Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nioh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2017

A historical action game loosely based on the story of English samurai William Adams, as he helps slay the yokai that infest Sengoku-era Japan while hunting down a malicious alchemist.

First Game I Might Buy a PS4 to play

AgentZigzag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AgentZigzag

I've never felt like there was much point in buying one.

I managed to save a couple thousand quids and them ploughed them all into a PC. Apart from some Windows 10 weirdness, I'm generally happy with my 2650 x 1440, GTX980 fueled monster and the rare exclusives on PS4 (Bloodborne) and XBox (uh... Halo? I guess) haven't so much as raised an eyebrow on my freckly face in the direction of my nearsest computer game emporium (Tesco).

But here's Nioh.

As Brad said on the May 3rd Bombcast, this is exactly the kind of game I had been hoping someone would make. A tense, deliberate samurai-themed combat game with a healthy dose of Dark Souls sensibility but faster and maybe just a little bit less miserable.

Not to pre-judge Nioh... it might turn out to be shit but this is the first game in a while I've been disappointed in not coming to PC, at least for the foreseeable future.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ivdamke

@agentzigzag: Did you play the demo? Because what was there was fantastic. Yea there's plenty of chances for a full game to fuck it up, but if there's just more of what was in the demo then it's sure to be a good game.

EDIT: I only just realized how stupid it is to ask someone who is talking about buying a PS4 whether they played the demo for a PS4 exclusive game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BoOzak

The game felt great even in alpha so yeah go for it. Maybe wait for the PS Neo though as it could support it. As for the tone there seems to be some sort of village in each region so maybe you'll be able to talk to characters and get quests etc. I think that would be a nice departure from the souls games. (the places you go in the demo are listed as "main missions" so i'm guessing there are side missions of some sort)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@boozak said:

The game felt great even in alpha so yeah go for it. Maybe wait for the PS Neo though as it could support it.

Don't you mean the PS Niho?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OurSin_360

Honestly its ok but i wouldnt buy a system for it at all. The souls combat kinda detracts a bit from it as its not nearly as polished, and the world isnt as interesting so far so the lack of story just makes it feel soley like a combat game. Bloodborne is a much better game and doesn't run ane look like a ps3 game. Maybe itll be better on the neo? I dont know, but yea i wouldnt recommend a ps4 just for this.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Nioh's going to be a pretty good exclusive, of course Bloodborne is a shitload better but that's okay. People should tamper their expectations, the game will basically be those first two levels done like 20-30 times (meaning 40-60 levels) with marginal variance, might be some cool bosses or enemies along the way but don't expect anything particularly revelatory.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nioh isn't a first-party game and as far as I know isn't being funded by Sony. Koei has been more open about publishing on the PC in the past few years. Personally I would wait.

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Alpha was literally the best game I've ever played. As an Alpha. The best.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@squidking: That you ever played? I don't want to be a jerk and these conversations always end up being a battle of dictionary definitions for "subjective taste" but seriously out of all the games you have ever experienced the demo for Nioh trumped them all?

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I think that was pretty clear in my post. Yes. I've been playing games since Empire Strikes Back on the Atari, and Nioh is the best I've played. The gameplay loop was perfect, replayability was incredible, and the tone was above everything I've ever seen. I liked the Nioh alpha so much I started playing Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.