Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Horizon Set in Colorado

• 51 results
    Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I was hoping this wasn't going to be set in America but of course it is.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@jonny_anonymous: might be interesting to think of what other settings might work - what areas were you hoping for?

Japan might be cool if it could bounce between Urban and Mountain regions kind of like they're showing in the screens I threw in the post. Austria/Germany could possibly pull off the same thing - wouldn't mind seeing Brazil too.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As someone in Colorado, this is cool. Colorado has a lot of diverse scenery and can change drastically in just short distances. I always thought it'd make for a good open world video game location. I also get why some might be bummed it's not somewhere else though. Somehow I started noticing how many games are set in California and was going crazy wondering why they'd keep setting games in the same place. Outside of historical world war games or assassin's creed, you rarely see Europe. It does seem to be getting better though, and devs will keep looking for new ways to distinguish their games.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@fredchuckdave: @jesus_phish: @jonny_anonymous:

I guess I understand the disappointment about Horizon being yet another game set in the US, but I don't feel like it will matter anywhere near as much as something set in contemporary, historic, or even post apocalyptic times.

Horizon being in what I've been referring to as a "posthistoric" setting kind of makes me feel like it taking place in what was once Colorado is only slightly more relevant to the setting than it would be for a game taking place in 10,000 BC being set in what will eventually be Colorado.

I'm sure the remnants of civilization will play a role in the game's story, but being so far removed from modern society it will be irrelevant what nation it takes place in. It's not like The Last of Us where the fact that it's post apocalyptic America is significant. Horizon will be much more about the remnants of human civilization rather than the remnants of America, and it will very likely not matter that it's Colorado and not South Africa or anywhere else other than the mountainous setting.

I don't think there's going to be any examination of "American culture" or that there would have been examination of other cultures if it were set somewhere else.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one of the reasons it's set in/near an American city is that they want to stress the post-post apocalyptic nature of the setting. It'd be harder to recognize if it was set 1000 years in the future in South America, whereas more like are likely to recognize that horse statue from Colorado (I'm not one of those people). Of course, that doesn't mean they couldn't have set it in post-post apocalypse Hong Kong, London, or Mexico City.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Snooky has never looked better...
    Snooky has never looked better...

I was hoping at least it woudl be set on top of the sun-desiccated corpses of the cast of Jersey Shore.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

I think one of the reasons it's set in/near an American city is that they want to stress the post-post apocalyptic nature of the setting. It'd be harder to recognize if it was set 1000 years in the future in South America, whereas more like are likely to recognize that horse statue from Colorado (I'm not one of those people). Of course, that doesn't mean they couldn't have set it in post-post apocalypse Hong Kong, London, or Mexico City.

I don't think Hong Kong or Tokyo would be very good settings for this game. They don't want it set in a giant urban sprawl. The mountainous wilderness of Colorado fits well with the prehistoric like nature of the setting, with the added benefit of having some fairly major urban centers nearby.

I'm sure they could have chosen somewhere else in the world with a similar mix of mountain wilderness and urban development, but Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Mexico city are not candidates. This isn't like GTA where the city determines the flavor and style and the game but doesn't really mix up the gameplay all that that much. Horizon set somewhere as densely developed as Tokyo would be an entirely different game.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It seems kind of silly to get upset that this game is in America, like I totally understand the sentiment for games set in modern times, but for this particular game the only difference the location will make is raw geography. And in terms of landscape Colorado is an A+ choice, it's beautiful with a ton of diversity.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I knew that scenery looked recognizable!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

@jonny_anonymous: South Africa would have been cool

What would have been more exciting about South Africa than Colorado?

It's not in America for one. I've never seen South Africa, I see America every time I watch a movie\tv show\play a game.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

It's not in America for one. I've never seen South Africa, I see America every time I watch a movie\tv show\play a game.

This game is set in a a posthistoric wilderness with hunter/gatherer tribes. It's not as though it will be even remotely recognizable as being "American" in any way. You're also being very hyperbolic about the ubiquity of American settings, in games particularly. I'd wager there are more or just as many games set in entirely fictional settings (space/other planets, medieval fantasy, etc) as there are American ones.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By huser
    @catsakimbo said:

As someone in Colorado, this is cool. Colorado has a lot of diverse scenery and can change drastically in just short distances. I always thought it'd make for a good open world video game location. I also get why some might be bummed it's not somewhere else though. Somehow I started noticing how many games are set in California and was going crazy wondering why they'd keep setting games in the same place. Outside of historical world war games or assassin's creed, you rarely see Europe. It does seem to be getting better though, and devs will keep looking for new ways to distinguish their games.

The one good thing about the Midwest in general, and what I found about Colorado, video game weather actually works. It can be totally steaming hot and bright, have thunderclouds roll in in less than an hour, and dump several inches of rain in minutes. Then go right back to being hot. Now the day/night cycle probably doesn't match, but one step at a time.

@kasaioni said:

I don't think Hong Kong or Tokyo would be very good settings for this game. They don't want it set in a giant urban sprawl. The mountainous wilderness of Colorado fits well with the prehistoric like nature of the setting, with the added benefit of having some fairly major urban centers nearby.

I'm sure they could have chosen somewhere else in the world with a similar mix of mountain wilderness and urban development, but Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Mexico city are not candidates. This isn't like GTA where the city determines the flavor and style and the game but doesn't really mix up the gameplay all that that much. Horizon set somewhere as densely developed as Tokyo would be an entirely different game.

I tend to agree with your thinking, but if we go by geography, CO is about the same size as the main island of Japan. I'd wager the diversity in setting would be no less dramatic what with extinct volcanoes and oceans to run around. And unlike typical American urban sprawl and encroaching suburbia civic planning, urban centers in many other parts of the world actually do end with rural/willderness in between.

I don't think a decayed city will be the focus, so I think CO is a good bet (not least the major sources of fresh water) for an interesting setting.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Phantom Pain was partially set in Africa and I honestly didn't see the appeal. I guess it might be more interesting if they set a game in Johannesburg but at that point it would just be another open world game in a modern city, and most cities look alike.

The appeal of placing games in America lies in the power of recognizable landmarks that people around the world have assimilated via movies and TV shows. If you have never seen Africa before, and they make a game set in Africa, then you have no idea if what you're playing through has any relation to the real thing or not. If I told you that FarCry 3 took place in Africa (it doesn't) would you be any wiser? How could you if you have no connection to that place. In stark almost everyone around the world will instantly recognize the Statue of Liberty, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Grand Canyon, the Washington Memorial. Those landmarks help justify the location because there is something there to connect to. Tomb Raider took place in Siberia and they could have said it was all taking place in Vermont and I wouldn't have known the difference.

Also plenty of games take place all around the world. Phantom Pain as mentioned before was Afghanistan and Africa. Tomb Raider was Siberia. Remember Me took place in Paris, France. FarCry 3 took place on a set of islands on the coast of Bangkok. Max Payne 3 was Brazil and Panama. Uncharted globe tropes all over the place as does Splinter Cell. Assassins Creed games go through great pains recreating cities and only one of those was set in the US.

Plenty of big budget games take place in other countries.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@humanity: To further your point, while The Phantom Pain was set in Afghanistan, they actually used Jordan as a reference. Not that any of us would be able to tell.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You know, I'm a little disappointed that they won't be doing anything to set up the apocalypse because they could do so much fun stuff with this. Think about it: legalized weed turned everyone into robot deer and they're all going crazy because they're HIGH AS FUCK. Eh? Yeah?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@humanity: How many of those games were post-apocalyptic, though... the closest one would be Remember Me, and that is not really accurate. I know you are right in saying that they want people to recognize the place through the landmarks, but why always do it in America. Are you going to tell me most people would see a broken down Big Ben, Taj Mahal or Eiffel Tower and don't recognize them almost instantly?

Or, if we are going for it, why Colorado? It has almost no recognizable landmarks, and it is not something they can instantly use to place me in their post-apocalyptic world (unlike Enslaved crashing against the Statue of Liberty). For what I understand, the studio is not even american, they are from Amsterdam, it is not like there are not a ton of interesting places nearer than Colorado that they can visit for research... I am not American, so sorry in advance if it does have important landmarks and some of you freak out for my ignorance, but that is the point: for the rest of the world, you show us some of the screenshots and all I can think of is "cool. random derelict skyscrapers"

Ehh... I am still going to play the game, and this hasn't diminished my intention one bit. I just think if they are going with "nature retaking after mankind" apocalypse, still putting some work in showing the ruins of mankind but not specific enough to make it central, they could have gone with some road less traveled.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hermes

@humanity: Because the same can be said of the other side of the question.

If they, for whatever reason, are taking the trouble of selecting a place that is not in the "top 5 favorite cities to sightseeing in a post-apocalyptic world", why go to a place that is obscure enough most people won't recognize, but still in the same country 99% of post-apocalyptic settings use?

Specially when it is not even their city or country...

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Ok... now I have to ask: Is "horizon" part of some nickname for the city or the state? Is it like "the big apple", "the city of light" or "the square mile"? I feel like they have been teasing on the setting since the announcement and I missed out on the pun.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

@humanity: How many of those games were post-apocalyptic, though... the closest one would be Remember Me, and that is not really accurate. I know you are right in saying that they want people to recognize the place through the landmarks, but why always do it in America. Are you going to tell me most people would see a broken down Big Ben, Taj Mahal or Eiffel Tower and don't recognize them almost instantly?

@hermes said:

@humanity: Because the same can be said of the other side of the question.

If they, for whatever reason, are taking the trouble of selecting a place that is not in the "top 5 favorite cities to sightseeing in a post-apocalyptic world", why go to a place that is obscure enough most people won't recognize, but still in the same country 99% of post-apocalyptic settings use?

Specially when it is not even their city or country...

STALKER series (Eastern Europe), Metro series (Eastern Europe), Mad Max (Australia), Half Life 2 (Eastern Europe), Zombi U (London), Resident Evil 4 (Spain) and 5 (Africa), Resistance: Fall of Man (UK), Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (UK). There's other things that are debatable post apocalypse or are non-Earth settings like the Gears of War series (fictional setting), Souls series/Bloodborne (fictional setting), Spec Ops the Line (Dubai), Bastion (fictional setting), Wind Waker (fictional setting).

To suggest that all or even most post-apocalyptic games take place in America is highly inaccurate. It's certainly not "99%" Depending on how you want to define exactly what constitutes a post apocalypse, I'd be surprised if it was much more than 50% that take place in the US.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes: if it's set in the US but out in the countryside you still have the potential out to travel to some place within the United States that will have some familiar landmarks. Also you will have road signs and other signage that is instantly recognizable compared to anywhere else, like money for example. Another very strong proponent of setting the location in the US is because that means the main characters are justified in speaking english which is the most commonly spoken and known tongue in the world. So there are plenty of good, logical reasons why they do make a lot of games take place in America that don't amount to "let's just be different for the sake of being different!" Also as @ll_exile_ll mentioned, plenty of post apocalyptic games have taken place elsewhere in the world.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Ok, point taken.

I still think the number of post-apocalyptic media (games, TV shows, movies, comics, etc) set in the real world (not fictional) restricted to the United States is disproportionate just so they can show a shoot of the broken down White House or the Statue of Liberty...

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We don't even know if the game is set in Colorado, they could've just been using pictures of Colorado as an artistic reference point, which is wholely different. So why are you people getting all bent out of shape about it?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I thought we were talking about Forza Horizon there for a bit and I was like "wait, the second one was in Europe... also, post apocalyptic Forza Horizon?"

Nope, it's not that.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

@humanity: To further your point, while The Phantom Pain was set in Afghanistan, they actually used Jordan as a reference. Not that any of us would be able to tell.

Not to be that guy but I could tell. Or at least I could tell it didn't look like the parts of Afghanistan I've been to.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That is strange to hear.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CatsAkimbo

I thought we were talking about Forza Horizon there for a bit and I was like "wait, the second one was in Europe... also, post apocalyptic Forza Horizon?"

Nope, it's not that.

Oh weird, I totally forgot Forza Horizon 1 was set in Colorado too. Apparently if you set your game in Colorado it's gotta have "horizon" in the title.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Don't worry. Soon every game will be set in China.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Milijango

Colorado is at the centre of the Morrison Formation, "the most fertile single source of dinosaur fossils in the world". Makes sense for a game all about robot dinosaurs.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By effache

If this game actually covers the entire area between colorado springs (the statue) and aspen (maroon bells) it would be the first game to take place at least partially in my home town area. exciting.

I was not convinced it was actually CO until the statue. we're uniqueley rich with bronze statues of cowboys/bears/other random bullshit

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@effache said:

If this game actually covers the entire area between colorado springs (the statue) and aspen (maroon bells) it would be the first game to take place at least partially in my home town area. exciting.

I was not convinced it was actually CO until the statue. we're uniqueley rich with bronze statues of cowboys/bears/other random bullshit

I thought something similar about Fallout 4, but ended up disappointed. Based on the area and towns that are in that game, the town where I live should have been in the northern part of the world map, but it isn't. They included a handful of famous towns that are north of Boston like Concord and Salem, but in reality there are a whole bunch of towns in between those ones and Boston whereas in the game there aren't.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

@ll_exile_ll: Ok, point taken.

I still think the number of post-apocalyptic media (games, TV shows, movies, comics, etc) set in the real world (not fictional) restricted to the United States is disproportionate just so they can show a shoot of the broken down White House or the Statue of Liberty...

Because the audience is predominantly American or thought to be American for these products. Placing the events somewhere reasonably close to the audience's geographical location is a good bet to create familiarity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Colorado Springs and I wasn't interested in this game until I saw this post.

I used to live very close to NYC and even The Division's (game itself aside) setting is eh to me. At least Colorado is a little different.

Edit: Fuck. I hate exclusives.

TViddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Von Miller shows up and tackles a robot bear...does a dance.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Cozy!

packerman120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be amazing on so many levels

@tviddy said:

Von Miller shows up and tackles a robot bear...does a dance.

Ecto311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh shit that is badass especially since I live in CO.

RyenDeckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found a message that the events take place in salt lake city

or was this specific message just regarding that place?

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After finishing the game, there is a story reason why the game takes place in the heart of the US. Heavy spoilers under the cut.

That specific area the entire game takes place in was mostly isolated far from the coastline and the mountainous region made it very defendable. That location conveniently also had the headquarters of the creator of the plague and the source of most of the tech and funding necessary for the Zero Dawn project. The Faro Plague, the massive army of self-replicating, biomass consuming mindless robots started in a war-torn country in the eastern hemisphere, so within months Europe and Asia were reduced to nothing. They mention through text files and the audio clips that some locations for vaults or stores were overwhelmed and priceless information or genetic samples were lost. The game also says that if Operation Enduring Victory failed one day sooner the entire project could have been scrapped and it still cut it too tight to get 100% of the project done in time, being forced to scrap some last minute ideas. But they did say that other Cradles were set up in other parts of the world, too. Colorado was just a convenient story location. The game couldn't take place in New York and manage to still have all the story beats it does because you can't convince me to jump through a hoop that big and tell me a bunker in the mountains is less defensible than a massive city right on the water. No reason why the setting couldn't have originally been in Mongolia or Tibet, though, or the heart of Africa.

I still wouldn't rule out other locations in the sequel.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Shadow

There's a scenic view collectable that shows a landmark being called "Denver Stadium" so I connected the single dot to itself to figure out where I was

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadow: Colorado Springs is the name of another viewpoint

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.