Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FTL: Faster Than Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 14, 2012

In this roguelike space sim, players are tasked with commanding a customized starship on an important mission through a randomized universe, with vile rebels nipping at their heels.

Playing on Easy

ikusaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ikusaba

So is the general consensus that you must beat this game on easy first then move to normal? I just bought the game and am getting destroyed in normal. Yet it feels sort of dirty playing on easy.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zeik

Obviously you don't have to, but it would make beating it on normal easier, as it would be easier to unlock new stuff. Up to you whether you're willing to do it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

@ikusaba: You don't have to, but it's probably advisable.

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gahzoo

I did.

And I'm usually the guy that jumps in on the hardest difficulty that the game allows first (unless it's REALLY FUCKING hard meant as a second playthrough for sure)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

You really should.

Think of it this way - 'Easy' is actually 'Hard' and 'Normal' is actually 'Ultra Fucking Hard'.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By gaminghooligan

Maybe I just suck, but I had to play it on easy the first time through to even stand a chance at the final boss.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By rentfn

I've played on easy for five hours and haven't beaten it yet. Easy gets really hard, I would hate to check out normal. Well maybe not crazy hard but you get in situations that spiral out of control so fast.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BisonHero
    @ikusaba You can use easy to get a bit of practice with the game's systems and maybe unlock a few ships, but yeah, once you've seen the intended difficulty of the game, easy does feel pretty dirty.
    For what it's worth, I started playing the game during the beta on normal, and just toughed it out, and I still had fun with the game, and still play it over a hundred hours later.
    jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jdh5153

I get destroyed on easy....Never got to the end...Don't really play much anymore...Maybe they'll patch it and make it easier one day.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

Personally, I've played the majority of my games on Normal.

When I switched to Easy it felt like the game was beating me in the chest with a 2x4 instead of in the face with a hammer and that made me enjoy it less.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By chilibean_3

I still can't beat it on easy. I can get to the boss regularly but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to beat it. Maybe I need to readjust my goals for runs and try to unlock some stuff instead of beat the game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BisonHero
    @chilibean_3

I still can't beat it on easy. I can get to the boss regularly but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to beat it. Maybe I need to readjust my goals for runs and try to unlock some stuff instead of beat the game.

The different ships ultimately have the same systems, so by the time you reach the boss, many of your ships can have similar configurations of shields, engines, doors, etc., if you so choose. To beat the boss, you basically need 2 things: a teleporter and your own 2-man boarding party, and a way to punch through lvl 4 shields. The boarding party is to assault the isolated weapon rooms; barring that, you could use missiles or bombs to assault the weapons, but it will take a lot of time and missiles because the one crewman in each weapon room will keep repairing until you kill him. Aside from that, figure out what level of shields and engines you prefer; you don't NEED to max them, but having 6 energy in each when facing the boss is a good baseline. Having a defense drone really helps against missiles and boarding drones, but if you can't find one, cloaking helps to a certain extent as well.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The starting ships are complete garbage, unlock them all in Easy then enjoy Normal.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mellotronrules

i wouldn't let the labels 'easy' and 'normal' get to you. it's all relative anyway- think super hexagon, that first level is labelled 'hard.'

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Synaptic

I'd unlock a bunch of ships/layouts on easy and play them in normal once you've gotten options and understand the systems more.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

@BisonHero said:

@chilibean_3

The different ships ultimately have the same systems, so by the time you reach the boss, many of your ships can have similar configurations of shields, engines, doors, etc., if you so choose. To beat the boss, you basically need 2 things: a teleporter and your own 2-man boarding party, and a way to punch through lvl 4 shields. The boarding party is to assault the isolated weapon rooms; barring that, you could use missiles or bombs to assault the weapons, but it will take a lot of time and missiles because the one crewman in each weapon room will keep repairing until you kill him. Aside from that, figure out what level of shields and engines you prefer; you don't NEED to max them, but having 6 energy in each when facing the boss is a good baseline. Having a defense drone really helps against missiles and boarding drones, but if you can't find one, cloaking helps to a certain extent as well.

If you have a good stock of parts, a repair drone can make the boss pretty easy, too. But I'd say that the most useful upgrade is actually maxing out evasion. With a fully-levelled pilot and max evasion, even the missile/drone spam the boss does barely does any damage.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It's hard and harder, don't let society put labels on your game's difficulty.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BisonHero
    @Ravenlight

@BisonHero said:

@chilibean_3

If you have a good stock of parts, a repair drone can make the boss pretty easy, too. But I'd say that the most useful upgrade is actually maxing out evasion. With a fully-levelled pilot and max evasion, even the missile/drone spam the boss does barely does any damage.

This is true. Still, the reason I say you CAN skip the last 2 levels is due to diminishing returns: they're quite expensive, and only give 3% and 4% each, compared to 5% earlier. The difference between 48% and 55% isn't that big, and sometimes the money is better spent if you're short on money that game. But Easy is more forgiving with money, so yeah, I guess you should usually be able to max it.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar

Honestly I feel its part luck. Some ships are made with certain set ups in mind. Yet what the stores inventory is, and of course the random way events can unfold all make it so that you need a bit of luck to get things to align up to actually have a viable ship at the end. Playing it on easy actually makes it so you don't need the luck factor to win.

Or at least that's what I'm saying to myself whenever I play the game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

There's a fair amount of foreknowledge stuff (knowing what events screw you over etc.) going into it the first time but if you're good or interested in RTS's you'll probably have an easy enough time with easy. Normal is basically random luck + effectiveness of player agency and the ship you chose.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Don't feel bad playing on easy just because it's called "Easy". The names of the modes are just the names of the modes, while the actual difficulties behind them are something else. Easy is difficult enough that it makes sense to play on that until you can do at least reasonably well at the game.

evilb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By evilb0y

@ikusaba: You don't have to, playing on easy give you more scrap & it's would be easier to unlock new ship, which make Normal easier. I found myself keep losing on easy, I only beated the game once on easy

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By confirm4crit
    @BeachThunder

You really should.

Think of it this way - 'Easy' is actually 'Hard' and 'Normal' is actually 'Ultra Fucking Hard'.

I enjoy that analogy
    TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

I got far more lucky on normal...just had a crew of 7 going just today...I'll stick to normal. I also played DMC3 on normal which was the japanese hard, I like a challenge.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.