Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom 3

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 03, 2004

Doom 3, a more story-focused remake of the original Doom, is a sci-fi first-person-shooter that was widely considered the most graphically advanced game available for its time.

First Time Playing Doom 3

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

Edited By mzuckerm

I've been waiting anxiously for Dead Space 2 to come out (I loved the first one enough to watch the related anime movie and read the related graphic novel), and I just couldn't take it any longer.  I needed to get my horror-in-space fix, so I loaded up Doom 3 to try to play through it for the first time.  As a gamer, I grew up on Doom; I played Doom, Doom II, and Quake all through high school, and Quake II and Quake III in college.  I was a big fan of id Software, they always seemed light years ahead of other FPS games at the time (especially when you compared them to console FPS games).  Id games were the reason I could never get into Goldeneye.  Why would I ever play that when Quake III is so much better? 

Anyway, I got it recently on sale from Steam (I think $5 or so), and it's definitely been worth it.  But I've been pretty surprised with what I've liked and what I haven't liked so far.  I've liked the story (which is funny, because as far as I know, past Dooms and Quakes basically didn't have plots).  The voice acting is also done reasonably well.  But the visuals and the combat are pretty so-so. The graphics haven't aged well for a game that isn't really that old (it came out in late 2004).  And the combat feels pretty similar to past Doom games.  There's no cover system, bullet time, or anything else more advanced like that.  In that regard, it doesn't really measure up favorably against, say, F.E.A.R.  But, like in the old Doom games, the level designers can be proud of the various "jump" moments throughout the game, both in terms of quality and quantity.  I haven't seen another game as good at making me react at something popping out behind me.  So good job on that.  

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mzuckerm

I've been waiting anxiously for Dead Space 2 to come out (I loved the first one enough to watch the related anime movie and read the related graphic novel), and I just couldn't take it any longer.  I needed to get my horror-in-space fix, so I loaded up Doom 3 to try to play through it for the first time.  As a gamer, I grew up on Doom; I played Doom, Doom II, and Quake all through high school, and Quake II and Quake III in college.  I was a big fan of id Software, they always seemed light years ahead of other FPS games at the time (especially when you compared them to console FPS games).  Id games were the reason I could never get into Goldeneye.  Why would I ever play that when Quake III is so much better? 

Anyway, I got it recently on sale from Steam (I think $5 or so), and it's definitely been worth it.  But I've been pretty surprised with what I've liked and what I haven't liked so far.  I've liked the story (which is funny, because as far as I know, past Dooms and Quakes basically didn't have plots).  The voice acting is also done reasonably well.  But the visuals and the combat are pretty so-so. The graphics haven't aged well for a game that isn't really that old (it came out in late 2004).  And the combat feels pretty similar to past Doom games.  There's no cover system, bullet time, or anything else more advanced like that.  In that regard, it doesn't really measure up favorably against, say, F.E.A.R.  But, like in the old Doom games, the level designers can be proud of the various "jump" moments throughout the game, both in terms of quality and quantity.  I haven't seen another game as good at making me react at something popping out behind me.  So good job on that.  

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By artelinarose

To me, the lack of cover or bullet time or a fingerless glove meter has always been part of the appeal of Doom. I still go back and play the first two because they're just fun. Sometimes, I don't want a fancy story or gimmicky game mechanics; I just want to switch my brain off and blast demons with a shotgun.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Artemesia:  Yeah, I can understand that feeling.  I find that story matters to me more and more in these games, though, so I'm (so far) pleasantly surprised by that aspect of Doom 3.
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By KillyDarko

Yeah, the linear combat approach in Doom 3 is its main letdown...
    Kinda unrelated: have you tried Prey? Not really survival horror, but it uses the same engine as Doom 3 and has some much more interesting gameplay mechanics, in my opinion. An overall superior game and a real "unknown" FPS gem :)

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us
    @KillyDarko:  I don't remember if I quite finished Doom 3 or not. But I was thinking about replaying it recently but I doubt now I'll go back to it. I agree with you about Prey though, it wasn't great game really but I really enjoyed it and I thought it was a little underrated/over looked as well. Definitely worth a play IMO.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I loved Doom 3. To this day I still don't understand the hate it got. Graphics were great in it's day, shooting felt good, lots of good jump scares, and sweet interactive screens.

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RockAction

I really enjoyed Doom 3, still play it occasionally  

it was jumps scares and stuff but it was great all the same, i had never played a doom game before but i bought the limited edition one for xbox and it came with them so i got to experience those and they're great games too, as @Artemesia says, they're just fun 

started it again recently actually and forgot how atmospheric it was, even the earlier levels just walking around the base

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mzuckerm
    @KillyDarko: Never played the full version of Prey, although I think I might have experimented with a demo at one point.  It looked like a fairly run-of-the-mill shooter at the time, and the backstory that I read about didn't do much for me, but I have heard some good things about it since then.  Is it still worth picking up?
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm

Man, Doom 3 is such an awesome fucking game. I've played through it at least eight or nine times, and I played through Resurrection Of Evil at least two or three times. I just love the atmosphere, the music, and the general attitude.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShaneDev

Doom 3 was good but  to me the worst part of it was that the enemies would spawn in front of you and right behind you in nearly every encounter and it became very predictable.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By KillyDarko
    @mzuckerm said:
    " @KillyDarko: Never played the full version of Prey, although I think I might have experimented with a demo at one point.  It looked like a fairly run-of-the-mill shooter at the time, and the backstory that I read about didn't do much for me, but I have heard some good things about it since then.  Is it still worth picking up? "
    Well, I'd say that if you're enjoying Doom 3 AND you like a few puzzle elements in your FPS then I'd say yes, definitely. Also, there's Portal-styled portals in Prey ;)
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mzuckerm
    @ShaneDev: I've noticed that.  It's gotten to the point where I take out the guy in front of me and then swerve to the side and spin around, because more often than not there's a guy behind me.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

Yep, this game gets lots of unwarranted hate. I loved it.

And yes, you should pick up Prey too.

emnii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By emnii
    @ShaneDev said:
    " Doom 3 was good but  to me the worst part of it was that the enemies would spawn in front of you and right behind you in nearly every encounter and it became very predictable. "
    Yes, and this is really only a problem playing on "veteran" dfficulty. You can only take one or two surprise hits before your health is too jacked to keep going for long. It becomes a game of walk forward, monster closet! (or teleport), take a solid hit or outright die, reload, now you know where the monster closet is and what's in it so you can blast it as soon as it pops open, quick save, repeat. It gets really tedious really fast. 

But on "marine" difficulty, you can take more than a couple solid hits so the monster closets are not such a pain in the ass and the game is a lot more fun. I play through the whole game probably once a year. Looking forward to Doom 4!
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By delta_ass

Remember, there are duct tape mods out there.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I have such fond memories of Doom 3. This and Riddick were my two favorite shooters on the original Xbox. I'm surprised at how well the graphics hold up to this day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.