Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

Bioware's next new IP, what setting would you wish for it?

• 63 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Despite knowing of the existence of the next Mass Effect and Dragon Age iterations, I'm hoping Bioware will also come up with something new and fresh for their first true next generation title - such a thing'll most likely occur in the second or even third generation of software for the upcoming consoles - at least that's what's to be expected from a multilplatform publisher such as EA. There's still hope for a new Bioware-style RPG IP - hopefully.

I'd be extremely excited for a Spartacus-like Gladiator setting in Rome. It's perfect material for a risky first entry of new IP. It all plays in very few locations, the ludus and the arena mostly, and allows them to design lots of elaborate combat scenarios. If it succeeds, the whole slave rebellion angle is right there, to extend it into a trilogy or whatever, if sales warrant such a thing.

If they manage to pull off 3rd person hack 'n slash action like they did 3rd person shooting in Mass Effect, I'd be both excited for the setting, and the core combat gameplay. Loved the combat and combat scenarios in Shadow of Rome. There's lots that can be done with the Rome/Gladiator theme. I'm on board with blood & sand & sex & politics.

What setting would you wish for a new Bioware IP? Historical? Prehistorical? Fantastical? Spy Fiction? Sience Fiction? Cold Warsy? Modern Warsy? Star Warsy? Zombies even? You name it!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Giantstalker

Well, my confidence in Bioware these days notwithstanding, I'd really like to see them handle a historical setting.

The early 20th century, right around the time of the First World War, would be an interesting place to set something. Imagine having the ability to completely change history by altering alliances, or revealing battle plans, and other subversive activity. The world was such a different place; the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian empires still existed, as an example.

Best of all, you can still incorporate shooting, because many of the world's most classic & iconic firearms were "new" around that time. The Lee-Enfield No.4, or the Mauser K98, or the C96 pistol, and many others up to the Lewis or Maxim machine-guns. And back then, there was still cavalry. It's just a really interesting period of time in a lot of ways.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I'd like to see Bioware tackle a modern day setting. Like, a cop protagonist. Think of Mass Effect but as a bad ass detective, essentially.

Yeah. I'd dig that.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By IBurningStar

Cold War era USSR.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By daiphyer

I think we all want a good "Alpha Protocol", don't we?

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Cold_Wolven

An action espionage type game where you're a CIA operative who infiltrates a terrorist organisation and it's the year 2052 and it spans across 3 games where choices really make a difference and everybody's fate is in your hands. The missions are also designed for both action and stealth where if you choose you could totally pass each mission undetected.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mrpandaman

@Daiphyer said:

Yes.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By N7

They mostly make fantasy games so I'm not so sure it would even be based in reality here. I'm not sure where they could go. I'd like to see KOTOR III but SWTOR kind of killed that.

Maybe another traditional RPG like Dragon Age. I don't know. We could definitely use more of those.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Mayu_Zane

@Oldirtybearon said:

I'd like to see Bioware tackle a modern day setting. Like, a cop protagonist. Think of Mass Effect but as a bad ass detective, essentially.

Yeah. I'd dig that.

This.

@Daiphyer said:

This too.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

@Lydian_Sel said:

@mrpandaman said:

@Daiphyer said:

Yes.

Pretty much.

bioware are the wrong people to ask for this. They just can't write as well as Obsidian and hat's what Alpha Protocol was; well written.

edit; maybe not that they can't write well, but they're terrible at being subtle

monochromaticx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By monochromaticx

hmmm I will go with near future with a touch of cyberpunk.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Tylea002
    @Oldirtybearon

Yeah. I'd dig that.

WINNER. Modern day police procedural RPG please. Gimme the adventure game style of evidence collecting with the RPG ability to LEVEL UP WHAT TYPE OF DETECTIVE YOU ARE. Best game ever.

+1 Witness intimidation.
    UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UitDeToekomst

As I get older I am starting to realize that the setting of a game is less important to me. Not sure why that is. That being said, I think I'd be happy with pretty much anything... as long as it's not some zombie apocalypse bullshit.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JackG100

Heavy storybased Viking-RPG without any magic crap.

Or wild west RPG

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Master_Funk

@UitDeToekomst said:

As I get older I am starting to realize that the setting of a game is less important to me. Not sure why that is. That being said, I think I'd be happy with pretty much anything... as long as it's not some zombie apocalypse bullshit.

Yeah, looking at Bioware now, it'll totally be another post-apocalyptic fallout/the road style game, a setting Bioware hasn't tackled yet. Anyone who thinks they'll set a game in a realistic modern day setting may forget that EA wants to sell as many games as possible and post-apocalypses are big right now.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Blade Runner but would rather the LA Noire team have that IP...

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Itwastuesday

I may be alone on this, but I'd like to see a really well done fantasy world. Yeah, I know, I'm a sucker for 'em. Dragon Age: Origins sufficient scratched my tactical RPG itch, but I found the story to be kind of whatever. And Dragon Age 2... let's not talk about!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer

Ancient China!

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phrosnite

Warhammer 40k. Bioware please buy the license. ME style 40k game? I just came ;(

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Jimbo

Age of Sail. The ship part of AC3 fleshed out into a full game, with Bioware story etc. Rome would also be a fantastic setting.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jimbo

And Bioware absolutely would not be able to make a better Alpha Protocol than Obsidian did. What Obsidian did with the story side of things there is way beyond anything Bioware would even attempt.

TommyH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TommyH
    @Animasta

@Lydian_Sel said:

@mrpandaman said:

@Daiphyer said:

Yes.

Pretty much.

bioware are the wrong people to ask for this. They just can't write as well as Obsidian and hat's what Alpha Protocol was; well written.

edit; maybe not that they can't write well, but they're terrible at being subtle

I love Bioware but agree with this. Bioware should do theirown thing, not EAs thing, but their own. Find a project they feel passionate about and go. If they can do that i have cobnfidence in their abilities. If not...
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#24  Edited By BeachThunder

A fantasy setting would be great. And I don't be generic medieval setting either, something fresh and interesting,

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Hunter5024

@Oldirtybearon said:

Yeah. I'd dig that.

I think Bioware's strength lies more in world building, so I think they'd be better suited to a more fantastical setting, but still I totally want to play this game.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kerned

Prohibition. Give me a Boardwalk Empire sort of experience.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morningstar

I want something good.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mister_V

A good alpha protocol game would be nice. Or let them weave there RPG magic on a Lord of the rings game.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Canteu

DnD please.

I know they didn't make NWN2 but they did make 1 and BG1/2. They should find a way to make NWN3.

Bioware needs to make good games again.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Samaritan

Asian-tinged fantasy.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ghost_cat

@Cold_Wolven said:

An action espionage type game where you're a CIA operative who infiltrates a terrorist organisation and it's the year 2052 and it spans across 3 games where choices really make a difference and everybody's fate is in your hands. The missions are also designed for both action and stealth where if you choose you could totally pass each mission undetected.

All the way with this one, but with a bit of noir flavor.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Captain_Felafel said:

Asian-tinged fantasy.

I like this idea.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#33  Edited By Lelcar

I would like Bioware to make a game set in modern-day Japan following the lives of teenaged students as they have to juggle school life and dungeon crawling.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By wrighteous86

Yeah, something along the lines of Persona or the Secret World. A real-world setting with something more fantastical going on behind the scenes. Despite being an atheist, I think more games revolving around Christian mythology, angels and demons, would be cool.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pweidman

@Captain_Felafel said:

Asian-tinged fantasy.

Jade Empire 2?

I'd prefer something futurey myself, like a bladerunner or a space traveling bounty hunter senario with all kinds of capture gizmos, half clue finding/mystery solving and half action.... and maybe some interstallar space combat component.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Samaritan

@pweidman said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

Asian-tinged fantasy.

Jade Empire 2?

I'd prefer something futurey myself, like a bladerunner or a space traveling bounty hunter senario with all kinds of capture gizmos, half clue finding/mystery solving and half action.... and maybe some interstallar space combat component.

While I'd love to see a sequel to Jade Empire, I was actually thinking more along the lines of something completely new and not entirely reliant on Asian culture/mythology, but something fantastical that is informed by Asian culture and mythology. Generally, the fantasy genre is mostly informed by the middle-ages of Europe, both in its aesthetics and its myths. It would be really interesting, I think, if a developer would go into making a fantasy RPG with Asian mythology and aesthetics in mind when influencing the look and feel of that world, much the same way they do today when building a fantasy world and taking inspiration from Europe.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ravenlight

Something involving the moon. Wait. Yes. I want Bioware to remake Majora's Mask.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By musubi

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

Asian-tinged fantasy.

I like this idea.

Like they've already done?

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By haggis

I think it would be cool to do an open-world, urban, cold-war era spy game with RPG elements. Yeah, specific enough? Or an open-world, urban, modern supernatural fantasy. Also with RPG elements. Think of a cross between Grand Theft Auto and Mass Effect, but with either spies or magic.

Basically, I want BioWare to try their hand at an open world RPG. Honestly, I don't give a fuck what the setting is, because it doesn't matter. I'd play it. I'm a bit bored with post-apocalyptic and dystopian settings (yes, they do make nice settings for games, but they've been done to death). I prefer science fiction settings, but basically could be convinced to go with just about anything.

ftrevelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ftrevelin

I´d love to see some Victorian Era RPG world, maybe with some magic throw into it like in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

But what I really want to see is a great bioware game where they really took their time making it right, not something rushed like ME3...

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JZ

Hell

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Justin258

@Captain_Felafel said:

@pweidman said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

Asian-tinged fantasy.

Jade Empire 2?

While I'd love to see a sequel to Jade Empire, I was actually thinking more along the lines of something completely new and not entirely reliant on Asian culture/mythology, but something fantastical that is informed by Asian culture and mythology. Generally, the fantasy genre is mostly informed by the middle-ages of Europe, both in its aesthetics and its myths. It would be really interesting, I think, if a developer would go into making a fantasy RPG with Asian mythology and aesthetics in mind when influencing the look and feel of that world, much the same way they do today when building a fantasy world and taking inspiration from Europe.

What about one involving a different mythology like Greek, or maybe Hindu, or just a combination of all of them.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BoG

@Ravenlight said:

Something involving the moon. Wait. Yes. I want Bioware to remake Majora's Mask.

Or, maybe Final Fantasy IV?

I was thinking they should make a snowboarding game. Not like SSX, like Mass Effect, but with slopes and big air and shredding.

But really, I think it would be cool to see them take on a Cyber Punk/ Blad Runner like setting, as someone else said. CD Projekt Red is going to that setting, though, so maybe it's too much. If not that, then give me something historically inspired, like Jade Empire was. Maybe set during the height of the Mayan civilization?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SomeJerk

I only want quality writing with not a single hack on the staff. (I don't demand much - ME2 was _fine_, even with the terminator baby)

Realistically I'll have to settle for proper noir'y cyberpunk of the kind that just makes you sad and depressed. I love Syndicate and Human Revolution but they don't reach what I want. Syndicate's got the really ugly sides of mankind thing going with jacking people via wetware but it's so daylight.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Benny

I don't think Bioware should make another game where when you pause, the menu is a circle that must be navigated much the same way as a dialogue choice. They also shouldn't make a game with dialogue choices like 'Upper Right good choice' and 'Lower left renegade choice.' I think that style of choice is so done, especially by Bioware themselves. I barely read the choices I was making in ME3 because of this.

I think they should move away from third person action too. There's so much more to bioware than sub-par action games, and they could enjoy great success if they really lean into it. Might be more of an issue with what EA has done to them than anything though :/

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ColinWright

As many others have said, Modern Day would be pretty awesome.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By VoshiNova

I'd really like to see Bioware spread their wings and try a sci-fi.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48  Edited By JasonR86

A setting that is so original that I can't imagine it.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rohok

Something taking place in Ancient Rome, maybe with some fantasy elements. That being said, I probably won't ever buy a Bioware game again. There's no way I can access my 360, and EA doesn't put games on STEAM anymore.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BaneFireLord

Modern day urban fantasy. Basically, I want BioWare to gain possession of the Dresden Files license and do something awesome with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.