Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yoshi

Character » appears in 148 games

Yoshi is a recurring character in the Mario franchise and has since gone on to star in his own games.

Yoshi's Real Name Is...T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas?

• 159 results
    kdr_11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks more like it's supposed to be a biological name, just like the various names given to the coyote and road runner.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By coaxmetal
    Avatar image for theterriblefamiliar
    TheTerribleFamiliar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm betting Jeff likes Yoshi even less after these revelations.

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By scottp
    ironscimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You know what...Miles Prower aint that weird anymore...

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By oldenglishc

also, every time i read someone bitching about whether or not something qualifies as "serious news" for this apparently very serious video gaming site (?), i read yr comments in a lisping, petulant voice in my head. it's the voice i reserve for reading comments by annoying manchildren who take things too seriously.

No Caption Provided

You mean this guy's voice?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man, Jeff goes on vacation and everything goes fucking insane.

Right?! He's gonna be pissed when he comes back and sees this shitshow!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

You guys are all missing the larger issue here.

"Had been held captive in an egg..."

Since we know the only creature in the Mushroom Kingdom known to capture things inside of eggs would be a Yoshisaur, this means that one of the Yoshis is evil and has turned to Bowser's side in order to imprison all other Yoshis.

Since no game has addressed the evil Yoshi thus far, the only conclusion is that he/she's still out there, biding his/her time to be the main villain in a Mario game.

Otherwise it's Birdo, but Birdo shoots eggs out of his mouth as a projectile weapon. We never see Birdo turn someone into an egg.

Noli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Noli

It's game over man, game over... Yoshisaurus... Mario Castelari, Waluigi not being Wario's brother... come one people... and I hope in couple of days there will be note about Peach being mother to all those Toads... and Goombas

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Can tell you what, I really miss the classic Yoshi design.

hi_im_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In light of this news, I'm now with Jeff. Fuck Yoshi.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#163  Edited By clush

You sonofabitch!

After reading Alex's tweet I made it my life mission to never find out Yoshi's full name. Less than 2 hours since, I have failed because of the title of this article. Damn you to hell.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#164  Edited By ptys

@ptys said:

Surely these headlines can remain part of your personal blog Patrick, wouldn't say it classifies as news.

Have you ever watched a Giant Bomb video or listened to a Giant Bomb podcast? Yoshi is a pretty popular discussion/joke here.

My criticism was more about how the headline was focused on a personal opinion rather than the content of the article. Clearly I got it wrong as I've had a few replies similar to yours, so I'll shut up :)

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@ptys said:

@chicken008 said:
    @ptys said:

Surely these headlines can remain part of your personal blog Patrick, wouldn't say it classifies as news.

Have you ever watched a Giant Bomb video or listened to a Giant Bomb podcast? Yoshi is a pretty popular discussion/joke here.

My criticism was more about how the headline was focused on a personal opinion rather than the content of the article. Clearly I got it wrong as I've had a few replies similar to yours, so I'll shut up :)

I agree with you ptys. But I care only enough to write these two sentences.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

And people said Yoshi couldn't suck harder.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Homo Nintendonus?

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That name reads as a scientific classification to me more than as a name

Supa_Kappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick, Jeff's out of the office. POST YOSHI

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ptys said:

@chicken008 said:
    @ptys said:

I agree with you ptys. But I care only enough to write these two sentences.

Two sentences is better than dead silence... so thanks!

Plasticpals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

I've noticed over the past few months a lot of NeoGAF topics becoming Patrick news "stories". Might want to cut down on this kind of thing... at least when it comes to nonsense "articles" like this one, Patrick. Just sayin.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've noticed over the past few months a lot of NeoGAF topics becoming Patrick news "stories". Might want to cut down on this kind of thing... at least when it comes to nonsense "articles" like this one, Patrick. Just sayin.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#174  Edited By Brackynews
    @mormonwarrior said:

Sidenote: What in the world is the difference between yo-shi and yosh-i? Those sound identical to me and the argument is dumb.

Rules for Japanese pronunciation are not at all difficult, English speaking people just don't know how to interpret words that are romanised.

Yo and Shi are two phonetic characters. Part of the Japanese alphabet, so to speak. よし. The adopted kanji have several meanings:

From Japanese "good luck", "righteous", or "good". I have met grown men named Yoshi and this is what their name means.

"Yosh-" is an expressive term that simply means "all right!". You drop the ending vowel when speaking, but it would still be the Shi character when written out, because there is only one "sh" consonant character in the entire alphabet. Ultra-common words like "desu" are the same. You can omit the final vowel sound, but the character is always "Su", in the S column. (Some people are confused by the romanised character "Tsu", that's a problem of trying to understand a language through translations instead of native characters.)

Fundamentally, and I will murder any fool who disagrees with me (except maybe @pepsiman), the Japanese language does not depend on syllable emphasis and intonation the way that Chinese and western languages do. English has heteronyms (DESert - arid region, and desERT - to leave). Japanese is mainly homonyms. You can say YOshi and yoSHI and it's all the same if you don't mind sounding like a silly foreigner.

Emphasis and intonation in Japanese are emotive and expressive, and while there is absolutely such a thing as regional dialects and accents (like saying Ti instead of Chi), it doesn't change the meaning of words as long as both parties understand what is being said. Sometimes people will draw with their finger in mid-air if they are referring to a specific kanji meaning of a common word. All communication is context.

In Mandarin you can insult someone by dropping a syllable's tonal pitch instead of raising it. Hence a lot of confusion by how all Asian languages treat pronunciation.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Sega does what Homo nintendonus

DeltaDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By DeltaDreamer

Frankly the bigger shock here is Mario being called "Homonintendus" WHA?!!!

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: Wait...Comic Book Guy got married? Is Barney still off beer and addicted to coffee? Is Squeeky-Voiced teen a tech start up billionaire now? How have they developed Hans Moleman as a character in the past 10 years?

urban_ryoga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This just sounds like american insanity. Wasn't there a similar document for Sonic in the US?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By cspiffo

@mattyftm: Yosh-i makes no sense as the Japanese alphabet doesn't allow it. It very clearly allows for for Yo-Shi. It's two Japanese characters long. There is no Yosh or sh characters in Japanese.

Edit: LOL at this tangent!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.