if you're in good nick and up for it, but it's pretty serious stuff. No kidding.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By VWGTI

Why do you care?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Mordukai said:
    " My wife got me a $200 bottle as a wedding gift. She had it imported from the Czech Republic. When she bought it she got an email from the company that makes it saying that they'll ship it in an unmarked box saying "GIFT" on it but if the US customs confiscated it then they are not responsible for it.  "

Makes sense... I'm considering all the options, including tasteless food dye.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

Everything should be legal in the US. Absinthe, Weed, Heroin... You can't really own your body unless you're allowed to fuck it up with whatever dangerous substances you want. (This is comming from someone who's never smoked a cigerette or joint in his life).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By mike

It should be illegal based solely on how terrible it tastes. I mean come on, any alcohol you're supposed to mix with water and sugar can't be good.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @DanceDanceKennypants said:
    " I've had the Czech stuff, the real deal, in Prague.  It turned me weirdly paranoid. It probably didn't help that I was probably pretty tired from a week's drinking around Europe.  It's probably fine if you're in good nick and up for it, but it's pretty serious stuff. No kidding. "

Your right, it's not going to help. I've been there myself.. I know that feeling well ^ ^. It's fantastic when you feel good, but if your nerves are frail after repeated boozing I can imagine it being a terrible experience, if you've been drinking it in copious amounts. 

I've come out of bars worrying that I've left my face behind :)
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Steve_C
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Steve_C said:
    " I was under the impression that it was still illegal over here, never really looking into it. Turns out that i've been missing out. I don't think i've seen it around in shops though. "
     In rural parts of England there's probably little market for it, but any good off license will order it in for you if you ask.  Manchester and London have bars dedicated to it now. It's a great party drink, there 's an element of drama which is good. It's also very strong :)    It's a great way to preserve fungi also, the best imo.  "
    Well I live pretty much on the border of north london, but have never seen it. I imagine a lot of supermarkets refuse to order in just based on how strong it is, illegal or not. It makes me think of all these underage chavs who could access to it. The kind who sit around with 2 litre bottles of white lighting and strongbow getiing pissed for the sake of it. Seems dangerous.

I might look into at some point though. There's an off-licence a few minutes away that I could check with. Could be fun for a party.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Steve_C said:

" @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Steve_C said:
     In rural parts of England there's probably little market for it, but any good off license will order it in for you if you ask.  Manchester and London have bars dedicated to it now. It's a great party drink, there 's an element of drama which is good. It's also very strong :)    It's a great way to preserve fungi also, the best imo.  "
    Well I live pretty much on the border of north london, but have never seen it. I imagine a lot of supermarkets refuse to order in just based on how strong it is, illegal or not. It makes me think of all these underage chavs who could access to it. The kind who sit around with 2 litre bottles of white lighting and strongbow getiing pissed for the sake of it. Seems dangerous.  I might look into at some point though. There's an off-licence a few minutes away that I could check with. Could be fun for a party. "

Thankfully the Chavs can't afford it, and even if they could. they would likely rather spend that kind of money on other drugs, or more bottles of Strongbow ... The bain of Britain 

@MB said:
    " It should be illegal based solely on how terrible it tastes. I mean come on, any alcohol you're supposed to mix with water and sugar can't be good. "

It happens to be one of the nicer tasting and smelling 70+ spirits out there, I can think of a lot worse as far as taste goes in liquors of that high proof.  Jamaican Red Rum for one, I think the smell alone can cause me to violently vomit. That's one rum I will never have fun with. 

You can substitute water for Laudanum for more taste and effect.  (legal in the US and the UK)
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By mike
    @Linkyshinks: The only way anyone is going to find Laudanum in the US is to get a prescription for it, and I've never even heard of anyone having any let alone knowing anyone who actually has a valid script. It's essentially heroin, strictly controlled, and has been made obsolete by more modern opiate painkillers such as oxycontin and dilaudid.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @MB said:

" @Linkyshinks: The only way anyone is going to find Laudanum in the US is to get a prescription for it, and I've never even heard of anyone having any let alone knowing anyone who actually has a valid script. It's essentially heroin, strictly controlled, and has been made obsolete by more modern opiate painkillers such as oxycontin and dilaudid. "

I can imagine it being replaced with more modern forms of pain relief in the US,   Here in the U.K though it's use is still prominent, mainly among the elderly. It's easily available via black market vendors. 
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kohe321

Doesn't Absinthe kill a lot of braincells? I remember hearing this...

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @MattyFTM said:
    " Absinthe is illegal in the US? That's crazy. It's never been illegal in the UK, it just wasn't imported for a long long time before the 90's, but there was never a law against it. "
    Yeah, I never knew that either. I love the stuff, great with sugar cubes.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Kohe321 said:

" Doesn't Absinthe kill a lot of braincells? I remember hearing this... "

No. That's not true. It's a common belief that alcohol kill brain cells. And Absinthe is extremely strong alcohol, so therefore it would kill more. But this is completely false. Alcohol does not kill brain cells.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31  Edited By Symphony
    @creamypies said:
    I kinda second this. It's legal here in Canada and some friends and I were like "wait wasn't this stuff banned for the longest time?", so we gave it a shot and were all pretty much underwhelmed. There were no crazy acid trips or people dying like the myths would have led us to believe :( Then again we didn't add sugar cubes... maybe that's the trick! But damn... how much experimenting did it take for them to come to the conclusion that what you need to do is light a sugar cube on fire and mix it into the drink to make it taste "right"? ><
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By bacongames

Absinthe is such a niche drink that when it comes to blanket efforts to criminalize substances after a while certain items remain illegal technically but it was such a low key thing that there's no good reason.  People just forgot to make it legal after the initial criminalization.

I could easily see the 19th amendment being used (abolition of prohibition) being the grounds for making absinthe legal.  I don't remember it being illegal as of late though.  I think it was a couple years ago where talks about absinthe sprang up again.  I'm not a drinker so I can't speak to the quality of the drink but if it's booze, I don't see why not.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Its illegal to import Absinthe here. You can make it yourself or buy american made Absinthe. The reason why they banned the importation of it was because a lot of what was being sold wasn't even alcohol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's 70% alcohol. that's classified as a drug in my country.
    Czech absinthe is the only I've drank that was "real". English and Polish ones were bullshit. 
    Oh yeah, I prefer shotting it really.

Funny story, one time we were drinking the real deal and were gonna go out on town after the pre-party and my buddy decided to try to run me over with a bicycle, but I kicked him off it and he went crashing to the ground. Then we went down town where after half an hour or so he was bitching about his shoulder hurting.
    Us being the inconsiderate drunk assholes we are said he should probably drink more to forget it. Ina moment of clarity he went to an emergency ward (Which luckily was  few blocks away) and had dislocated his shoulder, they popped it back in, put it in a sling and then he bolted out of there to hook up with us to party more. He eventually paid the little processing fee when he sobered up a few days later.(Hooray for socialized medicine!)

Any way, in my experience Stroh 80 is a lot more lethal than proper absinthe

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Metzo_Paino

In response to your video, you do not set fire to anything when preparing absinthe, that was created by the media and all it does is destroy the carefully blended flavour. 

Edit: Sorry, i made an assumption and didn't realise all it was showing was caramelising the sugar.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThomasP
    @EvilDingo said:

" ... The combination of stupidly drunk people and a beverage that can be lit, does seem to give people the most ridiculous ideas :-)  "

lol 

Yeah, it's legal in Canada. I used to know a buddy who home brewed it in his dorm room. Really fucked up shit. I got smashed once off the stuff and that was enough for me. Not a fan of the black licorice taste, either. Give me a beer or some scotch and I'll be just fine.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @Symphony said:
    " @creamypies said:
    I kinda second this. It's legal here in Canada and some friends and I were like "wait wasn't this stuff banned for the longest time?", so we gave it a shot and were all pretty much underwhelmed. There were no crazy acid trips or people dying like the myths would have led us to believe :( Then again we didn't add sugar cubes... maybe that's the trick! But damn... how much experimenting did it take for them to come to the conclusion that what you need to do is light a sugar cube on fire and mix it into the drink to make it taste "right"? >< "
    Well it would take a long damn time to make tar taste decent... so I guess the same rule applies here.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Andorski

That shit is like weed.  It's illegal in the US, but just as easy to get compared to other possibly abusive substances.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rallier

Reading through these comments totally sold me. As soon as I spot a bottle I'm getting one.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Phished0ne

Absinthe is cool if you into that, personally i dont like to have to go through some crazy old ritual to make it "taste right". I barely even drink mixed drinks at the bar because  i am too impatient to wait for the tender to mix me a White Russian. So why would i go through this long drawn out process to get drunk when i can go buy a case of red stripe/guinness/flying dog.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Symphony said: 

@creamypies said: 

I kinda second this. It's legal here in Canada and some friends and I were like "wait wasn't this stuff banned for the longest time?", so we gave it a shot and were all pretty much underwhelmed. There were no crazy acid trips or people dying like the myths would have led us to believe :( Then again we didn't add sugar cubes... maybe that's the trick! But damn... how much experimenting did it take for them to come to the conclusion that what you need to do is light a sugar cube on fire and mix it into the drink to make it taste "right"? >< "

You would have to drink copious amounts for those active ingredients to have any effect. A few drops of Laudanum instead of water on the sugar does quicken the process though, it seems to act like a trigger. 

@TeflonBilly said: 

" It's 70% alcohol. that's classified as a drug in my country. Czech absinthe is the only I've drank that was "real". English and Polish ones were bullshit.  Oh yeah, I prefer shotting it really.  Funny story, one time we were drinking the real deal and were gonna go out on town after the pre-party and my buddy decided to try to run me over with a bicycle, but I kicked him off it and he went crashing to the ground. Then we went down town where after half an hour or so he was bitching about his shoulder hurting. Us being the inconsiderate drunk assholes we are said he should probably drink more to forget it. Ina moment of clarity he went to an emergency ward (Which luckily was  few blocks away) and had dislocated his shoulder, they popped it back in, put it in a sling and then he bolted out of there to hook up with us to party more. He eventually paid the little processing fee when he sobered up a few days later.(Hooray for socialized medicine!)  Any way, in my experience Stroh 80 is a lot more lethal than proper absinthe "

Did the doctors bother administering Morphine for pain relief, or was he drunk enough not to need it?   I bet he felt really fucked up in the morning, he would have felt that shoulder for sure...I've been there.    
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iamjohn

Make it legal on the grounds that I want to try it. :(

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By maxszy

I drank it in Italy of all places, and I really liked it. Came back home to the States, went to a liquor store to find some and was told it was Illegal here in the U.S. Asking the clerk why got me no closer as to understanding why it is the case.

Its too bad really, but its some good stuff!

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @DanceDanceKennypants said:
    " I've had the Czech stuff, the real deal, in Prague.  It turned me weirdly paranoid. It probably didn't help that I was probably pretty tired from a week's drinking around Europe.  It's probably fine if you're in good nick and up for it, but it's pretty serious stuff. No kidding. "
    When I was stationed in Germany we were about 30 minutes from the Czech border. I've had the exact same stuff as you more time then I can remember. Different varieties of it too. Some with the wormwood, some without. I never had any hallucinations, but man that shit is potent. 2 shots and you've got a 12 pack buzz.  I like it, but the taste is not my favorite. 
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crunchUK
    @EvilDingo said:
    " I'm not american here, so I guess I couldn't *Really* care either way, but as I understand it the dangers of it was exaggerated (if it even was justified at all in the first place).  However every time I've been presented with it, it does seem to only come in particularly large alcohol percentages (60%-80%), which I figure is bound get people stupidly drunk faster and more suddenly, than they would ordinarily otherwise.  ... The combination of stupidly drunk people and a beverage that can be lit, does seem to give people the most ridiculous ideas :-)  "
    A bottle of vodka costs what, £10? I don't think the ease of getting drunk is a problem
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The alcoholic drink is banned, but wormwood and all the other herbs that is needed to make this drink is perfectly legal to buy. Solution, make it yourself.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ZmillA
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " The alcoholic drink is banned, but wormwood and all the other herbs that is needed to make this drink is perfectly legal to buy. Solution, make it yourself. "
    This
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By matthew
    @Linkyshinks: Hey...my friend made a trip a local liqour store here, and he walked out with a bottle of the stuff...and that was over a year ago.  I live in Reno, NV, so maybe it's just something to do with the state, but I was unaware of a ban on the stuff.  I'll specifically check on my next venture to the store, then let ya'll know whats going down.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " The alcoholic drink is banned, but wormwood and all the other herbs that is needed to make this drink is perfectly legal to buy. Solution, make it yourself. "
    I'm also big on the idea of creating your own alcohol, I happen to make my own wine in red wine fact, although I've never made any spirits of this sort before. I've been tempted to create some Potato moonshine before...

I would make sure you you get your quantities right, you could end up making people ill if your not careful. 

@Rallier said:
    " Reading through these comments totally sold me. As soon as I spot a bottle I'm getting one. "

I had my first taste of it in France (Paris) during the mid 90s.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By demonbear

I always wondered why Linkyshinks was so weird. Now i know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.