Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Obsidian Entertainment

Company »

Obsidian is a California-based developer most famous for their PC RPGs. The studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2018.

Obsidian Kickstarter is now live

• 95 results
    iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By iceman228433

@rebgav: Good thing they won't need your money right.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By rynbeed

So, is it should I feel bad that because it's Obsidian and that they needed a kickstarter for their next thing I stopped caring... ? What I was hoping for was FO:4 with backing by Bethesda and their Skyrim engine....

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By WarlordPayne

@rebgav: Since they either worked on or created all of those games I don't see why it's so hard to believe that they could meld aspects of each into one game.

Hell, the combat isn't even that hard to do so the Icewind Dale claim doesn't seem far fetched, and they always have outstanding writing so the Planescape claim is more or less expected of them without them even having to mention it.

It pretty much comes down to whether or not they can create a huge, in depth world and how buggy the game will be.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By iceman228433

@WarlordPayne: Well the date they have listed on the kickstarter for release is in 2014 so they will have plenty of time.

mdnthrvst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By mdnthrvst

It's gonna be a well-written, fully immersive, broken piece of shit.

That is every Obsidian game at launch. No thanks.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By iceman228433

not even 24 hours sky's the limit on this one folks. It's fun just to watch the page and watch the money roll in.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By iceman228433

@rebgav: Just throwing this out there a the 20$ pledge comes with a steam version of the game.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@rynbeed said:

So, is it should I feel bad that because it's Obsidian and that they needed a kickstarter for their next thing I stopped caring... ? What I was hoping for was FO:4 with backing by Bethesda and their Skyrim engine....

I would have loved to see Obdisdian do Fallout 4, since it was clear they understood the series a lot more than Bethesda, but considering how badly they were screwed over with New Vegas (in regards to pay) and the fact that game is the main reason they have such a bad reputation for being a "bad developer" I think it's safe to say they'll stay far away from Bethesda from now on.

@rebgav said:

Sure, it just seems weird to say that they're going to meld the best aspects of three of the best RPGs of all time into one game with a small team, a year, and a million bucks. I appreciate the audacity but I'm skeptical about their chances of delivering on that particular pitch.

Bare in mind that they're not making the new Mass Effect here. It's going to be a very old school game, similar to what inXile are doing with Wasteland 2 and they already have a game engine (Dungeon Siege 3 was created very quickly by Obsidian by them from the ground up and was not a buggy mess.. it just wasn't a particularly interesting game). Also, the release date is estimated to be 2014.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By iceman228433

@WinterSnowblind: I have to imagine they are going to try to get a budget along the lines of Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, just glad they are keeping the pre rendered 2d backround's.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By iceman228433

Willing to bet Hardcore Dave puts down some Hardcore money on this one.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#61  Edited By AndrewB

They made turn-based. It was called Temple of Elemental Evil. No one bought it. Also, it's fricking hard.

I thought I'd already given Obsidian my "last chance" chance, but since I suddenly find myself with $20 pledged, I guess this is the real last time, for the final time.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Zlimness

I'm so backing this. Obsidian is goddamn awesome and I would love for them to make whatever they want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@AndrewB

They made turn-based. It was called Temple of Elemental Evil. No one bought it. Also, it's fricking hard.

I thought I'd already given Obsidian my "last chance" chance, but since I suddenly find myself with $20 pledged, I guess this is the real last time, for the final time.

I haven't actually played the game, I've played the actual D&D; tabletop campaign. If its a direct adaptation, the problem would be is there's no fucking story or drama to that campaign; it's some brutal fights and some actually kind of amusing trap rooms.

There's no reason why turn based would be any worse than real time. If its challenging, youre going to be pausing every 2 seconds anyway, what's the difference between that and turns?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Jimbo
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By AndrewB

@Brodehouse said:

@AndrewB

I haven't actually played the game, I've played the actual D&D; tabletop campaign. If its a direct adaptation, the problem would be is there's no fucking story or drama to that campaign; it's some brutal fights and some actually kind of amusing trap rooms. There's no reason why turn based would be any worse than real time. If its challenging, youre going to be pausing every 2 seconds anyway, what's the difference between that and turns?

Ehhh, there *is* a huge difference. You can kind/sorta change Infinity Engine/ D&D based games to be turn-based, but it's not quite the same as, say, Temple of Elemental Evil, where it's almost too great of a direct translation of the PNP style. I personally prefer the turn-based combat for maximum strategery.

From what little I've been able to get through, Temple of Elemental Evil, the game, seems like a faithful translation of the PNP adventure, down to the "no fucking story or drama" part and brutal fights. I've never made it past the first combat sequence with a group of humanoids, for what it's worth. They just trash me. Even the combat sequence before that, with toads that swallow your characters whole, is a nightmare to get through.

I should add that I'll be glad to see a game in the real-time style without the shackles of a D20 system.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#66  Edited By Chris2KLee

Drop my $20 almost right away, but didn't realize it was dated as a 2014 release. Totally cool to wait for it, but it was one of the moments where I thought "I could die before then couldn't I?"

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By Jimbo

The combat sounds like DA Origins, which was ok I suppose, just repetitive. I really liked DA 2's combat system (gambits, group combos etc.), but again it suffered from repetitive fights and a lack of options. Hopefully it will end up being something like that, but with more emphasis on positioning, the environment and variety.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By AlexW00d

So from when I read about this last night, to now getting home from work, it's almost made it. God damn.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#69  Edited By mrpandaman

If anyone has played Mount and Blade, the map from Obsidian looks like the one in M&B, just saying.

Anyways, I was hoping that this would be a Kickstarter for Alpha Protocol 2, but I'd support Obsidian, they have always been a few bad gameplay elements from making a fantastically great game and maybe this will be the one hopefully.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB I also prefer turn based, especially in the party RPG genre. I think real time should be left to action/RPG hyrbids where using the controller is the important part, not guessing how fast a character will move to the spot you ordered them to. Real time always results frustrating pathfinding errors and "I thought I sent the fighter to plug that choke point, but he spun around in place for ten seconds and then backed up when the enemies spilled through."

I'm sure if I played more Starcraft it would be no thing.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AndrewB

@Brodehouse said:

@AndrewB I also prefer turn based, especially in the party RPG genre. I think real time should be left to action/RPG hyrbids where using the controller is the important part, not guessing how fast a character will move to the spot you ordered them to. Real time always results frustrating pathfinding errors and "I thought I sent the fighter to plug that choke point, but he spun around in place for ten seconds and then backed up when the enemies spilled through." I'm sure if I played more Starcraft it would be no thing.

Pathfinding was the Infinity Engine nemesis. Let's hope Obsidian has a decent pathfinding engineer on staff. The implementation in the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine left as much to be desired as with Neverwinter Nights the First.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By cap123

I'll wait for confirmation it's coming to mac i think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Enough with the fucking videogame Kickstarters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok

Enough with the fucking videogame Kickstarters.

STOP HAVING FUN GUYS
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75  Edited By Animasta

fuck this kickstarter I hate those isometric RPGs :( now Obsidian has 2 games I don't give a shit about at all

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By 9cupsoftea

It's a little disappointing to see Obsidian - a company capable of doing pretty innovative things in new settings - going back and covering ground they've already covered. I guess that's one of the problems with kickstarters, you have to pander and appeal to people before you even start making a game.

I'm sure it'll be a great game though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@9cupsoftea

It's a little disappointing to see Obsidian - a company capable of doing pretty innovative things in new settings - going back and covering ground they've already covered. I guess that's one of the problems with kickstarters, you have to pander and appeal to people before you even start making a game.

Are you under the impression that you don't have to pander in order to get a major publisher to give you millions of dollars to make a product for them?
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By 9cupsoftea

@Brodehouse said:

@9cupsoftea

Are you under the impression that you don't have to pander in order to get a major publisher to give you millions of dollars to make a product for them?

You're right, and that's disappointing too.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By falling_fast

can't wait for paypal donations to start.

take my fucking money

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#80  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@AndrewB said:

I bought it, wrote about it, gifted two copies to two of the most prolific bloggers on this website, set them against each other in a blogging battle for the ages and may or may not have gifted a few other copies to people when it was on sale (like this weekend, for example). That game is preeeety goooood and the turn-based combat is the single best part about it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By AndrewB

@ArbitraryWater: No argument there. I love the art style and turn-based combat. I just think it's waaaaaaaay too hard for the single player gamer.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By probablytuna

Back for $20. Go Obsidian!

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FateOfNever

I would be considerably more into this if the cloth map wasn't at the 140$ mark. Seriously, 140$ for my cloth map? Which used to just come in box with standard versions of the game? I now feel both old and cheated...

That said, I may very well end up dropping money on this anyway, I just don't know that I can justify 140$ for my love of cloth maps :(

Also, since people are talking about it, I actually would like to see them tackle a turn based game like ToEE again. I really enjoyed the combat in ToEE, but, yeah, the absolute lack of any story to care about in that game is just so painful. If they toned down the difficulty some and gave it more story, I think a turn based game would be delightful. Still look forward to a real time rpg from them though. Maybe one day I'll even play one of their infinity engine games to completion!

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By iceman228433

They are passed the 1 million mark, so close now.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Terramagi

20k to go!

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By iceman228433

10k to go!

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By iceman228433

It's over 1.1 mill down, now lets just see were this bad boys ends up.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ShadowConqueror

It's awesome that it got funded so quickly. Hopefully they'll say what else they can add with additional money.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By SlightConfuse

funded so quickly glad to see it . wonder how mch they will get

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By iceman228433

It sounds like they are going to put updated goals soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Obsidian making a game that's not a sequel or based on an existing franchise!? Blasphemy! Just joking I know Alpha Protocol was original (and not that bad). I'm always up for an obsidian adventure even in all the different varieties of broken they come in.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#92  Edited By Tennmuerti

Fucking sweet. Almost in a single day.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BlackLagoon

Josh Sawyer's already delivered on their first Kickstarter reward :)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94  Edited By Animasta

josh sawyer is a badass singer

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Terramagi

I think they're stalling a little bit with the stretch goals, because they literally couldn't comprehend getting 1.1 million dollars in 1 day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.