Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The 7th Saga

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 23, 1993

Seven heroes on a quest to collect seven runes to save the world.

Had anyone tried 7th Saga redux?

Geekcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By Geekcore

I actually played and beat the cartridge version of the game and I have fond memories. Will this balance patch help me replay this game? I have been considering playing it again, but I don't have the time to grind like I did when I was 13.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Geekcore:  I would love to know the answer to this question.  I absolutely loved this game when it came out for the SNES.
    Geekcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Geekcore
    @mzuckerm:  What was your team?
    When I was young, I rolled with Lux and Valsu and finished the game. I tried a Lejes about 5 or 6 years ago, but I got stuck pretty early in the game. 
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Geekcore: I think the first time through I was probably Kamile.  I know I liked having Lux in my party, but I may have had a few different companions.  Pretty sure I did a Lux run after that.  I remember picking this up again when I was in law school 7 or 8 years ago (SNES emulator, I think).  I got pretty far into it then, but I don't think I got around to beating it.  I remember trying to play through as Lejes once and finding it really tough sledding at times.  It definitely required a lot of grinding.  My older brother got to the last level right before the final boss and just level-grinded for like a month, until he was able to beat the final boss in just 3 or 4 hits.  It was impressive (if not a complete waste of time).
    Geekcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geekcore
    @mzuckerm: 
    I just started my 7th Saga Redux play through and it really does make the game manageable. I started as Valsu and I'm done with the first boss with little grinding. Here is what is changed:

Quoted from the Patch Download site:
    "7th Saga was a challenging and original RPG for SNES, but suffered from ridiculous difficulty and tedious level grinding. This hack attempts to address the difficulty so that the game is challenging without being frustrating, and to add a few fun elements to expand the strategy. Equipment and attack spells have been powered-up. Some enemies have been given elemental weaknesses, and a new spell has been introduced."

Also
    1. Weapons and armor have higher attack/defense powers and attack magic resistances. Lux and Wilme earn higher Power (+5/level) and Guard (+6/level) to compensate.
    2. Attack magic has higher spell powers, especially higher-level magic.
    3. Wilme and Lejes learn Flee at level 23. Lejes learns Power instead of Defense2.
    4. Many monsters are now weak/strong against different elements.
    5. All experience/gold is doubled in the Past.
    6. The item shop in Palsu sells Seeds for 10,000 (which also means you can sell them for 5,000).
    7. The D.Night enemy in the last dungeon drops unique weapons/armor for the 7 apprentices. The weapons have very high attack power, the armors have high resistance values (Esuna's and Wilme's are strong against attack magic, Valsu's is strong against effect and vacuum magic).
    8. Spells are learned at slightly lower levels past level 20.
    9. B Protect is now sold in the Airship at the end of the game.

This seems a lot less grind heavy, but I'm not too far. Also, since this is a rom I can speed up grinding with the FF button.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Geekcore: There aren't enough hours in the day.  I'd like to go back to this, but between life and other games that I'm playing now (Dead Rising 2, Civ 5, Torchlight again, and waiting for ArcaniA and the new Fallout later this month), I'm not sure when I'll be able to fit it in.  
    Geekcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Geekcore
    @mzuckerm: I understand. As soon as Fallout: New Vegas comes out, I'm dropping 7th Saga. I'm just kinda bored and nostalgic.

The game is actually not that long when you take out half of the grinding. I'm 5 hours in and I have 4 of the 7 runes.I'm sure things will slow down when I go to the past, but I'm going to see how far I can get before I get side-tracked by some new game. 

Man, I'm planning on playing Fallout: NX, Vanquished, Fable 3, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Enslaved, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. If I don't finish this now...it's not going to happen.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Geekcore: Godspeed, brother.
    Kamiwoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Kamiwoo

I know this is an old topic, but anyway... 

I'd say one of the major changes in the redux is that Lejes doesn't learn Defense2, but Power instead. It turns fighting him from a joke into a serious battle. Not only that, but it makes him a more versatile teammate, since he can buff now, which is a lot more useful than debuffing in this game. 

I'm a little torn since I do like the game in its original form, but this redux does offer something new to look forward to when playing it again. Unlike a lot of rom hacks and "readjustments", this is done really well. There's always the original Japanese version to play if you want a less grind-intensive experience, since it's oddly easier than the English counterpart. Plus, naked Wilme.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.