Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility

Concept »

Xbox 360 and original Xbox games that have been approved to run on the Xbox One's backwards compatibility feature.

What's your experience been with XB1 BC?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Seems the quality varies pretty drastically across different games. Fallout 3 for example is said to be brilliant and even makes for a marked improvement over its 360 release. Gears of War 3 however, AKA the one game I was most excited to jump back into, is atrocious. The campaign is fine, if still not ideal, but Horde mode can sometimes get to be outright unplayable. When nothing serious is happening on screen it still doesn't feel like it's at 30, but as soon as the boomers & grinders start doing their thing it really begins to chug - drops to what feels like sub-10fps. It's been awhile since I've played the 360 version, however, but I'd like to think I'd have remembered if the framerate was this dire, especially for how much time I put into Horde overall.

I can't speak to any other games as Gears 3 is the only one I've tried. Though that's because it's one of a very few games I'm interested in, so I really hope they'll be able to iron out the framerate issues in the near future.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I played some Doom (1/2) and Dirt 3. I had no issues outside of the usual multiplayer lag in Dirt.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I've actually been running tests between the 360 and the Xbox One. I find that most Gears games run sub-optimally with either framerate issues or input lag (or both). I want to put up a blog post detailing my findings on each game, but I'm not sure if you can still link your posts to the forums or if I'd have to copy/paste it. I've also tried running a single race of Dirt 3 and the framerate got so bad at one point, I slammed into a rock when I had clearly been doing very well for the majority of the race. Surprisingly, before the drops, the game was running supremely well. The inputs felt instant.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm bummed to hear the Gears games run poorly. I was looking forward to playing through them with my brother.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

It has been fine, but I have only played a few games.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Cause 2 is fucked when action starts happening, with framerates going sub-20. I haven't played anything else yet and can't recall if these issues occurred on the 360.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My experience with it has been with the Rare Replay pack primarily, where XBLA stuff seems to run fine but full titles kinda... chunk up, sometimes. Nuts & Bolts was particularly chunky, which is a pity. I don't know if Kameo always ran like crud, but it kinda does here. Hopefully this kind of stuff can be fixed, or else it's gonna be kind of a bummer going forward.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pretty fucking bummed to hear about Gears 3 being bad. Wonder how Gears 2 is but they better patch that shit because Gears 3 ran flawlessly at 30 on 360.

Was so looking forward to playing Gears 3 when I got back to the states next week

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad said:

I've actually been running tests between the 360 and the Xbox One. I find that most Gears games run sub-optimally with either framerate issues or input lag (or both). I want to put up a blog post detailing my findings on each game, but I'm not sure if you can still link your posts to the forums or if I'd have to copy/paste it. I've also tried running a single race of Dirt 3 and the framerate got so bad at one point, I slammed into a rock when I had clearly been doing very well for the majority of the race. Surprisingly, before the drops, the game was running supremely well. The inputs felt instant.

You can still link blogs to the forums, yes. And I'll be interested in reading your findings!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be interested in reading more about this, looks like people have all sort of experiences with it so far. Or I would watch a quick look! They made one for new versions of 360 dashboard and even Windows, so I guess it's not purely wishful thinking!

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@yummylee said:

Seems the quality varies pretty drastically across different games. Fallout 3 for example is said to be brilliant and even makes for a marked improvement over its 360 release. Gears of War 3 however, AKA the one game I was most excited to jump back into, is atrocious. The campaign is fine, if still not ideal, but Horde mode can sometimes get to be outright unplayable. When nothing serious is happening on screen it still doesn't feel like it's at 30, but as soon as the boomers & grinders start doing their thing it really begins to chug - drops to what feels like sub-10fps. It's been awhile since I've played the 360 version, however, but I'd like to think I'd have remembered if the framerate was this dire, especially for how much time I put into Horde overall.

I can't speak to any other games as Gears 3 is the only one I've tried. Though that's because it's one of a very few games I'm interested in, so I really hope they'll be able to iron out the framerate issues in the near future.

I've been playing a lot of Horde more too and I can't tell if it's BC being garbage or if the host connection is terrible. It's such a hard game to judge. I remember the online being really dodgy in that game to begin with. The first horde match I played seemed fine. Kind of weird to play Gears with a controller than wasn't the 360 controller, so it felt a little swimming with the looser X1 sticks, but the game was responsive and seemed precise. The 2nd match I played was unplayable and every left, so I'm guessing it was a host issue. I have noticed it can get pretty framey when there's lots of action, which I don't remember the original doing.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gears not running well is really disappointing to hear. If I ever got an Xbox One again those are the games I'd want to replay the most. I hope they can fix it somehow.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've, unfortunately, had a negative experience so far. Banjo Kazooie N & B stutters and stalls to 0 fps every 30 seconds and Kameo's sound effects do not work a few minutes into the game's intro area.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@sku said:

My experience with it has been with the Rare Replay pack primarily, where XBLA stuff seems to run fine but full titles kinda... chunk up, sometimes. Nuts & Bolts was particularly chunky, which is a pity. I don't know if Kameo always ran like crud, but it kinda does here. Hopefully this kind of stuff can be fixed, or else it's gonna be kind of a bummer going forward.

Nuts and Bolts was AWFUL prepatch, it is "playable" now but far from perfect, I am just glad that Viva Pinata plays pretty much perfectly now.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i haven't tried it out since it was first rolled out for the preview program, but mass effect totally ran like shit

it's a shame that there still seems to be those issues

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to trying the Gears games come December. I haven't tried Dirt 3 yet.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only played games that aren't too taxing on the hardware (Banjo Kazooie, Super Meat Boy, Heavy Weapon.) They've all run fine as far as I can tell.

Heavy Weapon stopped working on my 360 for some reason so it's kind of nice to be able to play it again, but then again it is Heavy Weapon so it's not THAT nice. I really liked it when it came out, but that was back when XBLA games were restricted to like 50mb downloads and so were all pretty simple. Shadow Complex changed all that.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually really surprised to hear the bad reports. And a little bummed. I don't have an X1 yet, but I'd like to get one eventually, and this seemed like a cool feature. Hopefully, they eventually get it sorted out.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried out Shadow Complex tonight, get sub-20s (I think?) in big areas with firefights. Can't remember if that was on 360, but it doesn't stop the game from still being damn good!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty fucking bummed to hear about Gears 3 being bad. Wonder how Gears 2 is but they better patch that shit because Gears 3 ran flawlessly at 30 on 360.

Was so looking forward to playing Gears 3 when I got back to the states next week

Gears 2 is just as bad, least in Horde mode. Doesn't take much happening for the framerate to start dropping with plenty of input lag to boot. Judgment isn't stellar either. The original Gears seems to play fine, for what little that's worth... You'd think of all games one of their top selling first-party franchises would work well. I wonder if this is why they delayed the gifting of the Gears game for buying Gears UE to 1st December.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I played Shadow Complex for about an hour and it ran fine, it dropped frames when there was lots of fighting on screen but that happened in the original as I recall.

Gears of War 2 has some input lag and kind of runs like shit. I played some horde on a very non-graphic intensive map and I still had serious input latency issues.

Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise runs and looks pretty good. I played it for about 20 minutes and had no real complaints.

Nuts and Bolts (Rare Replay version) chugs occasionally especially in the town but it's certainly playable.

Borderlands 1 has some poor frame rate issues, but so did the original game, so I checked the 360 version quickly to see if the frame rate issues were in the same places and they were not. It's just bad frame rate. It also had some slight input lag. That said,the loading screens seemed much better.

I still have some arcade games to try but so far it's hit or miss.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Sonic CD on it and damn is it ever nice to use the One D-Pad instead of the 360 one. Let's hope King of Fighters XIII and Skullgirls get added to the BC list soon.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I played Doom on it and didn't have any problems with that.

Also I can now play Doom on yet another electronic device! Awesome!

I want to play Shadow Complex on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dirt 3 will stutter for like half a second sometimes, which is enough to cause me to crash my car if it happens on a turn. I'm not sure how the X360 version ran, however.

dewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, when did they patch up Nuts and Bolts? Right when Rare Replay came out, I fired it up and was really disappointed with the frame rate and it also seemed like some of the physics and handling suffered as well. I'd love to go back to it if it's better now.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Every game I tried on it ran pretty poorly so I'm not a big fan of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.