The Official "Post Your GOTY Lists Here!" Thread

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Milkman

The "Best of 2010" lists have gone live on the site now, which means that the forums are sure to be flooded with incoming GOTY blogs and lists. So, post them here in an attempt to keep the forums nice and neat.  

Anyway, here's mine: 

Best of 2010

The definitive top 10 games of 2010.

1. Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect is what I'd call a "flawed masterpiece". It's game that I love very dearly but I can recognize that it's not a great game by any means. The world and characters are fantastic but actually playing the game poses a lot of issues. Fortunately for us, Mass Effect 2 fixed almost every issue present in the first game and was able to retain this fantastic world and engaging characters. Making the combat actually fun and modern, removing the infuriating Mako sequences and countless other refinements remove the "flawed" from the description and leave what can only be simply called a masterpiece.

2. Super Meat Boy

I've never considered myself a "pro" gamer by any means. I never replay games on hard or get invested in any kind of leaderboards. As a result, I expected to start playing Super Meat Boy, play a couple levels and then immediately throw down by controller in frustration. Instead, I fell in love. Super Meat Boy is a game that oozes charm at every orifice from the retro inspired art style to Dr. Fetus, the greatest villain of our generation. Super Meat Boy is the only game this year or in recent memory, that literally made me jump for joy. Something about this game drove me to press on, where I would have otherwise quit. I powered my way through the Light World and while I may never see what the Dark World holds, I can proudly say that I love Super Meat Boy.

3. Sid Meier's Civilization V

I never experienced the addiction factor of the Civilization series. I dabbled in Civilization IV but I never got into that "one more turn" mentality. That is, until Civilization V. Now, I understand the massive following that these game have gained over the years. And that's really the beauty of Civilization V. Anyone can get addicted. It doesn't matter if you've never played a Civilization game or played every single one. I watched as Civ V turned minutes into hours, as it turned 7 PM into 3 AM. And during all this time, I finished like 3 games. I had more than enough fun fooling around with the different civilizations and victory types. So, if I could have this much fun with Civilization V and still barely scratch the surface, I think that says a lot to the quality of the product.

4. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Assassin's Creed is a franchise that always really spoke to me. Maybe it's my hidden desire to stab dudes in the face and neck or maybe it's something a little less sinister. Either way, I just love stabbing dudes. I even love the first Assassin's Creed for as repetitive as it is. So, it says a lot that Brotherhood might be the most fun I've had with an Assassin's Creed game. Brotherhood took the refinements made by Assassin's Creed 2 and made them even better to create the quintessential Assassin's Creed experience.

5. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Let me preface this by saying that I have never played a game of Starcraft II multiplayer. I am pre-Bronze tier. But that never hampered my enjoyment of Starcraft II. Warcraft III is my favorite RTS of all-time and Blizzard releases still get me all warm and tingly inside. So, it was to my delight that Blizzard showed that they could still make the best RTS that money can buy. Paired with their trademark Blizzard storytelling and beautiful cinematics and you got the best RTS in years.

6. Limbo

Braid, Flower, and now Limbo. Every year, there is that game that pushes the boundaries of art and video games. However, the thing that sets Limbo apart is that it's never self-indulgent. It never pauses to preach some message to the player. It's a video game, through and through and Limbo is all about gameplay first. The result of this attitude is one of the most tightly made and rewarding puzzle platfomers I've ever played.

7. Alan Wake

Alan Wake is far from the best video game I played this year. The core gameplay of Alan Wake is, admittedly, not great. What Alan Wake is, however, is pure atmosphere. It sucks you into this twisted world and refuses to let you go. But perhaps even more than its atmosphere, Alan Wake had style. There was something about the title card accompanied by an ending song at the end of every chapter or the "Previously on Alan Wake..." at the start of every chapter that made giggle with glee every single time.

8. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite games. As far as I'm concerned, that is platforming perfection. So, Nintendo said "Hey, want some more of that?", I said yes, please. And while it may be as impactful as Mario's first trip to the stars, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the same high quality, charming platformer that you could come to know and love from Nintendo.

9. Just Cause 2

I don't have the fond memories of Just Cause that many others seem to share. I thought it was a janky mess that had some nice ideas but ultimately just wasn't very fun. Luckily, Just Cause 2 removed just enough of that jank to make the game fun but not enough to completely lose its charm. You haven't lived until you've parachuted around a tropical island shooting a RPG at every unsuspecting merc that is unfortunate enough to cross your path. Just Cause 2 is a euphoric experience of pure video game fun and is a nice wake up call to remember us why we love these dumb games in the first place.

10. Bayonetta

I was ready to hate Bayonetta. The pre-release trailers were insufferable to me. It seemed like someone let a horny 14 year old make a video game. Little did I know that horny 14 year olds make the best video games. Bayonetta is ridiculous and stupid. The story is completely nonsensical and the characters are pretty much cookie cutter Japanese stereotypes. So, why do I love this game? I honestly have no idea. I hold no fondness to the Devil May Cry series at all so I don't understand what it is about Bayonetta that made me enjoy it so much. The bottom line is Bayonetta is something that everyone needs to experience, if only to witness the madness.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

Starting to make my list I realised that I haven't played 10 games that were released this year. Also, I've got Brotherhood but I haven't started it yet and I know it'll be high on my list.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By recroulette

Not only did I not even have ten games, in searching for more games, I added 3 that I forgot, making the process start over again. 

Oh well, here we go. 

Best of 2010

RecSpec: Best of 2010

1. Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain was not only a great game. It also was the reason I started using Twitter (Four Days Challenge). The buildup for the game is intense. And nothing this year came close to that first playthrough. The successes, the failures, the reveal of the killer. Everything made this game one hell of a ride.

2. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

If you would have told me at the beginning of the year that I would enjoy playing this game, I would have laughed at you. So what if it was a remake of Silver, my favorite GBC game. That ship has came and left, I only played through the first gym of Diamond before giving up on that game. But 300 CAPTURED pokemon later, and about 100 hours later, this game has dragged me kicking and screaming back into the abyss. I am eagerly awaiting Black. Also, I love the ability to bring Haunter with me in the Pokewalker, still carry it around sometimes for no reason.

3. Super Street Fighter IV

Easily my multiplayer game of the year. Improving on an already impressive Street Fighter IV. I don't have much to say really. This game was THE go-to game for the summer. Countless hours playing this.

4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

After the wrap up of Solid Snake's story a year ago, it would be hard to top that. Peace Walker did with some very great storytelling, and of course the quote of the year. "V for Victory! Rocket Peace!"

5. Sid Meier's Civilization V

The first real test of my first built gaming PC. To be honest, the main reason I picked this up was because of Ryan's recommendation, saying something along the lines of "If you can understand Advance Wars, you can get Civ V" Many sleepless nights and civilizations conquered later, I think this is my most played game all year.

6. Mount & Blade: Warband

Picked this up through the Steam sale, and was just blown away by what you could do in this game. So many hours could be spent raising up a fearless army, only to lose it all because of one failed battle. Online games were also insane. Killing someone with a jarid from the other side of the map, so good...

7. Red Dead Redemption

I haven't finished a Rockstar game since GTA3. I was hoping that my love for westerns would carry me through this, and that it did. Great story, great moments, and satisfying open-world gameplay. Not to mention the way it completely flips the endgame around. I really need to play Undead Nightmare though.

8. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

A vast improvement in story and setting over Pandora's Box. This game had a lot of great story moments. From funny (Don Paolo's story), to sad (Claire...), to just blatantly (bLaytontly?) awesome (Slot. Machine. Gun.) This game was a joy to go through, nothing too new, but a brilliant refinement.

9. Dead Rising 2

Live from Fortune City! Case Zero got me hooked, but Dead Rising 2 took that hook and ran with it. So much crazy shit in this game. From the cool boss battles to the twisting and turning story. While some hated the tight timetable, I thought it made the game feel very different from others, a good thing.

10. Fallout: New Vegas

Like Fallout 3 but better. And Fallout 3 was pretty damn good. A shame that this game really forced you to do multiple playthroughs to attempt to see everything, but going through was a wild ride. I also have to say that Benny was one of my favorite characters of the year. Damn dapper fellow he was. Best intro of the year hands down.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TJ311
@mracoon: yea same here. my PS3 broke and i bought a bunch of games on black friday and i cant play any of them. ive mostly been playin black ops on 360.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Milkman
@evildeadron: Oh, shit. I forgot about Pac-Man. Hmm...time to reassess my list...
PeterMolyneux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By PeterMolyneux
darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By darkfury

This may be subject to change based on games left to complete before the end of the year.

1. Red Dead Redemption

Why: The journey that it takes you on, the lead character, the control, and the variety.

2. Mass Effect 2

Why: The story and the feeling of place. Mass Effect's universe is engaging through to the end.

3. Heavy Rain

Why: The twists and turns, the importance you feel your choices have on each character's fate.

4. Alan Wake

Why: The graphical effects, the mechanics and Remedy's passion for creating an engaging world.

5. Deadly Premonition

Why: The surprising, ridiculous story, the game's greatness despite itself.

6. Mafia II

Why: The variety of missions, the interplay between the lead characters.

7. Split/Second

Why: The crazy explosive tracks, the sense of speed and danger.

8. Blur

Why: The split-screen multiplayer experience.

9. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Why: The feeling of empowerment, the moments when that sense mixes with the soundtrack and visuals to create those supercool moments.

10. Super Meat Boy

Why: The sense of achievement in completing those hard-as-nails challenges.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ch13696

Soooo... do I just go to my lists and create a new one or is there somewhere on the website for the "Best of 2010" list.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Jayross

Is there is a specific structure or title we have to use for our lists to be recognized or w/e?

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By recroulette

Go to a game's wiki page, pick "Add to a list" then pick Best of 2010.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By zombie2011
@PeterMolyneux said:
"

Best of 2010

PeterMolyneux: Best of 2010

1. Fable III
"
Perfect.
droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By SpacePenguin

Petet Molyneux? wtf

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

SP's Top 5 GOTY

My top 5 picks for GOTY 2010.

1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

This being my number 1 was unexpected. I figured I would like it as much as Big Boss' last portable adventure, which I liked but not love, but man was I surprised. I thought the MGS4 shooting mechanic wouldn't work on a PSP but I was wrong and I was able to adapt to it with ease. The story was great too, I especially loved the 1st ending and was kind of emotional when the "Godzilla" walk off happened as well as the after the credits scene the Metal Gear series is known for. This is Boss' story about his mentor's death and it can be very emotional. There is a lot more to talk about, I spent over 50 hours on my first play through, so I'll have to leave it here.

2. God of War III

The God of War franchise is second only to the Metal Gear franchise to my eyes. I was eagerly awaiting this title, as the and of an "Epic", in the traditional sense, I had to get it. When I got the game I was blown away by the kind of craziness that it was offering. All the things I loved about the previous games was amplified from the set-piece boss fights, amazing level design, striking visuals, and visceral gameplay. The story was over the top and ultra serious making it awesomely ridiculous. Killing a god and causing the great flood in the first 30 minutes is great. It may not have revolutionized anything but it sure knew how to build on its predecessors.

3. Bayonetta

I was at Gamestop and handed my brother 3 games and asked him which one I should buy; Bioshock, POP: Forgotten Sands, and Bayonetta. Holy fuck did he make the right choice. This game is on the other side of the character action crazy coin. Just non-stop ridiculous, hyper sexualized, impossible action (Motorcycle straight up a rocket leaving Earth's atmosphere). It never ends too! It just keeps going on with crazy shit after crazy shit! I was pretty fond of the characters by the end of the game (aside from Enzo) and Bayonetta is one of my new favourite characters as a result. The gameplay is also more DMC than GOW so it definitely has more challenge. I can't wait to see more of her (although I'm not sure what's left for her to do.)

4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

This game wasn't even on my radar until a week before it's release. I knew Kojima wasn't involved outside of being the japanese casting director and some talk about character designs so it was already a let down. The fact that I didn't like Symphony of the Night didn't help either. But a week before it's release I decided to do research and I bought it almost as soon as it came out. I was not disappointed. The gameplay alone would have made it pretty fun but the story that was crafted around it and the voice acting was great made it one of my favourites for this year. The art style is great to going for what felt like Lord of the Rings which helped build upon it's dark atmosphere. There is also so much to do. The game is fairly long, my play through maybe 15-20 hours. Seeing as how the story is the best part if the game I can't in good conscience talk about it here.

5. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

One of the only Wii games I bought this year (Due to PS3 games costing $60 I tend to save for those rather than a console I don't own). Damn is this game good. I never played the first one so it was more of a whim (it was $20) and I feel I missed out on something. This game is crazy, and I fucking love crazy. It knows it's crazy and tells you its crazy and bathes in crazy. The mini-games were fun and random. I probably put hours in the pipe game. I also really enjoyed the combat in the game. I was sad that it wasn't any longer because I really enjoyed the boss battles and the craziness.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

1. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Super Street Fighter IV

4. Red Dead Redemption

5. Bayonetta

6. Darksiders

7. Starcraft 2

8. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

9. Final Fantasy XIII

10. Splinter Cell: Conviction

*Almost made the cut: Amnesia, Metro 2033, God of War 3, Blur, Split Second, Dead Rising 2

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By demonbear

Best of 2010

demonbear: Best of 2010

1. Mass Effect 2

Fantastic sequel to 2007's hit from Bioware. They took everything that was not working and fixed it, and THEN some. An absolute blast from start to finish. I called ME2 GOTY 2010 in January and I still think its the best game to come out this year.

2. Red Dead Redemption

Great gameplay, fantastic story and what an ending!!

3. Heavy Rain

Top notch mo-cap, great story and dialog. A cool experience on the PS3.

4. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

WORGENS!!!!

5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

My favorite shooter this year, tight gameplay and kickass multiplayer. Vietnam is also a great addon for this!

6. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Its Starcraft but better. That says it all.

7. Transformers: War For Cybertron

Just like Batman Arkham Asylum last year, they took the IP and made it their own, designed it around a great game that really captures the essence of the Transformers.

8. Valkyria Chronicles II

The best game on the PSP this year by far, works so great on that platform.

9. Darksiders

Zelda God of War = always a good idea

10. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

Its an addon but its sooo good. Better writing, better cast of caracters. So good!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

Posted this in another thread, but:

Best of 2010

Hailinel: Best of 2010

1. Metroid: Other M

That's right, bitches. My game of the year right here. (You were expecting something else?)

2. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Some of the most fun I've had on the PSP all year.

3. Final Fantasy XIII

Screw the haters. I enjoyed this game.

4. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

The girl's side of the story makes all the difference in the world.

5. Trauma Team

An intelligent advancement on the Trauma Center series that improves on both the variety of surgeries and the characterization of the doctors involved.

6. WarioWare D.I.Y.

I didn't think WarioWare could get any more insane until the public at large was given the power to create their own madness.

7. Samurai Warriors 3

See my above comment for Final Fantasy XIII. It also applies here.

8. Gran Turismo 5

I'm not a racing sim fan normally, but Gran Turismo 5 is a game that even I could enjoy. The amount of breath and depth to the car selection alone is astonishing.

9. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Simple story, silly dialogue, but oh god, that shooter gameplay.

10. Deadly Premonition

Showing my support for this ugly yet beautiful game.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'll perhaps add more, if I can think of any other games I played this year that I really enjoyed. 
There's a few Nintendo games I probably would have added, but Kirby isn't out over here until 2011 and I decided to hold off on Donkey Kong so I can pick them up together. 

Best of 2010

WinterSnowblind: Best of 2010

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Halo: Reach
3. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
4. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
5. Sid Meier's Civilization V
6. Alan Wake
7. Phantasy Star Portable 2
8. Transformers: War For Cybertron
fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fflyash
nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nrain
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Here is ShadowKnight's Best of 2010 List (With honorable mentions at bottom):

Best of 2010

shadowknight508: Best of 2010
This list consists of the games that I have played this year. Most of these games I have played on the PS3, with the exception of Super Meat Boy (PC on Steam). Since I have not played Mass Effect 2 (not until it arrives next month for the PS3), it doesn't make my list.

1. Red Dead Redemption

One of the greatest western games ever made. Massive open world areas to explore, dozens and dozens of things to do, and the amazing DLC content (Undead Nightmare, in particular) makes this one of the best games of the decade.

2. God of War III

God of War III promised to be the epic conclusion to the God of War franchise and boy, was it not lying. From the massive boss fights to the sheer amounts of gory violence that lays splattered all over the floor from the Blades of Exile, Krato's final chapter, quest for vengeance, and ultimate revenge is one tale players can not afford to miss.

3. Super Meat Boy

One of the most challenging games that you will ever play in your life. Hidden warps that take you to special themed worlds and some of the over-the-top level designs will leave you wanting more. Be prepared to die many times, and achieving victory never looked so good when you are a hunk of a meat boy questing to save his bandage girlfriend from a wicked fetus in a robotic body.

4. Super Street Fighter IV

Quite simply the greatest fighting game of the decade. It takes what made Street Fighter 4 fun and expands on the content, providing tweaks that perfect the gameplay and make it a blast to play. New characters, return of bonus modes, and other content make this a must buy for any fighting gamer.

5. Fallout: New Vegas

If you can make in in New Vegas, you can make it anywhere. If you can get past some of the unfortunate bugs and glitches that plague the game at certain points, this engrossing game gives you a massive world to explore and allows you to shape the game to what you want. You can choose to live the life of a saint, or you can feed the hapless victims of your wrath to the ghouls. The choice is yours...

6. Call of Duty: Black Ops

We can agree that the story mode is too short, but for the 5 hours it takes to beat the main story, it takes you along on a epic ride similar to what Modern Warfare in 2007 did. The multiplayer isn't groundbreaking, but still better than Modern Warfare 2. The additive Zombies mode (along with the old school Dead Ops Arcade) make this game epic in it's own right.

7. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Quite simply one of the best 2D-fighting games since the Guilty Gear series was in it's heyday earlier in the decade. With expanded modes, new training system that helps you better understand the complex controls, and a slew of new characters (in game and through DLC) makes this game one of the best of 2010, even if Iron Tager and Bang Shisigami is overpowered.

8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Not the greatest game in 2010, but certainly one of the funnest games of the year. The ability to destroy almost everything in the world lent realism to the game and the story mode was a blast to play.

9. BioShock 2

Return to where the madness all began. Return to Rapture, the fractured and crazed ruins of a once-promising underwater society as the original Big Daddy, the Type-Delta prototype. Can you solve the mysteries of your shrouded past while escaping the twisted world caught in a non-ending cycle of violence? Beware of the Big Sister....she seeks to end your life to protect the Little Sisters under her wing...

10. 3D Dot Game Heroes

It borrows heavily from certain games, but in the end, this quirky and fun game takes the player on an adventure that they will not forget. A fitting homage to classic games and yet a addictive, simple game that you can spend hours and hours playing.

2010: Honorable Mentions (Three that failed to make list)

1. Final Fantasy XIII
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Modnation Racers
GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By GhostlyEnigma

I was going to use box covers for my list, but it glitched out one me because of this new crap internet service I have. So, I'm going to stick with text for now. 

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Super Meat Boy
  3. Mass Effect 2
  4. Super Mario Galaxy
  5. StarCraft II: WIngs of Liberty
  6. Rock Band 3
  7. Civilization V
  8. Bayonetta
  9. God of War III
  10. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Honorable Mentions: 
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  • Halo: Reach
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalk
  • Minecraft
fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fishmicmuffin
1. Mass Effect 2

Best game of 2010 by a long shot.

2. Super Meat Boy

I really enjoyed playing SMB. I still have to 100 percent it, but the fact that I'm willing to sit down and do that speaks miles for the game itself.

3. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Great game as well.

4. Heroes of Newerth

I've played this game more than any other game this year, so that earns it this spot on the list alone.

5. Red Dead Redemption

I enjoyed this game a lot, just not as much as ME2.

6. Alan Wake

I enjoyed playing this game when I got my new xbox and it came with it. It was a great store and I look forward to 'The Return'.

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Black Ops was a lot of fun. The campaign was silly, and the multiplayer is the best in the series to date. The removal of both juggernaut and stopping power did great things for the multiplayer.

8. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

I love this series, and this game is no different. It had a great story and great puzzles, making it well worth a playthrough.

9. BioShock 2

To be honest, I almost forgot this game came out this year. But it did, and I enjoyed the single player as well as the multiplayer. The series at the end with the little sister was the best part of the game. Lots of fun.

10. Sid Meier's Civilization V

This game is more civ. Civ is awesome. Enough said.

Halo Reach could be on there,  but I enjoyed all of the other games on the list more. I didn't get to play Bayonetta, but I wish I did. It looked like it would be a lot of fun.
skipper00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By skipper00

Best of 2010

skipper00: Best of 2010

1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Totally engaging story and I am still having so much fun with the multi-player.

2. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Got back to what a Need for Speed game should be. Fun!

3. Red Dead Redemption

Complete time sink! Spent so many hours just wondering around...

4. Heavy Rain

I have never been so attached to character in a game before.

5. God of War III

EPIC!!!

6. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Surprised I like this as much as I did.

7. Halo: Reach

I do not actually own this game but I played the story at a friends house and spent so many hours online which is pitch perfect.

8. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Because it has a better story than most COD games and the multi-player is great (minus the RC cars).

9. ModNation Racers

Unlimited amount of content!

10. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

Frustrating at time but it makes the pay off so much better when you solve puzzles.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Finished it... now if only I could figure out how to put a link to it in my status update.

Best of 2010

Make_Me_Mad: Best of 2010

1. Bayonetta

Never had another choice in mind for the number 1 spot. No problem saying this is the best game I played this year, as well as being the single greatest third person action game created thus far.

2. Monster Hunter Tri

The number 2 spot was hard to pick, but in the end, there aren't that many games that let me make the last boss who gave me trouble into my next set of boots.

3. Metroid: Other M

More Metroid is always good, especially with an overdue return to a more classic play style. Putting Super Missiles into faces has never been more satisfying, and Samus gets some much needed development.

4. Super Street Fighter IV

As much as I feel this game could have been an expansion pack or DLC, it did give us Juri, and Street Fighter has always been some of the best fighting game action around. Just avoid the professional matches, they're all kinds of boring.

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Continuing the "More of a Good Thing" section of this list, Super Mario Galaxy 2. Remember the first one? Have a lot more!

6. Final Fantasy XIII

I have my problems with this game, but can't deny that the world featured therein is an amazing one. If they'd made more of an effort to show that world and those creatures off instead of confining the interesting information in a stale encyclopedia, this would have been nearer the top of the list.

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Back to the grind. Like Call of Duty? Can you put up with Veteran difficulty, crazy stories, and some badly scripted events? Then enjoy!

8. Halo: Reach

Halo: Reach is the best Halo game made thus far. Enough said?

9. Sid Meier's Civilization V

I really wish this game wasn't so much fun. I'd tell you to avoid it, but let's be honest, you've most likely already lost entire weeks ensnared by this monster.

10. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Everything I said about Civ 5, but moreso.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BionicMonster

Best of 2010

BionicMonster: All of those early year releases made it hard to remember what actually came out.

1. Mass Effect 2

Damn, Bioware sure knows how to write some great dialogue.

2. Picross 3D

Need...more...puzzles...

3. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

An awesome multiplayer game that includes a free single player campaign

4. Red Dead Redemption

Great story with a great setting.

5. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Further streamlining the most popular game in the world to near perfection.

6. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

ALL THE GHOSTS!!

7. Super Meat Boy

some day....some day.

8. Mount & Blade: Warband

the first "realistic" feeling melee combat I've experienced.

9. Kirby's Epic Yarn

A casual masterpiece.

10. Bayonetta

"I just threw a church at that dragon" - Me

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By willin

Best of 2010

2010 is a very important year for me in regards to video games. It's really the first year I had a regular flow of money. Seeing how video games are my number 1 hobby naturally it nice big chuck of my paycheck went to that. So actually buying and playing more the 10 current video games this year I am actually capable of making a top 10 list for the year. Thinking about this list is really hard. Some of these games I loved but are completely absent from the list which breaks my heart but that just shows you how awesome 2010 was so let's get started.

1. Mass Effect 2

While I had high expectation for Dead Rising 2 that Dead Rising 2 met, Mass Effect 2 had high expectation and it complete blew it out of the water. When I was writing this list the first thing I did was put Mass Effect 2 at number one, while I was changing games, moving games, putting in, putting out games Mass Effect 2 sat at number one and it didn't move. Every aspect of the game is perfect. The characters, the plot, the combat, the improvement on Mass Effect 1, everything makes this game fantastic, amazing, stunning and my Game of the Year for 2010.

2. Dead Rising 2

I had high expectation for Dead Rising 2 and every single expectation was met. It's the masterful blend of complete crazy and serious drama that makes Dead Rising, Dead Rising. Chuck Greene maybe is the best character of the year. Everyone is just such a dick to Chuck when he has done nothing wrong. I love Dead Rising 2's upseting difficultly and charm. Worth it.

3. Limbo

Wow. Limbo is amazing. It's a blend of genre that work so well that it's almost undefinable. Limbo has the distinct claim of being the only game I was horrified at. This game can be scary when it wants to. When you are running along and out of nowhere a bear trap kills you with no warning, you shit yourself. The graphics and sound add to the atmosphere which is built on a great system of platforming and puzzle solving.

4. Flotilla

Flotilla started a fire. It was my first Steam game I bought and then 62 games later Flotilla still is the best on that list. It's amazing how strategic space combat and farm animal drama goes so well together. It's design makes it easy to understand but it can be fucking hard. The characters make the game though. I never stopped smile at the sight of Navy Space Deer. You must play this game.

5. Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption didn't 'click' with me. Something about it I just don't like but I cannot figure out why. Everything about this game is expertly created with that Rockstar polish. Characters, the graphics, the music, the voice acting is all 5 star, A-list stuff but something didnt get me or I didn't get it. It's the Far Cry 2 of 2010. But even with my personal problems with the game I can still see this as a fantastic game.

6. Super Meat Boy

This game is amazing. Some ascepts of this game I love and some I absolutely fucking hate. For a game to give you these emotions of pure hatred but you still want to play through it and finish it is signs of a fantastic game and fortunately for Super Meat Boy it totally is.

7. Fallout: New Vegas

I loved Morrowind, I loved Oblivion, I loved Fallout 3 and unsurprisingly I love Fallout: New Vegas. New Vegas had what Fallout 3 lacks and that's variety. The location of Vegas is filled with life and dark secrets that 3 lacked. The characters are expressive and some of them are funny. Building all of that on top of the excellent gameplay makes Fallout: New Vegas from good to great.

8. Call of Duty: Black Ops

I think this is the greatest Call of Duty game ever. Beats CoD 2, CoD 4 and Modern Warfare 2 easily. Treyarch did what I thought was impossible and that is make Call of Duty fresh again. All of the story is great, the twists and turns keep you going and keeps you on your toes. Going from Vietnam to Russian POW camps to the mountains makes every level different. Plus the Call of Duty multiplayer which is still amazing that Treyarch improves on even more. I think my statement is justified.

9. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Now I am not an Assassin's Creed fan. I don't even remember what the first one did. But when Assassin's Creed 2 came along and I played it I was impressed. The way Ubisoft recreated Italian culture is amazing. It was different which is something I loved. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood builds on what AC2 did an add and refine which made Brotherhood leaps over what AC2 did. It's adds a whole massive city, new characters, new weapons and the most unique multiplayer mode in the last few year. This is a game worth playing.

10. Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time

I doubt you know what this game is, which is a shame because this little indie game from Stickmen Studios shows you what a little creative gameplay and a little personality can do for a game. This is basically Garry's Mod with structure. But what Garry's Mod has in variety Doc Clock has in personality as Doc Clock and his little robot friend makes jibs at Doc Clock. One of the best suprises of the year.

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#42  Edited By Sergotron

Best of 2010

Sergotron: Best of 2010

1. Mass Effect 2

Better in every way shape and form.

2. Red Dead Redemption

First Rockstar game I have actually enjoyed.

3. Halo: Reach

A great single player campaign, and a rewarding and slightly improved multiplayer game.

4. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Dude, it's effin more Starcraft.

5. Snoopy Flying Ace

I played the hell of this bad boy.

6. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Not quite Burnout but it did scratch that itch.

7. Kirby's Epic Yarn

Too damn cute for words really.

8. Monday Night Combat

Fun fanatic multiplayer with the added charm to boot.

9. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Not as good as last years but still rather entertaining.

10. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

It would be higher in the list if I actually had friends playing this so I could have scores to compete with.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Animasta

super dissappointed about total lack of Nier :(

1. Nier

This game has one of the most depressing (and great, let's be clear here) stories I've ever played, and made me teary several times. The characters are great, the music is amazing, and the gameplay goes way off the deep end. also not enough people played this, which is the biggest shame :(

2. Metro 2033

Half Life 2 made by Ukranians, nuff said.

3. Fallout: New Vegas

Despite being very buggy and the Gamebryo engine doing no favors, I was still invested enough to play through it three times.

4. Resonance of Fate

One of the most innovative battle systems in an RPG ever, and something I could show to people who say that JRPG's are the same old shit. Also the music is pretty cool too.

5. Alpha Protocol

Yeah, the gameplay sucks, but the diversity the story offers is incredible; I just finished it the second time, and the entire last mission was significantly different. Something I really couldn't say about a LOT of RPG's, western or otherwise (even New Vegas, while having a pretty cool ending, ALWAYS ends with the Hoover Dam).

6. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

a less buggy stalker and some really amazing side quests. The plot is pretty cool too, until you get to Pripyat that is. It really feels unfinished there, and it's something that bumps it down some.

7. Dead Rising 2

Really really cool, improved on the dead rising concept enough to make it better, but not enough to make it completely different, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

8. Bayonetta

shit be craaaaaaaaaazy (and the gameplay is super fun)

9. Call of Duty: Black Ops

I thought the storyline was really really good, and the multiplayer is fun as well.

10. Mass Effect 2

I absolutely loved it when I played it, but looking back on it now, it definitely isn't as great as people say. It's well made, to be sure, but it's still the basic Bioware tropes through and through.

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wipeout

Best of 2010

Wipeout: Best of 2010

1. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

People will still be playing this game for DECADES. It's single player campaign is just as fantastic as any challenger.

2. Mass Effect 2

Huge improvements over the first, story now complements the game instead of carrying it. Music a bit bland when compared to the first.

3. Red Dead Redemption

Best Rockstar game to date. Possibly best open world game to date.

4. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

A step forward from 2, if not a leap. Icing dudes with your own other dudes is fun.

5. Fallout: New Vegas

Again, more improvements this year in the form of iterations. Nothing beats exploring that wasteland, only the janky engine kinda lets it down.

6. Sid Meier's Civilization V

Flawed, lack of abstraction towards the end game, but oh so worthy of this list. So good.

7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Teamwork rewarded well. Great engine. DICE keeps getting better.

8. Darksiders

Secretly the best Zelda game since A Link to the Past.

9. Bayonetta

I think character action games are fucking stupid, but this one is fucking stupid in a special way that works.

10. BioShock 2

I think people who say this game isn't necessary are kinda crazy.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Milkman

Added comments to the original posts. It's always fun to write up these lists.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Best of 2010

My top 10 2010 list! 

It was a great year, but here's to getting hyped for being one more year closer to Bioshock Infinity! 

Oh yeah and 2011!

1. Rock Band 3

I can finally play those damn rush songs with a proper (sort of) high-hat pedal thanks to this game. Basically a finalized version of Rock Band, the addition of pro everything just made the band nerd inside me jump with joy. Countless hours have been poured and will continue to flow into my favorite franchise.

2. Red Dead Redemption

From the plains, to riding into Mexico, finally fighting pissed off grizzlies, this game sucked me in all the way to the that final bullet. I never really got back into it, but what I experienced was something that everyone should try.

3. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

You know...

4. Super Meat Boy

This game was something special. It felt like playing Mario again, and that kiddish funny feeling over-swept me. I played for hours at a time, starting strong and confident only to walk away a broken man. May only the strong apply.

5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Despite what some of you may think, it had "Vampire Killer" in it, so it's totally a Castlevania game.

6. Bayonetta

One of the first games of the year and what a way to start it off! What is essentially a faster much smoother Devil May cry Style game, it really sets itself apart from the other games in this genre. The story is basically there to dazzle you with overactive characters while the gameplay and combat is there to keep you furiously pounding out strong and effective combos to hair stomp your enemies to death.

7. Just Cause 2

I never actually beat the game, but I still spent about 60 hours or so running around the world doing whatever I wanted. Modding was no problem on the PC version so by hour 40 I was flying around the island like superman at nauseating speeds. I may have played the game the wrong way, but to me, it was the fun of grappling 3 tuk-tuks to a helicopter to see how many civilians you can hit while swinging them around like a blenderdeath (sweet band name) from above.

8. Mass Effect 2

Shepard, Wrex, Garrus, whatever camp you may be in, this was an awesome sci-fi space adventure, with a bunch of aliens and blue streaks of light. It really helps to have played Mass Effect 1 as it sets up the universe in a way where newcomers might be missing out on quite a bit of what the game can potentially offer. While this did seem like a little too streamlined to me at first, I still enjoyed the improved combat, and the continued story of a universe that may rival even Star Wars.

9. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

While I played this spending most of my time in a hospital, I never really got to experience the awesomeness of the poke-walker except for the fact that it was a muscular replacement for jacking off since my physical situation had not allowed me to for the past three months. It did however still have Geodude in it, so I was cool with it.

10. Picross 3D

At first I was afraid of this game. I never quite understood the original Picross, as I was too little to even begin to crack the code. Thankfully Picross 3D brings this puzzle game into a modern setting, seahorses and all. The time spent with this game always felt rewarding after I had solved a particularly hard puzzle, no matter how long it took. Unfortunately, those stars were like crack.

Seeing all the games I forgot about makes me wish there were around 3 more spots on the top ten list.
cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cabelhigh

Best of 2010

cabelhigh: Best of 2010

1. Mass Effect 2

Best of the year, and one of the best of all time. It delivered great, personal stories intertwined with some cool gunplay.

2. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

This is like crack. I cannot stop playing it, be it the single player or the really kind of incredible multiplayer. Better (?) than Assassins's Creed 2, which is high praise in my book.

3. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Ooooo this game is scary. Incredible atmosphere, great puzzles, and one of the most addicting stories in gaming. And it has commentary. Yay! 
EDIT: Just played a round of this, and was so scary I had to turn it off. The monster is waiting outside my door...

4. Sid Meier's Civilization V

This improved on Civ IV in the most important way: the combat. What had been a broken system finally became more than just a chore and actually fun. The rest of the game was addictive as ever.

5. Super Street Fighter IV

Like Street Fighter IV, but better.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By DanielJW

Best of 2010

DanielJW: Best of 2010

1. Minecraft

Easily the most time I've put in to a non-World of Warcraft game, ever. Outstanding concept executed incredibly simply and effectively. I think technically a 2009 game, but it hit Alpha / Beta this year, so whatever. It wins and it deserves it.

2. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Easily the most time I've put in to a game ever. Still remains awesome.

3. Heavy Rain

Some incredibly emotional, even painful moments. Amazingly well done.

4. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Continually excellent.

5. NHL 11

Most I've enjoyed a hockey game since '04.

6. God of War III

Just some damn good fun.

7. FIFA 11

Most I've enjoyed a soccer game since '99.

8. Game Dev Story

Really well made and addictive iPod game. While I sort of burned out on it after a full day of play with little desire to go back, it deserves props. For 6$ or whatever, amazing value.

9. Darksiders

Really interesting fiction and concept, solid gameplay. Fun little game.

10. Red Dead Redemption

I actually really didn't like this game, but I feel it deserves some recognition since it was exceptionally well made.