Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jan 25, 2019

A remake of the 1998 survival horror classic, Resident Evil 2.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - Reviews & Impressions

• 122 results
    stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@inevpatoria: Yeah thank you. I cracked and looked at a guide - pretty sure I have the needed note.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stryker1121: Check your documents, take a look at the notebook you got from the officer that got torn in half.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Trying to push through my Claire 2nd run playthrough but man... the sewer section in this game just sucks. The biggest issue I'm having has to be the big monsters that are incredibly difficult to get past. I was a bit careless going through the first half of the sewer stuff on this run because I was really bummed I had to do it again, and its lead to me having to run through a gauntlet of the monsters now with absolutely no ammo and healing items. I dropped the game down to Assisted but haven't had another go at it yet.

I guess I can kinda spin that out into a general disappointment about how the 2nd run is implemented. I didn't play the original RE2 so I can only comment on what's in this remaster, but the 2nd run is far too similar to the 1st to really feel meaningful. I mean, Leon is supposed to be ahead of Claire. We know this because he leaves messages for her. So why do I have to fight all these enemies and complete these puzzles if he just came through!?

Ah, regardless, this game continues to be awesome. I really like Claire, and Leon is a real dope in a kind of charming way, though I'm still not convinced that it's anything but a case of iffy voice acting that makes him so silly. What a weird and great game.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nateandrews: If those sewer monsters are submerged, just shoot them once with a pistol and run by them as they react, the ones standing can be avoided altogether if you're quick about it.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Boy, I know that you're right, but fuck if I didn't blow through several grenades and knives trying to run past those assholes.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nateandrews: It doesn't help that the sewer system felt like the most troublesome space to navigate. I was lost constantly in that area.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You knew where you stood with spiders.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blakey1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man i ve just finished playthough b as claire and ive got dmx stuck in my head mr x can fuck right off

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By NeoCalypso

My tip for Claire in the sewers is to pull out the UZI. By then it should be fully upgraded(I think you get that last upgrade from the safe in the sewers) and by that point it becomes an absolute monster at taking out weakpoints. You can take a full health Adult G monster down in about 2-3 seconds of fire to that eyeball. They become a joke and if you've been saving it, you should have plenty of ammo to get it done.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just beat my second playthrough, claire B. Tight, short, fun, scary, tense. This game was killer. I never really played the resident evil games. Watched friend play some of the first remake on gamecube. Skipped almost entirely during ps1 days. Not really even a horror game player; I'm a wimp.

Playing felt so good and obviously it looks amazing, playing on pc here, that I just really wanted to get through it. Got 2 or 3 hints for my first play through cause at a certain point I wasn't sure where a thing was and I was scared as hell to recheck everything open to me. Looked up a couple Mr X general tips because I just had to and didn't want to have to put the game down because of him. Got done with leon's game in 7 hours. Went back with Claire, had more fun with the weapons and only thing I really had to look up this time was the trigger for Mr X for running into him early in the B playthroughs. I avoided that until the last possible second, and then beat the B playthrough in like 6 hours?

I don't know if I need to do any more runs anytime soon or extra stuff. I definitely want to have fun with unlocked weapons but I don't feel like doing anything with a guide to get the weapons(maybe some pc cheats..) for the crazy short times or steps or anything. It was a solid ass game though. I love how short it is. A lot of the games I beat at the end of the last year just seem to drag on forever and I think I'm past wanting a million sidequests and 30 extra hours of content to do. They were good and fun but this was such a nice change of pace. This also marks the first horror game I beat alone? Girlfriend watched basically both playthroughs in their entirety but I never handed off a controller to anyone else.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By shiftygism

Looking forward to the free dlc tomorrow, hope it opens up some new outside areas of the map.

I did a no healing item or item box and under 14,000 step run this morning on assisted, fighting X was kinda tough on caution. Might test the waters on a hardcore run tonight.

EDIT: Well shit, just saw the dlc isn't dropping until the 15th. I assumed it was getting a standard Tuesday release.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh mannn...I knew there was no auto-saving in hardcore mode....but I forgot there was no auto-saving in hardcore mode after I quickly discovered bosses can one shot kill your ass dead while getting a little too close to Birkin in the first encounter. I'm gonna have to plan my three saves carefully if I try for S/S+. Luckily I pretty much have the police station memorized so getting back to that point is a breeze.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh mannn...I knew there was no auto-saving in hardcore mode....but I forgot there was no auto-saving in hardcore mode after I quickly discovered bosses can one shot kill your ass dead while getting a little too close to Birkin in the first encounter. I'm gonna have to plan my three saves carefully if I try for S/S+. Luckily I pretty much have the police station memorized so getting back to that point is a breeze.

Yeeeep. I was attempting an S+ a couple days ago with Leon and lost my whole run and hour in at the gator because I didn't realize how tough that thing can be to dodge(apparently I completely lucked my way through it the first time).

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if the DLC will be treated like a DLC or will it be a "Free update" that downloads automatically

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I read I'm assuming it's an update, the skins are supposedly PS Store downloads however.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Panfoot

Messed around with Ghost Survivors a little bit, as expected it's 3 new 4th Survivor/Tofu Survivor type challenges, with a few nice little twist. The big difference is that unlike the HUNK/Tofu missions, you can pick up items, specifically some zombies have backpacks which drop when killed and usually have 3 or 4 items(most of the time gunpowder). There are also little vending machines that you come across that give you a choice 1 of 3 items. Also you can play an easier version of the missions that give you more ammo but don't record your score, which is good for just messing around/planning out a route(these ones seem to be filled TONS of enemies, like the parking garage in 4th Survivor). Each mission has a specific new enemy type too, (poison zombies, zombies that can only be killed with high powered ammo, and zombies with indestructible armor on different parts of their bodies). Only tried each a couple of times but weirdly I made the most progress so far in the hardest rated one, the Umbrella soldier one.

Also PS, on steam at least Ghost Survivors is just patched into the game but the '98 costumes are 2 separate free downloads in the store itself

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really hate the 4th Survivor and Ghost Survivors. Let's turn this slow-ish paced horror puzzle/shooter into an action game. Quit the "easiest" 2 star Ghost Survivor out of frustration.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: Tried that stuff out this morning and was pretty disappointed.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

Really hate the 4th Survivor and Ghost Survivors. Let's turn this slow-ish paced horror puzzle/shooter into an action game. Quit the "easiest" 2 star Ghost Survivor out of frustration.

It's only slowly paced if you're new or choose to play that way, the game pushes speed running even more so than the original. Eventually you learn which enemies you can avoid, how to avoid them, or take them down/stun them allowing you to move past more efficiently without the need to "kill" them. In the Ghost Survivor mode (from what I've seen) your main goal is killing the zombie with the backpack, looting the vending machine, and moving on. Everything else is a distraction you don't need to bother with (dogs) or obstacles you need to run by whichever way you can using the techniques you picked up in the main game.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Yes but going to assume most people play it slow placed atleast at first and don't do tons of speed runs through the game possibly ever. I "ran" a lot more on B but between running huge loops through the precinct to avoid X by never double backing and still killing enemies but more efficiently with extra left over ammo, still ended up "slow" because the game was fun that way.

I have almost 0 interest in these modes because what I'm hearing are not the reasons I think RE2 felt so fun to play, but it's fine they exist, I just don't think I care.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By handlas

@shiftygism: sure... I got a S+ rank by speed running following a YouTube vid. So I know the tricks to avoid most enemies. Like the dogs barely can touch you. But the Ghost Survivors mode is different in that you are pushed through tiny hallways with 5-6 enemies that you must engage with. Add to that fact that they add tougher enemies like the pale heads that require you to use the heavy ammo that's very limited and takes far too long to swap to from the normal ammo. The mechanics of the game are just not well suited for having fun in that kind of gameplay. Far more enjoyable in the main game where you have time to think.

That's mainly what my prob is. It's just not fun. I wish it was paced like the main game but oh well I'll prob play thru the main campaign again at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@shiftygism said:
    @handlas said:

It's only slowly paced if you're new or choose to play that way, the game pushes speed running even more so than the original.

This is a misnomer. While it's clear there's more on the periphery of this game that encourages moving quickly (like the way the game surfaces the time benchmarks required for A and B ranks), the game isn't really reinforcing speedrunning through its mechanics at all.

Especially on a first playthrough, if you're hustling, you're dying. And my assumption is that most players will get through the 1st and 2nd Run scenarios once before jumping directly in to the 4th Survivor campaign--which unlocks immediately after the first completion of the 2nd Run and is a WILDLY different experience. The main game is a slow-burn gauntlet of lateral thinking. The 4th Survivor campaign is essentially an exercise in trial and error until you've optimized a path through overwhelming and sometimes artificially difficult opposition.

Sure, you can run the main campaign back. You can exploit stagger animations and optimize ammo usage and sprint along a critical path to shave off minutes at a time. But you can't do the opposite: You can't play 4th Survivor in the methodical and gripping way one might proceed through the campaign. It's built to force you to run. And I think that's where the frustration comes in.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I have played the campaign seven times to completion and enjoyed doing so thoroughly. Survivor missions are not for me. I've had my enjoyment out of this game. And it has been excellent. No need to leave it behind with a bitter taste in my mouth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.