Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 14, 2004

In Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy the player assumes the role of Nick Scryer, an amnesiac with latent psychic abilities. Join Nick as he seeks to uncover the motives behind "The Movement" and recover his forgotten memories.

Define "US" and "ad-supported"...

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deusoma

I happened across the free download of this game today (which was mentioned in another thread, but that one's two years old so I made a new one instead of raising it from the dead). I heard very good things about it back in the day, never got the chance to play it, and I was thinking Psi-Ops would make a pretty good subject for a Let's Play, but there are two things keeping me from clicking the button.

First, it's free because this version is "ad supported", and I'm not sure what that means. Did they throw posters for Stride Gum and upcoming movies onto the levels? Or do they have video advertisements playing over the loading screens? Because the former would make for a great running gag in an LP, but the latter would just be awkward in a video series, though I suppose I could just cut those parts out.

Second, and more importantly, the download page vaguely states that this version of the game is only available "For US and European users", presumably because the advertisements are for products available in those regions. Now, I'm Canadian. When they say "US", do they actually mean "North American", the way game developers often refer to "the American release date" of a game, or is it literally referring to the United States of America? Because I really don't want to make a 2 GB download for a file I can't use.

Incidentally, the FilePlanet link from the old thread doesn't work anymore, the mirror I found is here.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Deusoma

In a blatant attempt to bump my own thread, I'll post the music video to the song that Cold wrote for the game.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

@Deusoma said:

I happened across the free download of this game today (which was mentioned in another thread, but that one's two years old so I made a new one instead of raising it from the dead). I heard very good things about it back in the day, never got the chance to play it, and I was thinking Psi-Ops would make a pretty good subject for a Let's Play, but there are two things keeping me from clicking the button.

First, it's free because this version is "ad supported", and I'm not sure what that means. Did they throw posters for Stride Gum and upcoming movies onto the levels? Or do they have video advertisements playing over the loading screens? Because the former would make for a great running gag in an LP, but the latter would just be awkward in a video series, though I suppose I could just cut those parts out.

Second, and more importantly, the download page vaguely states that this version of the game is only available "For US and European users", presumably because the advertisements are for products available in those regions. Now, I'm Canadian. When they say "US", do they actually mean "North American", the way game developers often refer to "the American release date" of a game, or is it literally referring to the United States of America? Because I really don't want to make a 2 GB download for a file I can't use.

Incidentally, the FilePlanet link from the old thread doesn't work anymore, the mirror I found is here.

Did you ever get it working? I've installed the game and it crashes to desktop every time I run it. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Deusoma
    @A_Cute_Squirtle: Actually, no one ever responded, so I just didn't bother. Now that you've reminded me, maybe I'll give it a shot, see what happens.
    Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

@Deusoma said:

@A_Cute_Squirtle: Actually, no one ever responded, so I just didn't bother. Now that you've reminded me, maybe I'll give it a shot, see what happens.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any success with it.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

US is North America 
    ad supported is free but you have to watch ads

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.