Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Which versions of MGS2 and 3 should Drew play in Metal Gear Scanlon?

• 138 results
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Poll Which versions of MGS2 and 3 should Drew play in Metal Gear Scanlon? (829 votes)

PS2 versions of Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater. It has to be as pure as possible! 10%
    PS2 versions of Substance and Subsistence. They're still the definitive versions. 17%
    The HD Collection versions. I don't want to watch SD video. 72%

For those who don't know, there's actually a handful of differences between the various editions of MGS2 and 3. As a huge fan of Metal Gear, I want Drew to have what I feel is the best experience with each game possible, which isn't the HD Collection versions. Curious how other people feel, I'm also gonna list the differences between each version so everyone can make the best choice possible. Some of the stuff is probably irrelevant (like the VR Missions in 2) but I figured I'd include them anyways.

WARNING, MAJOR AND MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

2: Sons of Liberty - PS2

• Thermal Goggles vision is completely red, like it appears in MGS1.
    • None of the extras added to Substance (Obviously)
    • Confirm is Circle, Cancel is X
    • 60 fps/4:3/SD

2: Substance - PS2

• Thermal Goggles are more realistic, using several colors to denote heat.
    • Some minor dialogue changes in various spots
    • Some minor new cutscenes added
    • + VR Missions added
    • + Snake Tales added
    • + Boss Rush added
    • + Casting Theater added
    • + RAD AS HELL SKATEBOARDING MINIGAME
    • 60 fps/4:3/SD

2 - HD Collection - PS3/360

• Based on Substance for PS2 but with various differences
    • - Minor graphical inaccuracies, mainly relating to 2D effects like lightning
    • - Minor gameplay inaccuracies
    • New textures added to replace ones that were originally illegible, such as doors now saying "Metal Gear 2 Guns of Patriots
    • Magazine pictures changed to show MGS4, Peace Walker and HD Collection instead of 2 and 3
    • Rerecorded dialogue when explaining controls
    • - Skateboarding Minigame removed
    • Confirm is X, Cancel is Circle
    • + 60 fps/16:9/HD

3: Snake Eater - PS2

• Overhead camera only
    • Snake vs Monkey minigame + unlockable banana camo and Monkey Mask
    • Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls
    • Downloadable camoflouge (downloads no longer available)
    • None of the extras from Subsistence (Obviously)
    • 30 fps/4:3/SD

3: Subsistence - PS2

• + Added option for either overhead camera or original fixed camera
    • Snake vs Monkey minigame + unlockable banana camo and Monkey Mask
    • + New levels added to Snake vs Monkey
    • Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls
    • + Downloadable camoflouge all on disk, must be installed to memory card from Disc 2
    • + Several new camoflouges added
    • + Boss Rush added
    • + Secret Theater added
    • 30 fps/4:3/SD

3: HD Collection - PS3/360

• Based on Subsistence, but with various differences
    • - Minor graphical inaccuracies, mainly relating to 2D effects like lightning
    • - Minor gameplay inaccuracies
    • - Snake Eater theme is several seconds out of sync with the visuals during the titlecard sequence
    • - Snake always has an eyepatch on the titlescreen, rather than it being added after losing his eye in the story
    • New textures added to replace ones that were originally illegible, such as Snake's helmet in the intro now saying "Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater"
    • Magazine pictures changed to show MGS4, Peace Walker and HD Collection instead of 2 and 3
    • Rerecorded dialogue when explaining controls
    • - Snake vs Monkey minigame and unlockables removed
    • - Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls removed
    • Downloadable camoflouge is available through the camo menu, but only unlocked after beating the game
    • - Boss Rush removed
    • - Secret Theater removed
    • Confirm is X, Cancel is Circle
    • + 60 fps/16:9/HD
     • 
    hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By hassun

@hoodcommando: That's what Subsistence is for.

If anything is going to make Dan choose the HD version it'll probably be framerate related. Which I suppose is fair, it's the biggest advantage the HD rerelease has over Subsistence. But to me the things they took out make it an unacceptable version.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By peritus

I clicked HD like an idiot, before reading the actual differences :-(

I want to change my vote to Sub's!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I vote the originals. It would be nice to see Drews reactions to the series as it evolved.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I say play the HD editions, but get Drew to play some skateboarding/Ape Escape when he needs a break.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

SUBS OR BUST.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Have they confirmed that they'll be playing more than just the first game? I know Dan would like to, but I was under the assumption that he was just trying to get Drew to dip his feet into the series and to see if he would be interested. I mean, if they play 2 and 3, does that mean they have to play 4, Peace Walker, Portable Ops, and so on?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: He said on Gaf that they are playing the HD versions of 2 and 3. I highly doubt they'll play PW because Dan thinks it sucks and Portable Ops just sucks (also Kojima wasn't involved in Portable Ops).

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Glad to see they're going HD. The framerate of the original MGS3 almost ruined the game for me.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#109  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Surprised by the responses now that I've seen all versions this last week.

The originals are noticably better. Those "small details" really add up and in the case of MGS2 it is a bit tragic, conidering what a tech marvel that game was when it came out, for it to be stripped down later.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By mackgyver

It has to be as pure as possible. That's why when you want to play N64 games for example, the crew doesn't bust out an emulator to make it look better. Sure they've used a Retron5 because some older consoles in working condition are becoming harder and harder to find. But the Retron5 doesn't upscale anything to make things look better. It gives you some options for that but never use them.

Like others have said, it has to be in its original form, without add-ons, DLC, and HD remakes.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Legion_

Is Guy Savage the dream he can have after being captured? If so, it's fucking terrible that it isn't included in the HD version. One hell of a memorable sequence.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teoball: That kinda pisses me off right there, seems really lazy for them to leave that.

championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will not allow Drew and Dan to miss out on Snake vs Monkey

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering they'll play through the story once and that's it - absolutely the HD versions. If they really wanna dabble with the easter eggs and unlockables, just bring in a Subsistence version as well with an advanced savegame on a memory card and go crazy from there.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was prettttttty heavily hinted in the latest Demo Derby that the HD version is the one they want to go for.

If the HD remakes were just the originals running in HD, I'd be 100% for em, but if they omit content it's hard to argue with the originals.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

I would never recommend The Twin Snakes to anyone unless they have the WORST taste imaginable (like @mooseymcman).

I have played all of the main Metal Gear Solid games (1-4). I have only ever played 1 in the form of Twin Snakes. :O

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@melvargh said:

@hassun said:

I would never recommend The Twin Snakes to anyone unless they have the WORST taste imaginable (like @mooseymcman).

I have played all of the main Metal Gear Solid games (1-4). I have only ever played 1 in the form of Twin Snakes. :O

Same here. Twin Snakes is not a bad game. The newer mechanics make the game less of a challenge in some respects, like the first-person aiming and being able to hang on and drop from ledges, but I'd say that it's still an improvement over the original PS1 version.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play Substance on PS2 cause Skateboarding. 3 It doesn't really matter, but I'd prefer something in 4:3 so we could see Dan and Drew on the sides of the screen without covering the actual game.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By hassun

@melvargh: The terrible, ill-fitting cutscenes alone are already reason enough to flush it down the toilet. Leave that stuff in Devil May Cry 3 where it belongs.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By firecracker22

If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure that MGS2 Substance is the same exact game as the original release (Sons of Liberty), the single player is untouched I think. Though, I think they might have added Euro difficulty, but the additions were all extras along with VR Missions. And the HD Collection is just Substance with an HD makeover.

And it's completely unfair to ask anybody to have to play Snake Eater with that fixed camera. Subsistence including the new camera is the best way to play that game. That alone disqualifies the original Snake Eater release for me. The fixed camera caused more headaches than it was worth in the original release.

HD Collection is the way to go with Snake Eater as well, since it's just Subsistence with an HD makeover. And truthfully, that game looks amazingly beautiful as well with the HD makeover. I thought it was amazing how good a game that old wound up looking in the HD Collection.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firecracker22: Looking at what was lost from Subsistence in the transition to HD I would disagree with the HD collection being the way to go.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HD for sure, just finished 2 again on the collection last week, and i'm at The Fury in 3 and I can't tell any differences that would matter. But I would like Drew to play 3 in the original fixed camera, the free camera makes the game feel pretty different in key ways. Also considering he's playing the psn version of MGS1 there's no real expectation of complete purity in this video series.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Shindig

What Drew doesn't know won't hurt him. Also, how would anyone feel about Dan and Drew doing Peace Walker co-op?

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The PS2 version (does not matter which) - otherwise GB might just as well play retro games on emulators with smoothing filters.

Ask yourself:
    Ask yourself: "Is this the future I want?"

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Can anyone tell me how close to the end Drew and Dan are to the first one? Want to watch it before I jump into the HD collection for myself as I don't feel I can go back and play it.

Thanks.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supersambo: They're coming right up on the end. The next episode should be the finale.

FattyLobotnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With how many times they've rereleased the HD versions I'd expect them to be at least faithful to the originals :/

I say just show off the omitted content in an extra episode.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@shindig said:

What Drew doesn't know won't hurt him. Also, how would anyone feel about Dan and Drew doing Peace Walker co-op?

As much lore as Peacewalker adds I personally think it's a little too grindy to be played on a segment like this. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it requires resource collection which in turn means repeating some missions over and over. It's not a straight A-to-B type of game like the rest of the series.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@firecracker22: Looking at what was lost from Subsistence in the transition to HD I would disagree with the HD collection being the way to go.

Yeah, I was looking at some of the things posted a few pages ago. But, I dunno man...it really does look beautiful in that HD Collection. I could be convinced on MGS2, though.

I do think we can all agree on the original Snake Eater not being the one to go with, because of that fixed camera. Subsistence or HD Collection are the only two options.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@shindig said:

As much lore as Peacewalker adds I personally think it's a little too grindy to be played on a segment like this. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it requires resource collection which in turn means repeating some missions over and over. It's not a straight A-to-B type of game like the rest of the series.

Yeah, I agree. Peace Walker is such a different MGS games, and is broken up in bite sized chunks (it was, after all, originally a PSP game) that it might not hold up as well to something like this. The design of the game is very unlike any of the console MGS games.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firecracker22: Oh yeah definitely Subsistence. That being said I loved the original MGS3 as well and finished the game no problem. But the Subsistence release is just phenomenal. So much content + that camera.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#134  Edited By crithon

simple answer, any version with "Guy Savage", right stick camera controls and the J Idols are clearer in the original PS2 low quality texture work. I wish there was an explanation of that one idol fuzzy texture in the Grozny Grad locker room.

I'm gonna throw this out there, 3ds does have crotch walk, and you can get in closer on enemies without using the dpad to walk ;)

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the ever living shit out of the original Sons of Liberty, so I'd love to see a different version of it. It would be cool to see what has changed. But I'm not complaining either way. I'm just super excited to see it.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the case of MGS3, I think fps trumps all extra content and other misfortunes; it'll help the actual playing of the game.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firecracker22: Despite this, Peace Walker is still detrimental to the story. Drew has to play it at some point even if it's not on Metal Gear Scanlon. And if it is they can take liberties and cut-out/fast-forward through anything that's too grindy.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless the HD versions are straight broken, I say they play the most recent and best performing one. I'm sure any cut stuff and missing things will be brought up by Dan as "a fun easter egg". Just like watching Meryl strip in MGS1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.