Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War Collection

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

A high definition re-release of God of War and God of War II for PlayStation 3.

What Exactly Does Remastered Mean?

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By sjschmidt93

So they say it's gonna be in 720p and all right, but how will it look? As good as God of War 3 just with all of the PS2's technical limitations, for some reason I don't think that's true, partially because I'd be willing to bet God of War 3 will be in 1080p. I guess my question is something made in 480i (or 480p? not sure) and changed to 720p the same as just making a 720p game, because if this makes God of War 1 & 2 look as good as God of War 3 that will be really fucking cool.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

Enhancing the quality of a previous released piece of work. Audio is remastered (i.e. Guitar Hero & Rock Band), so God of War 1 & 2 being remastered means their visual quality is being bumped up. I doubt God of War 1 & 2 will look as good as God of War 3, but they'll probably have some significantly better visuals than just being a PS2 game.

God of War 1 & 2 were great looking PS2 games, so I'm interested in seeing how much better it'll look on the PS3.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Hopefully something similar to Ninja Gaiden Sigma will be done [although not to quite the same extent], and they actually recreate some of the assests, rather than just slapping on some anti-alaising and calling it a day.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

You guys are dreaming. It'll be improved without a doubt, but it'll still look like a Playstation 2 game, just optimised. Don't expect them to be redoing art assets or what not, because I doubt that's in the plans.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Drebin_893
    @get2sammyb said:
    " You guys are dreaming. It'll be improved without a doubt, but it'll still look like a Playstation 2 game, just optimised. Don't expect them to be redoing art assets or what not, because I doubt that's in the plans. "
    Yep. 
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

Nor should it be really, isn't it retailing for $40? That's a great price for two of the best Playstation 2 games, running in an optimised state, with access to the God Of War III demo and potentially two platinum trophies. As far as I'm concerned, that's a fantastic deal.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ket87

I doubt GoW3 will be in 1080p, I can't think of a single Sony first party title that wasn't 720p. Even most third party games don't play over 720 unless you have 1080p native HD-TV. The only exception to the Sony 720p rule seems to be Killzone 2 but that was only 1080i and at that  it was a pain in the ass to achieve that because it forces every other game you played to be 480p unless you reset your HD settings.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Wolverine
    @SJSchmidt93: The graphics are better. They do the same thing with movies all the time. Do you know how many times a new "remastered" version of the Star Wars Trilogy has come out.
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By torus

There is no need to 'redo' art assets. Developers don't just throw out all the original high-resolution textures for their games, nor do they create them originally in low-res. It's entirely conceivable that the devs are using the original asset sources to get better quality, which wasn't possible on the PS2 (where the textures had to be highly compressed). Now, game models are a bit harder to do this with- although they indubitably have the original high-poly models, it's not quite as trivial to reduce them to the PS3's specifications (although again, entirely conceivable).

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

IT'S MORE MASTERED MASTERY+ GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

I honestly can't wait for this release. I never actually owned a PS2 so missed the chance to play the God of War games but now that I have a PS3... this is my chance!

You can definitely notice a difference in the trailer. They look a lot more detailed but obviously not as good as God of War 3 will look.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By copycatzen

same number of polygons and same textures... so dont expect too much 
    Ill get it just for the trophies LOL
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

It looks pretty damn good after playing GW1 for a couple hours. LIke a PS2 game, but you're now playing in native widescreen, so that's a big plus. And the filters they have are basically in place to make the bump-up in resolution not make everything look like shit, which they've accomplished. So yeah it just basically looks like a PS2 game, but playing in HD, however you can imagine that. The biggest plus for me, other than the convenience of having these games I haven't played on one disk, would be the consistent 60fps. Makes the killin' smoooooth (even when Kratos is far from it, hah).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.