Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Halo 4 multiplayer footage (MLG)

• 53 results
    DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DharmaBum

We had a chance to see some campaign at E3 and there was plenty of Spartan Ops talk on the Bombcast, but we all know the real reason Halo is still around today is because of the competitive multiplayer - now dubbed War Games. MLG uploaded the first in-game footage featuring two maps, Haven and Adrift. I've added GameSpot's commentary with the devs below for brief overview, or check out MLG's full gameplay coverage.

Keep in mind that the main thing on display is the new Infinity Slayer, hence the point scoring and ordnance drops (killstreaks) popping up. Like with the campaign demo, I hope they're just trying to show off Halo with a fresh coat of paint rather than, say, merely pandering to other shooter audiences. 343 would be foolish not to include normal Slayer and other classic gametypes in the final game.

Reach's design oversights and poor map selection made it a disaster competitive-wise, so I've been cautious with my enthusiasm in terms of how Halo 4 fine-tunes the sandbox, seeing as how there's still a strong focus on armor abilities among other significant changes. Maybe they can strike a decent balance this time around, but I picture most of the abilities (like wallhacking) being geared toward the more social playlists and left out of competitive play.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

Looks better than I thought it would, the amount of weapons people can choose from load outs is crazy, BR, DMR, Carbine, and I hear the storm rifle is really good, and the AR is still underpowered.

I see my self using the mostly BR, and DMR on larger maps, the maps seem to be a bit larger or are spaced out to make up for sprint, and there seems to be some really good Grenade bouncing spots, that make the nades bounce perfectly to the exact spot you want them to.

Strafing seems to be back, and it is also possible while crouched now too I read, which is crazy, pistols bloom is way less, but it takes 6 shoots to kill I think? The DMR seems to be at like 50% bloom so it will only effect longer ranges. Oh and no auto zoom out when shot? That's an interesting thing.

Have you heard about the new sniper rifle? Head shots will be super important now.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Redsox44

This game easily looks like one of the best multiplayer shooters on any platform. So excited.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DharmaBum

@big_jon: What I've seen so far looks promising. Loadouts seem fairly similar to Reach, with a greater emphasis on specific intended playstyles based on the equipment. Everyone seems to prefer Promethean vision as it gives you the most tactical advantage when roaming the map and especially rounding corners. I hope they have other armor modifications yet to be revealed that counter one another in a balanced fashion. Maybe we'll see it evolve into more of a class-based objective game like Battlefield. I don't mind that sprint is standard either since they've presumably spaced-out the maps with proper dimensions.

Haven is a real sight for sore eyes; it actually looks like an arena Halo map. Adrift on the other hand reminded me of 343's other work, Condemned, with four areas surrounding a central chamber, but it could really use some work in the lighting department.

Seeing the BR back makes me smile. There's a visible spread when being fired at, but I couldn't tell if it's hitscan or not. DMR looks like what it should have been in Reach, a long-range support weapon with a pre-determined rate of fire. Magnum reticle is reminiscent of the pistol from Shadowrun (which actually did bloom right). I need to see the sniper rifle in play because I've heard it feels heavier when swaying, and overall more skillful to use than Reach.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Halo is terrible, it got left behind when COD went all iron sights.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Halo is terrible, it got left behind when COD went all iron sights.

And so it begins...

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By big_jon

@Bourbon_Warrior: Are you kidding me? I really hope you are, if not the tools are starting to show up on Giantbomb...

@Lebensbaum: They confirmed that the BR is hitscan.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DharmaBum

@Bourbon_Warrior: Good contribution. I still prefer shooters that haven't been completely dumbed down and actually require skill.

@TEHMAXXORZ: haha he just had to summon the wrath of big_jon...

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By big_jon

@Lebensbaum: I played MW3 the other day, all I could think was wow, this game is not as good as BF3, for real, those games have the crappiest balance, and gun play of almost any modern shooter today.

Hey a guy laying prone in a corner, hey, a random death from a hell strike missile, hey, really bad sound, hey, sweet pink camo guns everywhere, hey, blunt trauma bro.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

My body is ready.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Nilazz

It's easy to see where most of my online hours will be spent this upcoming winter, can't wait for it!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By big_jon

@Irvandus:

No Caption Provided

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Lebensbaum: He was clearly trying to start something. Anyway, I think the Halo mp is very good and a lot of fun, there's never a dull moment, but I just tend to steer away from competitive mp in shooters. If there's a cooperative mode, I generally prefer to play that, because I always have much more fun than I regularly do on competitive. That's just me though.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zombie2011

So is the Scattershot basically the Flack Cannon from UT?

If so that would be awesome!!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp

It still looks too slow. I remember back when 343 was talking about making this game and comparing the suit to a fighter jet I thought they were serious about really focusing on the mobility of being in that suit. I didn't know they just meant adding a sprint button. It just looks too stale cruising around that level at that speed. It gives the game a sort of nonchalant look. Like "oh I'll just take a jog and if I see a dude I'll shoot him"

I'm not saying it has to be Quake III speed, but man a little more speed couldn't hurt.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Doctorchimp said:

Eh...

It still looks too slow. I remember back when 343 was talking about making this game and comparing the suit to a fighter jet I thought they were serious about really focusing on the mobility of being in that suit. I didn't know they just meant adding a sprint button. It just looks too stale cruising around that level at that speed. It gives the game a sort of nonchalant look. Like "oh I'll just take a jog and if I see a dude I'll shoot him"

I'm not saying it has to be Quake III speed, but man a little more speed couldn't hurt.

Then I'll say it: it has to be Quake III speed.

Avatar image for themurcwiththemouth
    themurcwiththemouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm worried that there isn't going to be a reason to turn Promeathian vision off.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zombie2011

@themurcwiththemouth said:

I'm worried that there isn't going to be a reason to turn Promeathian vision off.

it's a recharge you can't have it always on, when it turns off in the video isn't by the players choice most of the time it's because it ran out of energy.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By big_jon

@zombie2011 said:

@themurcwiththemouth said:

it's a recharge you can't have it always on, when it turns off in the video isn't by the players choice most of the time it's because it ran out of energy.

I think they are going to tweak it too, make it less powerful.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@big_jon: @TEHMAXXORZ: It's true the aiming in Halo is way to floaty, I just wish you could zoom in when you hold LT. And skill? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah HA!

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@big_jon: @TEHMAXXORZ: It's true the aiming in Halo is way to floaty, I just wish you could zoom in when you hold LT. And skill? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah HA!

Definition of skill:

1. The ability to do something well; expertise.
    2. A particular ability.

Both of these are need to achieve something in the multiplayer as your enemies do not die in a few shots, you have no aim assist, it's not easy to camp since there are few spots to effectively camp and there are usually an array of weapons to defeat most camping spots, your melee does not kill instantly unless you assassinate and you there are no killstreaks. All in all, it kind of shows how CoD multiplayer requires very little skill to do well in, and I've played a lot of CoD's multiplayer, so I can firmly say it doesn't.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TEHMAXXORZ: Halo has aim assist. I don't like COD anymore, I was saying that Halo is just very archaic without iron sights, and why I don't play the MP in those games.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Nilazz

After watching some Halo 4 war games footage I've couldn't help myself, I booted up Halo Reach, Please release Halo 4 now?

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By JTB123

Seems like they're sticking with the 5 shot kill from reach if Elamite's kill at the 1:40 mark is anything to go by, didn't look like the BR had bloom which is good for the BR but the pistol definitely had it. That pulse ability to show enemies on the map seemed pretty cool, really like the look of what I saw, was cool to see that grenade pistol from the announcement trailer too. Love the sound the new BR makes too.

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CouncilorChief

It looks like what Reach should have been from the start.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DharmaBum

@JTB123: it's good to see that his shots register while hitting the back of the head and that there's slowdown when trying to sprint away while being shot. I like the addition of hit markers too; pretty much a staple in all shooters these days, but no more doubting whether your shots hit.

Some hardcore players are bound to complain about the lengthy kill times and strafing not being tight enough. Halo has always been about shooting as a team, and thankfully they've kept the precision weapons hitscan. I've heard it's comparable to Halo 3's movement as far as responsiveness and jump height, though with sprint playing a default role it's somewhat safe to draw similarities to Reach's feel.

Also, the speed boost power-up is quite intriguing, making you reload, strafe, and move faster overall. Let's hope they continue with past tradition and include tons of customization options for damage and speed to make the game feel just right.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By big_jon

@Bourbon_Warrior: You sir are derp.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By MistaSparkle

It looks okay, but nothing really exciting happened. The killstreak stuff looks pretty dull as well. With all of the cool tech that the Halo universe has to work with, you'd expect more than a weapon drop. Is dropping a Scarab into mulitplayer too much? :P

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@big_jon said:

Says the guy who said quote "Halo 4 made my pants shrink"

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By benpicko
    @Lebensbaum

@Bourbon_Warrior: Good one. Frankly I still prefer arena shooters like Halo that require skill.

@TEHMAXXORZ: haha he just had to summon the wrath of big_jon...

If Halo requires skill and I'm much better at it than CoD, what's up with that?
    benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By benpicko

If that sounds like I hate Halo and love CoD, then no. Wrong way around.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By big_jon

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@big_jon said:

Says the guy who said quote "Halo 4 made my pants shrink"

What is your point trolololol guy? You are the very definition of derp, you don't even make sense, and your arguments are weak.

OMG you don't look down the sight? This game is so badd dood lawl!!1!one

Every game should be the same!

That must mean TF2 is bad too.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By veektarius

Never played Halo for the competitive multiplayer. I played a fair amount in 3, and I'm pretty sure that itch is scratched now. I'm still tentatively interested in SP and co-op modes, though.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34  Edited By impartialgecko

Halo was never something that had the depth for competitive play I thought. Not that I care, Halo has always been a social game for me. It's about a group of friends mucking around in a match doing dumb things with warthogs while the other team slaughters us because they're taking it seriously.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By csl316

I'm really liking the sound design.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zombie2011

Someone need to tell MLG that Halo 4 is old news, and it's all about competitive ShootMania now.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By laserbolts

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

It takes way more skill to be really good at halo than it does at call of duty. I'm sorry if you disagree but you are wrong if you do. As for the topic at hand this gameplay looks interesting and i'm pleasantly surprised by what I see here. I wish the dude switched up weapons more but this looks like it will be a ton of fun.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DharmaBum

@benpicko said:

Maybe I don't understand the question, but if you're good at one kind of shooter then it doesn't guarantee you'll be good at a different kind. Nor would your ability to do well in either indicate their merits as competitive games.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By big_jon

@adam1808: The most competitive online shooter franchise, the one that made MLG has no competitive depth?

Next thing you're going to tell me that Star Craft is for n00bs.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By benpicko
    @Lebensbaum

@benpicko said:

Maybe I don't understand the question, but if you're good at one kind of shooter then it doesn't guarantee you'll be good at a different kind. Nor would your ability to do well in either indicate their merits as competitive games.

Yeah I don't really know what I was on about with that haha.
    Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slurpelve

Looks like Halo, which is great . I think my body is ready for some halo 4.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MistaSparkle: Man, I'd be much more excited for Halo games if the multiplayer worked like that Scarab fight in Halo 3.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Fosssil

Initial impressions:

-- Move speed: Default move speed still looks way too slow. I don't remember which video it was that the player (I think it was Elamite) used his ordinance to drop the new Speed Boost power-up, but the player traits that he gained after using that power-up should be the new default. When he was using Speed Boost he was moving much faster than normal, his strafe was much more effective, his reload animation was quicker, but sprint and rate of fire were unchanged. Halo 3 speed, while better than Reach's terrible default speed, is still much too slow.

-- Sprint: Could be alright in this game, if the kill times were faster. But it doesn't produce good gameplay when the minimum individual kill times are ~2 seconds (my rough estimate based on that footage of a BR 5-shot) and players can recharge their shields. One of my least favorite aspects of Reach was when I would shoot an opponent down to one-shot and then they would just duck their head and sprint to cover. I could barely notice a difference in sprint speed when the player was taking damage -- if they don't tweak that to make it more punishing before the final game then plenty of players are going to be running from fights with no penalty like they do in Reach.

-- Weapons: Some weapons looked promising (actually just the Carbine and Scattershot), but most of the guns looked pretty ineffective. The BR looks terrible; it reminds me of the pre-patch H2 BR with that horrible spread and a 5sk is way too long. DMR looks alright but I can't make a solid judgement based on the amount of footage shown in those vids. The Carbine wasn't shown much either but from what I could tell it didn't have bloom of any kind, so if it kills in less than 5 minutes it could be a viable weapon. Scattershot looks pretty cool although I don't see it being much more useful than the shotgun (343 kept talking about how you can shoot around corners with it but I haven't seen anyone use it to that effect in the footage we have). I didn't see a single person get a kill with the Sticky Detonator, though I assume it won't be that ineffective once players start to understand how it works a bit better. Storm Rifle seems a bit beefier than the 3/Reach PR but unless they give it Plasma Stun like the H1 PR then I probably won't bother using it much. The AR inexplicably looks more powerful than the Reach version (why the hell do they keep making the easiest gun in the game more effective?). The Rockets seem to have received a big nerf for no good reason; the flight time of the rocket seems to be longer than in the past and the blast radius was decreased pretty noticeably, so hopefully that gets fixed before launch. Not a huge fan of the Magnum being a 6sk with only 8 bullets in the clip, but I guess they're trying to relegate it exclusively to a secondary role so can't fault them too much for that.

-- AAs: Pretty much only saw Promethean Vision in action during this footage, and it was obviously OP. I think a good way to take it down a notch would be to limit the effective range and make it behave more like pulsing sonar instead of being pure X-ray vision. Saw a little bit of the Thruster Pack in action and I like the possibilities for that to be used in strafing/evasion.

-- Overall: Seems like a mixed bag. It looks like a solid core game but it could definitely benefit from an increase in pace, both in terms of kill speeds and movement speeds. I don't know if I would still enjoy playing the build they're showing in this footage after my thousandth game, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they can make some solid improvements before November.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Phatmac

Looks like Halo, which isn't a bad thing I guess.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By big_jon

@Phatmac: You look like Halo.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By benpicko

@big_jon said:

@Phatmac: You look like Halo.

No, you look like Halo!

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cmblasko

Seeing players through walls? I don't know about that, always felt that even the motion sensor was giving away too much information on opponents' locations.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48  Edited By impartialgecko

@big_jon: I'm not saying it has no depth, but I never experienced it on that level to understand why it's being considered a sport. Now Counterstrike I can understand, but Halo has always been a series that felt like it lends itself best to having fun in stupid ways.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By rapid

Interesting is the thermal vision a new ability and does it have a cool down period?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Rapid: There's a tiny meter right next to the mini-map.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.