Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Interrogation

Concept »

The act of obtaining information through questioning.

Enhanced Interrogation - Does It Work and Is It Worth It?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Nation,

We killed Osama Bin Laden, we did it.  I'll be the first to admit it, we did it.  We also did it using "enhanced interrogation", and over the many years...it worked.  All of it was built up for this one focal moment.

Snapping fingers off, water-boarding, cutting fingertips off, abusing loved ones in front of the terrorists, etc...it worked at the end of the day.  So for all those who say it would never work and it was just torture...what say you now?

Did the ten years of post-911 enhanced interrogation have proven to work at the end of the day...or didn't they?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman
    I say we would have gotten him either way, but that's just me.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Gabriel

If you push R2 while doing Kano's choke move he'll do an enhanced choke, I think it works better than the regular one. 

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BonOrbitz

How do we know exactly what tactics were used, how often they were used, who they were used upon, and how successful they were in tracking down OBL?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
    @bonorbitz: Aren't you watching the news?  They said the Bush version was used and it's what worked...Obama kept up the same system.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'm not sure the 'advanced interrogation' had a whole lot to do with it. The story I read in the paper said that they got more information out of people from standard interrogation than they ever did water-boarding guys.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Zimbo

Obama is a fan of renegade Sam Fisher. I approve.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By imsh_pl

I'd strongly suggest watching the movie "Unthinkable" which covers exactly the issue you mentioned: how far should we go to protect others (in this case American citiziens). It also criticizes the hypocrisy of the Americans regarding the issue of personal rights vs national security.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous

Seeing "OBL" as an abbreviation for Osama Bin Laden is weird to me because I've never been somewhere where he was discussed often enough to warrant an acronym.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By TehFlan

Maybe it works, but other methods have been proven to work better. Also, even if those methods did work better, it wouldn't be worth it.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @ajamafalous said:
    " Seeing "OBL" as an abbreviation for Osama Bin Laden is weird to me because I've never been somewhere where he was discussed often enough to warrant an acronym. "
    I think I came across it on CNN.com today. My brain did a double-take when it first read that.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slaker117
    @bonorbitz said:
    " How do we know exactly what tactics were used, how often they were used, who they were used upon, and how successful they were in tracking down OBL? "
    We don't. Kaos is just being obtuse and sensationalistic because that's what he does. Cause he's an ass.
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @bonorbitz said:
    " How do we know exactly what tactics were used, how often they were used, who they were used upon, and how successful they were in tracking down OBL? "
    We don't. Kaos is just being obtuse and sensationalistic because that's what he does. Cause he's an ass. "
    I saw the George Bush avatar as I was reading the initial post and was trying to figure out what angle this was coming from...
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Yanngc33

I'm no fan of torture but man I wish OBL had gotten a taste of that "enhanced interrogation" before bitting it

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Elazul
    @bonorbitz said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " @bonorbitz said:
    We don't. Kaos is just being obtuse and sensationalistic because that's what he does. Cause he's an ass. "
    I saw the George Bush avatar as I was reading the initial post and was trying to figure out what angle this was coming from... "
    Funny, I saw the Bush avatar and threw up in my mouth.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tunaburn

depends on who its being used on. terrorists im all for it. the guy that robbed 7-11 with a shovel and didnt hurt anybody? no
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By melcene
    @KaosAngel: 

Apparently Joy Behar thinks that we should be paying terrorists to write books rather than waterboarding....
    (sorry I can't find any other link for the video)

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
    @melcene: What do you think though?

Is it worth hurting a handful to save millions?
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By FlyingRat

What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you actually trying to say it's okay to do things like abuse loved ones in front of terrorists?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @FlyingRat: I never said that, I'm asking what people think about these techniques after knowing they apparently worked in catching OBL.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FlyingRat
    @KaosAngel:  People who have a problem with torture generally don't have a problem with it cause they think it doesn't work, they have a problem with it is cause it's fucking cruel and inhumane.
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By bravetoaster

When time is of the essence and lives depend on it, I'd say torture is the best way to get information from non-compliant individuals.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By jozzy

I find the whole "let's celebrate and wave our american flags because we totally murdered a bad guy" very morbid. So let's not even get started on torture.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By melcene

I agree with what someone said earlier.  If we're talking war situations, terrorism, yes, it's worth it.  If we're talking standard criminal issues, definitely not.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aishan
    @melcene said:
    " I agree with what someone said earlier.  If we're talking war situations, terrorism, yes, it's worth it.  If we're talking standard criminal issues, definitely not. "
    What makes it more acceptable in war? Why is it acceptable ever?

@KaosAngel said:
    " @FlyingRat: I never said that, I'm asking what people think about these techniques after knowing they apparently worked in catching OBL. "
    This is a complete logical fallacy.

Event A happens
    Event B happens after Event A
    Therefore A caused B.

This is not proof of success of torture.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By AlexW00d

Hey if Jack Bauer does it I'm all for it.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By benjaebe

I'm fairly certain that the big news is that enhanced interrogation like waterboarding DIDN'T have any impact on catching Osama Bin Laden. I mean, when Donald Rumsfield says it wasn't a factor, I'd be likely to believe him.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By melcene
    @Aishan: Well first, it's more acceptable because thousands or millions of lives at stake.  While it's nice to be all idealistic, truth of the matter is that the lives of a few are not worth as much as the lives of millions.  Don't believe me?  Ask yourself this:  If you had to sacrifice yourself and your immediately family to save an entire nation of people, would you do it?  People who want to be smartasses, or who want to stand up for some idealistic principle that ultimately means nothing will say no.  Why do I say that idealistic principle ultimately means nothing?  Because if such a situation arose, the bad guys who put you in that situation wouldn't give a damn about your ideals and change their minds because they're just in awe of them.  They'd end up killing the entire nation AND you and your family if it furthered their goals.

In war, especially the way it's fought today, with acts of terrorism and the like, we don't always have the luxury of easily being able to obtain the information we need.  Sometimes we don't know who's in charge, or what's happening next.  And people aren't going to want to tell us just because we've captured them.  So are we supposed to sit back and just let these things occur if there's a chance we can stop it?  Is there a better way out there?

As for torture when it comes to the OBL situation... I can't say with any certainty whether it helped with finding him or not.  I haven't heard/read the news on that yet and haven't formed any opinions on that.  My opinions on torture have absolutely nothing to do with the OBL situation.  I simply consider myself a realist.  And it's unrealistic to be idealistic and think we can all fucking sing kumbaya and maybe the bad guys won't hurt innocent people.  I do not believe in Utopia, sorry.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Azteck

Are you insane? You actually condone torture?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Afroman269

I like how OBL is totally an acronym now. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

Wait a second, I thought it was the all the bombs dropped on Iraq that caught Osama?

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SoylentGreen

This whole situation is really bringing out the worst in people. Osama Bin Laden is dead and gone forever. Let's stop trying to throw ethics out the window in the name of safety and freedom, okay?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @FlyingRat said:
    " What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you actually trying to say it's okay to do things like abuse loved ones in front of terrorists? "
    THANK YOU.
    DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeShawn2ks

I was just watching the news and they said enhanced interrogation had nothing to do with it. Even Donald Rumsfield said it didn't have a part in. If that guy says something like that considering the circumstances I feel I have to believe it. But who knows it seems a bunch of outlets are saying different stuff.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Aishan
    @melcene: What's the ratio to where it becomes acceptable? Can I kill one person to save 100,000? 100? 10? At what point does it stop becoming acceptable to trade one life for others?

You say it's ok to do so because it leads to information that might be useful, however you don't take into consideration that the fact that it was obtained through torture makes it tainted. If you've being abused mentally or physically beaten for days at a time, you'll eventually tell your interrogators something, anything, just to make it stop. That does not make that information true.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Commisar123
    @KaosAngel:    Lets call this what it is you are supporting torture plain and simple, now I don't know about you but I would say anything to get out of torture even if it was a flat out lie so who knows if any information we get from this shit is accurate.  Also how the hell do you know if torture lead to the capture or not?  Are you int he CIA?  Its been like two days since he was killed, how do you get your information?  Mabye he was found using a totally copoarative source.  Who knows.  
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By PerryVandell

From what I read, the key information regarding Osama's whereabouts was obtained through normal interrogation. Personally, I think "enhanced" interrogation should be outlawed, whether or not it works. Otherwise, we are no better than the terrorists we are fighting.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @DeShawn2ks said:
    " I was just watching the news and they said enhanced interrogation had nothing to do with it. Even Donalds Rumsfield said it didn't have a part in. If that guy says something like that considering the circumstances I feel I have to believe it. But who knows it seems a bunch of outlets are saying different stuff. "
    I'd say that Fox News had something to do with any bullshit regarding "enhanced interrogation" having something to do with it... The news sources I've been following haven't said anything to close to that.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By melcene
    @Aishan: A valid point, and one I did consider as I was writing my post.  But I'm not familiar with all the forms of "torture" or "advanced interrogation" or whatever used, so I can't say that they're all those types that will make people say anything, or even, true, that they'd be useful.  I also can't give you a number as to how many lives are worth how many lives.  This is why I'm not in office.  I'm not looking to make those decisions.  But it does bother me that people seem to feel that we've become so enlightened that things that have been standards of war for centuries are no longer acceptable.  Then again, hey, maybe we should just let Bad Stuff (TM) happen.  We're overpopulating this damn planet anyway.  I'm not going to pretend I have all the answers.  This was a thread for opinions, and that's how I feel.
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @Aishan said:
    " @melcene: You say it's ok to do so because it leads to information that might be useful, however you don't take into consideration that the fact that it was obtained through torture makes it tainted. If you've being abused mentally or physically beaten for days at a time, you'll eventually tell your interrogators something, anything, just to make it stop. That does not make that information true."

I dunno... If the Salem Witch Trials taught me anything, it's that witches are more common than we think. ;)
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It's only worth when you know that the knowledge can prevent an immediate threat.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Azteck said:
    " Are you insane? You actually condone torture? "
    I never said that.  I'm just asking if it was worth it at the end.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By haggis

There is a difference between waterboarding (which was only done to three people) and enhanced interrogation, which used stress positions, etc. And it does look like some information that came from Khalid Sheik Mohammed (one of the three who was waterboarded) did aid in finding OBL. But we still don't know for sure (and probably won't for a very long time). I don't see a problem with enhanced interrogation, and from what I've heard from people who know at the Pentagon, their techniques work surprisingly well. They say the same for waterboarding, although the same guys always told me that anything worse than waterboarding would probably cease producing any decent intelligence. KSM gave quite a bit of decent intel. But even those in charge of interrogation knew they couldn't use that on just anyone.

So, does enhanced interrogation work? It seems to. Is it worth it? Probably only in situations where we know that the subject knows things we need to know. Did it have much to do with capturing OBL? Reports seem to indicate that it did have at least a minor role, but all the details will likely stay classified for a very long time. Is it good that OBL is dead? Undoubtedly. Will it make a huge difference now, ten years after 9/11? I doubt it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NTM

The guy on my icon killed Osama Bin Fawdin.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pibo47
    @KaosAngel: I honestly dont think that torture is ok under any circumstances, and this one is included. If we did in fact use those techniques. It was wrong, and not worth it. Sacrificing who we are and what we stand for, even with the best intentions, never ends well. I think hurting captives is NEVER an option. And NEVER should be. Even if other lives are at risk, because whats the point of saving a life if we become worse than the monsters we are fighting. Maybe there are some circumstances were torture is ok. But i honestly cannot think of one.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Pibo47: Let's say this, a guy we kidnap knows about a nuke going off in NYC, and it goes off in a matter of hours.  He's not talking...are those millions of people in NYC fucked?  He wins?
    DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @NTM said:
    " The guy on my icon killed Osama Bin Fawdin. "
    The image of ! this popping up above Osama's head  followed by that messed up sound when  those seals busted into that room brought a smile to my face.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aishan
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Pibo47: Let's say this, a guy we kidnap knows about a nuke going off in NYC, and it goes off in a matter of hours.  He's not talking...are those millions of people in NYC fucked?  He wins? "
    How do you know he knows?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Aishan said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @Pibo47: Let's say this, a guy we kidnap knows about a nuke going off in NYC, and it goes off in a matter of hours.  He's not talking...are those millions of people in NYC fucked?  He wins? "
    How do you know he knows? "
    The CIA and NSA caught him through his emails and cellphone conversations.  They know it's going to happen but not the details.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Aishan
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Aishan said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    How do you know he knows? "
    The CIA and NSA caught him through his emails and cellphone conversations.  They know it's going to happen but not the details. "
    How do you know you have the right guy?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.