Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 13, 2014

Allowing players to enter the past and tread the world of Draenor before its destruction, the fifth World of Warcraft expansion brings a level cap increase to level 100, a new world, and another graphics engine overhaul.

What class should I boost to 90?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

To get me to play WoW my unusually generous brother is buying WoD and a 3 month card for me, I've previously played a (ridiculously good) protection warrior and I'll probably keep playing that character. However I wouldn't mind having a free level 90 so my question is what healing class is the most fun to play/most overpowered? I'm thinking Druid at present but I could be swayed to Shaman or Paladin; I have a priest that's 59 from AV twinking days so I'm less inclined to make one of those. I played a Commando healer in SWTOR in my most recent MMO experience (which was fun though the disgusting microtransactions eventually got me to quit) and did play DPS in Warhammer since that was just all murder all the time (also having like 80 healers on call was nice).

I think the PvP in WoW is atrociously boring pillar hugging so that's not really a huge concern.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Zirilius

To get me to play WoW my unusually generous brother is buying WoD and a 3 month card for me, I've previously played a (ridiculously good) protection warrior and I'll probably keep playing that character. However I wouldn't mind having a free level 90 so my question is what healing class is the most fun to play/most overpowered? I'm thinking Druid at present but I could be swayed to Shaman or Paladin; I have a priest that's 59 from AV twinking days so I'm less inclined to make one of those. I played a Commando healer in SWTOR in my most recent MMO experience (which was fun though the disgusting microtransactions eventually got me to quit) and did play DPS in Warhammer since that was just all murder all the time (also having like 80 healers on call was nice).

I think the PvP in WoW is atrociously boring pillar hugging so that's not really a huge concern.

Holy Paladin's are severely lacking in the healing department right now especially if you are wanting to do Heroic dungeons. Normal modes are find but they simple struggle to keep up with when it comes to AoE fights. Beacon of Light helps but at most can only be cast on 2 party members (when glphyed). I think their biggest issue is a lack of a consistent HoT to put up. Druids and priests seem to be the most desired healers right now but Shaman's and Brewmasters can certainly hold their own.

Currently I'm spec'd Prot and Ret for pally because of this.

Avatar image for littleghostgaming
    LittleGhostGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Try the classes and get a feel for them. The last thing you want to do is boost a character that you'll eventually have no interest in playing. I boosted a hunter on a new server with my free 90 because I'd never finished a hunter. Now I remember why. I can't stand playing the hunter and I'm already leveling a class that I did enjoy while my level 100 hunter sits around to farm the garrison.

TLDR: Boost something you'll enjoy playing, not just because you didn't have one.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Save your boost for a character that's 60 so you get that sweet profession bump up to 600.

I would have said discipline priest, but since you don't want to play a priest, I'd probably look at druids next.

I've always hated holy paladin healing. It worked great in well knit groups, but everyone just stands in fire nowadays.

As for shaman, I hard a hard time leveling one up to 45, no matter what spec. You may find it fun, but I didn't.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

I've always hated holy paladin healing. It worked great in well knit groups, but everyone just stands in fire nowadays.

Is this true? That's pretty sad if so, though also quite comedic. As a tank I would occasionally kill certain members of the group intentionally (though I didn't give asinine lectures afterward) for humor purposes but if they die of their own volition that should be rather amusing. Brother's playing a tank for now (altaholic) so should have instant queues and have a random roulette of the much despised DPS players.

Did they just tune everything so the fire is insignificant or is everyone just not particularly bright?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zelyre

@fredchuckdave: As someone who once healed as a holy paladin and tanked as a warrior/paladin/death knight who now mains a warlock, I make it a point not to get healed. I'll toss out cookies all the time, and no one takes them. I'll walk out of fire, aoe, etc, and I'll be the only one who stops DPS'ing to not take damage. And I'll still be top damage.

A lot of DPS players are just lazy. I think all the grossly over leveled tanks/healers in 660 gear running dungeons made for 500 gear made lazy DPS even worse.

Since you guys are doing heals/tank, I'd do dungeons nice and slow. Watch every cut scene. Mark things for CC. Just to drive the DPS crazy.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zirilius

@zelyre said:

@fredchuckdave: As someone who once healed as a holy paladin and tanked as a warrior/paladin/death knight who now mains a warlock, I make it a point not to get healed. I'll toss out cookies all the time, and no one takes them. I'll walk out of fire, aoe, etc, and I'll be the only one who stops DPS'ing to not take damage. And I'll still be top damage.

A lot of DPS players are just lazy. I think all the grossly over leveled tanks/healers in 660 gear running dungeons made for 500 gear made lazy DPS even worse.

Yep MOP heroics were a joke at the end and this is the first time in a long time I've actually been nervous tanking instances in a long time. Some of that is due to majority of my guild no longer playing WoW and having to PUG. The other part is people bitching, whining, and leaving when something doesn't go their way in a dungeon. Lately I've been running as DPS to learn the heroic mechanics for the level 100 instances. Queue times suck but I'd rather DPS and avoid the bad then get blamed for killing Croman.

Starting to get the point where I'm mostly geared out and with LFR still a few weeks away I may end up boosting on the GB server. I think professions are less important now with the barracks but good god if you are an enchanter you can be making bank!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: I'm an enchanter and would like to know the secrets to making bank. :(

I'd like to learn the dungeons as DPS as well, but I'm not 100 yet. Queue times for DPS are an hour long, and half the time it pops, some DPS never readies up.

But DPS never seem to have any patience for a tank learning an instance. Why rush the tank/healer? Who cares if a dungeon takes 25 minutes instead of 15?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zirilius

@zelyre said:

@zirilius: I'm an enchanter and would like to know the secrets to making bank. :(

I'd like to learn the dungeons as DPS as well, but I'm not 100 yet. Queue times for DPS are an hour long, and half the time it pops, some DPS never readies up.

But DPS never seem to have any patience for a tank learning an instance. Why rush the tank/healer? Who cares if a dungeon takes 25 minutes instead of 15?

I'm just looking at prices for mats (trying not to pay 20k for a weapon enchant) and good gravy is high level dust in short supply. Temporal Crystals are going for about 1k a piece on my server. I don't mind the queue times (about 30-40 minutes when I play) which gives me plenty of time to do my daily Apexis Crystal quest.

I agree on the why rush the tank or healer statement. Never felt rushed until MoP since it was all about people trying to maximize the amount of Valor they got per dungeon. I'll get to the point where I feel comfortable tanking again after running each dungeon a couple of times.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Druids are really good right now in any role in the game. Paladins are pretty good if you want to do player vs player stuff. I would stay away from shaman since they are currently pretty crap.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: @zirilius: There's a lot of fun things you can do with DPS apart from killing them; ignoring everyone at the start of the instance is a good one, overpulling as long as you're sure the healer is good, even linking a DPS meter where you did the most damage as the tank (a very frequent occurrence) is a solid measure. I mean, these are MMO players it's not like they have any right to complain about anything, their job is to sit around and collect loot while someone else carries them.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

I already have a lvl 90 Warrior, so if I even get this boost thing I'll probably use it on my lvl 83 Druid because I don't want to lvl it to 90. The worst part of WoW is leveling so doing it again and again through content I already did is not fun to me and I will no longer do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.