Games that you love to play, but can't STAND the story?

• 54 results
kiyseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By kiyseph

One of my guilty pleasures is the Dynasty Warriors series. There's something gratifying about running into a huge group of enemies and just decimating them. When I had started with Dynasty Warriors 2, I actually watched through each of the opening cutscenes and endings. However, with each sequel in the series though and it's spin-offs, I just stopped caring about the story since it's just got weirder and uninteresting, and ended up just skipping every single story element in the game, just so I can go straight to the action. I only do this with the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series.

Are there any games that you enjoy playing, but just absolutely can't stand the story or cutscenes?

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Dread612

Bayonetta, the combat in that game is awesome, but every time a cut scene started I couldn't skip it fast enough.

Outrager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Outrager

Metal Gear Solid games. The story is just confusing and I forget what happened the next day, but I love sneaking around.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By craigbo180

I don't think there has been a game yet that has had a good story, but there are plenty of games that I love to play!

TommyUnderwear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TommyUnderwear
@Outrager said:
" Metal Gear Solid games. The story is just confusing and I forget what happened the next day, but I love sneaking around. "
I actually stopped playing MGS 3 and 4 shortly after starting both due to the length of the cut scenes.  Really pissed me off.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Most shooters. As long as the controls work, and the guns are interesting enough, I love them. 

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hot_Karl

After the third or so playthrough, I found the story in Max Payne 2 to be kind of nonsensical in hindsight. Still my favorite game, however. Chili Con Carnage's story is pretty dumb (in a fun way), but I can stand the story. 

Halo 3:ODST would probably fit the description. It's not a bad story, but I found myself no caring. I don't love the game per se, but I enjoyed it a lot (ironically enough, I found it way more challenging & fun than Halo 3)

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By 02sfraser

Halo 3. I actually really enjoyed the campaign but it didn't make any sense. I suppose Fallout 3 can fall in this category as well. I have sunk a lot of hours into that game but the story is fairly shit.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By IBurningStar

In before someone says Final Fantasy XIII.

The God of War series has to be my pick.

Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vexed
@Dread612 said:
" Bayonetta, the combat in that game is awesome, but every time a cut scene started I couldn't skip it fast enough. "
This, haha.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Disgaea

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karl_Boss

NBA Jam, there isn't a story.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle

Dynasty Warriors. I read the books so I always silently go "Fucking what?" when all the bullshit crazy happens But I love that series anyway so whatever.

The Metal Gear Solid games. God damn what bullshit stories, especially 4. 

Devil May Cry 3

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Final Fantasy XIII.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Men of War.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sameeeeam

Borderlands.

Informant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Informant

Probably the X-BTF game series, the first one was good as you're a pilot in a prototype ship for testing a hyperdrive except it goes horribly wrong and warps you to another galaxy a la Farscape. You meet some lizard aliens called the Teladi (who are for all intents Ferangi-like, only driven by just profit) who help you as your ship is practically exploding around you provided you become a good little trader and pay off your debts for their help. It's then after that you go to actually explore the X-Universe. Good plot hook for a game, definitely makes you feel isolated.

..Until you find out that all the aliens are named after noble gases and that everything is trying to kill you including these other human descendant dudes (long story) with a predictable plot. The sequels aren't much better either in terms of silly plot and silly character models and cutscene angles like focusing in and out of one dudes face, but the rest of the space game environments are really good visually. Biggest change for me was not playing the Earth PC warped dude from the first game and instead playing as his son, then somehow losing all what you've earned akin to a galactic empire in the previous games when the next game comes around forcing you to do it all over again. The combat also needs a ton of more work to make it challenging in the vanilla version forcing players to download mods/scripts to incite faction wars, more deadlier AI, more aggressive pirates and so on.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't HATE the story of the Halo series, but I really don't care about it.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Waffles13

I'm shocked by the people saying MGS. I fully accept that the story isn't for everyone (or for most people, for that matter), but people actually enjoy the gameplay of the series? Maybe I was spoiled by Splinter Cell, but I would have NEVER played any other MGS game if I didn't love the story so much.

Lots of games fall here for me, but the one that sticks out is AC6. Everyone swoons over how great the story is, and while I respect how ridiculous it is for a jet game, I didn't find it interesting in the least and I hated every single character.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Bayonetta for me, too. You'd never expect such a crazy, over the top game to have so many self-serious, long winded cutscenes. Yeah, some of them have cool stuff... If you're willing to sit through three minutes of terrible dialogue. The stories in DMC games are bad too, but they have a much better ratio of crazy stuff to drawn out dialogue.

Also, Infamous. I hated every single character in that game.

Echofoxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Echofoxz

Killzone 3 has pretty awesome gameplay, but the story is pretty bad.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#23  Edited By psykhophear

So far, there hasn't been a game that ever made me hate the story but love playing it. I enjoy each story in games for what it is even though it's not their strongest point. 

But now that I think of it, there are a few games that made me dislike the story just because the cutscenes are too long and it disrupts the flow of gameplay. Those games would be Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth on the PSP and Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3. Lenneth gets the finger because of its horrible voice acting and unskippable draggy cutscenes; and MGS4 gets the kick too thanks to its long, unnecessary cutscenes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

King's Quest 7

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Waffles13 said:

" I'm shocked by the people saying MGS. I fully accept that the story isn't for everyone (or for most people, for that matter), but people actually enjoy the gameplay of the series? Maybe I was spoiled by Splinter Cell, but I would have NEVER played any other MGS game if I didn't love the story so much.

Lots of games fall here for me, but the one that sticks out is AC6. Everyone swoons over how great the story is, and while I respect how ridiculous it is for a jet game, I didn't find it interesting in the least and I hated every single character. "

Agreed. 

MGS would be much less interesting if it weren't for their stories.
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lukeweizer
@02sfraser said:
" Halo 3. I actually really enjoyed the campaign but it didn't make any sense. I suppose Fallout 3 can fall in this category as well. I have sunk a lot of hours into that game but the story is fairly shit. "
Agree with you about Halo 3. I didn't get that game at all.
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FlyingRat

Gameplay in Just Cause 2 is awesome, but i could not care less about the shitty story.
Also i could never imagine playing a Metal Gear game just for the gameplay, that seems insane to me. 

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Hashbrowns
@VinceNotVance said:
"

After the third or so playthrough, I found the story in Max Payne 2 to be kind of nonsensical in hindsight. Still my favorite game, however. 

"

I don't mean to attack your opinion, but I'll just add my take for contrast's sake:  

I'd say Max Payne 2 has arguably the best written story of any game I've played.  There really aren't loose ends or ambiguous character motivations.  The in-media-res beginning might be confusing at first, but it's purposefully mysterious, and is fully explained by the end; it's not confusing for the sake of being confusing.  I'm a huge Remedy fan, and one of the biggest reasons is their incredibly solid writing.  They always lay out clues to their plot developments, and it makes their stories eminently replayable.  Indeed, I've probably replayed Max Payne 2 more than a dozen times, and I still love that story.  Nothing is cheap, and every plot twist is earned and natural.

To the topic, I would say that Halo 2's storyline irked me in a big way.  Not only was it an unsatisfying cliffhangar, but it forever compromised the franchise's core narrative with numerous cheap writting cheats.  The alieness of the Coveneant was gone, and one of my big pet-peeves are alines speaking english for no reason.  A misunderstood alien/robot enemy is one of the most egregious scifi cliches of the last two decades, and with Halo 2, that's what the Covenant became.

kiyseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By kiyseph
@FlyingRat said:
" Gameplay in Just Cause 2 is awesome, but i could not care less about the shitty story.  "
You know now that you mentioned it, I guess I can put Just Cause 2 up there as well. I beat it recently and I can't remember a single thing about the story at all, I ended up just skipping most of the cutscenes about halfway through it. I sure as hell can remember those accents though... "DAH REA-PAHS".
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Animasta
@FlyingRat said:
" Gameplay in Just Cause 2 is awesome, but i could not care less about the shitty story. Also i could never imagine playing a Metal Gear game just for the gameplay, that seems insane to me.  "
the story in JC2 is just a vehicle for you to do crazy shit.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Can't stand? 

GTA IV, I never felt a connection with Nico.
Oh and Red Dead Redemption, but only the part in Mexico, it was so cliche and totally predictable.
Hi I'm John Marshton and I'm a asslicking tough guy, bah.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By yinstarrunner

I find it hard to say there are any video game stories I've HATED, since my expectations for video game stories are already terrible in the first place.  I don't really place much weight on them, and only treat good stories as a bonus when paired with great gameplay.  Bad stories are to be expected as the status quo.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By benpack
@Dread612 said:
" Bayonetta, the combat in that game is awesome, but every time a cut scene started I couldn't skip it fast enough. "
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Afroman269

Borderlands, Killzone 3, MGS4.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Resonance of Fate - I love love love love the combat system. The story was...poorly told; it had a few moments of comic relief  but would shift gears into super melodrama,  didn't make much sense and left too much for the player to fill in.

Mass Effect 2 - (Should note that I have beaten ME2 at least 10 times, I really do like the game)Nothing wrong with the characters (or their individual stories - quite the opposite they make the game) but more in line with whole premise of ME2 - Shepard, the savior of all sentient life comes back from the dead and no one cares; they are totally unphased by Shepard resurrection and then dismiss her warnings as the ravings of a crazy person.  
You still have to run and 'prove' yourself to everyone and their fetch-quest-handing-out-mother so you can get some help with a threat everyone has known was coming for two fucking years. It's really bad when you consider that Shepard is so famous her endorsement is sought after by every store on the Citadel, there's a memorial to her on Akuze(based on origin) and there are even bootleg holograms of her personality.  And fuck all if she wasn't the first (and still only?) Human SPECTRE - I will stop myself here because I keep going on. If they wanted us to play bitch again we could have played a Rookie looking for Shepard.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aronman789

I like the story in Dragon Age 1 (haven't gotten to 2 yet), but can't stand the slow ass combat. That count?

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iDarktread
@Dread612 said:
Vanquish has a worse story than Bayonetta, and that's an excellent play too. I enjoyed a few of Bayonetta's cut-scenes, but for Vanquish, I set the voices and subtitles to Japanese so I wouldn't know what was going on at all.
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SteamPunkJin
@Aronman789 said:
" I like the story in Dragon Age 1 (haven't gotten to 2 yet), but can't stand the slow ass combat. That count? "
You got that backward, this is the 'I love how it plays but hate the story thread' not the 'I love the story but it plays like shit' thread.
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#39  Edited By Lazyaza

I watched all of bayonetta's cinematics on first playthrough but the story was definitely hard to even try to give a fuck about.  On repeat plays I couldn't skip that shit fast enough.  Lost Planet 2 is the same, hell almost every japanese game I own. 
They can make some damn fun games but fuck is japan terrrrrrible at writing coherent interesting stories.  Though I'd rather not bad-mouth the nation right now given their current situation.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BigLemon
@kiyseph:
Just Cause 2. Really fun gameplay, but you definitely do not play that game for the story.
Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#41  Edited By Savage

Resident Evil 4. 

Nintendo games.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Love the world but the main stories are very weak.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By august

Grandia II.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By lead_farmer

Valkyria Chronicles 2.  The gameplay is really good, but the story has way too much highschool drama in it.  Still a lot of fun though. 

I actually like the Dynasty Warriors story only because it is so ridiculous and dumb.  There is nothing better than hearing the battle cry after you bring down an officer.  "I fight in the name of justice!"

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By LeetBalla

Vanquish's story was just nonsense. Also, Homefront looks alright but I won't play it because the story's premise is complete garbage.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By Gerhabio

Anything that is overtly misogynistic, so most anime-based games.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Skald

Just Cause 2

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hot_Karl
@Hashbrowns: Nah, you're not attacking, no worries. I can see your point, for me, the story doesn't necessarily hold up after a significant period of time, but no big. If anything though, I love the characters in the game, just about all of them are memorable in their own ways.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60

Deadly Premonition.