Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock: The Collection

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 13, 2016

Remastered versions of the BioShock trilogy in one collection.

Who else is excited to play Bioshock: The Collection?

• 77 results
    crashguy152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't wait to replay the first Bioshock and Infinite. Not a big fan of the second one in the series though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By NTM

@crashguy152: I don't really understand the dislike for the second, other than someone feeling that it's more of the same Bioshock, which I don't find to be an issue.

---

Anyways, it's almost out. I probably won't get it digitally, unless I'm just too excited that I can't wait to go get it retail tomorrow. Maybe being excited for it right now is clouding my judgement, but if not, I think this is the remaster I've been most excited about out of any that has been released yet. The last one would be Metro Redux, and perhaps GTA 5. GTA 5 not as much, but it was the best remaster so far I think (making a superb, though disappointing last-gen version, into one of my favorite open world games). The Last of Us yes, and out of all the remasters, alongside Bioshock, it's my favorite game that was remastered, but it isn't the best remaster, as all it really seemed like was going to 60fps at 1080p, where the PS3 version already seemed top-notch. Compare it to Bioshock Infinite on the other hand, where I feel it will definitely benefit jumping to current-gen for me. It's a lot of fantastic content in this one package, especially considering I loved all of them. The first is the best I think.

Bioshock 2 was more of the same, so the mystery in which made the first so special wasn't there as much, but if you combine the two together as one, I'd say they're probably as good. The major thing, and one word I can think of that makes two worse is just that it's not as special. Infinite on the other hand was special to me for the story it brought, and it being as different as it is to the first is simultaneously the good thing, and the bad thing about it. I didn't like that the focus was taken away from Columbia, but put more on the fantastic characters and the interesting multi-verse story. The issues of Columbia took a backseat to other aspects, even though Columbia is visually beautiful. Plus, you don't backtrack as much, or explore it felt like, but rather you're pushed more in a linear direction, fighting foes in arena-like areas to get to the next story bit, compared to the original, where you'd explore, and somewhat realistically come upon respawning Rapture denizens that seem to dynamically walk around, rummaging through stuff, crazily talking to other crazy splicers, and you can choose to just run past more often than not. Respawning enemies sometimes was annoying, but I liked it more than Infinite's take.

There were a lot less minor characters, which also didn't help the setting feel living. That all said, I still think it was superb for the strong aspects. The story was amazing to me, with interesting characters, the sound design was really good, and though I was way more into Rapture, Columbia is still interesting here and there, and it's visually beautiful.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a few hours into Bioshock 2 and my save didn't work or got corrupted or something and I wasn't a fan of the clunky UI at all so I just didn't bother, but maybe this is a reason to finally play Minerva's den, I heard great things. Always nice to play through the first again, fuck Infinite they missed the mark on that game by a mile, as pretty as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a quite a surprise to me meaning a remaster was not what I was expecting. Still cool Steam owners get the upgrades for free.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... I'm really hoping Digital Foundry puts out a comparison between the PS4 and Xbox One version today, before I get the game. Generally, the PS4 versions are better, so I tend to get those version, but rarely that's not the case, and it's either the One version that's better, or the same, if it's the same, I'll probably get it on the One, just to have more games on there.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By mordukai

I hope Steam will have some sort of a sale for people who already own the 3 games. I'd love to go through the them again but if it's $60 then I'll just skip and play the version I already have.

EDIT: Unbeknownst to me; if you own the original version of the game on PC you'll get the remastered version for free.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai: I thought the update was free on pc if you already own them?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pompouspizza: Yup. My good friend @meierthered just told me that. I pretty much stopped following any game related news about 4 years ago so he is my connection.

CaptainKoonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pumped. I'm a 30 year old that took about a decade off from video games and missed all the Bioshocks(among other games). I got back in with a PS3 a couple years ago and a friend let me borrow Infinite, which I loved.

I've deliberately avoided everything in this thread and other information so I don't get spoiled for the first 2 games (even though I have some expectations based on the nature of Infinite). I know nothing of 1 or 2 other than it's in an underwater city called Rapture, and there are giant dudes called Big Daddies that I assume you have to fight.

I just came here to ask - Does anyone have the PS4 collection? How is it running? I'm excited for this, but in 2016, I'm skeptical of all releases, even remastered games. So please, without spoiling anything for me, someone let me know if this thing is running well on PS4. Thank you!

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainkoonz: For what it's worth, I'm on Xbox One and it runs great. Other then a few bits of dialogue repeating (but it's nothing more then somebody saying one or two words twice and it doesn't mess up what is being said) and even then it's a pretty rare occurrence. The framerate has been very smooth and it looks nice. I haven't heard anything to be amiss with the PS4 version. I'd say check the Bioshock reddit or other places like that on the web for other impressions since I don't blame you being cautious.

CaptainKoonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the PS4 version today, and I'm impressed. I think for once though, I'll probably want to play on the hardest (called Survival I think) with the Vita chambers off. Not the first playthrough, but at some point. I've never beat Bioshock with the Vita chambers off. The game looks really good, and runs really well. I don't remember in the original seeing turtles in the distance swimming. A lot of new little details that add up, with surprisingly better textures, where I thought it might be worse, seeing from the trailers. It's just a clean looking game, and exactly what it needed to be as a remaster in my opinion. I guess my biggest issue, and it's really, super small, because it doesn't actually bother me that much, is that it retains only the option to use one control type, so triangle/Y is jump, R3 aim down sight (though the thing is, I noticed it's not that snappy, so putting it to LT/L2 wouldn't change the feeling too much), etc. I wanted the game to bring a more current feel to it, but again, I've never really minded Bioshock's controls, and that still proves to be the case. I guess the option would have still been nice though. And the last thing is that the subtitles also retain the same look. As someone that always likes to turn on subtitles, in Bioshock, and Bioshock 2 if I remember correctly, the text was a little bigger than I'd want, but less desirable was that there's a fading black bar behind it, which is obtrusive, and for a setting like Rapture, that's not that kind of thing you want; it ruins the immersion a bit. I love it though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By NTM

@captainkoonz: Oh, sorry. I should have replied to you. I got it today on PS4. I only played about an hour or so of the first Bioshock, because I was tired for the whole day, but too excited to miss the chance to get go the game. Anyways, it runs well. For more, you can read my previous comment. Also, have to say it's pretty awesome there's still someone that plays games (even when you left gaming for some time) that doesn't know much of the first (or second for that matter) Bioshock game. What I can tell you, without spoiling it, is that you may not like the shooting as much as Infinite, but also, the emphasis on a few things is a bit different, some reasons why I found Infinite kind of disappointing, yet still superb. The game is what looks like 1080p, at 60fps. It's smooth and clean looking.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already own them all on PC so this is a free update so why the hell not replay them again. And I never did play Minerva's Den.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By NTM

I'm going to play through all games in order of release, so I would have rather waited to see Infinite until I beat two and Minerva's Den even, but my brother, a bigger fan of Infinite than the original, and the only Bioshock he beat, he wanted to try it out, so I watched him play it up until the part where you just get into Columbia, because he was tired and felt like going to bed despite wanting to get to the section where you shoot dudes (when it comes to shooters, he's more of a 'let me just shoot dudes in the face' kind of player, than enveloping himself into the immersion of what the story, and especially setting has to offer, even if he think it looks nice), and I think he knows I'd like to see the game through for myself first. I bought Infinite on all three systems, as I've already said in a previous comment, but without a good enough PC to get max settings, let alone medium at a good resolution, I just didn't have the optimal experience, and with this, I can have that, as best as the console can give, and it's really, really good to me. I'm excited to jump into it when I get there.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm excited. Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games, but I haven't played it in a while. I never played 2 because it wasn't from Irrational and didn't seem like a canonical game to the first. I never finished Infinite. A little surprised by some of the negative comments in here towards the original.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Sure, I might dive into some Bioshock 2 on the PC since I never got the chance to drill into it when it came out.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godzilla_sushi said:

I just had the best time playing through Bioshock 2. I really didn't like the first game and the third game was unbalanced in weird ways. But that second game hit my sweet spot. I can almost guarantee that's why people hate it, because I actually enjoyed it. LOL. I'll be looking forward to playing them again. 2 and 3 are great games and 1 has a great story. I really just don't enjoy playing it.

I have always said this about Bioshock 2: It is an unneccesary sequel, but it is very close to the best it possibly could have been. There were so many warning signs for it being garbage (different development team, weird new concepts like Big Sisters, retcons to the story), but the fact that it successfully builds on Bioshock is what makes it fantastic (it easily has superior combat and a more meaningful moral choice system that doesn't turn the player into super Hitler or the reincarnation of Jesus), and people really shouldn't discount it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@adequatelyprepared: You kind of are super Hitler or super Jesus in Bioshock 2, even more so than Bioshock 1 in certain ways since not only are you a monster yourself, but you also turn someone potentially innocent into a monster as well. Infinite is the only game in the series where your morality is kind of ambiguous.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Fair enough, though I do think that the fact that your choices influence someone else, as opposed to locking your character into a specific path is still a neat idea.

I forgot to mention what I think is by far Bioshock 2's weakest point, at least with the narrative, and this is the rejigging of ADAM to be this catch-all plot device that does whatever the writers want it to do. ADAM in Bioshock 1 had a pretty set purpose and function, whereas in Bioshock 2 it kind of becomes magic. It's kind of like what happened with the Force when the Star Wars prequels came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I hope more people will give Bioshock 2 a chance because of this collection. It might not have a great story but in terms of actual gameplay I think it is much better than 1 and Infinite. Plus Minerva's Den might be the best piece of DLC content ever made save for Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok: Not sure why you think Bioshock 2 has a not-so great story. I think it's superb, though not as good as the other two.

@hippie_genocide: Bioshock 2 is definitely canonical. As for the negative comments, I can somewhat agree, though many people simply dislike the shooting, and it kind of ruins it from what I understand.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#74  Edited By alistercat

Has Bioshock 2 received as much of an overhaul as Bioshock 1? The lighting differences in 1 are quite striking. I may replay them both or just 1 and minervas den since 2 doesn't contain commentary.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Platinum'd the original Bioshock already.

A pretty straight forward and faithful, HOWEVER, there are a few small negatives parts to it:

Some of the medical stations cant be broken which means you cant destroy them for free medkits, you get stuck on geometry a lot more now (I would say I got stuck simply trying to walk through a door or set of stairs maybe 20 times through the whole game) and there's a few odd overlooks, like the fire puzzle in the beginning of Arcadia is already solved before you get there or a few spots where the water texture is non-translucent and seems to show the bumpmap instead of the actual texture. There was also a lot of issues with trophies unlocking; I got every single trophy except for beating the very first level, which I did afterwards and now its my last earned trophy for the platinum.

Still though, it was really fun playing through it again. On to Bioshock 2

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished the first game. Maybe it was because I just read through Bioshock: Rapture, but this may have been my second favorite time going through the game (out of the now six times). The feeling of sorrow I kind of got for the inhabitants of Rapture was stronger than it may have ever been (I mean, I didn't cry; it wasn't like that), knowing how they're all treated, when they went to Rapture expecting a better life. Also, I don't remember Sinclair or Gil Alexander ever being mentioned in the first game, but they are in one audio log. Weirdly, I either didn't get a trophy (or there is no trophy for it), but I didn't pick up all the audio logs it seems, although I explored everywhere I could. I'll probably go through the game a seventh time. I want to see how the game plays on survival with the vita chambers off. It'll have to come later though, when I've gone through the other content. I think the commentary is implemented well, considering I hope people go through the game, and that's the only way you're going to see it as it forces you to seek them out throughout the game, unless you just want to watch it on YouTube probably...

Avatar image for gratefuldead207
    gratefuldead207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up this collection for the chance to be able to play through the series. Bioshock was the first game I played on my Xbox 360 and was a big reason I am here discussing games today. The first one really holds up well and I was surprised just how much fun I had playing it again. I have started playing Bioshock 2 which will be the first time playing through it. They do such a good job with the world and the story telling within it. I can't wait to get to Bioshock infinite seems I had never made it through the full game. All in all for $60 on PS4 I believe it's a great deal if you are fond of the Bioshock series.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick: just finished Bioshock on hard last night. It holds up so well!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.