Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Prime 2011

Concept »

The eighth annual Penny Arcade Expo took place from August 26-28, 2011 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington.

Disappointing PAX Variety Hour

• 138 results
    Valwryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Valwryn

Started 15 minutes late, and ended 30 minutes early =(. Left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, (presenters included) so thought I'd make a post about it. I know I personally was in line for ~2 hours and wasn't anywhere near the front, so hopefully those before me don't feel as disappointed with the Variety Hour as I do. Just not the best way to end the night waiting more time for an event, than the event itself lasted (according to the schedule). I know that's par for the course at PAX, but still a bummer to have it happen with GB, especially when it's too late to get into any other events (such as concerts) because of timing.

TLDR: Airing grievances! Carry on.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

That wait/show time ratio does suck, but how was the show itself? Length aside, was the content of the panel disappointing?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

That's a bummer to hear. :(

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rynbeed

The show was awesome - the only bummer is that it got cut short. According to my clock the show wasnt more then 5 minutes late. I left, but its my understanding that the crew hung out for a good while after to make up for the miscommunication.

I had a great time and enjoyed sharing a room with the guys. It was a good laugh and a nice finish to the first day of PAX.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Duffyside

How can you be disappointed with the announcement of a new Endurance Run?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Duffyside said:

Carry on?
    Valwryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Valwryn

Haha true, new Endurance run will be sweet. I'm guessing Catherine, but I'm hoping Persona 4.

Show was great. Vinny was on fire. Just wished we could get some Jon Vignocchi in there.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

so ... will this be on the site? or can I see it somewhere already?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Valwryn said:

Haha true, new Endurance run will be sweet. I'm guessing Catherine, but I'm hoping Persona 4.

Show was great. Vinny was on fire. Just wished we could get some Jon Vignocchi in there.

Oh they just said there's going to be a new endurance run but didn't say which game?

I hope it isn't Catherine. They already know how it ends.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Slaker117

Wait. Are you guys are fucking with us, right? New ER? Oh God, please let there be a new ER.

exfauxsure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By exfauxsure

I agree, I think we were all a little heartbroken about it ending half-an-hour early but overall the time with the guys was absolutely golden. Further proves my point that Vinny is the best!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@Slaker117 said:

Wait. Are you guys are fucking with us, right? New ER? Oh God, please let there be a new ER.

Since it's been spoiled outside of the panel, yes, there will be a new Endurance Run. They said flat out that another is coming. They did not provide any indication of what the game of choice would be.

Valwryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Valwryn

Actually, thinking back on the Variety Hour, it wasn't that great. Paul Barnet and a lady acquaintance got on stage and shilled the free Warhammer game for far too long. Pandered like crazy, Paul did his typical "fans are so great speech" that he does at every Warhammer related event, and then they started picking fights with Jonnny V.

There were times of painfully awkward silence when she was talking about Warhammer. Even Paul was too annoyed/busy to listen to her. I couldn't even tell if Jeff was fake irritated with said female or playfully irritated with said female... yeah I still think it was disappointing when calculating that guest appearance into it.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By icicle7x3

Whatever, I had a great time.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaker117
    @Hailinel said:

@Slaker117 said:

Since it's been spoiled outside of the panel, yes, there will be a new Endurance Run. They said flat out that another is coming. They did not provide any indication of what the game of choice would be.

Thank you. This is great news.
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TepidShark

I have no idea what it is but if I had to speculate maybe Brad finally convinced them to do that Chrono Trigger ER he has wanted to do (he has hinted at that at least twice).

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By vidiot

@Doctorchimp said:

@Valwryn said:

Oh they just said there's going to be a new endurance run but didn't say which game? I hope it isn't Catherine. They already know how it ends.

They made a joke congratulating that no one asked them if there was going to be a new Endurance Run...and then they announced a new Endurance Run.

*Giant Round of Applause*

They also said more subscriber only video's were going to appear, and Jeff is getting his own "Wall of Fame" series or something.

So, yeah, it was actually a very informative and entertaining podcast.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By TheHT
    @Duffyside said:

Right, and Brad's leaving GB.

I'll believe when I'm 5 episodes in wondering 'what the fuck am I doing?' and then get really excited.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By big_jon

I had fun, I also got to ask the first question.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo

Ugh, ER is a massive waste of manhours. I probably won't member up this year if half of it's gonna be taken up by ER.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Afroman269

I'm looking forward to the dozens of guess what game will be played for the ER threads.

Ub3rSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ub3rSlug

@vidiot said:

They also said more subscriber only video's were going to appear, and Jeff is getting his own "Wall of Fame" series or something.

This is what I'm most excited about!

I was just thinking today that Giant Bomb should have it's own version of the Screened "Besties" series, where the duders talk about some of their favorites that might have been overlooked or were just before the site's time.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidSwords

@Jimbo said:

Ugh, ER is a massive waste of manhours. I probably won't member up this year if half of it's gonna be taken up by ER.

Might do the same if this is the case. I can already see the bullshit comments when the ER doesn't live up to peoples expectations.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @vidiot said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Valwryn said:

Oh they just said there's going to be a new endurance run but didn't say which game? I hope it isn't Catherine. They already know how it ends.

They made a joke congratulating that no one asked them if there was going to be a new Endurance Run...and then they announced a new Endurance Run.

*Giant Round of Applause*

So, yeah, it was actually a very informative and entertaining podcast.

I'm definitely getting a yearly membership soon, Dave and Vinny PC talk is what did it.

I was just probably going to wait until the Big Live Show when they give out more bonuses or something. I want that Lincoln Force shirt though so I actually might get it by Monday...
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Yanngc33

Saw some pics, everybody seemed to be having a great time

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BisonHero
    @Doctorchimp said:
    I'm definitely getting a yearly membership soon, Dave and Vinny PC talk is what did it.  I was just probably going to wait until the Big Live Show when they give out more bonuses or something. I want that Lincoln Force shirt though so I actually might get it by Monday...
    Hmmm, I've mentally committed to signing up for a yearly membership, but I actually don't want the Lincoln Force shirt, because while I have found a Youtube clip of the origin of Lincoln Force, it was well before I started listening to the Bombcast, so it kinda has no meaning to me. If I'm gonna drop the money on a yearly membership and get a free shirt, I'll wait until it's a free shirt I like.

Though now I wish I had signed up earlier, because it feels like that Lincoln Force shirt has been the shirt FOREVER. I guess they have to give away the stock before they make a new one, and membership signups are probably slowing down a bit because most of the committed community members have probably already signed up. It certainly seemed that way looking at how much the World Tour numbers seemed to completely stagnate.

Think they'll debut a new shirt for the Big Live Live Show Live #2?
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @BisonHero: I'd be completely surprised if they didn't make a new shirt for second year members.

It'd probably be a more universal Whiskey Media type shirt that represents all websites like the first one they did.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @TheHT said:
    @Duffyside said:

It's a shame, too. He was in his prime.
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    @TheHT said:
    @Duffyside said:

It's a shame, too. He was in his prime.
    It's OK, you'll be able to read his reviews on IGN once he makes the move.
    Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vamino

@Valwryn said:

Actually, thinking back on the Variety Hour, it wasn't that great. Paul Barnet and a lady acquaintance got on stage and shilled the free Warhammer game for far too long. Pandered like crazy, Paul did his typical "fans are so great speech" that he does at every Warhammer related event, and then they started picking fights with Jonnny V.

There were times of painfully awkward silence when she was talking about Warhammer. Even Paul was too annoyed/busy to listen to her. I couldn't even tell if Jeff was fake irritated with said female or playfully irritated with said female... yeah I still think it was disappointing when calculating that guest appearance into it.

I'm gonna guess the "lady acquaintance" was Carrie Gouskos, being that she works with Paul at Mythic. Jeff and Carrie are very good friends. She used to work at GameSpot.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BionicMonster

@Valwryn: Didn't Jeff kinda hate Catherine?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By rjayb89

I used to be excited at the mention of Endurance Runs (by the staff, even if it's a put-down by Jeff or something), but not as much anymore. The Persona 4 ER was the reason why I even decided to stick around on the site, and I can't even remember what I did before then. That ER was some sort of magic that I don't think I'll ever experience again on any site, but if I somehow decide to leave this site because of my unsatisfaction with their video content (the only type of content I give a shit about here) it would be a very sad day for me because I think these guys are extremely hilarious and do amazing work for their fans, and besides who am I going to listen to while I go running? Major Nelson? Fuck that pitchman shit.

Watching the less-than-stellar dual-run antics of "VJ" and "BR," just got me annoyed, and that wasn't just because of Brad and stuff, I don't care if Brad fucks up in anything since I think it's funny, but the game itself was just terrible to watch. As someone who just thinks Twin Peaks is okay, only up until you discover who killed Laura Palmer, that game's apparent homage to that series did nothing for me. Depending on what game they choose to play since no one mentioned what it might be, it's not something I look forward to anymore. And how people mention how unusually cynic the staff have become with games recently, I could agree with that to a certain extent. Even if they're talking about games I don't care about, like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, just hearing Jeff being a little, a "little" is obviously a relative term here, dismissive of the game despite his high-score review for the game can lead to some confusion. Not everyone likes to read a review and listen to the bombcast, which can really stir a huge fuss over these things in the comments, enough so for someone who regularly takes a small glance at the comments before I check something out.

Anyway, enough of that. Sad to hear they couldn't fill out their time slot. Wish I could've gone there either way and meet the guys.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I hope that the new ER isn't that stupid Yakuza game and no I'm not using reverse psychology.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zithe

@Duffyside said:

WHAAAAAT?! You guys had BETTER not be fucking with me. Or I'll...I'll...be mildly upset.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Grissefar

Woohoo Endurance Run! I hope it will be with Vinny! That guy is hilarious. I jus thave no idea what game it is. Yakuza 4 would be a good fit.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Doctorchimp said:

@BisonHero: I'd be completely surprised if they didn't make a new shirt for second year members. It'd probably be a more universal Whiskey Media type shirt that represents all websites like the first one they did.

I believe they've said it'll more likely be a gift certificate for the store this time, so you can get whatever you want.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoeyRavn

I'm probably the only soul in this website that hasn't seen either ER yet. I started the Deadly Premonition one, but since I've already beaten the game, I got bored half-way through. I haven't started the Persona 4 one because I want to play the game to see what the fuss is all about, so I won't spoil the game with the videos.

Anyways, great, I guess. If it's a game I like or have played, I'l try to finish it this time.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mnzy
    @JoeyRavn said:

I'm probably the only soul in this website that hasn't seen either ER yet.

You're not. I'm a big fan of the site but I don't like them.
    jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By jkuc316
    @JoeyRavn said:

I'm probably the only soul in this website that hasn't seen either ER yet. I started the Deadly Premonition one, but since I've already beaten the game, I got bored half-way through. I haven't started the Persona 4 one because I want to play the game to see what the fuss is all about, so I won't spoil the game with the videos.

Anyways, great, I guess. If it's a game I like or have played, I'l try to finish it this time.

At least you tried to watch, I haven't.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Endurance Run; most popular feature the site has ever had, cheaper and easier to edit than video reviews, events or interviews, and completely loathed by the staff. Nonsensical.

Most of all I wish they would stop making excuses and just admit they hate doing it. They've come up with 'it costs too much time', but of course, they're more popular than anything outside of Quick Looks, and they would never think about cancelling Quick Looks because they take too long to record. There's 'there's more important business during the day' which I'm baffled by. Patrick and Alex do the news, you have three editors and only one or two games played for review a week, and events and showcases don't happen every single day. Bah, whatever.

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Flaboere

Any word when the show section will be on the site?

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ventilaator

A new ER sounds like a really bad idea to me at this point, because the amount of bugging and pleading and begging that's been going on with it will just make it seem like they were forced into it, and everytime they get stuck in their game and film a slow episode, they will comment "YOU WANTED THIS PEOPLE"

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LiquidSwords said:

@Jimbo said:

Might do the same if this is the case. I can already see the bullshit comments when the ER doesn't live up to peoples expectations.

So ignore the community and enjoy the content? That's how it should be anyway.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drag said:
    @LiquidSwords said:

@Jimbo said:

So ignore the community and enjoy the content? That's how it should be anyway.
    Yeah, I won't read any comments the next time around (assuming there really is another ER).
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@atomic_dumpling: Yeah they straight up said it, it was all over Twitter.

As for the show... Major bummer.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Buscemi
    @TheHT: Dude! I see that comment every now and then and it scares the shit out of me! I'm thinking "So it's really true! FUCK!"... and then I understand that it isn't. 

EDIT: Oh, and what is the Variety Hour? Is it a Giant Bomb thing or a general PAX thing where developers talk about stuff?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Anwar said:

just like the staff, I wasn't watching it 'live'(as in waited for the next one to pop up), but didn't they mention that some people started to spoil all kind of crap in the comment section? that is extremely lame

Actually, not so much in the comments themselves, but a very bright lad send them a comic that outright spoiled the ending, which led to Jeff pretending he doesn't know it for the last thirty episodes or so. It was truly sad.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mnzy
    @Brodehouse said:

Endurance Run; most popular feature the site has ever had, cheaper and easier to edit than video reviews, events or interviews, and completely loathed by the staff. Nonsensical.

Most of all I wish they would stop making excuses and just admit they hate doing it. They've come up with 'it costs too much time', but of course, they're more popular than anything outside of Quick Looks, and they would never think about cancelling Quick Looks because they take too long to record. There's 'there's more important business during the day' which I'm baffled by. Patrick and Alex do the news, you have three editors and only one or two games played for review a week, and events and showcases don't happen every single day. Bah, whatever.

Is there proof that it is so popular? Quick Looks, articles and the wiki attracts people from everywhere. I can't imagine it having anywhere near the same amount of followers, especially as it goes on and you can't watch it without having seen 50 prior episodes.

The fans are enthusiastic and they are usually already members, that's for sure. But overall, I doubt it.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mcfart
    @mnzy said:
    @Brodehouse said:

Is there proof that it is so popular? Quick Looks, articles and the wiki attracts people from everywhere. I can't imagine it having anywhere near the same amount of followers, especially as it goes on and you can't watch it without having seen 50 prior episodes.  The fans are enthusiastic and they are usually already members, that's for sure. But overall, I doubt it.
    I'm sure some were attracted to the P4 ER, maybe cause they were interested in P4 or the high quality of the ER. I somehow doubt Deadly Premonition was extreamly popular past the first few episodes....I just see this announcement as a way to attract subscribers, and if the ER was good/interesting enough, I'd subscribe.

Also when's Brad leaving?
    Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sidekick-Trio

Is Brad actually leaving or is it just friendly teasing in the usual GB style of things?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.