Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Remake

Concept »

A broad spectrum of games can be described as remakes, from straightforward graphical overhauls to extensive revision of gameplay and story elements. In the most basic sense, a remake keeps the original's core gameplay and plot but makes significant changes to peripheral aspects.

What's the next remake people will be clamoring for?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Now that so many remakes ppl have been asking for have come out or on its way, what do you think will be that game going forward? I'm not talking about the one you'd necessarily want but the one audiences will be most vocal about. Ocarina of Time? Mario 64? Max Payne? BioShock? Mass Effect?

No Caption Provided
    MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I want the answer to be Chrono Trigger or Lost Odyssey but the real answer will be Final Fantasy VII. You maybe saying "what, that's out next year!". There will be a very vocal community of people who will not accept that game as a remake and want square to make a "real" remake of the game that is both whole as one part and has ATB combat the way they remember it. I don't think the book is closed on people wanting FF7.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

@merxworx01: Future installments will certainly evolve based on the reaction and reception of Part 1 and who knows, later games may end up being more old school, more faithful but when they’re all said and done, ppl will be very vocal about the quality of those games but the hunger for anything ff7 will be satiated and I don’t think there will be enough ppl calling for a re-do.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cikame

Predicting what everyone wants is hard.
    One that just popped into my head that i haven't seen requested, Grand Theft Auto 3, but that path doesn't have a future because i don't think you can remake Vice City... ever.
    My personal desire is to see God Hand get some love (I CANNOT BELIEVE Gene isn't in Smash), and for good measure i have a trollish answer:
    Tomb Raider.
    Yes it was rebooted, and while i like the satisfying upgrade paths of the reboot trilogy, i do not like the stories or the new Lara, i want my old Lara back, the British video game heroine we were proud of, we even named a street after her!

No Caption Provided

She doesn't need to be a sex object or a relic of decades gone, i just want the strength and sass back, she was an icon.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill 1. I don't really trust Konami to do it well after the HD Collection debacle, but I think it's definitely worthy and big enough to be worth it. Silent Hill 2 and 3 still look fantastic, they just need a re-release, no enhancements are really needed, but some light ones would be welcome. Silent Hill 1 is early enough that it could benefit from being brought up to modern standards, and it also famous enough that it'd be a big deal. Ideally it would keep the music and voice acting, at least as options, or get some of the voice actors back. Also, since it's the first in the series, it's a great jumping off point to bring it back into the spotlight and reestablish the franchise, even if it doesn't have it's most iconic and marketable character (Pyramid Head).

The original game was a PS1 exclusive, so it might even be of interest for Sony to get behind it somehow. I could even see a scenario where Silent Hill becomes a Sony franchise if Konami decides to sell it off.

Only thing I'd be concerned about with HD Silent Hill games is loosing that gritty, hazy look they always had, the resolutions they had were part of the aesthetic I think. Trying to replicate it with film grain or something would probably just turn off people that don't understand it and want full beautiful clarity at all times, but I think it'd be worth it.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Hopefully it is what most people are looking for and are satisfied with the results but I feel that the moment the game is released we will be "treated" to articles about angry fans not being happy with how the story, mechanics and how the game is being sold. Of course I could be 100% wrong but I am going to say that the FF7 diehards are going be so insufferable that there will be articles written about it.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually really surprised people aren't already vocal about an Ocarina of Time remake, at least from what I've seen.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@merxworx01: there will be articles written about it regardless. It doesn’t matter, it could be the greatest remake ever and there will inevitably still be people who are upset about something.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I would lose my mind if JSRF was remade with extra music, more tricks, special tricks, open world, etc, but in terms of what I think other people might want besides myself...

1. Vice City would be pretty great with modern visuals and mechanics. Just the Miami night scene and '80s vibe with Rockstar's current tech could be really stylish and something people would happily revisit for fun. Too much work, though, it'll probably never happen.
    2. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver could be a candidate that'd interest me as someone who played it for the first time a couple years ago and liked what I played, but struggled to overlook its creaky bones before giving up.
    3. Tenchu. Always appreciated the name and respected its classic/semi-classic status, but found the games clunky and unable to immerse me half the time.

Unlikely candidates I'd enjoy:

The Warriors. Loved the shit out of it. Running around '70s Coney Island/New York with modern open-world game design would really scratch my itch, although the original's biggest issues were arguably technical ones, not design ones. That aspect kinda holds up in the same rough way the movie does.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The first two Brothers in Arms games are deserving of a remaster, and if Borderlands 3 doesn't do well, Gearbox might have to spin up some remakes to keep money flowing.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's tough to predict specifics but I think the N64 and PS1 and to a lesser extent the Dreamcast and PS2 are the most likely sources for a remake that will cause the biggest ripples amongst people. Those consoles and their polygon games are the ones probably most in need of a remake, rather than a remaster. Particularly when there are so many games with great content from those systems that are now hard to go back to aesthetically or control system-wise. There's been a few already, and FFVII is an obvious ongoing hype train, but I could see a few more being picked from there that catch the public's eye. Personally, a Perfect Dark remake would be nice, might have been a big enough game to get some traction. Ocarina in the BotW engine? That would be pretty good too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.