Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 18, 2010

Yakuza 4 is the fourth game in Sega's crime drama series, known as 'Ryu ga Gotoku' in Japan. As a first for the series, the story is split between the viewpoints of four different protagonists.

Would you like to see a Yakuza 4 Endurance Run?

• 88 results
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By ThePickle
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Grissefar
    @Shirogane said:
    " As long as Ryan isn't in control. Oh man, he makes the worst decisions!     Yes ->No  Choosing to go back and do one of the longest, most boring and pointless substories.  Not getting into a fight in a game where the crux is beating guys up.  Not walking into a hostess club? "
    What the hell? I love those slow ass conversations, voiced or not. It makes me want to play the game, just like the Yakuza 3 QL did, but then I am reminded by the demo, of the shitty combat system.
    PolishHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By PolishHill

Would love this

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By shirogane
    @Grissefar said:
    "

@Shirogane said:
    "

As long as Ryan isn't in control. Oh man, he makes the worst decisions!     Yes ->No  Choosing to go back and do one of the longest, most boring and pointless substories.  Not getting into a fight in a game where the crux is beating guys up.  Not walking into a hostess club?

"
    What the hell? I love those slow ass conversations, voiced or not. It makes me want to play the game, just like the Yakuza 3 QL did, but then I am reminded by the demo, of the shitty combat system.

"

Oh well, you'll love the game then. That particular conversation with the Shiobara dude was one of the less interesting ones. 

Oh and the combat system is far more fun when you get Infinite Heat. Constant Heat actions is just....ya, evil.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Enigma777

No, first of all the GB crew can't even say the name of the game right. Second, the game is boring as hell. 

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Grissefar
    @Shirogane said:
    " @Grissefar said:
    "

@Shirogane said:
    "

As long as Ryan isn't in control. Oh man, he makes the worst decisions!     Yes ->No  Choosing to go back and do one of the longest, most boring and pointless substories.  Not getting into a fight in a game where the crux is beating guys up.  Not walking into a hostess club?

"

"
    Oh well, you'll love the game then. That particular conversation with the Shiobara dude was one of the less interesting ones.  Oh and the combat system is far more fun when you get Infinite Heat. Constant Heat actions is just....ya, evil. "
    Cool, maybe I should pick it up some time. At what point do you get infinite heat? Are there lots of side missions?
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By shirogane
    @Grissefar:
    Consider that, finishing the game on normal doing a few sidemissions, my competion rate was <8%, yeah, i think there's quite a few sidemissions. 

Infinite Heat you get after beating the game, and then completing the Ultimate Skill challenge mode, where you unlock an item you can equip for infinite heat. Luckily, Ultimate Skill Challenge isn't as hard as 3. Still, the combat in the demo was probably nowhere near what the combat becomes like in the harder parts of the game. You really do have to know what you're doing sometimes, though 3 had way harder fights. Hmm, actually, 2 was way harder than 3...i see a trend.
    trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By trebert

I would love to see it. There certainly is enough persona 4 esque silliness, not to mention the story is damn good. That said, what we want to see doesn't matter nearly as much as what they want to do(pretty much at all really). Combined with the crew having to want to get into another jrpg again, one must also consider that the game came to NA not that long ago. The game is not some shadowy cult hit that people are ignoring either.  I'm fairly sure Jeff said that they would not do an endurance run that could hurt a game. Maybe a year from now, when it would breathe new life into sales. I would certainly love to see it. Got the game a week ago and defiantly recommend it.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#59  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I think Yakuza 4 would be great for an ER, and I'm sad that they'll probably pass on it because they seem to have made up their mind to never do another Endurance Run again. I've played through Yakuza 4 already so it wouldn't bring me the same level of enjoyment the other ERs have, but I still think it would be great. Really any of the Yakuza games would make for great ERs, save maybe the first one.

Yakuza 1 has a pretty good plot, and being dubbed might help some people get into it, but it has clunky and frustrating combat that I wouldn't want them to have to put themselves through considering how adverse they are to the concept of another Endurance Run. 3 had some really awesome moments but overall the story isn't very good and has some major plotholes, and it wouldn't give us the chance to see the GB crew completely baffled by hostess clubs. It also starts out significantly slower than any of the other Yakuza games, but Persona 4 starts out with like five hours of hitting X to go through dialog boxes, and I don't think I need to explain why that's significant. Still, Yakuza 3 is probably the weakest game in the series. Yakuza 2 is my personal favorite game of the series because I think it has by far the best plot of the series, but 4 would be my second choice. 4 has the best combat in the series, the plot is decent enough, the whole four playable characters thing is really neat since everyone has their own style of combat, and they did a good job refining a lot of stuff that was clunky and unintuitive in previous games.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#60  Edited By ReyGitano

I'm sure as hell not going to play it, but I wouldn't mind seeing the crew give it a shot.

That being said I imagine they would want to be killing themselves the entire time, so no.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#61  Edited By Hailinel
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " I'm sure as hell not going to play it, but I wouldn't mind seeing the crew give it a shot.
    That being said I imagine they would want to be killing themselves the entire time, so no.
    "
    The Quick Look wasn't really representative of Yakuza 4 at all.  They didn't do enough running around to get into a fight.  Heck, if they had gone to the intended story point instead of back to the office for the opening leg of a side quest, they would have gotten into a brawl then and there.  There's also a shitload of variety to the game's activities as well, whether its gambling or parlor games, hanging out with ladies of varying professions, hitting baseballs, teaching dudes how to fight, looking for odd sights around town, or just looking for a brawl.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By mutha3
    @MooseyMcMan said:

" I don't think it's the right fit. It's not weird enough.  "

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

oh wait you're serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHA

OH GOD wow
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mutha3

yakuza is  a game series where you simultaneously punch two tigers in a golden tower filled with samurai

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

How you can think its good after seeing something like this? MANLY SINGING!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TechnoSyndrome
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By dagas

nah, I want to play Yakuza 4.

but I don't have a PS3. (which right now almost seems like a good thing...)
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mutha3
    @Taku128 said:

" @mutha3 said:

" yakuza is  a game series where you simultaneously punch two tigers in a golden tower filled with samurai "

This isn't a joke by the way.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4b8ztzKr3U&t=2m43s "
    YES LOOK AT THAT QTE EVEN INVOLVING WRESTLING A TIGER

FUCKING LOOK AT IT

HNNGNGNGGGUURRGGGJHHHHHH
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Hailinel said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:
    " I'm sure as hell not going to play it, but I wouldn't mind seeing the crew give it a shot.
    "
    The Quick Look wasn't really representative of Yakuza 4 at all.  They didn't do enough running around to get into a fight.  Heck, if they had gone to the intended story point instead of back to the office for the opening leg of a side quest, they would have gotten into a brawl then and there.  There's also a shitload of variety to the game's activities as well, whether its gambling or parlor games, hanging out with ladies of varying professions, hitting baseballs, teaching dudes how to fight, looking for odd sights around town, or just looking for a brawl. "
    I know what's in the game, I'm just never going to play it because I don't own a PS3 right now. I wouldn't mind cause I usually want to see every nook and cranny of a game, but I think Ryan and Jeff want stuff to be crazy most of the time. They got into some fights in the Yakuza 3 quicklook, and I think they've spent some time playing these games at home as well outside of the quicklooks if I remember correctly. I think they know what's in the Yakuza games, but there's no denying the fact that there's also a lot of stuff like in the quicklooks they've done. Considering the way that they play their video games and what they enjoy about them, I understand why they wouldn't want to play through all of it endurance run style.
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TechnoSyndrome
    @SlashseveN303 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @SlashseveN303 said:

" I'm sure as hell not going to play it, but I wouldn't mind seeing the crew give it a shot. That being said I imagine they would want to be killing themselves the entire time, so no.
    "

The Quick Look wasn't really representative of Yakuza 4 at all.  They didn't do enough running around to get into a fight.  Heck, if they had gone to the intended story point instead of back to the office for the opening leg of a side quest, they would have gotten into a brawl then and there.  There's also a shitload of variety to the game's activities as well, whether its gambling or parlor games, hanging out with ladies of varying professions, hitting baseballs, teaching dudes how to fight, looking for odd sights around town, or just looking for a brawl. "
    I know what's in the game, I'm just never going to play it because I don't own a PS3 right now. I wouldn't mind cause I usually want to see every nook and cranny of a game, but I think Ryan and Jeff want stuff to be crazy most of the time. They got into some fights in the Yakuza 3 quicklook, and I think they've spent some time playing these games at home as well outside of the quicklooks if I remember correctly. I think they know what's in the Yakuza games, but there's no denying the fact that there's also a lot of stuff like in the quicklooks they've done. Considering the way that they play their video games and what they enjoy about them, I understand why they wouldn't want to play through all of it endurance run style. "
    The majority of Persona 4 was either dungeon crawling or hitting X to go through text boxes. The amount of crazy stuff in Persona 4 was small when compared to the boring repetitive stuff, and yet Jeff and Vinny loved the game and those are probably the most popular series of videos on the site. Yakuza 4 would actually have less of that, as the game only reaches Persona length if you do every side-mission, "beat" every mini-game, collect everything, do all of the challenges, etc.

Also, Ryan seemed very interested in the game, and Jeff actually expressed interest on his formspring in playing Yakuza 4, but said he didn't have the time to, which is the exact reason the Persona 4 Endurance Run was created.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @mutha3 said:
    " yakuza is  a game series where you simultaneously punch two tigers in a golden tower filled with samurai "
    That does not sound as weird as Deadly Premonition or Persona 4. 
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By Skytylz

Why are people still making these threads!? It's not helping us get another ER!  It's unfortunate however that no ER will ever live up to the first <3

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By zombie2011

NO, i don't want anymore ER's.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By mutha3
    @MooseyMcMan said:

" @mutha3 said:

That does not sound as weird as Deadly Premonition or Persona 4.  "
    watch that yakuza 2 video where i told you to go to 1:58

and i'm sorry but suplexing a tiger is pretty high on my "holyshitthisisridiculous" list
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Taku128: I felt like they enjoyed those things about Persona 4, even to the point were Jeff was considering playing through the game again on his own even though he didn't have the time. I don't know what it is about the tedious things in Yakuza that they don't like compared to Persona, but I can't imagine them playing through it. I don't think it's a length issue either since they knew Persona was going to be a long haul, in fact I think that's what they expect with the name of "endurance run". Maybe it's just the characters and kookiness of Persona 4 that kept them going, they certainly seem fond of those characters and set pieces. I feel like the only time I saw that in the Yakuza series was in the Yukaza 3 Quicklook when Ryan choose "she screamed really loud" as the reason why that girl was able to beat up that dude, and unfortunately he was not rewarded for it.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mutha3
    @Taku128 said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:

The majority of Persona 4 was either dungeon crawling or hitting X to go through text boxes. The amount of crazy stuff in Persona 4 was small when compared to the boring repetitive stuff,
    The dungeon crawling in Persona 4 is a lot more fun than the combat system in Yakuza.

I say this as a fan of the series. And only the first 3 hours of P4 are hit x the game.....the first 10 or so hours of Yak 3 are "orphan watcher 2010"
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MooseyMcMan

When I said Yakuza 4 wasn't weird enough, I meant supernatural weird. 

Oh, and @mutha3, showing examples from a past Yakuza game doesn't really show that Yakuza 4 is weird. 
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By InfiniteGeass

No thanks. I rather Giant Bomb choose their next ER game if they even decide to do another ER. It's either another ER or more quick looks and I think I'd rather have more quick looks.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mutha3
    @MooseyMcMan said:

"

Oh, and @mutha3, showing examples from a past Yakuza game doesn't really show that Yakuza 4 is weird. 
    "
    I haven't finished 4 yet, though. So I can't really show too much.

But I see no reason that after 5 games they'd suddenly shift gears with the silliness. Here you go:
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9Yd9Y8kbo 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @mutha3 said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:

"

"
    I haven't finished 4 yet, though. So I can't really show too much. But I see no reason that after 5 games they'd suddenly shift gears with the silliness. Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9Yd9Y8kbo  "
    I REFUSE TO WATCH THAT! Because I haven't actually even finished Yakuza 3 yet, so...
    UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By UncleClassy
    @Rattle618:  Well said, sir!
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mutha3
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:

"

"
    I haven't finished 4 yet, though. So I can't really show too much. But I see no reason that after 5 games they'd suddenly shift gears with the silliness. Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9Yd9Y8kbo  "
    I REFUSE TO WATCH THAT! Because I haven't actually even finished Yakuza 3 yet, so... "
    Save the madness for yourself, then.

I will tell you this:

it is glorious.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @mutha3: I'm quite sure it is. And to be honest, the real reason why I opposed a Yakuza 4 ER (aside from the fact that I'm unsure as to how much they'd enjoy it in the long run) was that I didn't want to have a situation like last year where I couldn't watch the ER until after I had finished the game. In retrospect, I think any ER would be nice at this point (though this whole thread is meaningless, because blah blah, they don't listen to our requests, blah blah), but oh well. 
    SpiritGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By SpiritGoat

No the non-vocalized text noise almost broke me down also they wouldn't really have fun

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

As much as I hate the constant clamouring for a new Endurance Run, I don't even think Yakuza 4 would work. I love the series, but the wealth of optional stuff always seems to be trying to divert you from the main storyline. Even with all the little refinements that have gradually occurred, the pacing can still be off at times, weird stuff like most of the side-quest tutorials being mandatory springs to mind.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#85  Edited By mrfluke

so the chrono trigger endurance run happened and that had zero speech and the story was pure text ( and they didnt rift that much when they were playing, so that game got by by nostalgia and the music, not dissing the game, the game is legendary, but as a er this is how it gets by imo)

with the way how everyone loved the fight against lavos, the gb crew would really love the final act of that game

its so delightfully insane

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By CounterShock

I'm usually an opponent of ER recommendations, but Yakuza 4 would totally work and I would watch it.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By yakov456

@CounterShock said:

I'm usually an opponent of ER recommendations, but Yakuza 4 would totally work and I would watch it.

Have to agree. This game is so diverse and wacky that it's begging to be played.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mrfluke
    No Caption Provided

im just going to leave this here and walk away

(not the greatest with photoshop, but some did come out better than others)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.