Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

"Metal Gear Scanlon" Its Happening!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Jesus_Phish
    No Caption Provided

So excited

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i'm gonna play mgs in preparation at least until i get to the psycho mantis fight and can't figure out how to change controller ports on a ps3

They've accounted for people who don't want to switch ports. You can also destroy the bust with straps on its face in the upper left corner of the room and that'll make Mantis vulnerable.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#103  Edited By Bollard

This series is so perfect for me I can't believe it. Everything I have seen about MGSV looks so stupid I might just buy it, and I've never played an MGS game before. So having Drew and Dan play them for me and let me absorb all the ridiculous cutscenes? Beautiful!

EDIT: All the people crying that this is an ER under a different name are crazy. An ER is a commitment, to put a video out every day. This is making no such commitment, so it cannot be an ER. End of story.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Heycalvero

It's been way too many years, but I remember MGS 1 being short as hell, at least on the second playthrough. Can't remember how long it usually takes on the first one though. Subsequent ones took me longer for sure.

I'm curious to listen to Dan trying to make the plot sound like something remotely well written. In that regard, can't wait for the final hours of MGS 2. If I learned anything by the end of MGS 4 is that the MGS series is a lot more fun once you accept that it's 100% anime craziness and then some.

God, this series has some rad scenes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
    deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they planning on playing through the whole series?

Avatar image for deactivated-616d38c07628a
    deactivated-616d38c07628a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awww yeah

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose I'll watch this for my love of Drew and MGS.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@heycalvero: the plot is a masterpiece compared to most game writing

Avatar image for commander_crichton
    Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

All the people crying that this is an ER under a different name are crazy. An ER is a commitment, to put a video out every day. This is making no such commitment, so it cannot be an ER. End of story.

I personally consider it an ER under a different name because I don't find the rate at which the videos come out to be the defining characteristic of an ER. Members of the crew getting together to make a video series where they play through a game from start to finish is an ER to me.
    I think it's a great way to get people to purchase a premium membership, they've certainly got me thinking about getting one. I don't mean to sound negative so sorry if I come off that way, it's just that my definition of an ER is much more looser than yours.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#110  Edited By fattony12000
    Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Sir, I forgot where my crawl button is, Sir!"

Alright, already sold on this feature.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking:

@bollard said:

All the people crying that this is an ER under a different name are crazy. An ER is a commitment, to put a video out every day. This is making no such commitment, so it cannot be an ER. End of story.

I personally consider it an ER under a different name because I don't find the rate at which the videos come out to be the defining characteristic of an ER. Members of the crew getting together to make a video series where they play through a game from start to finish is an ER to me.

I think it's a great way to get people to purchase a premium membership, they've certainly got me thinking about getting one. I don't mean to sound negative so sorry if I come off that way, it's just that my definition of an ER is much more looser than yours.

Even if it was called an ER, I'm not sure what makes people think they couldn't make it premium.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By splodge

It really is worth just dropping 5 bucks for a month of premium. You can download all the old premium stuff you never saw, which there is loads. It's very handy if you are on a budget.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#117 MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't understand the endurance run comparisons. The original MGS is far too short to be an ER game. It'd be over in less than two weeks if they did daily episodes.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: Back when premium came out they said something along the lines, "we'll never take anything away, no existing features will be behind a pay wall."

I'd rather them just go back on that and explain the realities of the situation than use semantics to get around it.

Still love the site, my concern here is the content potential new subscribers are not getting.

Existence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm unbelievably excited about this. Dan+Drew is a great combo- they play off each other really well. I wouldn't have expected that.

This might make me play through MGS again.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

@corvak: Back when premium came out they said something along the lines, "we'll never take anything away, no existing features will be behind a pay wall."

I'd rather them just go back on that and explain the realities of the situation than use semantics to get around it.

So do you think this should have already happened back when they were playing Random PC Games to the finish? Demon's Souls?

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

So do you think this should have already happened back when they were playing Random PC Games to the finish? Demon's Souls?

The only thing separating an endurance run from every other lets play on the internet is that they put up a video every day. No one else does that. They did it with chrono trigger, with deadly premonition, and with persona. Any other play through was a weekly feature.

There is a huge difference in time commitment. An ER is a very different thing.

I understand the frustration of not being able to watch content because it is behind the pay wall, but that is why premium subscriptions exist. It is a business after all.

5 dollars will unlock all premium features, past and present, for a month. You can get all the old stuff. If you wait a month or so, you will prob have about 5 - 10 episodes of this feature built up also. It is not a lot of money and it is way cheaper than 50 bucks.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bollard said:

It wouldn't really be an "Endurance" Run if they weren't subjected to it every day. That's the "Endure" part. This is just them playing through a game, the exact same way Brad played through Demon's Souls and Devil May Cry.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: I don't know, to me the ER is them playing a game start to finish, not the time frame they did it.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

@splodge: I don't know, to me the ER is them playing a game start to finish, not the time frame they did it.

But you might as well call that a standard lets play then. The only defining characteristic that separates it from every other lets play, is the daily video. Theres a big difference between 5 videos a week and 1.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, might be time again to slap on the gold metal. Premium content is on the up and up these days.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#126  Edited By GunstarRed

Dan should quiz Drew on what he has learned about Metal Gear every few episodes just to make sure he remembers what is happening.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By hatking

@splodge said:

@hatking said:

But you might as well call that a standard lets play then. The only defining characteristic that separates it from every other lets play, is the daily video. Theres a big difference between 5 videos a week and 1.

We're talking in terms of content on the site, not the internet wide though. That's kind of the point, they said they would not charge for existing content. If you're saying them making multiple videos a game from start to finish is closer to a Quick Look than an Endurance Run, then maybe I'm missing something. Keep in mind the idea of the Endurance Run was initially them playing a game that they had missed and wouldn't have time to play on their own. This seems right there, to me.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By splodge

@hatking said:

@splodge said:

@hatking said:

We're talking in terms of content on the site, not the internet wide though. That's kind of the point, they said they would not charge for existing content. If you're saying them making multiple videos a game from start to finish is closer to a Quick Look than an Endurance Run, then maybe I'm missing something. Keep in mind the idea of the Endurance Run was initially them playing a game that they had missed and wouldn't have time to play on their own. This seems right there, to me.

They get to define what is an ER and what is not though. They produce the content.

To them, an ER is making a video every single day until the game is done. Anything else can be whatever they like.

I understand where you are coming from, but I still think there is a huge difference between 5 a week and 1 a week. It is a different kind of feature, hence it has a different name.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hype levels beyond capacity. Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite franchises. I've played 2, 3, and 4 multiple times. I have action figures, art books the whole shebang... And despite all that I've never played the first game. Crazy I know, I may have to pull out my unopened copy and play along with the guys.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#130  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Well that was awesome!

Wonder if it'll be an episode every day or what. I hope so. Wonder how pacing will pan out for the episodes with all the cutscenes? - first one was pretty good.

Maybe it'll be 2-3 times a week?

Once a week seems like it would take forever!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So awesome *voice cracks*

I have never played much of the Metal Gear Solid games, and I have never played the first one, but I was already feeling like finally getting through 2, 3 and Peacewalker - now I'm itching to get going on that.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

It doesn't matter what you think an ER is. The only thing that matters is what they define as an ER, which is playing a game every single day until it's done.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

It doesn't matter what you think an ER is. The only thing that matters is what they define as an ER, which is playing a game every single day until it's done.

To be fair, they've never said that. But okay, I don't care. I subscribe anyway. Shoot me for wanting this place to be more inclusive.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I going to watch this right away now.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Rigas

A Hind D . . . rew ?!

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

@the_nubster said:

@hatking said:

To be fair, they've never said that. But okay, I don't care. I subscribe anyway. Shoot me for wanting this place to be more inclusive.

OMG. Get your GB etiquette up to par! Such a casual.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised not playing Twin Snakes as I think it be easier of a entry point because of the visuals and MGS2 controls.

Both versions ares incredible though and was the last good thing that Silicon Knights did.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By splodge

@baillie said:

@hatking said:

@the_nubster said:

@hatking said:

I wasn't trying to jump on the guy, but cmon, they have to have premium content. What is suitable for premium then? Anything where they don't play a game all the way through? Playing a game to the end can only be a free video? The distinctions might seem arbitrary but they are running a business and some stuff needs to go behind the paywall. I don't see any problem with this feature being one of those things, the same as breaking brad or the Demon's souls stuff.

EDIT - not to mention the amount of free content increases year by year. There is plenty.

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By PKB_Noitwont

This is great news, can't wait!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I liked the first episode a lot. Drew or Dan if you happen to glance by this one piece of information that Mr. Scanlon needs is that you can stand directly UNDER cameras without being caught even if you are standing in the vision cone. Also, I don't think Drew quite understands how weapons work. You press and hold the Square button to aim and then release to shoot the weapon will auto target the nearest enemy so you shouldn't need to really "aim" at people in most cases as the auto-lock will do that for you. Also, as well...was discovered in the video Stun Grenades are only really a good option if you are already in alert mode as it will put enemies into alert mode if you toss one. I'd just also generally recommend using the throw or punch & kick combo instead of wasting resources like ammo that you'll need for bosses.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@baillie said:

@hatking said:

@the_nubster said:

@hatking said:

I wasn't trying to jump on the guy, but cmon, they have to have premium content. What is suitable for premium then? Anything where they don't play a game all the way through? Playing a game to the end can only be a free video? The distinctions might seem arbitrary but they are running a business and some stuff needs to go behind the paywall. I don't see any problem with this feature being one of those things, the same as breaking brad or the Demon's souls stuff.

EDIT - not to mention the amount of free content increases year by year. There is plenty.

I was only joshing. I can't see ERs coming back, this is the evolution of them.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Watching this almost made me dig out my ps1 to replay through the game. Only thing stopping me is all the new games that I should play instead.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

smh

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching this almost made me dig out my ps1 to replay through the game. Only thing stopping me is all the new games that I should play instead.

I think I'm going to just dig out my PS3 and play it. Now, to see if my game still runs after 16 years.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I am pumped for this series. I literally just started my own trip through the Metal Gear Solid series (of the four main games, I've only ever played through the entirety of the first two), so this is perfect timing. Haven't had a chance to watch episode one yet but it is good to see my subscription dollars going to good use.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well, after watching that I guess I'm gonna pull out that Hd collection soon and finally play though Mgs 2 and 3.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#147  Edited By stackboy

Going to set aside an hour tonight to watch it. So pumped!! Not interested in playing this series (I've played through MGS2, but had enough after that), but the thought of these 2 playing together is wonderful.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

@the_nubster said:

@hatking said:

They did say it during the Persona ER.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm really excited about this, since I have never played any of the Metal Gear games outside of a couple demos.

AimlessAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By AimlessAJ

The following is an image inspired by the inaugural video in this series. It contains graphic content that's totally awesome, viewer discretion is advised (or not, whatever I'm no cop).

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.