What next-gen console did you buy or going to buy?

• 57 results
Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What next-gen console did you buy or going to buy? (216 votes)

PS5 48%
Xbox Series X 19%
Both 20%
I'll stick with PC 13%

Xbox Series X is becoming more and more the best match for me as I have always been monogamist towards my consoles and stick with one console towards the end of its gen. Of course I always have my PC to support us but they don't seem to mind 😅

So, I'm interested what you guys have gotten or planning to get.

If you are currently an owner of a next-gen console, then please let us know what you think 😇

• 
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Efesell  Online

I'll pick up a PS5 in the coming months.

I feel like having a PC sort of negates the need for any of the Xboxes entirely? Anything I would need there is just gonna be on game pass.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I currently have gamepass on PC but the number of games is quite limited compared to Xbox. I have realised that it's mostly true for major publishers. For example we never had DMC5 or Red Dead 2 on PC game pass.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an Xbox Series X and would like to get a PS5 but have had no luck.

I like my Series X and use it a lot, but honestly I do think it is duplicative of a gaming PC (I don't have a gaming PC) and not at all necessary for anyone who already has an Xbox. It is very much an incremental upgrade. There's no real reason to wait because all signs are pointing to no price drop happening for a long time, but you're definitely not missing out by not having one yet.

As for Gamepass...I'm pretty sure the PC side will keep improving. I don't know if there will ever be full parity for a bunch of reasons, but PC has also gotten stuff that Xbox hasn't gotten at times. I do like Gamepass a lot and I think it's a decent argument for Xbox against PS5's better exclusives and hardware.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS5 when everything lines up.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Didn't have Sony console last gen and since most of their exclusives don't come to pc... However, I will wait for some hardware revision, those high RAM temps sound bad.

sandm0rph22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What. Where's the Series S love lol

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Efesell  Online

@giant_gamer: Sure but the way I see it anything that's going to be Exclusive to Xbox is definitely going to be on Game pass so getting a PS5 covers all bases.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Me getting a PS5 will be an eventuality.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Got a Series S. PC is my primary but I want to replace my Rock Band machine One X with something even smaller and speedier.

I do plan on getting a PS5 when they become available so I can play the exclusives. That's about it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I got a PS5, which is really the only option for myself. I play pretty much every multiplatform game on PC, so exclusives are really the only determining factor for which console I purchase. Since every Xbox game is going to be on PC, and that's where I'd want to play them anyway, there is literally no reason I can think of to buy an Xbox.

I've enjoyed a lot of Sony's first party stuff and look forward to a lot of the stuff they have coming in the future. Another factor is my friends list of Destiny folks on Playstation. I play that game on PC when I can, but a lot people I play with are Playstation only, so having a PS5 makes the Destiny experience a lot closer to PC when I need to play on console.

I'm also excited for Microsoft's renewed focus on first party games and particularly look forward to stuff from Obsidian. Still, PC is the place I'd want to play that stuff.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS5 and PC -- both when inventory becomes available. I'm not going to be participating in the twitter lotteries. Bullpuckies!

Absolutely no inerest in Xbox these days.

asylumrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a PS5 and an Xbox Series S. The PS5 was kind of a no-brainer: I still have a sizeable backlog of PS4 games I wanna play, and knowing I can still just pop those in the PS5 and pick back up were I left off has been pretty nice. I anticipate the PS5 will probably be my daily driver as far as consoles go (I also have a gaming PC, but I like having options available. Some games I just don't wanna play on PC!)

I get Game Pass for free through work, so I decided to pick up a Series S as a little Game Pass box, and it's nice! It's cool just to have a box that I basically never have to worry about buying video games for, and is full of games for me to pick up and play every once in a while. I already finished Gears 4 and Sunset Overdrive, and I'm slowly making my way back through the Master Chief Collection.

I'm definitely fortunate to be in this situation, but I like having options available!

MtnDoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MtnDoo

I would probably opt for the PS5 if I could get away with it. The only problem is that I've got the VR itch. I think some of the titles on Steam are attractive, but, can anyone teach a Nintendo baby such as myself how to man up and ascend to a godly plane.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to favor whicher brand I have momentum with initially. Which is why I was initially set on an Xbox One after the 360 despite being Sony mainly up to the 360, though I still got a PS3 for exclusives. But the PS4 just fit me better (and I remember being initially put off by the XONE controller). So now I was already kind of comfortable with the idea of going PS5 and having both consoles out, I don’t think that will change. But if my finances allow eventually, I might get an Xbox as well if there’s enough Xbox exclusive games. But for now I’m set on a PS5 only.

raremonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a series x, but I used Microsoft points for it through the rewards program. So didn't have to pay for it. I will get a ps5 at some point. Most likely the discless version.

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlie_victor_bravo: The high ram temps concern me as well so I'm going to wait just like you. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of availability has killed my fomo, and now I'm at a steady "meh".

I'll get a PS5 some day.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Managed to get both day 1

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I have a PS5. I am undecided if I should get a Series X or invest in a PC. Luckily Microsoft's first party teams are giving me time to decide.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We picked up a PS5. While I enjoy Forza and Halo, I just like more stuff on Sony's platform.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I got both. Decided not to upgrade my PC this generation as it would take more than $500, and aside from gaming I won't need a supped up PC for anything else.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that 26% of respondents at this juncture did the same. I expected less.

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upgraded my PC recently, so I'm good. Can't justify purchasing a closed system in addition to it given the lack of console exclusives, but I appreciate not everyone is as fortunate to be in the same position.

Rohsiph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did it. I have both the things. not planning to upgrade my pc until I upgrade my career. the new boxes are great.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nicksmi56

When I get to it, PS5. There are some PS4 exclusives I wanna try plus one or two I already own. Gotta love that sweet, sweet backwards compatibility.

Also Xbox's line up of games has never really appealed to me sooo...

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a ps4, but I don't have a gaming pc, so when series x goes on sale eventually, I'm getting it. The game pass model is just too good of an offer to ignore, and I like the idea of switching between consoles with each generation. It gives me a nice back catalogue to play while waiting for new games.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to GameTrack, I have a backlog of 265 games with 15 on PS4 and the rest on PC... I see the PS5 as the most interesting option for me, but maybe in a year or two.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably stick with the Playstation ecosystem just because I'm so entrenched in it already. Down the line I might also get a Series X. The value prop of Game Pass is really appealing, assuming my ISP doesn't lower my data caps.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I have a gaming PC, an Xbox One S, an Xbox 360, and an original Xbox - I've got Xbox as well-covered as I possibly can. There's no reason to buy an Xbox Series S or X for me, unless I just really want an easy-to-use game console in the living room (I actually really do, but I'd rather just build a gaming PC that boots straight to Steam Big Picture at this point).

PS5 is a slightly different story. I was looking to get one on launch day and if the bots weren't such a huge problem, I almost certainly would have one and a few games sitting in my living room right now. That is not the case and, looking back, it's best that I didn't get one. PS5s currently have issues with RAM not being cooled well enough, which may be a bigger issue in the future. And the thing is monstrously enormous, so really I'd like to wait for a hardware revision. Even then, I'm not a hundred percent sure I'll be getting one. I have a huge PC backlog, much of which I would really like to finish someday. I'm not huge on most of Sony's exclusives - they all seem like great games until I sit down to play them, at which point I lose interest real fast. I mostly want one to play Demon's Souls and so I can play better versions of some of the PS4 games I have. That's kinda it, and it's hard to justify spending $500 on that console when I can buy a 3070 for the same price and use it on my preferred platform.

digitaldisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went for the XSX because I am heavily bought into the platform and was able to get that double GamePass Ultimate deal that Brad talked about. I have GPU until late 2022. For me it was a no brainer.

Still, I will buy a PS5 when the slim, all digital revision comes out and the price drops so I can play some Sony 1st party and hopefully some Ps4 titles I missed. Assuming such a model is released.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

PS5 at some point for me. I'm not exactly in a big hurry though. I didn't get a PS4 until 2 years after it was released so I imagine it'll be the same for the PS5.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on PC so Xbox is pretty much redundant. I'll probably buy a PS5 in a year or two when it has more exclusives. If a Switch 2 comes out in 2021 that would be my next purchase.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#35 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'm still unsure what my next upgrade will be. I want to lean towards updating my PC but that might require a GPU, CPU, and RAM upgrade. Not to mention PSU. That's a lot for one upgrade.

So I'm learning Xbox. The Xbox One updated pretty regularly and for the most part, held up well for me. I enjoy my PS4 quite a bit but the Game Pass on Xbox would give me access to 75% of the games I intend to play.

Also, I still don't like the PS5 design. I feel like I'd need to explain it to everyone who came over and honestly I don't have an explanation.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no "none" option? I don't have a gaming PC, and I'm happy sticking with PS4 and Switch for now. I may *eventually* pick up a PS5, but I don't have a strong desire to do that atm. I have no interest in Xbox.

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I'll be getting a Series X. I am highly invested in the Xbox ecosystem. Getting a Series X means that I can pass on my One-X to a buddy of mine for free because it will help foster gaming between us. With system link being a known quantity across multiple generations it will be nice to maybe go on a road trip and system link some Halo or Gears on a snowboarding trip (in case it's the worst snowboarding trip and we resort to playing videogames). Their last gen controllers will work. Current gen controllers will work. There's a wealth of 360 games with co-op and system link that even the most gamer of gamers hasn't explored solo let alone in co-op or system linked.

Besides, I think Game Pass will be the veritable dumping ground for every game that ever was at some point. Find the balance between leaving your legacy games full price on every other marketplace (it's not worth the time to fiddle with price point) and negotiate with Microsoft for gamepass compensation. Let your games get played and build up a following. Hype your next release.

For me I won't be staying in the gamepass universe for long. It is nice to have exposure to tons of games but I've got enough stray games on disc laying around that I could stock a bar on new years eve (any year other than 2020) without even mentioning my digital collection and the assault on time that free epic games and ubisoft games are doing to my future free time.

I can't get down with Sony's 20 hour game business model. Though i would like a PS5 the physical system design is too try-hard and at $400-$500 it's not competitive. Looking at PS4 prices are still out of control and I'll pick up a PS4 Pro when the new-in-box price is $199. I'll be able to catch most if not all of PS5s first few years of releases since they aren't doing much new besides whatever Ratchet is doing, which to me seems just like it could be done with art direction on a PS4.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I've had a series X since launch, it's a pretty cool machine.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I'm hoping to eventually pick up a ps5 in 2021.

Still not psyched about the storage space though.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I really like the design and look of the series X compared to the PS5. I know that doesn't make up for the lack of compelling new titles on the Xbox. Hopefully (Hopefully ) that will change. I'm going to give MS the benefit of the doubt on this one.

JonnoHay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was fortunate enough to get a PS5. I chiefly saw it as a kind of upgrade from the launch PS4 that I bought and made sure I maintained and looked after. It also matched up with my PS4 games and where my friends were. I'm happy with it, it's not without its teething issues but on the whole, it's been a solid purchase.

I'll definitely get an Xbox at some point, they also look excellent. I haven't owned an Xbox since the 360, it's more how the last gen turned out for me. I was studying and being a stay at home dad for a few years so money was tight. I'm working now and had to hustle and sell some of my collection to make it through. But now we're both earning and have paid off almost all our credit and I managed to hold on to everything I really wanted. So it was kind of a treat to myself (and the family as we all play) for making it through some tough years with a big old slice of 2020 on the top as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS5 for me. I got a PS4 right at launch but, I'm thinking of waiting for more games/availability before I get a PS5. Until then PS4/PC will suit me just fine.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Probably gonna get a ps5 holiday 2021

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By BaneFireLord

I will eventually get both because this is my favorite hobby and I'm an idiot. Probably won't be getting either in the particularly near future though, since I just built a new PC.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should be options for "series S" and "havent decided yet" and "waiting for nintendos next system".

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Bought a Series X at launch and will buy a PS5 at some point. Or actually I did buy a PS5 already but immediately sold it forward to a friend of mine who was way more excited about the console than I was. I can wait a few more months, because the only thing I'd want to play on the PS5 at this point is Astro.

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By davidfox1983

I've been trying to get a PS5 for a while but stocks here (in Japan) are so low and every retailer just goes by the lottery system. Even some companies who have no past in video games get a few in and announce a lottery. I assume just so they can get a zillion sign-ups to their service, whatever it is. Often there are entry requirements such as a "past purchase history at that place", "membership card" etc etc. It's a pain.

Essentially I really enjoyed my PS4 and although neither new console seem to have an AMAZING launch, I'm a sucker for "new" console stuff. Sony's new UI (even if it might suck in some ways for now), genuinely new controller, Miles Morales, Astrobot and the crazy load times are enough simple things to make me want "the new thing" but I also believe it'll be a good console going forward.

JayWhito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely going to buy PS5 very soon but still i'm ok with my pc.