Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Survival

Concept »

Survival is a concept that signifies that the player's life is constantly in jeopardy.

Definition?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I think, as it stands, the definition for "survival" is far too broad. I wouldn't necessarily consider "left4dead" to be a game about survival. As it is, most of the games that have been developed for the past thirty years can fit into this category. Pac-Man is on the list, and by this definition, it fits!

It unfortunately makes it hard for the user to use this list to find games where survival is a key theme in the game.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By twenty0ne

Pretty much every shooter is about surviving...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike
    Bellum said:
     I wouldn't necessarily consider "left4dead" to be a game about survival. 
    That's all Left 4 Dead is...surviving zombie attacks and making it to the next checkpoint.  Players' characters are even referred to as survivors.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

twenty0ne said:
    "Pretty much every shooter is about surviving..."

Not just shooters, just about any game that allows you to die can be said to be about survival. However, survival is not a key theme in the games, it's just a function of being able to die. Stranded is a good example of a game that is about survival.
    Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Hdfisise

I would consider Left 4 dead about survival as to actually have a good chance of winning the whole team needs to survive. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MB said:
    "Bellum said:
    That's all Left 4 Dead is...surviving zombie attacks and making it to the next checkpoint.  Players' characters are even referred to as survivors."
    Hdfisise said:
    "I would consider Left 4 dead about survival as to actually have a good chance of winning the whole team needs to survive. "

True, but again this is apart of just about every shooter. It's debatable, but I really don't think Left4Dead has that many "survivalist" concepts. It's more about getting to the end of the checkpoint so you can experience all the content and get points.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Bellum said:
    "MB said:
    "Bellum said:
    That's all Left 4 Dead is...surviving zombie attacks and making it to the next checkpoint.  Players' characters are even referred to as survivors."
    Hdfisise said:
    "I would consider Left 4 dead about survival as to actually have a good chance of winning the whole team needs to survive. "
    True, but again this is apart of just about every shooter. It's debatable, but I really don't think Left4Dead has that many "survivalist" concepts. It's more about getting to the end of the checkpoint so you can experience all the content and get points."
    And if you go too far to the other end of the spectrum :-  Survival kids

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.