Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

FGC Gets Hands on Smash 4 JP Demo: Outlook Good

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

So if you don't know, the recent resurgence and integration of Smash into the FGC has been kinda crazy. Now that Smash 4 is on the horizon, everyone's been wondering what this means for the Smash scene and whether or not we'll finally be able to stop dragging out the CRT's and move on from Melee. It's been hard to parse, with Sakurai speaking against the concept of Smash as a high-level competitive game on one hand and NOA openly courting the Smash scene with things like that crazy E3 invitational tournament.

Post E3 people weren't exactly hot on the game. Movement felt slow and floaty, one of the primary reasons Brawl failed to succeed Melee as the game-of-choice. After all, Nintendo may have been trying to capitalize on the zeitgeist and make a strong marketing push for the game, but Sakurai was still the one in charge of the actual development. Now the 3DS demo is out in Japan and, thankfully, it seems like things have changed for the better and it's time to get HYPE! Observe:

YO LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    YO LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I hope gameplay wise, Wii U and 3DS are the exact same. I don't want one character to be good in one version and then be terrible in the other.

If the Wii U version has good online, I might try and learn to play at a higher level.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Combos? So it's like Playstation All-Stars?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

@jjor64: That's always been my impression. Same core game, different trimmings.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Good good. Yes, very good...

I have very little interest in actually playing this game in any fashion other than a fun dumb party game, but I love the idea of Smash possibly being at more events

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MezZa

This is great news! I've been a big Smash fanatic ever since I was renting the N64 cart as a little kid. The thought of the new game having the possibility to get some competitive attention makes me all giddy inside.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

That's cool! Can't wait for the Wii U version...Whenever it actually comes out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@jjor64: That's always been my impression. Same core game, different trimmings.

Not exactly a shining comparison.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As a spectator, not super interested. the Melee matches at EVO were kind of long and boring. Each round just lasts too long.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak said:

As a spectator, not super interested. the Melee matches at EVO were kind of long and boring. Each round just lasts too long.

I agree, but the changes sound like this one might be better. Combos and a better balanced roster both help towards making match ups more exciting.

Also, if you though the Melee games at EVO were dull, I suggest you never watch a Brawl tourney. Forty Metaknight players and a smattering of Diddy Kongs. Ugh...

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: Yeah, true. Also didn't help that I was comparing it to say, MvC3 and BlazBlue. But Melee was a LOT of Fox/Falco, so I really hope the balance is there in Smash 4.

I can't speak at all to the competitive experience for players, as i've never been good enough for even a local tournament.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Driam

Then they discovered that Mega man's up+b is a guaranteed combo breaker and everyone goes back to melee.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#13 rmanthorp  Moderator
    Loading Video...

WE GOT COMBOS LET'S GO

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Combos? So it's like Playstation All-Stars?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Combos are one of the better parts of all stars.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Sweet to hear how balanced 3DS Smash is. Also, I'd like to see what combos I could pull off with characters like Fox or Peach.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is good to hear, especially about the movement speed and flow. Brawl never felt right to me in that regard.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@jjor64 said:

I hope gameplay wise, Wii U and 3DS are the exact same. I don't want one character to be good in one version and then be terrible in the other.

If the Wii U version has good online, I might try and learn to play at a higher level.

They are identical as far as gameplay and character roster. Wii U version obvious has better graphics and few exclusive features, as the 3DS version has Smash Run(mode where you fight enemies and collect items & power-ups in a Metroid-y or Kirby-like level, then face off against 3 other players who have done the same in a traditional match, but you all have the stuff you collected from the run), and each have some exclusive stages, like the 3DS version has the bridge area to the Gerudo Fortress from Ocarina of Time.

Anyway this is stellar news. I don't play Smash Brothers on that level, but if the game feels great, fast, fluid, and balanced, that is great news for everyone who plays it.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OGJackWagon69

sounds pretty rad, smash bros is kind of like divekick to me, the inputs for all the moves are super simplified so it allows me to learn and experience all the hardcore metagame stuff and combos that other fighting games have a lot more easily then with something as complicated as street fighter

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I find myself pretty excited for this game after not really paying attention. I don't care about the competitive stuff but I am looking forward to this a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.