Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

The Lost & Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony are collected onto this standalone disc of Grand Theft Auto IV's post-release content.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE BOMBCAST

• 64 results
    walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By walreese55

If you guys plan on buying TBOGT, do not listen to Ryan hating on the game. A lot of his grievances about the game seem unfounded. The story is really top-notch; the player sees what happens when people who achieve the American Dream start to have everything slip away. When you played as Niko, you keep hearing about making it big, but you never really see it. In TBOGT, you actually witness the good life and see why Niko and Roman want to make it on top. AS for the gameplay, you're doing a lot of crazier stuff than before. It doesn't fit 100% with the world, as Ryan said, but it's hella fun, which is what naysayers wanted after bemoaning the lack of san andreas-type gameplay. The side missions, especially base-jumping, are really fun and there is a lot of replay value. At the end of the day, it's GTA4 but bigger and better. I don't know what game Ryan was playing, but it definitely still holds up. If MW2 did not come out this year, this would be my GOTY. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Agreed. I find it laughable that GTA4 got 5 stars and BOGT only got 3. Perhaps he still had a little egg left in his beard about the absurdly high GTA4 review.

Or was that Jeff's review? I can't seem to find any staff reviews for anything other than BOGT on the GTA4 page.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red
    @brainboy77: Opinion. 

It's not fact.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

It's okay Ryan tends to hate on everything I noticed, but then again multiple Uwe Boll movies in a row would make me hate the world too.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By yetiantics
    @wolf_blitzer85:
    You're right. I blame Uwe for doing this to Ryan.
    Avatar image for electricboogaloo
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

Don't listen to someone else's opinion!

I agree with him, the story is lacking compared to GTAIV and TLAD, and Luis isn't a very endearing character with a lot of loose ends. It's still good and better than most, but GTA demands a certain degree of excellence that Gay Tony fails to reach, in my opinion, of course - before this gets treated like fact as well.

The dialogue is still fantastic, though.

TheJuda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheJuda

I thought TBOGT was fair.  It wasn't spectacular, but it was far from bad.  This is of course comparing it to IV and TLAD and being fair in the GTA universe is still miles ahead of many other games out there, many that cost a lot more than $20. The dialogue and scenes are still amazing and *most* of characters are top notch.  

When Ryan said it was looking out dated, I disagreed whole heartedly.  Yes, it's using an older engine but for what it does, it still looks great.  I liked Luis as a main character. He wasn't whiny like Jimmy and kept  a cool head in all regards, much like Carl did in San Andreas. The only real issue I had with TBOGT was they didn't spread out the missions.  

They had 3 helicopter missions in a row and then three parachuting missions in a row and so on.  If they mixed them up, it owuld have been better IMO.  Still, over all it was a great game for what it was.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Opinions are opinions and nothing can change that.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox
    @TheJuda said:
    " The only real issue I had with TBOGT was they didn't spread out the missions.    They had 3 helicopter missions in a row and then three parachuting missions in a row and so on.  If they mixed them up, it owuld have been better IMO. "
    The non-linear aspect of which mission giver your visit resolves this. You just unluckily followed that order. My game was pretty well spread.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10  Edited By natetodamax

If you don't listen to the Bombcast, you are a bad person.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By angelkanarias

I don't always agree with their opinions, but I won't stop listening because I am not in favor with some of their ideals. The podcast is great and you can use your own judgment for a game and rationalize the discussions, it's as simple as that. As long as you aren't a sheep of their opinions you should be ok. If you are, then you should jump from a rooftop, because with that behavior you won't do any good to our society.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By KamasamaK

Avoid opposing points of view at all costs!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Milkman

While I did enjoy The Ballad of Gay Tony a lot more than it seemed Ryan did, I certainly would talk his opinion over yours if I haven't played it yet.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Siris

Yes, we already know. Ryan was way off in his review.

TheJuda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheJuda
    @MrKlorox: 

True enough.  I can see how that would happen.  It was just the way my game played out.  I did try to space it out with random stranger missions but I always got to them at the wrong time.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By MildMolasses

Perhaps the title of this should be "Ignore Ryan's Opinion" rathet than your wording, which upon initial reading, implies that I shouldn't be listening to the podcast
    Shifty_Mcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shifty_Mcfly

His opinion is unfounded because it's different than yours, right. Why don't you just write a review rather than moan about it, and say Ryan's wrong. This expansion is based on a game that's almost 2 year old, things have changed. Why is it laughable that people have made better games in the time since GTA4 came out?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By End_Boss

Opinions are great.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By Sam_lfcfan

It's his opinion, dude. I liked the Ballad of Gay Tony, but I agree with Ryan on the dated controls.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo

Nah, listen to it.  I disagreed with most of it but I still like to hear what other people took from a game.

The main thing that stood out to me was the talk about the over-use of epithets compared to the OC and TLAD.  I took that to be a deliberate theme in the game, stemming from the title itself:  the protagonist doesn't use them and always rolls his eyes, chastises or throws them back at anybody else whenever they use them - he's also the only character (from what I've played so far) that isn't portrayed as a total loser.

I didn't feel like the Brucie scenes were played for laughs this time around, I found them quite uncomfortable to watch.  Brucie became an actual character rather than the characature he was in the OC.  Kinda like the development from Bernie to Gay Tony (the introduction of the Bernie character was the moment I realised I hated the GTA4 storyline btw).  It felt like Rockstar were tearing down a lot of the bullshit cliches they built up in GTA 4 and I found that very refreshing.

Yusuf took Brucie's old 'just for laughs' position in the game and, imo, trumped him handily.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By asurastrike

GTAIV felt dated when it came out in 2008. It feels even more dated now.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

So because Ryan dislikes TBOGT more than you, I shouldn't listen to the Bombcast? I'm still gonna get it whether Ryan likes it or not. Certainly not a reason stop listening to the only thing capable of making my Wednesday morning commute enjoyable.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By trophyhunter

well gta4 it's self is an awful game and I can't believe an add-on to it would make it any better

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gargantuan
    @natetodamax said:
    " If you don't listen to the Bombcast, you are a bad person. "
    Then I must be a horrible person since I've only listened to two or three bombcasts. Never more than 20 minutes too. It's more fun to play games than listen to guys talking about games. 

Back on topic though. I think TBOGT is much better than both the original story and TLAD, atleast so far.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25  Edited By natetodamax
    @Gargantuan said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    Then I must be a horrible person since I've only listened to two or three bombcasts. Never more than 20 minutes too. It's more fun to play games than listen to guys talking about games.   Back on topic though. I think TBOGT is much better than both the original story and TLAD, atleast so far. "
    Wasn't trying to insult anyone, just quoting Jeff Gerstmann, lol
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By Hailinel

Ryan hated on The Ballad of Gay Tony.

Ryan loved Rabbids Go Home.

Obviously, Ryan is a raging Wii fanboy and is only hating on TBOGT because of that.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " It's okay Ryan tends to hate on everything I noticed, but then again multiple Uwe Boll movies in a row would make me hate the world too. "
    No, Jeff is the one who tends to hate every thing, not Mr. Davis.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Gargantuan said:
    " It's more fun to play games than listen to guys talking about games. "
    Good thing some of us can multitask.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By C0V3RT

I don't support not listening to the Bombcast, but if you wanted to make your point you probably could have just given the time frame they talk about BOGT and tell people to skip that section.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Jimbo said:

" Kinda like the development from Bernie to Gay Tony (the introduction of the Bernie character was the moment I realised I hated the GTA4 storyline btw). "

TBF the early rendition of Gay Tony (and I don't mean visual -- in the few cutscenes that overlap with GTA4) wasn't far from Bernie. He and Evan both sounded and behaved very stereotypically. Though it was hard to tell with the little exposure given. But nothing compares to Reni from VCS.

/cringes and shudders
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Having played every GTA game besides London and Chinatown Wars, the series is never the best at anything it does. They always seem a step behind. That being said they are always fun.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox
    @C0V3RT said:
    "

I don't support not listening to the Bombcast, but if you wanted to make your point you probably could have just given the time frame they talk about BOGT and tell people to skip that section.

"
    I would totally start listening to (sections of) the Bombcast if there were timestamps of topic changes. I don't have the patience to sit through the boring ones.
    pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By pakx

i'm pretty sure i can disagree with the man and still enjoy the bombcast... how many times do these guys have to tell you that it's just an opinion before you get it through your head? there's a reason they allow user reviews on this site, if you disagree with Ryan on the game's quality, write a review, dont whine about it and try to mask your bitching as a boycott of some kind.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#34  Edited By beargirl1
    @natetodamax said:
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Opinions are opinions and nothing can change that. "
    Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Radar

Opinion vs opinion woooooahhh

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By breadfan

Whoa Whao Whao... 

People have different opinions?   

Mind blown.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By septim

I'm confused as to how you listened to the Bombcast and didn't understand the score (at least from his point of view).

Bad characters
    Lame story
    Clunky gameplay

Ryan didn't review GTA4 so who knows what he thought of it. Everyone agreed that the fundamental gameplay of GTA4 had aged terribly in the 18 months that its been out. Since its release Saint's Row 2, InFamous, and even Red Faction have made huge improvements to the open world style gameplay and mechanics. The thing that separated GTA was the amazing story and characters, unfortunately TBOGT has neither.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By DRE7777

This cant be your game of the year because its not even a game, its DLC, I was going along with what you were saying until you added that little statement at the end which exposed your stupidity, looks like im gonna side with Ryan on this one.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zombie2011

I kind of agree, when he said Rockstar is slipping i was kinda confused. All there games up to TBOGT were amazing and Ryan was the only reviewer that didn't like it.  
    Personally i thought this episode was the best episode it reminded me of the fun i had in San Andreas with all the crazy missions and stuff.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeffsekai

HOLD THE PHONE YOU MEAN SOMEONE HAD AN OPINION ON A GAME GOD DAMMIT!

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By walreese55

I did not write this post to bash Ryan. I just want to tell people not to be discouraged from buying this game due to Ryan's super negative comments.

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By walreese55
    @septim said:

" I'm confused as to how you listened to the Bombcast and didn't understand the score (at least from his point of view).  Bad characters Lame story Clunky gameplay  Ryan didn't review GTA4 so who knows what he thought of it. Everyone agreed that the fundamental gameplay of GTA4 had aged terribly in the 18 months that its been out. Since its release Saint's Row 2, InFamous, and even Red Faction have made huge improvements to the open world style gameplay and mechanics. The thing that separated GTA was the amazing story and characters, unfortunately TBOGT has neither. "

I didn't feel GTA4 had clunky controls, save the shitty helicopter controls, but I understand where you're coming from  . The first two points are complete bullshit; it may be your opinion, but it sure as shit ain't the opinion of the vast majority.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @septim said:
    " I'm confused as to how you listened to the Bombcast and didn't understand the score (at least from his point of view).  Bad characters Lame story Clunky gameplay  Ryan didn't review GTA4 so who knows what he thought of it. Everyone agreed that the fundamental gameplay of GTA4 had aged terribly in the 18 months that its been out. Since its release Saint's Row 2, InFamous, and even Red Faction have made huge improvements to the open world style gameplay and mechanics. The thing that separated GTA was the amazing story and characters, unfortunately TBOGT has neither. "
    Red Faction was a god awful game. 
    Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pinkshley1

Ryan hates on a lot of things.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By wizdom
    @MrKlorox:
    Jeff reviewed GT4
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheGremp

Oh no!  Ryan Davis has a different opinion then you!  Thanks for warning me...  Now I won't listen to the bombcast.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@DRE7777 said:
    " This cant be your game of the year because its not even a game, its DLC, I was going along with what you were saying until you added that little statement at the end which exposed your stupidity, looks like im gonna side with Ryan on this one. "
    Is this a joke? Just because you download it doesn't mean it isn't a game. The Ballad of Gay Tony is still a game. Besides, it isn't even exclusively DLC. It comes on a disc too, you know (not that that really matters). Instead of exposing his stupidity, you've only exposed your own (unless you're joking, which I really hope you are).

And for anyone confused on what Ryan's thoughts were on GTA IV can listen to the 2008 Game of the Year Bombcast.
    ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ashton
    @natetodamax said:
    word
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mordukai
    @Hailinel said:
    " Ryan hated on The Ballad of Gay Tony.

Ryan loved Rabbids Go Home.

Obviously, Ryan is a raging Wii fanboy and is only hating on TBOGT because of that.

"
    Not to mention that all the guys are avid 360 fanboys. The stupidity never ends. I don't know why some people these days can't make up thier own damn minds.  

Ryan didn't like it...ohh nooo! the world is crushing. 
    DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By DRE7777
    @Vito_Raliffe:
    Rereleases with added DLC are never considered for game of the year because they aren't new games, they are Rereleases. The Ballad of Gay Tony is not a game at all, its an add on to a game that already came out over a year and a half ago which obviously makes the mechanics and gameplay feel obviously dated as Ryan was saying. This thread is completely stupid, if you like the add on thats cool, but trying to say it could have been a game of the year even though the game itself came out a year and a half ago is completely stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.