Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox

Platform »

Microsoft's first home gaming system and one of the first to include an internal hard drive and built in online play capability. It was considered the first console to have fully supported meaningful online play.

Must have original Xbox games? (Besides the obvious ones)

• 72 results
    JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@savagemanlove: I remember 1 system update, but I don't remember game updates. Some games had online content but it's mostly for online gaming. Even if there were system/game updates I don't know if those are still available.

Gotcha, guess I won't worry about it then. I finally got my HD cable and Dark Alliance game. Time to start playing that and probably some Crimson Skies after and from there on move to some other stuff. Thanks for the help yall.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Mercenaries.

Can't believe no one has mentioned it yet.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savagemanlove: Dark Alliance is loads of fun, specially if you do offline co-op. Enjoy! I had great times with that game!

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

This, assuming you didn't already play it on Dreamcast. (UK got Shenmue II on Dreamcast, and a few import copies made their way to the U.S.)

Also the previously-mentioned JSRF and Crimson Skies.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By hassun

A large amount of good Xbox games are multiplatform titles which looked/ran a little better on Xbox or had added features compared to the PS2. (Burnout 3, Black, Mercenaries, SSX, the Warriors, etc.) The question is if you want to include these games in your list. Some of them received or have since received (PC) (re)releases as well so you can probably safely subtract them from a list of must-have Xbox games.

That leaves the exclusive Xbox games. (It's worth noting that this console has proven to be an extremely difficult system to emulate so those games will likely remain locked up on that platform for the foreseeable future.)

Use this as a basis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games (Click on the little arrow next to "Exclus." until the green "Yes" games appear first.)
    As you can see that list isn't terribly long.

If there is one game that was also released on PS2 that I would recommend you get for Xbox which hasn't been mentioned yet it would be the fantastic Tenchu: Return from Darkness.

P.S.

It pains me to see Dino Crisis 3 on a list of Must Have Xbox Games. Even if it's an exclusive and a bit of a curiosity.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Hands down, the best Star Wars game ever made.

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DT9k

There are several on this list I'd recommend skipping. Advent Rising is shit. Brute Force is shit.

My personal pick for a must have (and criminally slept-on) Xbox game would be Deathrow. Riddick is every bit as good as people would lead you to believe. At the time, it was a technical marvel as well as a paradigm shift towards what we now know as the modern shooter aesthetic.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#59  Edited By Driadon

A fire I don't see on here that I'd also suggest: Rainbox Six 3, Ghost Recon, Timesplitters 2, Genma Onimusha, The Simpsons: Hit and Run, Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee, Dead or Alive 3, SoulCalibur 2, Hitman 2, and Spiderman 2

Edit: If you're a simulation fan at all, if you can track down a copy of Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, you will not be disappointing. Same goes with RTS and Aliens vs Predator: Extinction.

Edit 2: AHHHHH! I keep remembering more: Mortal Kombat Armageddon was incredible. It had a massive amount of content in it and played really well. The Thing and Silent Hill 2 & 4 are some more great horror. Black was an over-the-top shooter that played really well at the time. Stubbs The Zombie was a fun take on sort of free-roaming action and puzzle solving. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction was all the red neck destruction derby dumb fun it could be; also it had chicken cannons. Hunter the Reckoning was more top-down action RPG. No loot, but it was still a lot of fun. Return to Castle Wolfenstien! Phantasy Star Online 1&2 (still works fine splitscreen, and I think it did system link?)

Man, what a great console for only really being supported for 3-4 years.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mozzle: I would say Jedi Knight 2 is easily better than Jedi Knight 3. They are also both totally games people should get on PC instead of on consoles.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phantom Dust

Unreal Championship 2

Bloody Roar Extreme (you can transform into sick animals & its a 3d fighter. NUFF SAID)

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Philipgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

It pains me to see Dino Crisis 3 on a list of Must Have Xbox Games. Even if it's an exclusive and a bit of a curiosity.

Keep in mind, it was just a list of stuff I have in my Wish List not necessarily me recommending for other people. :) Was Dino Crisis 3 that bad? I loved the first one on PS1 (never finished it but still).

Either way, I'm enjoying my time with Dark Alliance. Kind of tempted to just order the second one and maybe pick up Champions of Norrath 1 and 2 on the PS2 while I'm at it. Also thinking about Fallout BOS. I knew that game was not great but I love Fallout games :(

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savagemanlove: DC1 is an OK RE-like survival horror game. DC2 is a special game though. It's like a proto-RE4. Great game.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By EthanML

If you like racing at all, Project Gotham Racing 2 is still one of the most well made and generally fun driving games ever as I remember it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half-Life 2. From a completely, "Wow, they managed it." perspective.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By penguindust

I really enjoyed MetalArms: A Glitch in the System. It was a very competent Ratchet and Clank inspired action platformer on a console desperately in need of some.

Other stand outs were Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Conker Live & Reloaded, Rallysport Challenge 2, Project Gotham Racing, Burnout 3 Takedown, Rainbow 6 Raven Shield, Darkwatch, Dead to Rights, Hunter The Reckoning, Midtown Madness 3, Splashdown and Outlaw Golf.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By dadjumper

Ctrl+F Outrun

Outrun 2 SP. It's real good.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't help myself, I went to a retro game store here in Colorado and bought the following:

Pariah, Second Sight, Project Snowblind, Bards Tale, Dark Alliance 2, Crimson Sea, Brute Force, Advent Rising, RLH (Run Like Hell).

They had pretty good deals on most and was cheaper than trying to buy all of those through Amazon.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#71  Edited By Jeust

If you like horror, there is the good port of Silent Hill 2, called Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Forza Motorsport 1. Project Gotham Racing 1&2. Munch's Odyssey.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.