Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox

Object » linked to 9 games

This page is for the Xbox as it appears in video games.

Any essentials?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ZenaxPure

So I will be honest, I never actually owned a xbox last gen of gaming. This was mostly because there were few games at the time I was actually interested in owning (like I could count them all on one hand). But now with a 360 I have access to pretty much all those and on top of that a lot of xbox games seem to be super cheap for some reason (I got Halo for $3, Halo 2 collectors edition for $8, and Guilty Gear XX #Reload for $3 as examples).

So what good exclusives do I need to buy? I am open to every genre save sports so I am sure there had to be something the xbox offered that I could not find elsewhere. Only things I can think of off the top of my head is the KOTOR series.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

Jade Empire?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure
    EvilTwin said:
    "Jade Empire?"
    I have no idea, that is why I asked! >_>
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilTwin

I don't really know what you're into.  I was just suggesting it because you listed KotOR, Bioware's other Xbox RPG. 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZenaxPure
    EvilTwin said:
    "I don't really know what you're into.  I was just suggesting it because you listed KotOR, Bioware's other Xbox RPG. "
    Well like I said in my original post, I play anything that is not a sports game (unless it is super whacky like some of the Mario stuff). Also looks like Jade Empire is another one of those games I can get for $3, so may as well I guess - can't go wrong for that cheap I suppose.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin

Add Ninja Gaiden Black and Fable:  The Lost Chapters to the list.  Unfortunately, a few great games aren't BC and probably never will be now.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

KOTOR 1/2
    Jade Empire
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Ninja Gaiden Black
    Stubbs the Zombie
    Splinter Cell series
    JSRF: Jet Set Radio Future
    Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

...there are more, but those should keep you busy. All the ones I listed are BC on the 360 as well.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

I can't stress this enough...if you can only pick up one Xbox game (only one) get KOTOR. That is one of the best games I've ever played.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZenaxPure
    Kush said:
    "I can't stress this enough...if you can only pick up one Xbox game (only one) get KOTOR. That is one of the best games I've ever played."
    KOTOR has always interested me (one of the few xbox games that did) so I am sure it will be one of the first I pick up.
    roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By roushimsx

Quick List #2:

The asterisks denote Xbox-exclusive titles. Both Far Cry games were bundled into a single package for the 360, though I haven't played it. Others, such as Enclave and Doom 3 are Xbox-exclusive for the console release, but have PC versions available. Fatal Frame II: Director's Cut is an upgraded and Xbox-specific enhanced version of the PS2 game. Beyond that, the cross platform versions of games were almost always better on Xbox (with few exceptions).

I'm just going down my shelves one by one and picking out games that I'd recommend here. There's obviously going to be gaping holes of games I've ever not played (Destroy all Humans, Fable, Full Spectrum Warrior) or games that everyone gushes about but that I didn't find particularly noteworthy (Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood, Burnout: Revenge, Halo 2).

If you want a fun list of cult titles for the system, check out Eurogamer's list that they did a few years back. I used it as a helpful guide to picking up some games I might have otherwise overlooked and it did wonders for fleshing out my collection. Hell, it introduced me to Kung Fu Chaos, which is just a fucking awesome party game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

People on these forums, from my experience, have a general inclination to bash the Halo games, but I totally think the original Halo is one of the greatest shooters ever.  I'd toss that your way. 

Doom 3 is a good, if linear, pick.  Kotor is great, but if you want to go extreme with the "I-Can-Do-Whatever-I-Want" kind of RPG, I'd suggest Morrowind, though it runs at a Power Point-worthy 25 frames a second, sometimes.  I guarantee, Morrowind will keep you occupied for weeks. 

If you're into comics, the X-Men Legends games are good beat-'em ups.  I'd avoid Marvel: Ultimate Alliance on the Xbox, however.  (If you're willing, Ultimate Alliance is a stellar 360 title.) 

If you're into racing, I would personally direct you away from Forza--the popular choice--and toward Project Gotham Racing 2.  My favorite racing game ever.  Brilliant (and newly backward compatible!). 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZenaxPure

Quite a few of those interest me quite a bit, more so now than they would of 5 years ago. I can't wait to buy myself a TV finally and then blow cash on some of those xbox games.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By roushimsx
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "People on these forums, from my experience, have a general inclination to bash the Halo games, but I totally think the original Halo is one of the greatest shooters ever.  I'd toss that your way.  "
    I didn't find Halo to be terribly great, though in fairness I played through the PC version and not the Xbox one. I understand that the Xbox version is supposed to be much better, but I've never felt inclined to replay through it. Considering it's a "Best of Platinum Hits" title (at most $10/new from pretty much anyplace not named Gamestop), it's a pretty safe buy.

Halo 2, on the other hand, is a terrible single player game littered with awful mission designs and weak level designs throughout. There's a couple of key moments that stand out and make you think, "holy fuck, that was awesome!", but they're scattered far enough apart and seperated by large chunks of drivel. Assaulting a scarab tank and fighting on a falling satellite rocked so damn hard. It's a shame that you have to put up with such mundane gameplay just to get to those little key moments. Disregard everything I said if you plan on strictly playing multiplayer; as long as you can put up with the community, the MP of Halo 2 is just peachy.

When Doom 3 first came out, I was really disappointed in it. It didn't feel like how I felt Doom should feel and I never really made it that far into it. About two years ago I gave it another shot and enjoyed it a good bit. Oh sure, the first half of the game suffers from monster closets (a sin in today's first person shooters!) and the inability to use a flashlight on your gun is an obnoxious limitation, but midway through the game the title goes from "ehh" to "Yea!" and doesn't look back.

Really, after playing it this last time, the thing that irked me the most was the lack of subtitles for the audio logs (don't copy System Shock 2 unless you plan on going all the way!). Thankfully, a small mod team on PC took the liberty of fixing that for the PC release, but it's a shame that it couldn't be patched into the console version.

Moving down to the next shelf for Quick List #3:

Knights of the Old Republic is awesome as hell, but I've never played the Xbox version (only the PC). I understand that the sequel feels unfinished and feels disappointing, but there's a mod that's nearly complete for the PC version that seeks to integrate all of the deleted content. Can't wait to finally play it.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZenaxPure

I already have Halo and Halo 2 actually (picked those up pretty quick) and I have to agree completely. Halo 1 was awesome I enjoyed that game quite a bit, especially the final mission. Halo 2 on the other hand... I just had no idea what the hell was going on half the time. I gave up following the story when a tentacle monster grabbed me. As for the missions, some of them I liked but overall it just made me wanna go through Halo 1 again.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Zenaxzd said:
    "EvilTwin said:
    "Jade Empire?"
    I have no idea, that is why I asked! >_>"

I'm one of the biggest KOTOR fans out there and I played Mass Effect to death. But as much of a fan as I am of Bioware, I am not a fan of Jade Empire. I suggest giving that one a pass.

The only Xbox essentials (in my opinion) are Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords, and Halo: Combat Evolved.

2c

Edit: Ack! How did I forget The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind/Bloodmoon/Tribunal?! I'm a fool. <---Essential
    logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By logson

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.