Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Which versions of MGS2 and 3 should Drew play in Metal Gear Scanlon?

• 138 results
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Poll Which versions of MGS2 and 3 should Drew play in Metal Gear Scanlon? (829 votes)

PS2 versions of Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater. It has to be as pure as possible! 10%
    PS2 versions of Substance and Subsistence. They're still the definitive versions. 17%
    The HD Collection versions. I don't want to watch SD video. 72%

For those who don't know, there's actually a handful of differences between the various editions of MGS2 and 3. As a huge fan of Metal Gear, I want Drew to have what I feel is the best experience with each game possible, which isn't the HD Collection versions. Curious how other people feel, I'm also gonna list the differences between each version so everyone can make the best choice possible. Some of the stuff is probably irrelevant (like the VR Missions in 2) but I figured I'd include them anyways.

WARNING, MAJOR AND MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

2: Sons of Liberty - PS2

• Thermal Goggles vision is completely red, like it appears in MGS1.
    • None of the extras added to Substance (Obviously)
    • Confirm is Circle, Cancel is X
    • 60 fps/4:3/SD

2: Substance - PS2

• Thermal Goggles are more realistic, using several colors to denote heat.
    • Some minor dialogue changes in various spots
    • Some minor new cutscenes added
    • + VR Missions added
    • + Snake Tales added
    • + Boss Rush added
    • + Casting Theater added
    • + RAD AS HELL SKATEBOARDING MINIGAME
    • 60 fps/4:3/SD

2 - HD Collection - PS3/360

• Based on Substance for PS2 but with various differences
    • - Minor graphical inaccuracies, mainly relating to 2D effects like lightning
    • - Minor gameplay inaccuracies
    • New textures added to replace ones that were originally illegible, such as doors now saying "Metal Gear 2 Guns of Patriots
    • Magazine pictures changed to show MGS4, Peace Walker and HD Collection instead of 2 and 3
    • Rerecorded dialogue when explaining controls
    • - Skateboarding Minigame removed
    • Confirm is X, Cancel is Circle
    • + 60 fps/16:9/HD

3: Snake Eater - PS2

• Overhead camera only
    • Snake vs Monkey minigame + unlockable banana camo and Monkey Mask
    • Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls
    • Downloadable camoflouge (downloads no longer available)
    • None of the extras from Subsistence (Obviously)
    • 30 fps/4:3/SD

3: Subsistence - PS2

• + Added option for either overhead camera or original fixed camera
    • Snake vs Monkey minigame + unlockable banana camo and Monkey Mask
    • + New levels added to Snake vs Monkey
    • Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls
    • + Downloadable camoflouge all on disk, must be installed to memory card from Disc 2
    • + Several new camoflouges added
    • + Boss Rush added
    • + Secret Theater added
    • 30 fps/4:3/SD

3: HD Collection - PS3/360

• Based on Subsistence, but with various differences
    • - Snake Eater theme is several seconds out of sync with the visuals during the titlecard sequence
    • - Snake always has an eyepatch on the titlescreen, rather than it being added after losing his eye in the story
    • New textures added to replace ones that were originally illegible, such as Snake's helmet in the intro now saying "Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater"
    • Magazine pictures changed to show MGS4, Peace Walker and HD Collection instead of 2 and 3
    • Rerecorded dialogue when explaining controls
    • - Snake vs Monkey minigame and unlockables removed
    • - Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls removed
    • Downloadable camoflouge is available through the camo menu, but only unlocked after beating the game
    • - Boss Rush removed
    • - Secret Theater removed
    • + 60 fps/16:9/HD
     • 
    GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

As long as someone tells Drew that sometimes the original camera works better in certain rooms, they can play whatever version. That 3D camera can often make shit way harder than it seems at first. The OG one is much higher up and can "see through walls" in a way the new camera can't.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

HD. I played a couple of hours of 2 and 3 and didn't really notice any problems. When the differences are listed side by side they seem pretty noticeable, but they don't change those games in any meaningful way. There seems to be so much talk of Drew finishing later games in the series... He hasn't even finished the first yet!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All originals. No remasters.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Corevi
    @TechnoSyndrome said:
    Loading Video...

SNAKEBOARDING!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@mbdoeden said:

FUCK THIS.

Honestly, I voted HD collection but seeing how much they changed now I'm torn. I would personally show friends the original version intended for the time it was released.

Yeah same here. I voted for the HD collection before realizing this bullshit. Also 16:9 would be a downgrade if we don't get to see the Dan/Drew cams on each side.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By fattony12000

HD.

Check out the other stuff in the updated PS2 versions, sure. But the main game should be played using the HD versions.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Whoops, is there no way to edit a poll?

That's irritating, I was going to say you really need to spoiler tag the OP for people who are watching this series the first time.

I mean, I would like to understand more what the differences are, but I also want to experience the stories unspoilt!

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Dan you gotta make Drew look at some of the Secret Theatre afterwards. A more perfect example of Kojima's hilarious nature there has never been.

Dat Quick Ending.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

@TechnoSyndrome said:

Whoops, is there no way to edit a poll?

That's irritating, I was going to say you really need to spoiler tag the OP for people who are watching this series the first time.

I mean, I would like to understand more what the differences are, but I also want to experience the stories unspoilt!

The only spoiler in there is that Big Boss loses an eye which isn't really a spoiler anymore since he's had an eyepatch on in all the promo material for PW and MGS5.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Barrock

Why did they remove the Snake's Nightmare thing?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Corevi
    @barrock said:

Because it ran on a completely different engine that wasn't worth the effort to get working on PS360.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really like the HD collection versions, For capturing etc it would probably be easier for them on the PS3.

Of the "missing" content from the HD Collection, Guy Savage is the one I'd really like to see them react to and talk about. The Mini stuff is interesting and cool, but not really that important and they would probably only spend 5 minutes messing around with them anyway.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By hassun

I would be fine with the PS2 versions of Substance and Subsistence.

I don't understand the "I don't want SD video" line, it makes no sense. They are playing the PSX version of Metal Gear Solid 1 as well (even if they are playing it on a PS3) and it looks great.

MGS1 - PSX version

MGS2 Substance - PS2 version (You bet your ass there will be skating.)

MGS3 Subsistence - PS2 version (It looks like they cut a whole bunch of awesome stuff out of the HD version.)

MGS4 - PS3 version

For practical reasons I could see them playing Peace Walker on a console. (if they even play it at all)

Ground Zeroes and MGSV on current gen consoles

Revengeance on PC

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

The reason for playing the original PS1 MGS is purely because the remake is so different. The HD remakes of 2 and 3 are pretty good representations of what those games are, the differences are too minor to worry about in my opinion.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

I would be fine with the PS2 versions of Substance and Subsistence.

I don't understand the "I don't want SD video" line, it makes no sense. They are playing the PSX version of Metal Gear Solid 1 as well (even if they are playing it on a PS3) and it looks great.

I think it's because there's no other option. Right now, it's a choice between the original PSX Metal Gear Solid or the Gamecube The Twins Snakes. But for Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater, there are enhanced versions of these that remain mostly true to its original forms. In that sense, to many people, it might not make sense for Drew and Dan to choose the PS2 versions of these two games over the PS3 and 360 versions.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By hassun

@sungahymn:

3: HD Collection - PS3/360

• - Snake Eater theme is several seconds out of sync with the visuals during the titlecard sequence
    • - Snake always has an eyepatch on the titlescreen, rather than it being added after losing his eye in the story
    • - Snake vs Monkey minigame and unlockables removed
    • - Guy Savage (Snake's Nightmare) easter egg and related cutscenes/radio calls removed
    • - Boss Rush removed
    • - Secret Theater removed

This is not "minor" anymore, it's bad. As for MGS1, it also had a PC release. I would never recommend The Twin Snakes to anyone unless they have the WORST taste imaginable (like @mooseymcman).

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hassun: Why thank you for your kind words, kind sir.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Man after seeing that clip of the final confrontation in MGS3 HD (plus some of the differences posted earlier), not only do I wish I could change my vote from HD to SD, I wish I could refund my purchase of the HD collection on PSN recently. I had no idea there'd be such...weird stuff going on, I thought it'd just be pretty.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: In the end, I think it'll all depend on whether Drew and Dan wants the purest experience possible or simply superior graphics. People like me lean toward the latter because we always want better pictures in front of us. For you, the experience and the nostalgia of the original (and the Substance and Subsistence versions) are a large part of your enjoyment for these games.

I wonder which one they'll pick though.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By hassun

@mooseymcman: I'm pretty sure that breaks some ethics rules or something. Abuse of power!

@sungahymn: Nostalgia has pretty much 0 effect on me. The changes they made to the actual game are just too severe. The stream itself will still be HD as well. Just like it is now. And it will look fine.

Gameplay > Graphics all day every day.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hassun: I haven't the slightest clue as to what you are talking about, kind sir. All I know is that Twin Snakes is the true and best way to experience Metal Gear Solid, just like how the HD versions of MGS2 and MGS3 are probably the ideal ways to play those games too.

Actually, Twin Snakes should get an HD re-release too. I'd buy that on Wii U.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@TechnoSyndrome said:
    Loading Video...

SNAKEBOARDING!

I feel like I shouldn't like that song NEARLY as much as I do. But goddammit, I love that remix so much.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By hassun

In fact I think we should make sure @danryckert knows about all these changes they made to the HD versions of MGS2 and MGS3. I suspect that, if he's aware of them, he will wholeheartedly choose the PS2 versions of Substance and Subsistence.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Well the effort that would go into setting up a PS2 just makes it seem not worth it just so that the visuals look as originally intended. It looks like the main loss is the extra mini-games which I guess is a shame but personally I would prefer if they just played each of the core games. If they go for the PS2 versions it would be insane if they didn't play Subsistence over vanilla Snake Eater.

While I get people want him to experience this like many did back in the day, the fact is that this isn't 2001 it's 2014, and it will likely be 2015 by the time they make it all the way to Snake Eater. The HD collection, at least for me, let me experience the games in a way that let me enjoy them without dealing with a lot of the negatives. By having the game look good and run well, I could focus on experiencing the actual game, instead of being distracted by graphical problems. And I was overjoyed when I found I could go back with circle and confirm with X. I have to say that HD is the way to go.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

most of the negatives for the HD collection are very trivial. Go for the HD collection, there's nothing at all wrong with it.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dan's confirmed on NeoGAF that they're going to play the HD Collection.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe423 said:

:(

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

S'alright. You can still slowly put your gun down using the analogue face buttons on a dual shock 3.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@joe423 said:

:(

Hey, on the plus side - MGScanlon 2 & 3 are 100% happening!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@shindig: Yeah but you can't do this on a Dual Shock 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5XVH6i3_r0

@joe423: I am pretty excited about that. In the end the differences amount to a fraction of the total series length, but I really would have enjoyed Drew's surprise when a straight up different game came up when he loaded his save.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear you can do it on the DS3 but the biting point is weirder. I did it once.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you misread my post.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure did. I've started on 2 and forgot about the 320 page essay you can read on Shadow Moses. And a review of said essay.

Kojima never wanted out of this series, did he?

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

The HD versions also don't have the pressure sensitive face buttons, which MGS2/3 use for various things (Gently releasing the Square button allowing you to put down your weapon without firing comes to mind).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

He needs to play the HD versions, no debate in my opinion. There's no reason other than "He needs to experience it like it was", which I think is dumb since the games are the same for all intents and purposes.

The HD version doesn't feature the Guy Savage sequence from MGS3.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

No option for the OG Xbox version? LOL

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@eder: Xbox port of MGS2, then the 3DS version of MGS3. And then instead of MGS4 they play that iPhone touch shooter that retells the MGS4 story through text screens.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The HD versions also don't have the pressure sensitive face buttons, which MGS2/3 use for various things (Gently releasing the Square button allowing you to put down your weapon without firing comes to mind).

What? Yes they do.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Either the HD versions of Substance/Subsistence. In the case of MGS3 it definitely needs to be Subsistence/HD.

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#90  Edited By Jagged85

The PS2 versions look better on a CRT television than the HD versions do on a HDTV, IMO, so my choice would be Substance/Subsistence for the PS2 on a CRT.

FattyLobotnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why was the dream sequence even removed? I haven't played it but that sounds really pointless.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow I never even realized there were changes like this. I played all these for the first time in the Legacy Collection.

That skateboarding/Snake vs Monkey stuff looks crazy as hell.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the features removed or the various visual differences are that dramatic so I'm absolutely fine with the HD versions.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Dan_CiTi

HD Collection, they will really only play the main game and those are great at that. Also, Substance & Subsistence no matter what. And the HD versions look sharper but it is not a Twin Snakes scenario, its just a port with some cleaned up graphics.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why was the dream sequence even removed? I haven't played it but that sounds really pointless.

@barrock said:

Because it ran on a completely different engine that wasn't worth the effort to get working on PS360.

feive_vz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went back and played through 2&3 in the HD Collection last year and they were fantastic. I really hope they do go on and play at least MGS2 -- Robot Cambell blew my mind the first time I saw it. It was only last year when I went back solely to focus on the story that I came to some sort of understanding as to what had been going on.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHAT. Snakes nightmare and the secret theater are gone in the he version? That's a fucking travesty. Those were some of my favorite extras ever.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

@dezztroy: The Xbox 360 doesn't have analog buttons so that version certainly doesn't. Reading about it, though, it appears they came up with alternate controls so it's all OK.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

In fact I think we should make sure @danryckert knows about all these changes they made to the HD versions of MGS2 and MGS3. I suspect that, if he's aware of them, he will wholeheartedly choose the PS2 versions of Substance and Subsistence.

I doubt that very much. I don't think he will care at all.

HD is the way to go. MGS 3 must definitely not be played in its original form, the over head camera is a buzzkill.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.