jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187
http://www.ocala.com/article/20091021/ARTICLES/910211015/1402/NEWS  

Talk about some of the most ridiculous shit in the world!  This guys decides to do the RIGHT thing by preventing a guy from successfully shoplifting, as well as ensuring that no one else around was going to be harmed with the knife that the thief pulled out...and Wal-Mart FIRED him based on their "no-chase policy". 

What do you think?  Should the dood have lost his job when he was basically doing his job?  Granted, I'm sure that $42 in golf balls is chump change compared to Wal-Mart, but nonetheless, telling this guy "you're fired, and it's a non-rehirable offense" is just bullshit to me! 
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

That's just dumb. On another note, why would somebody steal $42 of golf balls in the first place?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Bullshit indeed.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Well it is Wal-Mart were talking about here. I really sympathise with the guy.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By unclejohnny79

what the hell is a no-chase policy? are they just gonna let poeple run away with their stuff?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zeforgotten

Wow, are you serious? 
I would love to hop inside their heads and just find out what goes through their mind when they come up with great ideas like that. 
That's fucking bullshit. 

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By unclejohnny79

whoa hes 65? thats just sad

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ

It is a shame, especially since it's nothing new. I saw a thing where a guy successfully restrained a bank robber and was fired for that too.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ArchScabby

I used worked at Smith's and they had the same no chase policy.  If I saw someone stealing I was supposed to tell a manager.  Doesn't do much good though someone shoplifted once and the manager confronted him as he got in his car, but the guy tried to escape so the manager stood behind his car, and he reversed anyway and almost ran him over.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By crunchUK

Duh, that's his reward for catching the burglar! 

Oh and on a serious note, battling armed robberies probably isn't covered by their insurance policy and they don't want to get sued which could be worth a lot more than golf balls

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
@unclejohnny79 said:
" whoa hes 65? thats just sad "
No...
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187

I understand that a "no-chase policy" helps to keep the people working security and such safe, as well as the company from dealing with bullshit assault lawsuits and such.  However, it shows just how fucking feeble we are as a society when we will just LET someone steal something.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@unclejohnny79 said:

" what the hell is a no-chase policy? are they just gonna let poeple run away with their stuff? "

For most stores it's far cheaper to let people run away with their stuff than to pay proper security guards & insurance to cover the security guards. They generally just hire security guards as a "visual presence" - i.e. it's their job to stand there all day doing nothing.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bubahula

thats really fucked up. dudes just doing his job and making sure people don't get hurt

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Most stores have a no chase policy. Most say that  you can not follow a suspect after they have left the curb in front of the store. Some say that you can not even follow them out of the door. It is put in place so that they will not be liable for any injuries or death that may occur. Is it right? No. They should reward someone for doing their job especially if they don't get hurt or hurt anyone around them. But rules are rules and he broke them unfortunately. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

Maybe Wal Mart has a "don't run with sharp objects" policy, and thought chasing people would encourage that.....no, wait, this is just kinda sad. You know you should only fire the guy if they don't catch the criminal :P.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
@MattyFTM said:
" @unclejohnny79 said:
" what the hell is a no-chase policy? are they just gonna let poeple run away with their stuff? "
For most stores it's far cheaper to let people run away with their stuff than to pay proper security guards & insurance to cover them. They generally just hire security guards as a "visual presence" - i.e. it's their job to stand there all day doing nothing. "
Well shit, I'm gonna load down with DVDs and take off running from now on!  Hell, if they can't chase me, and I'm not going to be prosecuted or even caught for it because they can't chase me...then Hell...I fucking win!
unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By unclejohnny79
@CL60:  he said hes 65? and he cant come back to be a greeter? did i read it wrong
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CoverlessTech
@jakob187 said:

"What do you think?  Should the dood have lost his job when he was basically doing his job?"

That was not his job. His job description says not to approach thieves. They have the police for that.

They have this policy because if said employee got hurt in his heroics it would more then likely cost the company way more money then the amount of stuff one guy can guy can get out of the store with.

He is a risk to the company so he has to go.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@unclejohnny79 said:
no he was making a point that when he turns 65 he still can't work there, wal-mart has a heavy paper department that keeps records from back to when the store started and if you fucked up then your unhireable. Wal-mart is the shittiest place to work.

As for the policy if a suspect leaves the store your not allowed to follow.
And its a stupid policy.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

Pulling a knife to steal golf balls...

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zeforgotten
@jakob187 said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" @unclejohnny79 said:
For most stores it's far cheaper to let people run away with their stuff than to pay proper security guards & insurance to cover them. They generally just hire security guards as a "visual presence" - i.e. it's their job to stand there all day doing nothing. "
Well shit, I'm gonna load down with DVDs and take off running from now on!  Hell, if they can't chase me, and I'm not going to be prosecuted or even caught for it because they can't chase me...then Hell...I fucking win! "
I'll get the van! 
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar

Its this kind of shit that urges people to steal more.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By s-a-n-JR

That is just fucked up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@CL60 said:
"That's just dumb. On another note, why would somebody steal $42 of golf balls in the first place? "

they needed some balls.
unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By unclejohnny79
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @unclejohnny79 said:
no he was making a point that when he turns 65 he still can't work there, wal-mart has a heavy paper department that keeps records from back to when the store started and if you fucked up then your unhireable. Wal-mart is the shittiest place to work. As for the policy if a suspect leaves the store your not allowed to follow. And its a stupid policy. "
ohhh right, sorry about that
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By s-a-n-JR
@Godlyawesomeguy: 

He looooooves them balls.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By beargirl1

what the fuck?! if anything, they should be praising the fucking man. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive

Fuck walmart. he can go to any supermarket and get hired immediately, especially at one that has a union. Most supermarkets, like the one i worked at (shoprite) dont have a no-chase policy, and actually i took out a couple of guys onces who tried to run past me after shoplifting. and my manager gave me a pat on the back. 

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By whyzenheimer

This is standard policy for most every retail corporation.  The thought behind it is two-fold.  First, nothing in the store is worth a human life, especially not $42 in golf balls.  Secondly, if you accidentally, or intentionally :) , happen to injure the suspected thief, he then has grounds for legal recourse.

I totally agree with you guys in principle, and if I ran a privately owned business I would probably put my life in danger over some stupid shit, but from the point of view of a major corporation it just makes you too much of a risk to keep as an employee.

Man that sucks.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CoverlessTech
@jakob187 said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" @unclejohnny79 said:
Well shit, I'm gonna load down with DVDs and take off running from now on!  Hell, if they can't chase me, and I'm not going to be prosecuted or even caught for it because they can't chase me...then Hell...I fucking win! "
I hope you are joking. They have security cams and eye witnesses. You will be prosecuted for it, you well just be caught by the cops and not the "security" at wal-mart.
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By C0V3RT

I disagree - the guy was putting himself and others at risk. Lets say the thief is armed and shoots the employee.  At that point a gun has been brought out and the lives of other customers and employees are at risk. 

Similar story from a few months back.  A guy robs a bank and a teller hops the counter, chases the robber down and tackles/detains him until authorities arrive.  The teller got fired.  

Stores have security cameras for a reason.

Silly way to go, but why put your body in harms way for a replaceable material posession.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@CoverlessTech said:

" @jakob187 said:

" @MattyFTM said:
" @unclejohnny79 said:
I hope you are joking. They have security cams and eye witnesses. You will be prosecuted for it, you well just be caught by the cops and not the "security" at wal-mart. "
I'm fairly sure he was joking. I mean, Jakob is an idiot, but not THAT much of an idiot :P
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RetroIce4

Wow. That really sucks. Who steals golf balls then threatens people with a knife? XD

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By natetodamax

That's just wrong.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho

I don't really know what was in it for the cashier, doing this. He's not stealing from you, he's stealing from the corporation that just fired you. This is stupid for multiple reasons and one of those reasons is this guy made a scene protecting Wal Mart merchandise, and that's stupid.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks

It is bullshit, but if it's policy it has to do with insurance, and with a high profile case such as this, it's an inevitable outcome.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CL60
@ryanwho said:

" I don't really know what was in it for the cashier, doing this. He's not stealing from you, he's stealing from the corporation that just fired you. This is stupid for multiple reasons and one of those reasons is this guy made a scene protecting Wal Mart merchandise, and that's stupid. "

Read the article please :/

He was a security guard AKA  "asset protection officer"
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JoelTGM

I'm confused.  What is the security guard allowed to do?  Does this mean I can go to Walmart and steal Uncharted 2, and they can't chase me when I make my escape?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CL60
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" I'm confused.  What is the security guard allowed to do?  Does this mean I can go to Walmart and steal Uncharted 2, and they can't chase me when I make my escape? "
Pretty much.
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Amorfati

I feel sorry for the shoplifter. Fuck the guy, he deserves to get fired. Hard-working criminals deserve more.

MagicKiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MagicKiwi

I work at a video store, and we have very similar policies. We have a lot more stuff stolen than you might think. But, we don't have the right to ask you to open your bag, stop when you beep, damn near anything. Steal something, I can't do anything.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By DanielJW
@Sanj said:
" @Godlyawesomeguy:  He looooooves them balls. "
Ahahahaha! 

And yeah I think it's kind of dumb. They should have just given him a warning.
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Hahaha the shoplifter put golf balls in his pants. 

Although, I do feel bad for the guy.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Brunchies

That is the dumbest thing I heard in a while. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By Suicrat

Sounds like either this guy isn't informed on company policy or he wasn't sufficiently-informed by his superiors as to company policy. But anyone who's ever had a job in retail theft prevention understands the purpose of a given company's no-chase policy. Theft prevention security guards are visible deterrents. That is to say, security firms that are contracted to do this work hire big, bulky people who look intimidating, but their job is to keep watch on the store proper and not chase a person into the parking lot or mall (i.e., outside of the store proper.) When you flout this policy you put yourself and others around you at risk. A security guard is not a law-enforcement officer, nor does he have the training, knowhow, or arms to handle threatening situations the way a police officer trained for duty does. If a company didn't have a no-chase policy (or any other explicit policy with regards to how theft-prevention personnel should do their jobs), then employees would do "whatever they think is necessary" to apprehend shoplifters, whether that be assaulting suspects, foricbly detaining them, or putting themselves, fellow employees, or customers at risk, all of these activities are liability risks. Companies exist to profit from the provision of products and services, not dump their cash into the ambulance-chaser industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MisoRonery said:
" This is standard policy for most every retail corporation.  The thought behind it is two-fold.  First, nothing in the store is worth a human life, especially not $42 in golf balls.  Secondly, if you accidentally, or intentionally :) , happen to injure the suspected thief, he then has grounds for legal recourse.  I totally agree with you guys in principle, and if I ran a privately owned business I would probably put my life in danger over some stupid shit, but from the point of view of a major corporation it just makes you too much of a risk to keep as an employee.  Man that sucks. "
&
@CoverlessTech said:
" @jakob187 said:

"What do you think?  Should the dood have lost his job when he was basically doing his job?"

That was not his job. His job description says not to approach thieves. They have the police for that.  They have this policy because if said employee got hurt in his heroics it would more then likely cost the company way more money then the amount of stuff one guy can guy can get out of the store with.  He is a risk to the company so he has to go. "

Yes. Finally people understand instead of just saying "hey that's not fair, he was trying to stop crime!"

The reason why Wal-Mart and other major companies are so strict on this policy is because if things go wrong, they could be in waaayy more legal trouble.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48  Edited By Suicrat

Also, to those of you who think the revelation that security guards are not a form of enforcement, but instead a mere visible deterrent, don't let that fool you into thinking you can get away with shoplifting. Theft prevention personnel work in vertically-integrated operations that collect evidence against profiteer shoplifters so that they can prosecute them. You might be able to get away with stealing a game or two, but if they keep seeing your face on the cameras and in the notes of the security guards, that data will be collated and you will be prosecuted.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@CL60 said:
" why would somebody steal $42 of golf balls in the first place? "
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheHBK

Dude, first off, they have security guards to do this.
The store is thinking about the worker first and foremost, not his quest for glory.  What would have happened if the worker got shanked.  Walmart would have to pay for his funeral and shit.  You think that they will allow anyone to chase a robber, much less one who is armed?  And if they specifically tell you, don't do this shit, and you do, you are a liability and not following what you job is.  He was not doing his job and thats why he got fired.  You can keep someone if they wont follow your safety policies.  The idea is to keep the worker and the customers safe.  You see he chases that fool, the guy pulls a knife, woker gets shanked, now what?  A customer could be next.  Good fucking work bro, you got someone stabbed.  Just because he got the guy, doesn't mean it could play out differently later.
 @TwoOneFive: I am sure you did