Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Indie

Concept »

“Indie” or “independently developed” games are video games which are developed by a studio without the support of an external publisher.

It's game development time again!

soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By soralapio

The relative disappointment of finishing fifth out of 19 games at Assembly 2010 has worn off, so we're back in the saddle with another game. First let me preface this blog post by saying I HATE the expression "... but with a twist". If you have to describe whatever it is you're making as that, chances are you're not creating anything worth creating. 

But still... That's pretty much all I can say about our game right now. It's a tower defence game ... but with a twist! Actually it's more of a tower defence game crossed with a tamagotchi, some light adventure game elements and a whole bunch of humor. The game is called "My Little Sentry Gun" and we're in our last stages of pre-production right now. 

As the de-facto lead coder on the project I've been busy knocking up a playable prototype that has some of the elements we want to include in our final game. Right now that means our pretty nifty and very cute sentry model, a whole hell of a lot of cubes and a low res grass texture I pilfered off the Internet. It'll get better, we've still got weeks to go before our deadline. 

I know last time around I promised to keep a journal of my trials and tribulations with Unity 3D, but that kind of fell by the wayside. Maybe this time I'll actually stick to my guns and get it done. Unity 3 is out and we switched over to that, and while we were switching things around we jumped from JavaScript to C# for our code, because we love object-oriented programming and always have to do things the hard way (not that C# is hard, but there are syntactical differences that make it a learning experience all over again).

Anyway, this spawning system isn't going to code itself so I guess it's back to Unity 3's pretty excellent IDE for some more code. I'll leave you with this, our first promo image.

This is what our sentry looks like. He really loves what he does.
    soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By soralapio

The relative disappointment of finishing fifth out of 19 games at Assembly 2010 has worn off, so we're back in the saddle with another game. First let me preface this blog post by saying I HATE the expression "... but with a twist". If you have to describe whatever it is you're making as that, chances are you're not creating anything worth creating. 

But still... That's pretty much all I can say about our game right now. It's a tower defence game ... but with a twist! Actually it's more of a tower defence game crossed with a tamagotchi, some light adventure game elements and a whole bunch of humor. The game is called "My Little Sentry Gun" and we're in our last stages of pre-production right now. 

As the de-facto lead coder on the project I've been busy knocking up a playable prototype that has some of the elements we want to include in our final game. Right now that means our pretty nifty and very cute sentry model, a whole hell of a lot of cubes and a low res grass texture I pilfered off the Internet. It'll get better, we've still got weeks to go before our deadline. 

I know last time around I promised to keep a journal of my trials and tribulations with Unity 3D, but that kind of fell by the wayside. Maybe this time I'll actually stick to my guns and get it done. Unity 3 is out and we switched over to that, and while we were switching things around we jumped from JavaScript to C# for our code, because we love object-oriented programming and always have to do things the hard way (not that C# is hard, but there are syntactical differences that make it a learning experience all over again).

Anyway, this spawning system isn't going to code itself so I guess it's back to Unity 3's pretty excellent IDE for some more code. I'll leave you with this, our first promo image.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Cool story, bro 

No really, looking forward to this.

tulihauki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By tulihauki

The cubes are gonna get killed soo bad!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.