Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeon Siege III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 17, 2011

Dungeon Siege 3 is the third instalment of the Dungeon Siege franchise. It tells the tale of the fallen 10th Legion taking back the Kingdom of Ehb from the popular Azunite champion Jeyne Kassynder.

Does Obsidian have a death wish?

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sdharrison

I was actually looking forward to this game, but the demo utterly turned me off.  Then I find out how bizarre the co-op is, and the campaign is only around 7-8 hours?  What was Obsidian thinking with this?  And for god sake don't make me play a female character if I want to be an archer.... 

My hope was the focused nature of the hack and slash would give Obsidian a chance to really have a polished product for a change.  WOW was I wrong.  And what is happening to Square?  So strange to see a simple game with solid appeal just get mangled like this by veteran developers.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

what exactly is wrong with playing a female character

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mesklinite

@sdharrison said:

I was actually looking forward to this game, but the demo utterly turned me off. Then I find out how bizarre the co-op is, and the campaign is only around 7-8 hours? What was Obsidian thinking with this? And for god sake don't make me play a female character if I want to be an archer.... My hope was the focused nature of the hack and slash would give Obsidian a chance to really have a polished product for a change. WOW was I wrong. And what is happening to Square? So strange to see a simple game with solid appeal just get mangled like this by veteran developers.

I had the same reaction from the demo.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sdharrison

I just hate pre determined characters/genders in RPGs

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Yeah, yeah thats...goes off to playFallout New Vegas

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@sdharrison said:

I just hate pre determined characters/genders in RPGs

So, you're annoyed because you can't play a male archer?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grissefar

@sdharrison said:

I was actually looking forward to this game, but the demo utterly turned me off. Then I find out how bizarre the co-op is, and the campaign is only around 7-8 hours? What was Obsidian thinking with this? And for god sake don't make me play a female character if I want to be an archer.... My hope was the focused nature of the hack and slash would give Obsidian a chance to really have a polished product for a change. WOW was I wrong. And what is happening to Square? So strange to see a simple game with solid appeal just get mangled like this by veteran developers.
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John1912

Yea, Square has gone to complete shit. I dont know that I will be buying any of their games.  I am still blown away at how bad FF13 was.  Was hoping DS3 was going to be decent.  Just overall shallow.  Nothing about the loot makes me even care which is pretty much the whole point of the game.  Do they even change the what your char is wearing? 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@John1912 said:

Yea, Square has gone to complete shit. I dont know that I will be buying any of their games. I am still blown away at how bad FF13 was. Was hoping DS3 was going to be decent. Just overall shallow. Nothing about the loot makes me even care which is pretty much the whole point of the game. Do they even change the what your char is wearing?

Square Enix isn't developing the game. Obsidian is.

And honestly, Obsidian was never known for having stellar coding/QA in the first place.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Yanngc33

sexist

But yeah they're killing themselves

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By John1912
    @Hailinel: Yea, Im aware, but its published by Square, so it reflects on them.  It seems to very much reflect the downward slide of shit they are becoming known for.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@John1912 said:

@Hailinel: Yea, Im aware, but its published by Square, so it reflects on them. It seems to very much reflect the downward slide of shit they are becoming known for.

Hmm?

Final Fantasy XIII wasn't a bad game. I enjoyed it a lot, actually. Further, Dragon Quest IX is a phenomenal entry in that particular series. The Dissidia games are fun, if not for everyone. As far as upcoming games are concerned, Deus Ex looks great, as does the new Tomb Raider. Final Fantasy XIII-2 looks like it could be better than the original, and Versus XIII is still a long ways off, but from what little has been seen looks like the time might be worth it.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By flaminghobo

I've long been of the opinion that Obsidian doesn't make great games, with Fallout: New Vegas being the only exception.

Cosmo811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cosmo811

Eek. My youger brother pre-ordered this from Steam a while back, as he had played the first two like an addicte, and he's getting really hyped up about it while it downloads... from the sound of it, he's gonna be really disappointed :L

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vorbis

It's pretty fun with some buddies on Hardcore, not $60 fun, but still fun.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Hailinel said:

@John1912 said:

@Hailinel: Yea, Im aware, but its published by Square, so it reflects on them. It seems to very much reflect the downward slide of shit they are becoming known for.

Hmm?

Final Fantasy XIII wasn't a bad game. I enjoyed it a lot, actually. Further, Dragon Quest IX is a phenomenal entry in that particular series. The Dissidia games are fun, if not for everyone. As far as upcoming games are concerned, Deus Ex looks great, as does the new Tomb Raider. Final Fantasy XIII-2 looks like it could be better than the original, and Versus XIII is still a long ways off, but from what little has been seen looks like the time might be worth it.

To be fair, you are kind of an outlier Hailinel because you are very pro Japanese game design. Most people who prefer Western games don't resonate with Square anymore at all due to the feeling that they are losing touch with the Western market. That's not to insult you, but you are definitely in the minority.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By FesteringNeon

I heard this game is the reason Rorie left Obsidian

jokies!

LimpingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By LimpingFish
    @President_Barackbar said:

Most people who prefer Western games don't resonate with Square anymore at all due to the feeling that they are losing touch with the Western market.

I don't think Square ever really were in touch with the Western Market. While I may be over-generalizing, Square's success in the West can largely be attributed to the success of FF7, rather than any canny awareness of Western tastes. FF, again in general, has been Square's long-term lifeboat in the West; no other Square franchise has managed to make any bankable impression outside Japan (Front Mission, Parasite Eve, Bushido Blade, Saga Frontier, etc), while games that, on the outside, would have appeared to appeal to Western gamers (Dirge of Cerberus, The Bouncer, etc), aren't particularly fondly remembered over here.

People who are into Square's games, regardless, are the same people who were into them before FF7, who were into them during the decade or so that they enjoyed heightened popularity in the West, and who remain into them now that that wave of popularity has passed.

During that time, Square have remained creatively static...more or less. Their tastes, and the tastes their fans, have never changed.

Which is probably why some people like FFXIII.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DonPixel

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Yeah, yeah thats...goes off to playFallout New Vegas

Fallout New Vegas is great!!.. once was patched

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Isn't this Obsidian's last game? I thought they closed up shop.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sdharrison

I love the pro-Square dude with an anime avatar who was offended that I wanted to play as a male protagonist.  Glorious.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@bartok said:

Lol, certainly not. They're doing just fine.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

@FlamingHobo said:

I've long been of the opinion that Obsidian doesn't make great games, with Fallout: New Vegas being the only exception.

Not a fan of KOTOR 2 or NWN 2, I gather?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @bartok said:
    ...don't be a jinx man, just don't do it.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kashif1
    @John1912 said:
    @Hailinel: Yea, Im aware, but its published by Square, so it reflects on them.  It seems to very much reflect the downward slide of shit they are becoming known for.
    no it does not, they also published MW2 in japan and tht does not reflect on them at all.  Also by your logic square is doing good since they publish for eidos
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel

@sdharrison said:

I love the pro-Square dude with an anime avatar who was offended that I wanted to play as a male protagonist. Glorious.

I wasn't offended that you wanted to play as a male protagonist. It's a justifiable complaint, not being able to pick gender and class separately in a game where you have any form of customizable choices at all.

But seeing as you decided to go ahead and attempt insult me in the most absurd manner possible (what does my avatar have to do with anything? She's not even an anime character), whatever, dude.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By craigbo180
    @Laketown said:

What exactly is right with it?
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By flaminghobo
    @AnimZero said:

@FlamingHobo said:

Not a fan of KOTOR 2 or NWN 2, I gather?

Didn't play either of the KotOR and I disliked NWN2, whilst loving the original.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghostiet

I have to look up the demo, but Dungeon Siege II was one of my favorite hack'n'slashes ever. This looks way too different for my tastes though.

@AnimZero said:

@FlamingHobo said:

Not a fan of KOTOR 2 or NWN 2, I gather?

Both were killed in my book by absolutely tragic coding and endings - KOTOR 2's was boggled by time constraints, NWN 2's by GODDAMN FUCKING LAZINESS. I've pretty much given up on Obsidian after Alpha Protocol, they are Troika all over again and another proof that devs only offering brilliant designers and writers do not work.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@bartok said:

Lol, certainly not. They're doing just fine.

While I was wrong about them closing, they apparently had massive layoffs which most people don't consider "doing fine". 
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @bartok: Nope, the layoffs were standard practice, every company does that after finishing projects after they're done ramping up to release. I don't know why it was considered newsworthy in Obsidian's case.

Edit: I also thought that Dungeon Siege III, even if it is lacking a bit of content for a fullprice game, did make some very good design decisions which improved the ARPG genre by making the action mechanics less trivial and a decent challenge. I'd be surprised if Diablo III doesn't make similar moves, although of course everyone will hop on board because of the Blizzard name.

The Obsidian-hating makes me sad. They've made just about the only decent CRPGs in the past 5 years, not including indies.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dragonzord

@owl_of_minerva said:

@bartok: Nope, the layoffs were standard practice, every company does that after finishing projects after they're done ramping up to release. I don't know why it was considered newsworthy in Obsidian's case. Edit: I also thought that Dungeon Siege III, even if it is lacking a bit of content for a fullprice game, did make some very good design decisions which improved the ARPG genre by making the action mechanics less trivial and a decent challenge. I'd be surprised if Diablo III doesn't make similar moves, although of course everyone will hop on board because of the Blizzard name. The Obsidian-hating makes me sad. They've made just about the only decent CRPGs in the past 5 years, not including indies.

What do you expect from consumers that think Mass Effect 2 is the cutting edge of story development

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By time allen
    @Laketown said:

it's gay, duhhh
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#34  Edited By KillyDarko
    @FlamingHobo said:
    I know it's not a popular opinion, but Alpha Protocol is without a doubt and by far my favorite Obsidian game ^^
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By flaminghobo
    @KillyDarko said:
    @FlamingHobo said:
    I know it's not a popular opinion, but Alpha Protocol is without a doubt and by far my favorite Obsidian game ^^
    Haven't actually played it but I was interested in picking it up a while ago when it was on the cheap.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chrissedoff

as much as we want obsidian to be a good developer, because they usually write good stories, they actually suck at making games. they've had plenty of chances to make good games and failed, so if they go under, it's something i will have seen coming for a long time.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sdharrison

Also, why the hell did they think the thing people were craving so much from a Dungeon Siege game was that trademark Obsidian storytelling?  Not to get to off topic, but it reminds me a bit of MMOs that make a big deal out of story.  There are genres FOR that.  In this case, hack and slash is going to move units based on it's gameplay and addictiveness - NOT mediocre branching stories for characters you care nothing for.  And HOW do you make your entire marketing campaign ABOUT CO-OP and then release a frustrating and poorly implemented co-op mechanic?  GOD who was in charge of this project?!  It's baffling.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aus_azn
    @FlamingHobo said:
    I had the same opinion, but I didn't view New Vegas as an exception.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel

Obsidian does one thing, and only one thing, better than the other major western RPG developers. The characters and stories are in general leagues far more interesting and better than those produced by their rivals. But that's the only thing that they're better at. Even though Fallout: New Vegas is a better game in its storytelling than Fallout 3, it is also a bug-riddled mess of a game that I couldn't bring myself to play more than an hour of before giving up in utter frustration.

How Obsidian continues to get funding for projects despite their completely incompetent QA and bug fixing practices, I have no idea. As a QA engineer and former game tester, I find their ineptitude fucking embarrassing.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By VooDooPC

I really liked Neverwinter Nights 2...

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jams

@Hailinel said:

Obsidian does one thing, and only one thing, better than the other major western RPG developers. The characters and stories are in general leagues far more interesting and better than those produced by their rivals.

Unfortunately it's at the expense of everything else. They may have great characters and stories, but their graphics, gameplay, stability and everything else you can think of is sub-par. Sometimes beyond bad.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Azteck

I bought the game and I love it. What now?

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By ikwal

Has Obsidian ever made any actually good games? Every Obsidian game I've ever played has been both buggy and unpolished.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jimbo
    @ikwal said:

Has Obsidian ever made any actually good games? Every Obsidian game I've ever played has been both buggy and unpolished.

I haven't played DS3 yet, but everything else they've made has been good or great.  If you value polish above all else then you won't like Obsidian games.  Plenty of other developers out their making polished turds though if that's more your thing.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hailinel

@Jimbo said:

@ikwal said:

I haven't played DS3 yet, but everything else they've made has been good or great. If you value polish above all else then you won't like Obsidian games. Plenty of other developers out their making polished turds though if that's more your thing.

There's a difference between "unpolished" and "unplayable." I found Fallout: New Vegas to be the latter.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SlasherMan
    @ikwal said:

Buggy and unpolished =/= a bad game. Some of the best games I've played have been buggy and unpolished.
    Anyway, they did make NWN2 and KOTOR2, and those are definitely good games. Alpha Protocol and New Vegas seem to have a lot of fans, too.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aronman789
    @Laketown said:

A lot of people don't feel comfortable playing a gender that they don't belong to, I used to be that way, but then I realized: "Wait, that's stupid. Its just a bunch of goddamn pixels."
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Daveyo520

They will be fine if one game fails, people are so over dramatic.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jimbo
    @Hailinel said:

@Jimbo said:

@ikwal said:

I haven't played DS3 yet, but everything else they've made has been good or great. If you value polish above all else then you won't like Obsidian games. Plenty of other developers out their making polished turds though if that's more your thing.

There's a difference between "unpolished" and "unplayable." I found Fallout: New Vegas to be the latter.

*shrug*  I managed.  The good critical reception suggests most reviewers found it playable enough too.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#50  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Ghostiet said:

@AnimZero said:

@FlamingHobo said:

Not a fan of KOTOR 2 or NWN 2, I gather?

Both were killed in my book by absolutely tragic coding and endings - KOTOR 2's was boggled by time constraints, NWN 2's by GODDAMN FUCKING LAZINESS. I've pretty much given up on Obsidian after Alpha Protocol, they are Troika all over again and another proof that devs only offering brilliant designers and writers do not work.
    To be fair, I'd rather play Temple of Elemental Evil again than just about any Obsidian game (not to say that I didn't like New Vegas, it's just that TOEE is such an unique experience whereas NV just happens to be a better written Fallout 3). Of course, that's only because that game has gotten so much love from the community and has been modded to a level of stability that should have probably been part of the game in the first place. I still consider Arcanum to be an unabashed train wreck of unfulfilled ambition and unbalanced mechanics though, and I have yet to play Vampire the Masquerade (mostly because it's still like $20 on steam.) but really want to regardless.

The difference between the two (despite a common lineage of being ex Black Isle) is that Troika did their own thing while Obsidian is and (thanks to the financial and critical failure of Alpha Protocol) will continue to be the clean-up crew for everyone else's unused IPs. Either way, you have bug-ridden unfinished messes that are eventually fixed by the community 5 years later (on a related note, the restoration mod for KotOR II doesn't make the story in that game any less bad), but Troika has made the more interesting bug-ridden unfinished messes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.